Simon Cowell: 'X Factor' in U.S. won't have rules
October 19th, 2010

Simon Cowell: 'X Factor' in U.S. won't have rules

You can expect the unexpected when Simon Cowell brings his UK talent competition "The X Factor" to the U.S. next year.

"I’m not going to tell people in advance what we’re doing," he teased to Deadline.com. "What I will say is that it will be like nothing else you’ve seen before on American TV, I guarantee you that."

What's more, the former "American Idol" judge says the show will have zero rules.

"I can’t bear rules. For instance, I’ve never liked the idea you have to be a certain age to be a pop star," Cowell explained. "I like the idea that anybody can enter, anybody can compete. And obviously the fact that groups can compete as well as individuals...[T]here’s a lot of talent in America and there’s a lot of people over the age of 30 who want to get to these shows as well. It should be a 14-year-old competing against a 50-year-old competing against the next ‘N Sync."

"American Idol" will continue to run on Fox from January to May, with "The X Factor" airing from September to December. And while "Idol" has a judges panel that includes Jennifer Lopez, Randy Jackson and Steven Tyler, Cowell says his colleagues haven't yet been cast.

"The only person that’s been booked is me," he says. "We’re trying to keep it as open as possible. People approach me to be on it all the time. It’s not about booking well-known people, it’s putting together a panel that hopefully Americans will relate to and like. There will be some surprises, genuinely some surprises."

1. Sergi

I'd love to apply but I'm fro Spain and I'm 16 , do you know if they allow people from outside us apply ?

November 16, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. media007

Cheyl Cole will be an instant hit- She is without a doubt top 5 best looking in the world, and our viewer will like her personality. And I have no problem understanding her accent (many in UK have suggested this would be a problem. I do however have trouble a times unstanding Dermott but his accent is better this year)...... On the other hand, Sharon Osbourne is an aweful idea. I think she is far more appealing to the uk than the us. The America's Got Talent judging panel is a gimmicky mix, similar to how the Idol panel will be with J-Lo, Tyler, etc. Vs the X Factor UK panel which is a great mix (mostly bc of simon, cheryl, and to some extent Danii). I think Shania Twain would be a good Danii figure? And maybe even Ronan or Guy from Au.

October 22, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  3. Marta

Sorry miss typed last sentence lol This is going to be huge!!!

October 20, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. Marta

I cant wait X Factor USA to start!! I love the GB version and watched all seasons. Simon is amazing! I think Sharon Osborne will be a wonderful judge but she is already on AGT and my feeling is that Simon will hire American judges for this show. This is going to be judge!!! mark my words :)

October 20, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  5. dnote

Isn't this Americas Got Talent 2? Seriously, isn't it the exact same concept, no rules, anyone can tryout, any age, any talent. Sounds exactly the same to me.

October 20, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  6. Caracoles

What about Paula Abdul? Is she still a runner up as a judge?

October 20, 2010 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  7. Ric

Oh great!... more TV with "no rules." Just what we need.

October 20, 2010 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  8. nail ideas

Whatever happened to singers and bands getting started in pidly a$ bars and clubs before a talent scout found them? Why is evrything decided by tv these days? And I mean EVRYTHING. Talent, your self image...so much for actual talent and hard work I guess.

October 20, 2010 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  9. Amazing

tinyurl.com/399xoyr

October 20, 2010 at 7:01 am | Report abuse |
  10. A

Hire me as a judge for 'The X-Factor'. Seriously. I won't even ask for an outrageous salary. America is the best judge of talent, and I feel that I could represent the common person's subjectivity when it comes to new faces on the music scene.

October 20, 2010 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
  11. mglaze68

This show is gonna flop. With shows like American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance, America's Got Talent, and Dancing With The Stars, the American TV market is already over satutated with these type of Reality Talent Shows. When X-Factor hits the airwaves next year, people are gonna be burned out with this genre of television.

October 20, 2010 at 2:54 am | Report abuse |
  12. eroc

Hope it replaces american idol and actually gives people who have talent a shot. American idol has gotten horrible with too many directors.

October 20, 2010 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
  13. patricia lumaava

I definitely predict that it will be a much bigger show and more people will watch it than American Idol! Its no rules and any talent at any age! It should be very interesting!!!!

October 20, 2010 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
  14. patricia lumaava

Oh I can't wait to watch it! No rules! This is great to showcase any talent at any age!!
    Paula Abdul, Sharon Osbourne, and a music producer or mogul would be a great team!

October 20, 2010 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  15. patricia lumaava

That's great! You can be talented at any age!! Now for a panel of judging?! Paula Abdul, of course Simon Cowell and Sharon Osbourne and Mic Jagger or Ringo Starr!

October 20, 2010 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |
  16. mike johnson

This is ridiculous. The media is so shameful in actually assisting the hype of things as this article does by "working" the readers into thinking there is a mystery surrounding what the show will be. X FACTOR IS AN AMERICAN VERSION OF SIMON'S BRITISH SERIES THAT ALSO IS IN OTHER COUNTRIES. All you have to do is read up on the show.

October 20, 2010 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  17. Oodoodanoo

Make way for General Larry Platt!

October 20, 2010 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  18. Margo Zargo

Sounds like another remake of the famous "Gong Show" to me.

October 19, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Michelle

I would welcome Sharon Osbourne.

October 19, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Valry

I HOPE I'LL GET A CHANCE TO ENTER SIMON'S SHOW – IT'S A LONG TIME TRYING TO GET ON ONE – LETS SEE.

October 19, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Shadowspawn

I agree with andi. I remember seeing big name acts in small venues and bars. To name a few... Godsmack, Disturbed, the list is endless. What is next how our country is ran by the results of people calling in. No thanks you can keep the change. I'll keep my freedom, job, and my money

October 19, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Valry

I HOPE I'LL GET A CHANCE TO ENTER – IT'S A LONG TIME TRYING TO GET ON ONE – LETS SEE.

October 19, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Rodney

I hope Simon chooses Sharon Osborne. i find her fascinating and think she is wasting her talent on America's got Talent. She belongs with strictly music.

October 19, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Hmmm...

If there's any justice in this world Cheryl Cole (nee Tweedy) will be one of the judges...I know you have no idea who she is but you will.

October 19, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Agreer

I total agree with this move, if she is healthly and want to come to america. My guess is she will be the next 'it" girl. Not to mention she is a good judge of talent.

October 20, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Ben

yes, please!

October 20, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  25. andi

Whatever happened to singers and bands getting started in pidly a$$ bars and clubs before a talent scout found them? Why is evrything decided by tv these days? And I mean EVRYTHING. Talent, your self image...so much for actual talent and hard work I guess.

October 19, 2010 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Red

TV offers a door to break in the business. I wouldnt say these people dont have talent, they just get a bigger audience. Underwood, Daughtry and Lambert all have actual talent and sound great live without the vo-coders, and synth crap most new artists (ahem) use today. I prefer the talent we get from TV becuase they have to have real voices.

October 19, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick

Funny, I thought everyone was finding fame on YouTube...

October 19, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • mmi16

Performers still get started in piddly assed bars and lounges....You don't get stage presense with having been on stage. Singing in your shower and singing for a TV audience are totally different occurences. Singing on TV takes a lot of self confidence...self confidence you don't gain without being battle tested in the bars and dives that 'feature' live music.

October 20, 2010 at 3:33 am | Report abuse |
  26. buddy

Sweet, sweet vicarious existence.

October 19, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |