'Sesame Street' videos hit with adults as well
October 15th, 2010

'Sesame Street' videos hit with adults as well

If we’d had the ability to tweet, Facebook “like” and otherwise share stuff we think is awesome online back in the ‘70s and ‘80s, no doubt classic "Sesame Street" clips like the “Pinball Number Count” would have gone viral like some of the “Street’s” latest segments.

Aside from the Katy Perry cleavage debacle (a video that made its Web rounds despite the fact that it won’t actually air on the children’s program), there have been a string of other videos passed around like lightning online, like Grover’s take on the now iconic Old Spice commercial “Smell like a Monster” and this week’s ode to rocking what you’ve got, “I Love My Hair.”

The Old Spice parody falls in the vein of some of “Sesame Street’s” other spoofs on more adult themes, like when HBO’s “True Blood” turned into “True Mud,” or when they did a riff on the AMC hit “Mad Men.”

In the video, Grover dons a towel in a replica of the now-familiar bathroom, and tells his viewers to look at themselves and then back to Grover. Sadly, his viewers aren’t monsters, but that doesn’t mean they can’t know what the word “on” means! “Anything is possible when you smell like a monster and know the word ‘on,’” he explains at the end.

But “Sesame Street” doesn’t limit its educational bits to just vocabulary, letters and counting – they also take on topics that affect self-esteem, like appreciating one’s natural hair color and texture.

In a video featuring the catchy tune “I Love my Hair,” a brown girl puppet tells viewers, "Don't need a trip to the beauty shop, 'cause I love what I got on top," and goes on to describe all the things her hair can do and how much she loves it just as it is.

What’s your favorite “Sesame Street” video, be it old or new?

Filed under: television

1. StarWisher

I LOVED the Ladybugs' Picnic song growing up, and was so happy to find it online 20 years later.

October 27, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. portalpunk

I love that chant by cookie monster and Big Bird, "No means yes, yes means anal."

October 19, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  3. vangie

You take the golden AN, to the tan van, and give it to Fran, who'll take it to Dan. That's the plan.

October 18, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Al

A couple of great ones. Kermit the Frog and his reporting of the 3 little pigs house being blown down. Also and this one is from the muppets. The mahnahmah song. That is a very good one and is on youtube.

October 18, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. OldAsDirt

On the Subway – "You can lose your purse, or you might lose something worse on the subway...SUBWAY"

October 18, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Just a Muppet nut

There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza,
    there's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, a hole,
    Well, fix it dear Henry, dear Henry,
    Well, fix it dear Henry, dear Henry, fix it.
    With what, dear Liza, dear Liza,
    with what, dear Liza, dear Liza with what?...........

October 18, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Adam Lambertisaphony

My favorite is Grover singing, "The Wetback that Mows our Yard"

October 18, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. AjtheMighty

Holy COW! There are some awesome memories here... but no one has mentioned the "NO" song (and the word is no! no no no no no no no... no... no!) and not to mention my absolute favorite skit/song of ALL TIME: Captain Vegetable!!
    It is I! Captain Vegetable! With my carrot, and my celery! Pure awesome...

October 18, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sensamia street

B is for bong.

October 18, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. SARGE

Holy cow, where to start? Some of my favorites:
    Paul Benedict (Mr.Bentley from "The Jeffersons") as the Number Painter. I loved those!
    The spaceship that dropped off the lowercase n
    Grover the Waiter (the gigantic hamburger...the alphabet soup..."HEY CHARLIE!!!...)
    The little red ball that rolled through the flags..etc. which got turned into powder or cherries on the sundaes
    The chef that wiped out with the cakes, pies...etc.
    "My name is Fred...my name is Fred...when I get up I like to butter a slice'o.....BREAD!!"
    The spaceship that dropped off the lowercase n
    "It's Springtime" is a beautiful little song/visual which makes me happy and sad at the same time. The seasons, as the years in our lives...go so fast.

And oh yeah, I can definitely confirm...it is a CONTAINER of milk, folks. Trust me.

Sesame Street hands down taught me more about letters, numbers, and reading than anything I learned early on in school. They took learning and made it FUN. The colors, the catchy tunes, the characters. Nothing on TV today is even close. I tried to watch Sesame Street of today and was very disappointed, There is hardly any of what made it special or original back in the day (CGI characters, mundane lessons...etc.). My 7 year old daughter and I will catch some old Sesame clips on YouTube and she enjoys it like I did.

October 18, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bk

b is for bubble and bubble gum...

October 18, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  12. cavemanstyle

How'bout this one: "I Loooveee TRASSHH! .. " .. : )

October 18, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Child, Please!

Ernie's "Imagine That" song. "And I tip my hat! (Dahh-dahh-dah-da!) Imagine THAT?! (Dahh-dahh-dah-da!) Imagine thaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! Imagine That!" LOL

October 18, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. carol

When I find myself forgetting
    What comes after 'A' but before 'C'
    My mommy always whispers
    Letter B .....

October 18, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  15. cheryl

The doctor in the "Maria goes to the hospital" episode with his back to the camera, then he turns around & it's Noah Wyle. "Sesame street has been brought to you today by the letters E and R." The Count & Susan Sarandon getting caught in a rainstorm and having to knock on a castle door to use the phone, and the Count has to count the knocks. Kofi Annan negotiating a peace agreement between a bunch of Muppets who ALL want to sing the alphabet. Will.I.Am singing "What I Am". And finally..."Oh what is the letter we love? The one that we're extra fond of? It's not any trouble you know it's a W when you hear wuh wuh wuh wuh!"

October 18, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  16. maeeyjaeey

i love sesaemstreet idnt really care much of how old i am i just love elmo and his songs and ii love cookie monster even though we learn the letter of the day on a cookie he still eats it but still it's a great loving sshow

October 18, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  17. MelMel

I was watching the other day with my grandson and they did the " African animal alphabet song" and they said T was for tiger...no wonder everybody thinks tigers live in Africa. Still love the show and glad my grandson seems to enjoy it too at only 8 months old :)

October 18, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  18. BG

I proudly downloaded "Put Down the Duckie." It stands as not only a great kid's song, but a great song period.

October 18, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  19. Farhibide

Did anyone see the Ace of Cakes episode when they delivered the Sesame Street cake? All the monsters' mouths were hanging open like they couldn't believe how awesome it was! It was hilarious!

October 18, 2010 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  20. gingrn1

Hey, do they still have oscar the grouch and his worm? I agree about Bert and Ernie ( don't ask, don't tell ) but that is one of the reasons sesame street is so great! They teach kids to be tolerant of everyone.

October 18, 2010 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  21. Matt

The Batty Bat is my hands down favorite. God, I hope this show is still around when I'm ready to have kids.

I still assert that my favorite movie all time is Follow That Bird. Cinematic brilliance with a wonderful message about loving people regardless of who or what they are.

October 18, 2010 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
  22. cg2

The Count ruled!!! Victor – The Vegetable Vampire is still one of my favorites. Not to mention the Count with a high-top fade rapping with Kid n Play!!

October 18, 2010 at 3:20 am | Report abuse |
  23. cynthia

Sounds like many (many, many) of us have happy memories of watching Sesame Street ... some when we were little ... some when our children were little ... my little girl quicklly easily learned her colors watching Sesame Street ... and much more.

October 18, 2010 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  24. Kelly Goszkowicz

Bring back the Yip Yip aliens! I loved those guys growing up!

October 18, 2010 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  25. Maggie

My very favorite Sesame Street video of all time was one that probably ran in the mid to late 80s, and it featured a Creole band. Boy, could those guys rock. I remember going nuts for the music when I was a little kid. I've searched all over for the video on YouTube, but I can't find it. Does anyone know what band played in the video? I know it's a long shot, but I just had to give it a try.

October 17, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Name*tinglesgirrl

There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza.

October 17, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Child, Please!

Oh, Snap! "Well, fix it, Dear Henry! Dear Henry! Dear Henry! Well, fix it, Dear Henry! Fix IT!"

"With whut, Dear Liza, Dear Liza, Dear Liza? With whut, Dear Liza, Dear Liza? With WHUT?!"

"A STICK, Dear Henry! Dear Henry! Dear Henry! A STICK, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, A STICK!" LOL!!! Too funny.

October 18, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sammy

LOVED that!!! Was actually looking to see if anyone else remembered that one....Sesame Street is the best!

October 18, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Bostonellen

I love Sesame Street!!

October 17, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Coaster

If I had to pick just one favorite, it would have to be Somebody Come and Play, because it could be so sad and meloncholy if no one did, or they could end it happy with a friend. It still reminds me of sad rainy days with no one to play with, but Seasame Street to watch!

October 17, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Z

Ma-nuh Ma-nuh!

October 17, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  30. coreybelle

Ok so what about the lady in the big rocking chair who ended each skit with saying "and that's the truth", then sticking her tongue out and well, spitting? What's her name!? And to this day, I still count to ten in spanish, using the ss song "uno, dos, tres, quaaaatro, ciiiinco, seis!"

October 17, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jayski

That was Lily Tomlin doing her Edith Ann character. She also used to do her on Laugh In.

October 17, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Martian

"Women can fly way up high in a rocket
    Women can hunt Alligators....

October 17, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Buef

Wanna buy an H?
    An H!?
    KEEP IT DOWN, Keep it down.

October 17, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  33. missi

I love the version of 1,2,3,4 Fiest sang on the show, my children and I watch it all the time. We also enjoy "Letter B", "" I'd like to live on the moon" and a old video with muppet babies singing about how they are babies, rock them! Jason Mraz "Go outdoors" is very catchy too!!

October 17, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Jaime

When Patrick Stewart (Capt. Jean-Luc Picard, ST:TNG) was on, he had to help rein in a naughty "Number 1". HA!

October 17, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Roman Manlord

Let's call it Shirley.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUHOPEcJU3s&w=640&h=390]

October 17, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  36. hollyinsd

Sing for yourself... A loaf of bread, a container of milk, a stick of butter...
    rtsp://v2.cache6.c.youtube.com/CjYLENy73wIaLQmPUfVAwQZuIhMYESARFEIJbXYtZ29vZ2xlSARSBXdhdGNoYNrXr8ek06DXTAw=/0/0/0/video.3gp

October 17, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  37. Maggietabby

The Yellow Yahoo
    "He's dreaming of You, the Yellow Yahoo, in a tree that's shaped like a Y."
    The Martians and the Clock "yepyepyepyepyep"

October 17, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  38. Amy

I love the Sesame Street clip: "Doing the Pigeon" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDJsgtoizj8)

October 17, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  39. Guest4276

Letter B, Letter B, Letter B....

October 17, 2010 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  40. Dedichka

"I'm an Aardvark", "Starfish", "The Batty Bat", Oh, and that song "Somebody come and play". :)

October 17, 2010 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  41. meredith

Beatle's Parodies: "Hey Food," and "Letter B." Adorable!

October 17, 2010 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  42. newfienisey

Nobody mentioned my fave 2 songs. The National Association of W Lovers and My Favorite Number Is 6.
    "Oh 2 is your eyes and 1 is your nose and 5 is your fingers or your toes. 4 is the legs on an easy chair but there's no number that can compare with...6. When someone says Bert pick a number I always pick the one nobody picks. My favorite number is 6!"

October 17, 2010 at 6:18 am | Report abuse |
  43. Steve

Ernie playing "Bert Is It" while Bert is reading a book. My brother and I still crack up over that one.

October 17, 2010 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
  44. eric

Grovers monster in the mirror song. With celebrities and then the Simpson's at the end. Classic!

October 17, 2010 at 4:47 am | Report abuse |
  45. Courtney

And I totally forgot Smokey Robinson with "U Really Got A Hold On Me" *sigh* to be a kid again.

October 17, 2010 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
  46. Courtney

To this day, the Cookie Monster "Healthy Food" rap can always brighten my day. It's so unapologetically 80s with a red tracksuit, Kangol and and huge gold chains. Plus, the background veggie singers sound great!

October 17, 2010 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  47. Not Sure

So I've seen so many people on here recall the pinball count song, but I could have swore that was on The Electric Company not SS.

October 17, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  48. ames

James Taylor blitzed out of his mind singing Jelly man Kelly with the tuba and the group of kids. LOVE IT! I sing that with my 2 year old daughter all the time. And the ladybug picnic. :) i love Sesame Street!

October 16, 2010 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Kelly G.

Doin The Pigion- Bert
    Rubber Duckie- Ernie

October 16, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Youniversal

Me Lost Me Cookie at the Disco! I had a 45 of that when I was a little girl, in the early 80s. I saw it on YouTube and its still great!

October 16, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Jenn

"What's the Name of That Song?"
    "Put Down the Duckie"

eleven, twelve.

October 16, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Lanny

Rebel L

October 16, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  55. JenniferL

Hey wasnt oscar orange the first season? and Big Bird a little slow? I like them best as the are now – and ANYTHING with supergrover in it

October 16, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Vikki

My fav. "would you like to buy an "O" " it'll only cost you a nickel!!! Right. with eanie

October 16, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  57. SunnyDays11

Love the "Milk, mi-ilk, milk" song with the trucker moving milk from farm to the store then brought to the crying baby. Always made me cry.

October 16, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  58. sally

Shiny Happy Monsters with REM. Elmo saying "-- is a sometimes food" I say that to my kids ALL the time!

October 16, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  59. laurennyc

Anyone ever see the one where andre boccelli sings elmo to sleep? I cry every time I see it!

October 16, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  60. mdma

I loved H. Ross Parrot who said that it is our right as Americans to say the alphabet any way we want to -

October 16, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  61. independ

C is for Cookie!

October 16, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  62. DN3

Glad there are so many adult sesame street lovers out there! My favourites will date me a bit – but I loved Kermit's 'It's not easy being green', anything Grover (near/far, his skit about crime which also was done on the Muppet Show, as a waiter), the two-headed monster (can't remember name), cookie monster, masterpiece theater, yup-yup aliens, skit about ?Bert and Ernie? trying to trim the curtains and they trim the whole thing off to get them even...so many! Glad this article made me walk down memory lane :) Oh, and totally love the new Grover 'on' skit! hysterical!!!

October 16, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  63. mrd9295

But the best Sesame Street parody ever: Polly Darton! Here she is singing Counting 1 to 5:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjKdZfEKOtQ&w=640&h=390]

October 16, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  64. mrd9295

Another Ernie favorite of mine is when he sings, "Wake up!" to Bert. And when Bert finally says, "Ok, ok, I'm up!" Ernie says, "Oh, I was just practicing. Good night, Bert." Heh, heh, heh!

October 16, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Seabird

"A, B, C, D, E, F, Cookie Monster!"

30 years later, that still makes me laugh... and it's just so sweet when the little girl says "I love you, Kermit!" at the end of that skit.

Good memories!

October 16, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  66. dustin kebre

My favorite is "here phishy, phishy! Bert and Ernie"!!

October 16, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Terri

Elephant Elevator Operator

October 16, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  68. lmnop

loved the London Frog!

October 16, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Prettyrenee

My favorite was when Ernie would call the fishes into the boat. Bert tried but he just couldn't get it right.

October 16, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  70. redtube

redtube checking in.

October 16, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  71. red fox

red fox checking in

October 16, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Red Leader

red leader checking in. sup /b/rothers!

October 16, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Anita

The Count singing lambaba is the best one ever!

October 16, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  74. T-2000

Good afternoon everybody. I think there were at least two variations on the kid going to the store for groceries. 1. A loaf of bread, a quart of milk and a stick of butter. 2. A loaf of bread, a container of milk and a stick of butter. Also one had a little black kid and the other one had a little white kid. There were no girls used at all.

October 16, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Sam

Miami Mice! I still think about the mice dressed as Crockett and Tubbs, cruising around in Tubbs' convertible cadillac.

October 16, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Monty

I just like watching elmos world

October 16, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  77. KimAnn

Loved "Its not easy being green"
    and Cookie Monster singing "Up and Down"
    I look up and see the sky
    I look down and see the the ground
    I look at you and sing a song about up and down

October 16, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  78. Bob Inalong

The Amazing Mumford! "Ah La Peanut Butter Sandwiches!"

October 16, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  79. Kelly

Look for the Ricky Gervais clip of him sing Elmo to sleep. This one had me laughing so hard I cried. :-)

October 16, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  80. Christy Ford

"Born to Add" – Bruce Stringbean and the S Street Band. That is all.

October 16, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  81. KaelaJael

Maya Angelou, Carlo, Lexine and Elmo singing "It's my name"

October 16, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  82. Marie

Teeny Little Super Guy, Aligator King, James Taylor singing Jelly Man Kelly and Up On the Roof!

October 16, 2010 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  83. MissJules

Come and play, everything's a-okay...
    I'm coming in late on this but what a shot of nostalgia reading this thread.
    Abierto, Cerrado
    Abierto, Cerrado, taught me my first Spanish words
    and Linda and Bob taught me my first sign language
    Grover and JonJon, so sweet
    Ernie and Bert trying to even out the servings of pizza & root beer, or the chocolate milk
    I'm almost 41 and still remember most of the original songs. Although I always wonder if my short attention span ...hey Big Bird!

October 16, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  84. Mynd

I always think of the song "it's not easy being green" sung by Kermit.

October 16, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  85. Donnie

I loved The Batty-bat! 123 Count! MUHAHAH!! Cue the lighting! ...And this is awesome. Want to get a bunch of people together and no fighting ... mention Sesame Street.

October 16, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  86. sooz

The pre-elmo stuff, like the O that goes over anr over and over the horse, or the typewriter guy, the operatic orange, the Count singing the Batty Bat Bat waltz. Does anyone remember when Snuffy was visible only to Big Bird?

October 16, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Coaster

I remember that. Only Big Bird ever saw him, and everyone kept telling him he was too old for imaginary friends and to let it go already, but it wasn't that he was imaginary, it was just that they kept missing him. But it got so bad that even Big Bird began to think he was imaginary. Poor Bird, as Snuffy would say.

October 17, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  87. tim

one of these things just doesn't belong here one of these things isn't kind of the same...

October 16, 2010 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  88. Reb

My all time favorite is the Springsteen parody Born to Add. Purely made of awesome.

October 16, 2010 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  89. Lester

This my favorite one!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbAcoIscd7U&w=640&h=390]

October 16, 2010 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  90. GreenTea

G Grover....G George

October 16, 2010 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  91. Emily

Also great: Teeny Little Super Guy, the Tweedlebugs, and that orange that sings Carmen.

October 16, 2010 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  92. Emily

Hands down catchiest song: Telephone Rock

October 16, 2010 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  93. Tealess

"My Name Is You"
    And the Wubba Wubba song

October 16, 2010 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  94. cutebrain

I make my kids watch it & I still sing along! La la la la la! My fav's:
    Bert's Blanket
    Furry Happy Monsters
    Kermit's Animal Alphabet
    Ernie's Imagine That
    A rock's not alive,no no no no no!

October 16, 2010 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  95. Kira

Near, Far
    Me & My Llama
    You Drive Me up the Wall
    Plants Need Water, Man
    M is for Martha

October 16, 2010 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  96. dihicks6

My fav, waay back, was Don Radio's bit with Kermit while trying to re-write Mary Had A Little Lamb. Or, Guy Smiley the game show host!

October 16, 2010 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  97. JM

I loved those little rows of dots that came on the screen to music (da da da da da da da da...) and sometimes one would be the wrong color or something, then they'd have to reverse to fix the problem. Very clever!

October 16, 2010 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  98. dragonsheorth

All of the are great but something about kermits first rendition of "It's not easy being green" always strikes a cord... I sure miss Jim Henson... Thanks Jim! (And Frank too!)

October 16, 2010 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
  99. Compton

tinyurl.com/399xoyr Damn best thing on tv

October 16, 2010 at 5:44 am | Report abuse |
  100. wobba

Its actually a loaf of bread, a carton of milk, and a stick of butter.. Lol

October 16, 2010 at 5:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Kira

Wow, I would have bet my life it was a "container" of milk. ah, middle age...

October 16, 2010 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  101. disciple X

Cookie is not veggie monster. Other characters try to make him eat veggies. "Veggies are an all the time food. Cooks are a soometimes food." Too which cookie responds by looking at a clock and saying "its sometime" then devouring the cookies. Kudos to sesame street for making critics happy by getting that message out without ending Cookie Mobster!

October 16, 2010 at 4:57 am | Report abuse |
  102. T-2000

Mr. Snuffleaphogus was my boy!

October 16, 2010 at 4:54 am | Report abuse |
  103. mangotea

we all live in a capital I

October 16, 2010 at 4:27 am | Report abuse |
  104. hardshellsoftcore

I don't remember exactly when i started wacthing Sesame Street but all the epsiodes are my fav...i still sing c is for cookie even when i'm not eating cookies (lol)...i really love the new episodes too...i watch even though my kids aren't a big fan of "the street" like i am...maybe i'll convert soon :)

October 16, 2010 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
  105. K.

You Mean "I Got a New Way to Walk" sung by Destiny's Child. I watched the first episode when it first aired and I still watch! Nobody beats Sesame Street. Buying myself the Oscar sneakers. My child wears the Elmo NB sneakers. We checked out the Smithsonian visit. We are true fans. Folks, order the DVD that features the classic episodes. Invite your friends over and throw a 30 and over viewing party. Trust me on this one!

October 16, 2010 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
  106. Amy

There are soooo many I like.

There's a Bird on Me
    Two Little Girls and a Little Doll House
    The Yip Yip Martians
    Ladybug's Picnic
    The Tweedlebugs
    The Pinball Count
    The Typewriter that goes nu-nu-nu-nu
    I Don't Want to Live on the Moon
    Me and my Llama
    It Ain't Bad to Get Mad
    Sugar Beets

And my favorite of all... Caribbean Amphibian!

October 16, 2010 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
    • CJEH

I LOOOOVVEDDD the typewriter. nunununu is my "just puttering around' noise :) Oh, and Robin Williams testing if the shoe is alive.

October 16, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  107. cynthia

I really like that this little brown puppet girl love love loves her hair ... she's happy with what she's got and doesn't need to go to the beauty shop and get her hair relaxed ... you go, girl ...love whatcha got!

October 16, 2010 at 2:21 am | Report abuse |
  108. Kr

The blond girl puppet "I'm waving goodbye to yooo-ooo with my....ear......."

October 16, 2010 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
  109. Bob Inalong

Cowboy X!, Ladybug's Picnic, The Story of Quiet and Loud, Rumplestilskin (his name is "Bruce....Bruce Rumplestilskin")anything with Guy Smiley. Back in the 70's we used to cut high school, do bongs and watch Sesame Street.

October 16, 2010 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
  110. T-2000

And by the way it was "a loaf of bread, a quart of milk and a stick of butter. Youtube it.

October 16, 2010 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Kira

I just YouTubed it – it is "container." Thank goodness my memory isn't completely failing!

October 16, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Duck fan

Elmo's ducks song and "1234" with Feist.

October 16, 2010 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  112. lalita

I still remember 'Gimme 5' It was a Temptation style song about the number 5, with Gordon in the group. Give me 1 2 3 4 baby I love you more. Give me 5. All of the adult humor I missed as a kid is hilarious! My 2yr and I watch it daily!

October 16, 2010 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  113. T-2000

This was not on Sesame Street but I loved when Elton John sang "Goodbye Yellowbrick Road" on The Muppet Show. I watch that clip at least twice a month on youtube.

October 16, 2010 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  114. Mandy B.

Oh, it was Smokey Robinson– "You Really Got A Hold On Me". (Thanks, Wikipedia!)

October 16, 2010 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  115. Mandy B.

Everyone listed my faves– Ladybug Picnic, I Don't Want to Live on the Moon, Alligator King, etc.– but no one said the letter M song, "Me and My Moose". "Me and My Moose we go MMM, MMM, MMM when we see the mess the monkey made on the moose with marmalade..."

Also good were the episodes where Ernie tied a string around his finger to remember something.

Another one that cracked me up was about the letter U. It was a pop song sung by its artist about being stuck on you or something, and the whole time he sang the letter U kept wrapping himself around the singer's leg. Forgot what that was but it was hilarious.

October 16, 2010 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  116. Ect

I only watched that show for Cookie Monster, the Count and Bert and Ernie!

October 16, 2010 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  117. Patty

I have "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street" on DVD. I love it and try to watch it on Christmas Eve since PBS doesn't air it anymore.

And whenever it rains I always hear in my head, "It's a rainy day, it's a rainy day. It's raining outside and I can't go out and play. Why do we need the rain anyway?"

October 15, 2010 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laureth

I have "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street" too. I love that DVD!! My faves are REM singing with the Muppets, The Count counting sheep and the sheep getting tired of it and quitting so he has to call an all night counting place. He has the guy dress up like a sheep and leap over the bed while he counts him. Cookie Monster's Best Bites was a favorite tape of my kids growing up. I thought True Mud was hilarious. Sesame Street NEVER gets old.

October 18, 2010 at 6:58 am | Report abuse |
  118. suzie

Loaf of bread, stick o' butter, container of milk.

October 15, 2010 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  119. jay jay

Every episode that sesame street brings out is great I grew up in the caribbean and use to rush home from school just to be in time for it to start,I have no children but I'm still watching it good memories lol

October 15, 2010 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  120. J

Faves:
    The shady dude who was always trying to sell letters out of his over coat ("Riiiiiiight...")
    Captain Vegetable
    the 'Some and None' song
    Bert's extrovert brother, 'Bart' who looked just like Bert but wore his hair parted down the middle
    ...and does any one remember Don Music, the piano player who would always flip out and start banging his head on the keys? I found his behavior quite disturbing as a child, before I knew what a tortured artist was.

October 15, 2010 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob Inalong

I forgot about Don Music! He was a riot.

October 16, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Kermit the frog and sesame street news!!!!! Mary had a bicycle!!!

October 17, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Sarge

Oh yeah, Don Music. "I'LL NEVER GET IT!! NEVER!!!" Bong bong bong, I laughed myself silly when I was a kid watching him.

October 18, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Sydar

Alligator KIng and his seven sons <3 All time best!!

October 15, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Mike

The broadcast clip of Carrie Underworm (voice and Muppet appearance of Carrie Underwood) singing the worm anthem with NASCAR driver Jeff Gordon looking on, and the non-broadcast clip of Elmo and comedian Ricky Gervais, amazingly funny

October 15, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Nostalgic

My husband sings that one! Do doo dododedo!

October 15, 2010 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  124. ah

The muppets singing "on the subway" and "menah-menah"

October 15, 2010 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Nostalgic

Yip yip yip uh huh uh huh...Phone...People give me strange looks if I break out into a ballad of Rubber Duckey!

October 15, 2010 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  126. jeremy austin

I love the yip yips martians every video of theres is funny

October 15, 2010 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Nostalgic

Did they really change the Cookie Monster to the Veggie Monster? I loved Near and Far by Grover!! My husband will do that just to hear me laugh!

October 15, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Adam Lambertisaphony

Katy Perry's cans and her duet with Miss Piggy singing, "I Kissed a Girl"

October 15, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • AdamLambert rocks

Yeah, and I'm sure Katy Perry would be soooo attracted to a jack*ss who calls women's breasts "cans." Elmo rocks!

October 16, 2010 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Adam Lambertisaphony

I'm not worried about her being attracted to me, I just love looking at her cans from afar. Don't you remember the episode where Elmo copped a feel? Doooshtard.

October 17, 2010 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  129. Laura N.

I can't choose just one. Everything that everyone has mentioned are all precious jewels of a time gone by. It is so wonderful how we as adults still cherish such invaluable education. Sesame Street is along the same lines as the original School House Rock. You just can't put a price on GOOD tv programming. Thank you! ...and by the way the "grocery list" is: a loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter. :)

October 15, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  130. totherightyall

Doin the pigeon. The chef that falls down the stairs. Everybody eats. The people in my neighborhood. I MISS MR LOOPER (HOOPER).

October 15, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Julie

Still cries watching the episode where they had to tell Big Bird that "Mr. Looper" died.

October 15, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Say it isn't so. . .

"Socialist" Seseme Street part of Obama plot to communize Americas children. Why else is Elmo red?

October 15, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Ry Jay

I remember when Margaret Hamiltion aka The Wicked Witch Of The West came to visit Sesame Street back in the 70s. They aired it twice and then banished it forever. Would LOVE to see it again now. Anyone else remember that episode?

October 15, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • soggynode

Don't think I've seen it but it could be a repressed memory – for years I was scared to death of her, bicycles with baskets, tornados and flying monkeys.

October 15, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  134. soggynode

Los Lobos – Elmo and the lavender moon. Not sure how they talked Los Lobos into it but I'm glad they did.

October 15, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  135. MommyLINY

"Desperate Houseplants" & "Golden triangle of destiny" are amongst my faves.

October 15, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  136. Jason B.

People here have mentioned some great bits. I've got 3 all time favorites:

1) Grover – "near and far"
    2) Grover and JohnJohn (i know, it's multiple clips with them)
    3) My absolute all time favorite – when the Sesame Street adults have to explain Mr. Hooper's passing to Big Bird. It's got to be the most honest, open, and saddest thing to air on tv. I get misty just thinking about it. If you can watch that and not feel yourself tearing apart at least a little...there's something seriously wrong with you.

October 15, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • mimi

I do "near and far" in my best grover voice to my 2 year old – she loves it and I still do too all these years later :)

October 16, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • sbest

#3 Defiinitely one of the most meaningful and emotional moments in all of children's television. I have the Sesame Street Unpaved book and I mist up everytime I read that page.

October 17, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Stephanie

The "J" song rocks!

October 15, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  138. nancy

I love the Beatles singing "Letter B"!

October 15, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Toar Winter

Search Kermit Mystery Box. Hilarious.

October 15, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  140. knowbout

Awesome! Love the hare video. Very cute!!!

October 15, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  141. mari

Pattie Labelle singing ABC's...Love it!!! Watch it twice a week

October 15, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  142. wifey

oh and I loved "Dance Myself to Sleep" with the boogy woogy sheep! LOL

October 15, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  143. wifey

I love this! Good times! I had Sesame Street's Greatest Hits on my little portable turntable. "Rubber Duckie" was my favorite song! And my favorite recent song was "Don't Know Why Y Didn't Come" with Norah Jones. Sesame Street rocks!

October 15, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  144. BR in PA

Happy Tappin' with Elmo is the best

October 15, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Jemi

Me lost me cookie at the disco, and me want it back! (Cookie Monster circa 1979)

October 15, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  146. MamaDoeDoe

MAD song
    Lady Bug Picnic
    Herry & John-John count
    Talking Loud/Talking Soft("don't tell me I can't teach" LOL)
    Bread,Milk,Butter
    Lena Horne & Grover sing "How do you do?"
    Invisible Ice Cream
    Fat Cat
    Pinball Counting
    Bob McGrath sings "who are the people in your neighborhood?"
    Telly Plugs In (when Telly was first introduced as Telly Monster)
    Cookie Monster sings "Me Lost Me Cookie at the Disco"(I sing it every now n then to my daughter)

Those are just the ones from the first 11 seasons. I have 40 seasons of Sesame Street on DVD. It was my favorite show growing up and still is. I found the set of DVDs @ Walmart.

October 15, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Webslappy

If anybody knows where I can find Prince singing Raspberry Sorbet, please let me know.. Thanks.

October 15, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dawn Ada, Ohio

Oh I think it was grover and otherswho sang: sing, sing a song, sing out loud, sing out strong!~~~ I was 2 when Sesame Street started and I watched probably till I was ten. I had my 1st child at 20 and watched till he was about 8 and now I'm starting again with a 5 year old. Sad thing is my 5 yo is much more into cartoons than Sesame Street.

October 17, 2010 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Kyle

OMG and u all have to watch Lethal Weapon 3 on Monsterpiece Theater...

October 15, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Kyle

Hahaha i just found the skit where Ernie makes a sculpute of Bert, then when Bert asks about the nose on the sculpture, Ernie pulls Bert's nose off and sticks it on the sculpture. Hilarious.

October 15, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Denise

I really liked the ones with the count, too. He'd take the greatest pleasure in counting, and then start cracking up like it was the funniest thing in the world. Then I'd start laughing with him.

October 15, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Kyle

Speaking of Grover and Fat Blue, they did a spoof called Extreme Home Makeover. In the end Fat Blue starts crying after Grover removed his front door. Grover responds with "Are we getting the crying? This has value!"

October 15, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Lenny Leonardson

Rebel "L" video, parody of Billy Idol. Best ever.

October 15, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erin

That, and they also had "Cereal Girl," based on Madonna's "Material Girl." Loved that one!

October 15, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  152. Kyle

Gotta love both the Law and Order and CSI spoofs! Another great clip was always Grover harrasing that poor fat blue guy at the restaurant!

October 15, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  153. KatieB

Grover & Madeline Kahn singing "Sing What I Sing." Classic.

October 15, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  154. Sharon O

Sesame Street does a lot of parodies! I love to watch with my daughter just to see what they do. My personal favorite is Meal or No Meal - the Muppet looked just like Howie Mandel and Cookie Monster was the 'baker'. I also like Monsterpiece Theater and Grouch Eye for the Nice Guy. Good stuff!

October 15, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Spike

"C" is for "Cookie" - that's good enough for me!

October 15, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  156. Jaxma

Oh, and....
    The King of Eight
    "Manumana" song – no words

October 15, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  157. jordan

MANAHMANAHHHH!!!!

October 15, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  158. Jaxma

Pinball Counting Song
    Ladybug Picnic
    I Love Trash
    Nasty Dan (sung by Johnny Cash, with Oscar)
    I Don't Want to Live on the Moon

October 15, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Child, Please!

Aaah! The Pinball Counting song! "One, two, three, FOUR, FIVE, six, seven, eight, NINE, TEN, eleven, TWELVE!" Dooo-doooo-doo-dooo-dooo!!!!! LOL Sigh. Good times....

October 18, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  159. JB

And do the 'Duck, Rubber Duck, Rubber Duck, Rubber Duck, Duck , Rubber Duck Duck.....

October 15, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denise

I remember that one. I remember jamming to that when I was a kid. Bert and Ernie were my favorite.

October 15, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  160. jay

African Alphabet Song
    Put Down The Duckie
    Monster in the Mirror
    Bohemian Rhapsody

October 15, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  161. KellyinCA

Two words: Roosevelt Franklin.

October 15, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  162. andrena

I still like chris brown's song with elmo about signs and destiny's child's song about walking across the street.

October 15, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • April

"I got a new way to walk...WALK WALK..."

That song is on the 'Sesame Street Sings Karaoke' DVD.

October 17, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  163. DJCIJC

Exit! It's the way out! Music video.

October 15, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  164. Yipyipyipyipyipyipyip

The Martians with the Phone. Baaarrrrring!

October 15, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  165. John

boogie woogie piggies or Aaron Neville and Ernie sing "I dont want to live on the moon"

October 15, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  166. 2damnfunny

A loaf of bread, a quater of milk and a stick of butter.

Love that!!!!

October 15, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • JLC

You remembered! You remembered!

October 15, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

I actually think it's a "container" of milk.

October 15, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • ThatBelle

That's one of my faves, too...but I remember it as a carton of milk, a loaf of bread, and stick of butter....
      *sigh* Great memories! :)

October 15, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ry Jay

I always thought it was "a quart of milk"

October 15, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • mimi

I thought is was container as well....

October 16, 2010 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
    • jackie,op

I thought it was " a container of milk" too...

October 18, 2010 at 4:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Soljagurl

OH MAN!!! I remember that kiid walking down the street trying to remember what his mom said. I was just thinking me and my Llama this w/e too. And do you remember the working dog. Imma dog, imma working dog, imma hard working dog...MEMORIES!!!

October 18, 2010 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
    • KA

I thought it was a "bottle of milk". hahahahaha! I love that episode too! Nice to know other people have a good random memory like I do.

October 18, 2010 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
    • JimmyNNJ

It's "A loaf 'a bread, a quart a' milk, and a stick a' butter." I always think of that when I'm headed to the grocery store. And I am 39 yrs old. I didn't know where I learned it. Thanks so much!

October 18, 2010 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Linda

Anyone remember, "I'm Roosevelt Franklin (Yes he is!)"! ?

October 18, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • cheryl

It's a "quart" of milk. But close enough! :)

October 18, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • portalpunk

its a fifth of jack, a ounce of poth and a half-tina of meth.

October 18, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  167. fajita

since finding the "smell like a monster" video, i watch it ten times every day.

October 15, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  168. donkeypunch

freaking love Sesame Street even to this day and i don't have kids.

October 15, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  169. Puppetdiver

That chick in the pink dress is hot!!!!

October 15, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  170. portalpunk

"Sesame Street" is brought to you today by the letters M and B.

October 15, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Say it isn't so. . .

Isn't PBS a "socialist" channel? Paid for by the government for the people?Damn you Obama for educating our kids! I knew Elmo was a Marxist! All red and everything. The jig is up Ernie and Bert! We won't ask and please don't tell, we really don't want to know. Lol. Jk.

October 15, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • KLM

Obama's "Al Gore Moment"; so Obama invented PBS, funny seems to me it has been around since before he was even born, or at least since he was in diapers. Also; just what has Obabma accomplished with regards to education, please enlighten me. So far all I have seen is Obama and Michelle doing photo ops.

October 18, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • KLM

And for what reason of ignorance, do you even equate Obama with Sesame Street...

October 18, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

i saw a few comments here also mentioning that "loaf of bwead, a quart a milk...and a stick a-butta!" bit... i remember a few friends of mine say that as a joke here and there some 25 years ago, and i still say that to my wife now when she tells me to bring some things from the store on the way home... and i'm also in my 40's. amazing what an influence that has on us all so many years later. i still remember that clip, the kid and his mother, the afros back then... so funny to remember that...
      there were several other clips from that period, but that's what i fondly remember and still think about.....

October 18, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  171. khalid_mallard@yahoo.com

lol......

October 18, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  172. portalpunk

Kim Kardashian, is that you?

Hilarious burn.