'Iron Man 3' gets release date
October 19th, 2010

'Iron Man 3' gets release date

Steel yourselves, "Iron Man" fans – the third installment of the hit movie starring the metallic Marvel character has an official release date. According to SlashFilm.com, "Iron Man 3" – which hasn't yet started filming – will arrive in theaters on May 3, 2013.

Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow are expected to reprise their roles as billionaire Tony Stark and his love interest/former assistant Pepper Potts for the third go-round. Meanwhile, director Jon Favreau has told MTV he'd like to see Iron Man doing battle with his archnemesis The Mandarin, a martial artist who wears 10 magical rings that produce everything from fire to ice to disintegration beams.

Before Downey suits up for that film, however, he'll be playing Iron Man in the superhero ensemble "The Avengers." Set to star Mark Ruffalo as The Hulk, Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Chris Evans as Captain America and "Iron Man 2" star Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow, the film is set to land on the big screen May 4, 2012.

Post by:
Filed under: movies • Summer movies

1. Superhiro

Hope they actually put Iron Man's arch enemy in this. We're already on the third movie and we haven't even seen the Mandarin yet? Just get Ken Watanabe to play him. He's the go-to guy for super powered ancient asian guys. Either him or Chow Yun Fat.

June 13, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Reggie

Want to be a character in a book or just help a up and coming writer? Visit http://www.indiegogo.com/The-Power-Chronicles

June 13, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Hollywood E Rock

I for 1 enjoyed IM2 cause I saw it for what it was & that was a gear up for the avengers movie so that's the reason for so many extra characters but I will say there could have been an extra action scene or 2, but w/the 3rd chapter being after the avengers w/can expect the 3rd movie 2 go back 2 just focussing on the 3 main charaters Robert,Don, & Gwyneth. Oh & who ever the villian is for this upcoming film.

October 20, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Blaqboi

I think it sucks the fact they replacing Norton as The Hulk!!!! They finally had the perfect guy for the part and now they screwed it up. Anyone knows why?

October 20, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  5. Vision77

Speaking of reboots....can we get a Spawn reboot...oh and they should have kept Ed Norton as the Hulk....As far as IM3 I dont wanna get my hopes up.

October 20, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  6. JoseF

IM2 was over crowed, and boring. This will doom the Avengers: too many 'star" heroes with no room for charactor developement. They better go back to XMen 1 & 2 to see how to handle more than one hero correctly. Marvel is doomed.

October 20, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  7. Garth

Party on Wayne!

October 20, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  8. Wayne

Party on Garth!

October 20, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  9. Tron

The original Ironmam movie rules over all the others.Gwyneth Paltrow is a natural and intelligent beauty. I just watched it using LiveTVworldwide.com service.

October 20, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  10. Tron

The original Ironmam movie rules over all the others.I just watched it using LiveTVworldwide.com service.

October 20, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  11. Collin

Hopefully, its more like Ironman 1 than Ironman 2, both were good but the 1st one was far superior.

October 20, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  12. tyson

Ironman 2 sucked

October 20, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  13. the trout

Really? Mark Ruffalo as Hulk? I don't see it. Wow Hulk has been through a lot. Too bad Ed won't be revisiting the role. He was solid.
    As for IM2, I agree with most of what's been said. I thought it was entertaining but not much more than that. #3 will have to bring some serious action and acting chops to keep the series alive for me.

October 20, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  14. Ric Merrifield

Hollywood has proven the viability of superhero movies, they should experiment more with female superheroes. Wonder Woman is probably not edgy enough for crowds of today, but someone ought to be able to figure out a great character.

October 20, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  15. chanel

Iron man2 was a very bad movie no if in but, it put me to sleep I am a movie person I know movie in that was not a movie.

October 20, 2010 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  16. T

I'm a big fan of Superhero movies and I just hope the upcoming Avengers movie don't suck....
    I've seen way too many turkeys and very few jewels when it comes to the superhero movie genre... ESPECIALLY when it comes to sequels...

Remember turkeys like Superman III & IV ? Or Every Batman movie after Keaton's first movie which ended in Batman & Robin (yikes ! But I was so grateful for the Christopher Nolan reboots). Or even Barb Wire – ruined by a talentless actress and a bad plot.

Keep your fingers crossed for a good script, great acting, superb FX and lots of fun for IM3 and the AVENGERS and good luck to the new SPIDER-MAN reboot coming our way.

Also, I agree, HULK w/ Bana wasn't very good (Yeesh !) – the second w/ Norton was better but I do miss Jennifer Connelly.

October 20, 2010 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  17. plumbman5000

I didn't like the first IRONMAN and I really enjoyed the comics as a kid. Didn't want to see the sequel and now I'll ad this one to the no-see list.

October 20, 2010 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  18. George

Iron man 2 was very good, but really? Since when are sequels as good as the first. I think the director wanted a similar vibe but with a different twist. And he got it done well. Robert was outstanding and scarlet was outstanding as well.

October 20, 2010 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Posh-Kenneth

@George- you said "Since when are sequels as good as the first" well I can list some that are AS GOOD if not better: Empire Strikes Back, Dark Knight, Aliens, Terminator 2, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, X-Men 2 (not a great movie but still better than the first in the series), Godfather Part II, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II (freakin ninja rap yo)...

I can go on? Yeah there are more duds than not as far as sequels go but I wouldn't list Iron Man 2 in with the crappiest of all time, not even on a bad day.

October 20, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Brooke

WOOOOO snap Posh-kenneh, that list was right on! If George can't agree with those then the doods got no taste in movies. Nice job XD

October 20, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Obama

tinyurl.com/399xoyr
    coming soon

October 20, 2010 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
  20. alexfem82

Several things I would like to point out: Edward Norton didn't replace Eric Bana in a sequel, it was an entirely separate movie because Marvel (and most others) thought the original rendition was trash. Secondly, Captain America is currently filming and the kid who played The Human Torch in Fantastic 4 is playing him. As for Terrance Howard being replaced, well it goes like this: don't be a diva and get a big head! Just like Ms. Fox being replaced in Transformers 3. While I dislike the disruption in continuity it creates, I think Don Cheadle lent IM2 an air of maturity that Howard never could have pulled off. He was stuck between betraying his country or his best friend; that required a depth Howard has yet to tap... Sorry.

October 20, 2010 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
  21. Gerald

Hope IM3 good cause the IM2 wasn't goog

October 20, 2010 at 6:14 am | Report abuse |
  22. Serge

S.J. is stolen biological material, taken against will and formed to clones line 200 pieces total. Sign of dangerous criminal activity. Original Scarlett Galabekian future pediatrician doctor, pediatrician nurse license she obtained in 2008.

October 20, 2010 at 3:17 am | Report abuse |
  23. amithest

Im1 was great im2 couldnt really keep my attention actually kind of bored meto a point but a 2 of 5 stars on that movie from me.

October 20, 2010 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  24. PaTX

Thank you ronald beck!!!!!! someone knows what the hell is going on

October 20, 2010 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  25. PaTX

Jesus people! im1 was great, im2, not so much. you cant change out major supporting actors/es and expect the sequel to compare! look at the hulk. eric bana is great, and then you get edward norton? its like laurel playing hardy!!!!

October 20, 2010 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
    • George

I am sorry, but Ed Norton was awesome playing Bruce and that version of the hulk to me its better than any movie that has Nick Nolte LOL.

October 20, 2010 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  26. selfmade

Im waiting on a Captain American movie..

October 20, 2010 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  27. selfmade

IM2 could of been better, period.

October 20, 2010 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  28. Mike

Another actor playing The Hulk?! Oh come on.....
    Hopefully IM3 will be an improvement over IM2.

October 20, 2010 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  29. Ronald Beck

Ironman 2 wasn't as good as I had anticipated. It would've been better if not for loosing Terrance Howard. You can't yank and replace an important charachter like that. It jeopardized the whole outcome of it overall. Terrance Howard played his friend as well. I think they need Terrance Howard back. 3 out of 5 stars for the movie. They loose Robert Downey jr or Gwenyth Paltrow they may as well start all over!

October 20, 2010 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  30. that_guy

I was disappointed with Iron Man II. Mostly I was mad about the over stocking of characters and the too many story lines. I wanted to see a more complex Tony is dying thing.

October 20, 2010 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  31. Steve

I had just seen the Tranformers movie a week or two before IM2, and the final battle went on waaaaayyy toooooo loooonnnggg in that movie, so when I saw the final battle in IM2, I was very happy to not have to endure the same fate. I thought IM2 rocked almost as much as IM1, but for slightly different reasons which kept it interesting beginning to end. I can't believe we have to wait until May 2013 for IM3 :-( At least Bob Jr. and GP are supposed to reprise their roles.

October 20, 2010 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  32. Paul

Awesome I hope it isn't as hurried as the second one

October 19, 2010 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  33. t-daddy

I just wanna say all ya'll sound like u need to get out the house more!

October 19, 2010 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Ericka

Not going to see the Avengers after the horrific fiasco with Edward Norton. They owe him big time and he was the best actor for the part.

October 19, 2010 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Name*Tony

"Enemy Mine" with Dennis Quaid was better than Iron Man 2.Yeah,true crap.

October 19, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  36. slippery pete

Screw em all bring on aquaman!

October 19, 2010 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  37. luke

you are all haters! im1 and im2 are sweet!

October 19, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  38. byron

please dont repeat the blunder of IM 2

October 19, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  39. charles

Iron man 2 battle with villian was horrible!!

October 19, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  40. wrlord

"this other actor" ?? That was Don Cheadle. Guy's a brilliant actor. What rock have you been hiding under? What did Terrence Howard ever do besides Iron Man (and he wasa pretty lame Rhodey)?

October 19, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bmore

I agree Wrlord. Don Cheadle is one helluva actor and Terrance Howard can't hold a candle to him. I thought IM2 was okay. If you've followed the comic books, Tony Stark did have his dark side and his drinking side, etc. I just love that Hollywood has done justice by the book and the special EFX are just great. Why has it taken so long to do a good movie on THOR!!!!

October 19, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • LoveStark

I was a little iffy about the changing of Rhodey in IM2, but Don Cheadle was awesome and played the character unbelievable better than Howard did. I wish they could go back in and dub him into the first movie so we can forget Howard ever played Rhodey.

October 19, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  41. cavemanstyle

Man.. bring forth, The Beyonder. Doesn't anyone remember Secret Wars II, when Spider-Man first gets his black costume, and this super-villain tears everyone up bigtime? lol ... Iron Man won't stand a chance though, so.. maybe we shouldn't : )

October 19, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  42. renee

Iloved the movie can't wait for the 3,bring back terrance howard he was missed, I didn't like the vibe from this other actor

October 19, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  43. dillgaf

thunder cats is not a movie because it's wack

October 19, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  44. j

dj am did pass recently the movie was filmed before he died

October 19, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  45. monie

I thought IM2 was all right,special efx was great and I thought DJ AM died recently? Oh yeah would love to see a thundercats movie! Along with that, how about a jonny quest movie?

October 19, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Michael

Something to look forward to. Too bad Roarke's character died – he's the coolest villain since the new joker..

October 19, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Jeff

IM3 will not repeat the mistakes of IM2. Why has Hollywood not made THUNDERCATS yet???

October 19, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Name*Tony

Yawwwnnn.

October 19, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Vezalo33

I wish IM2 would have focused more on Whiplash, and the fear felt by Tony Stark. IM3 will probably suck, but I'll still watch it.

October 19, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Keith R.

I think Iron Man 2 fell short because it was a "downer" movie. We want to see On-Top-Of-The-World Tony (even when he's not really on top of the world) out with his suit and gadgets kicking some serious bad guy ass! Instead, we got drunk, let's assign a baby sitter and shut him away – Tony. Bring back "I Am Iron Man" Tony.

Do that, and the third will be awesome, I'm sure.

October 19, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Mei

The second Iron Man fell flat because director Jon Favreau tried to serve a smörgåsbord instead of sticking to a complex story, with Downey as a central issue. There was too much Widow, Hammer, Rhody and Whiplash. In fact, the ending was way too simplistic to a formidable opponent. He should have went the way of Superman II (got butt whooped and then found a way to overcome the odds). I hope Jon is listening.

October 19, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Jason Glugla

Iron Man 2 was already a big let down from the first one and the 3rd will likely be an even bigger drop.

October 19, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  53. khocolatemoose

I hear ya cheefsfury, Spiderman 3 was definitely a mistake on multiple levels, especially if you compare it to the second film in the trilogy. I must admit that I saw the first Iron Man film expecting it not to work, but it did, mainly because Downey did such a great job at making the character complex. Is it just me, or did the sequel fall a bit flat? I mean it was fun, but it didn't seem to capture the energy and charisma the first film delivered. The odd thing is, I can't really explain why. Let's hope the third film is better than the last. Although I'll definitely miss the dramatic crying scene from old Mickey Rourke; it was beautiful.

Please feel free to join the conversation about action films at http://khocolatemoose.wordpress.com/

I'd love to hear your opinion, and often.

KM

October 19, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  54. cheefsfury

I HOPE HE DOESNT GO ALL EMO LIKE SPIDERMAN DID IN SPIDERMAN 3 THAT WAS SUCH A BAD MOVIE

October 19, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ronald Beck

Yea, only one goodthing came out of Spiderman3. Poor little Topher Gracie got to play in a real movie! LOL! Not a REAL movie, but a movie. Ahhh, I bet Ashton's proud!

October 20, 2010 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Dimples

The article is about Iron Man 3,not Spiderman!!!

October 20, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |