Shannen Doherty: I own up to my mistakes
October 19th, 2010

Shannen Doherty: I own up to my mistakes

“Beverly Hills, 90210” star Shannen Doherty is opening up about learning from her mistakes.

The actress just finished her first book, “Badass: A Hard-Earned Guide to Living Life with Style and (the Right) Attitude," a title she chose because "You can either be a bad girl in life, or you can become a badass," she explained in an interview with Parade.

"It means owning who you are and being compassionate and knowing when you've made a mistake and not repeating it," Doherty added. "And, also not being afraid to kick some ass and take names."

The book "is a little tongue in cheek," Doherty admitted, "But, at the same time, it's very poignant because it's sort of telling the things that I went through and the mistakes that I made when I was in my 20s. I had this amazing career in front of me and because of some things I did, my career really suffered. Thank God that I've had some second chances."

The 39-year-old actress is now trying to drop her notorious reputation.

"I have a rep. Did I earn it? Yeah, I did. But, after awhile you sort of try to shed that rep because you're kind of a different person," she said. "You've evolved and all of the bad things you've done in your life have brought you to a much better place."

While she recognizes her mistakes, Doherty says that by today’s standards she wouldn’t seem like such a bad girl.

“If I was doing the same stuff now, I wouldn't be getting the attention. Like I never did a sex tape. I never didn't wear panties and flash a camera. You sort of stop and go, 'Wow, it's sort of what's acceptable now,'" Doherty said. "And, then, they always have excuses. When I made a mistake, I would admit to it. These girls don't seem to see their own mistakes, much less learn from them."

After her recent spotlight during season 10 of “Dancing with the Stars,” the actress is starring in the new Hallmark movie “Growing the Big One,” which premieres October 23.

1. JMO

Loved her in Charmed, was not impressed with her in 90210 actually. Shannon did dumb things when she was a kid, look at some of the young actresses today who have done worse, gone to jail, you name it they do it. Perhaps in her 20's she got a bad rep then she did blast most of the shows she was on when she left. As for a career now??? Good luck with that!

October 20, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Frank

Good on her for owning up to her wrong doings. And she is totally right when it comes to the train wrecks we have around now. Things are really going in the toilet. There's no rules and ethics anymore and not many people care. They'll be sorry when it all falls apart.

October 19, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bob

The only thing bad about Shannon is her plastic surgery.

October 19, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kris

I watched BH 90210 when I was younger.. loved her as Brenda Walsh but wish she'd revamp her career with a decent show or movie.

October 19, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kate

She is the furthest thing from badass. Real badasses don't brag about "being badass". Somebody shut her ridiculous mouth up.

October 19, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Leandro

why must so many people post in all caps? She hit her peak in Mallrats.

October 19, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. SHANA

SHE WAS A BAD ASS & MADE POOR CHOICES IN HER 20'S DUE TO HEAVY DRINKING - SHE IS A MATURE WOMAN NOW – MOVE ON & CONTINUE ON THE RIGHT PATH.....& HOPEFULLY GET WORK....

October 19, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. teamster-24[39]

revizalize. cough cough. sweet.

October 19, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. teamster-24[39]

i just got donkey gonked. http://cozymuganddubdug.blogspot.com/ that's just randomization of optimization. later. but we're almost there. i picked out a few chips. cough cough few. we want more pudding. i gotta go now. i doubt i'll eat pudding.

October 19, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jillmarie

I like her too! 90210 4-evah!!! Agree- Shannen was great on DWTS!

October 19, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Cheeks

I still love her. She's a great actress and it takes good character and self-reflection to understand how your own actions have impacted your opportunities in life. There could never have been a better Brenda or Pru! And you were robbed on DWTS! Love you Shannon!

October 19, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • 90210ver

I like her but only because I was a huge fan of 90210. She is by no means a great actess or even a good one. Glad she owns up to her mistakes – go on with your bad seld Shannen!

October 21, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |