HBO considering Tea Leoni style comedy
October 15th, 2010

HBO considering Tea Leoni style comedy

It looks like Tea Leoni is getting ready to follow in Carrie Bradshaw's well-heeled footsteps: The actress is in talks to star in a new fashion-based series for HBO.

Deadline.com reports that the cable network has designs on "Spring/Fall," a glitzy "Sex and the City"-esque comedy that follows the adventures of style-savvy Manhattanites.

Leoni - whose last TV gig was the '90s sitcom "The Naked Truth" - is producing the project and would play one half of a fashion partnership between two women with completely different approaches to career, family, and friendship.

Adding to the show's glam factor is filmmaker R.J. Cutler (director of last year's Vogue magazine documentary "The September Issue"), who has also signed on as a producer.

« Previous entry
  1. KeysLvr

Another HBO comedy about NYC and fashion? SATC was good and ran its course . Now they have How to Make it in America. So HBO is going back to the same well? Come on! There's got to be other programs/program ideas being pitched to HBO!

October 18, 2010 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  2. cynthia

I agree with an earlier poster that it's not so great of publicity for anything/anyone to be called "The Next ... " ... but that being said, I liked SATC and I would watch this show at least one or two times, see if I like it ... I'll give anything a chance because you never know until you see it, huh?

October 18, 2010 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  3. pierce

Not another Carrie B.
    No one can be that equinesque (original Carrie) and be seriously taken for a good looker

October 17, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. debbie

These people need to take an English class to learn how to spell (or learn to click the spell check button...DUH!!!) and write a complete sentence. Maybe once they completed that they will no longer have the urge to make fun or bully others. What do you look like? Never mind keep hiding behind your giant screen.

October 17, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Daniel Troppy

Sounds like this could be very STYLISH...

October 17, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Head Diva In Charge

I will watch this. I miss having a fun "girl" show to watch. I think Tea is perfect for it.

October 17, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. itshottoday

I think she looks best with dark hair, like she did in Bad Boys.

October 17, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. leslie

Why is everyone commeting on her looks & SJP. Everybody is different & as long as their spouses love them that is all that matters. Time is to short to worry whether you are pretty or not. So what if she is older & did not make good movies; are you paying her bills? can you act? Judge lest you be judged. People are out of work at least she has a job!!!

October 17, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. elizabeth

How on earth could anyone think tea is fat? That is outrageous. She is a beautiful fit woman!

October 17, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. mitymo

Wow. aside from the fact that ALL these shows are devoid of any substance, no one actually caught the moral lesson of the Devil Wears Prada. is your soul worth a pair of Jimmy Choos?

October 17, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. LollyLolly

How 'bout we get TL and SJP together in a project called "Ugly Women Who Set Real Women Back 70 Years." I'd watch that.

October 17, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. lou

Not a fan of Tea Leoni's AT ALL. She's so bland....bad actress.

October 17, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  13. John

Excellent. Another show about 40-something women who sleep around while enjoying the travails of menopause. I can't wait to DVR this 'v@gina-monologued' theme show.

October 17, 2010 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  14. brad1001

Same ol' hash rehashed. Hollywood needs some fresh writers.

October 17, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jeff

Ahh, the female version of Two and a Half Men.

October 17, 2010 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  16. roland

That's hot...

October 16, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  17. reggiereg

Yay. Now I can have some more time away from my nagging girlfriend!

October 16, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  18. charmer

She was hot....back in the 90s. She's just average now.

October 16, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Puhleeze

Tea Leoni may be in lots of movies, but it doesn`t make her an actress.

October 16, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Kate

Nose is fine but Her jaw is a little masculine and I have never considered her particularly attractive.. she would seem a little miscast as a fashionista too. Hmmmm. Not sure I would watch this.

October 16, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  21. debbie

Wow, these commemts about Tea's looks are outrageous. If you don't like her why are you reading and commenting about her? She's just another human being who happens to be in the public eye because of what she does for a living.

October 16, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • duh

It's about the programming. HBO doesn't need another show starring a middle aged woman messing around with younger men. People need new themes and better content. As a viewer, I expect more.

October 16, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  22. bj

George Clooney as the writer,for One Fifth Avenue–who should be the shallow bimbo? The fantastic Meryl Streep could play the ambitious board member of the coop.It is a delicious comedy!

October 16, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  23. bj

When is Bushnell producing One Fifth Ave as a movie? I can see Jennifer Garner as the hedge funders wife, Julia Roberts as the actress,

October 16, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  24. spanish fly

I don't think SJP was a winner-we just got used to the horse face and grew to love the show. It can happen again

October 16, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Lisa

Too old. Too fat. Too masculine. Very drag queen. Good luck.

October 16, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • dogfish

Seriously? I'm sure you are all just perfect to be passing such harsh judgements on this woman. No wonder it's hard enough for average women to be accepted when people are so tough on models and actresses. Just because people choose poor movie roles doesn't mean that they are undeserving of future opportunities.

October 16, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wow

and I'm sure you're just a regular ole beauty queen! Wow how can you be so horribly mean?!?

October 17, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  26. robblucien

Loved SATC, love fashion, love Manhattan, give us more. And Tea is a great actress!

October 16, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  27. Phillyboi

Test

October 16, 2010 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  28. Michelle

I can't afford HBO.

October 16, 2010 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
  29. J

I do her but her voice would ruin the orgasm....

October 16, 2010 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
  30. Jack

Hey HBO, Please drop this from consideration. And if you wanna do a chick show just name it for what it is (i.e."Men are Stupid").

October 16, 2010 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
  31. Bruno

I like tea leoni and her nose. awesome funny actress she shouldve played the wife in that yellow vw comedy with greg kinear little miss daisy? Lol

October 16, 2010 at 2:55 am | Report abuse |
  32. Anita

Oh! And I forgot 'Spanglish' – She's been in all kinds of movies!

October 16, 2010 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  33. Anita

Have you never seen 'Family Man' or 'Fun With Dick & Jane'? I don't think most of you know who Tea is. Look her up on imdb.com

October 16, 2010 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
    • duh

Both were horrible. Nick Cage is a bald no talent, and Jim Carey stinks. Done deal.

October 16, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  34. MoBought

When you reduce your commentary to personal attacks you speak volumes about yourself, not your subject. I loved SATC, if you ignore the second movie; here's hoping HBO can match that magic. Maybe it's a mistake to compare the two, let Tea's project stand on it's own two feet.

October 16, 2010 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  35. Jenny LP

SJP is lovely! And no little has-been can follow in the footsteps of Carrie Bradshaw!

October 16, 2010 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  36. Dillard

I hope it will be worth watching. I suppose it's kind of tough having a show on HBO about life, love, and fashion in Manhattan without being compared to SATC. I hope it's good...guess we'll see.

October 16, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  37. cuz

If the writing is good, who the hell knows?

October 16, 2010 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  38. KS

We don't even need the OLD Carrie Bradshaw, much less a new one. Plus, Tea's cute, but she's no spring chicken. Pretty soon she'll be as haggard as SJP.

October 16, 2010 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  39. Miss Swan

She looka like a man!

October 15, 2010 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  40. 5t1v roma

isnt this David Duchovney's wife? has he ever been in anything good? Has she? No, not really. X Files was pretty terrible.

October 15, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Christal

I absolutely loved every episode of satc and lipstick jungle... Candace bushnell is a genious!! And if this is anthing like either I am hooked already. However I think they should allow Sarah Jessica Parker be the other half to this show...

October 15, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  42. mejazzbo

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I've always thought Tea Leoni to be a very attractive women. Certainly prettier than the hatch face of Sarah Jessica Parker. I seem to remember Ms. Parker playing a witch in an old comedy. She certainly looked the part.

October 15, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  43. diba

tea leoni is too masculine for romantic comedy more like ru pauls drag race dont do it hbo

October 15, 2010 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Ttown Talker

I agree with Lucy. Tea is just okay. And David is not Fox Mulder! David has some major baggage-don't envy her that hot mess. HBO needs to start Rome again starting with the fall of Rome & how the Vatican came to power. Pope Leo & his young boyfriends would be a fun topic to stir the pot. SATC redux no thanks!

October 15, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Lucy

Tea is so yesterday. She is a mediocre actress and she does have a twisted nose. HBO, please bring on the quality programs you're known for and not yet another flat comedy.

October 15, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Michelle

Tea always brings class to every project she's in – she's funny, tall, and gorgeous, plus she married Fox Muldar – bring it!

October 15, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  47. jeff

Tea is hot !!!

October 15, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Masta G

Wow- Terry Bradshaw has a great wig!!!

October 15, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  49. PO

It's never a good start when you are referred to as the "new *insert name*" – you have to be known all on your own. That having been said, SATC was often referred to as the "New Golden Girls" – yet SATC proved to stand on their own two feet. SATC and GG (both great shows) gave me enough episodes on women with "differing views" that I don't need to see more (I can always pop the dvd in!). I want something new!

October 15, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adam Lambertisaphony

GG is a "great" show? Grandma, are the people at the nursing home letting you get on the internets again?

October 15, 2010 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • whyohwhy

I can't believe someone finds Adam Lambert relevant enough to make their screen name a comment about him. Maybe I'll try "Who's the Boss is Unrealistic" as mine in future.

October 17, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • KeysLvr

@PO I couldn't agree with you more. It seems like HBO keeps going back to the same well for new programs. This will be the third program about NYC and fashion. The first one being SATC and the second one is the new How to Make it in America. There must be other programs being pitched to HBO that they are declining.

October 18, 2010 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  50. Peggy

HBO will have to come with somone stronger to get me to add HBO back to my cable. I have never been a fan. I thought she was horriable in Bad Boys with Will Smith and everything else that she did in the 90's. I wonder who will play the other woman in the fashion partnership.

October 15, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • HockeyMom97

R/T Peggy–She can't possibly be as "horriable" as your spelling. Give it a chance.

October 16, 2010 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Lee-Ann

What is wrong with her nose?...nothing, that is......why are you attacking her personnaly? really, grow up

October 15, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  52. froggy

It'll be fine. Leoni is a fine actress although I do have hard time seeing her as a shallow fashionista with 1/2 a brain and a -B cup like the original Bradshaw. Goog luck to her. Will watch indeed,coz I love fashion and work in Manhattan.

October 15, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Olac Fuentes Z

Her latest gig was actually on a little show called "E.R."

October 15, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  54. patti

Might be interesting to me as I am very much into fashion.

October 15, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  55. portalpunk

It must be hot because I'm firsty... No wait I'm a d0uchebag!

October 15, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  56. barbara

why are you so judgemental? there is nothing wrong with her nose. the problem is you are used to seeing celebs with fake noses and she dont have that plastic look so you think she is weird. she is a beautiful, kind , NORMAL looking woman. when you judge her, lets see what your nose looks like! put yourself under the microscope mr perfect.

October 16, 2010 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  57. Jacinto

Have ya seen Sarah Jessica Parker? Ok. And you're going to complain about Tea Leoni??? Are you blind?!

October 16, 2010 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  58. Mary

WOW - how sad for you - she is a beautiful woman. Not that such is relevant - your comment is inappropriate either way.

October 17, 2010 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  59. Bull

Dude , she's a beauty . Better get your eyes checked.

October 17, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |