Hitchcock, 'Modern Family' style
October 14th, 2010

Hitchcock, 'Modern Family' style

On Wednesday night's "Modern Family," Claire couldn't bear to tell Phil that he's not funny before he prepared to give a big speech (her secret: she doesn't laugh with her eyes... the demonstration was priceless).

Meanwhile, Mitchell couldn't bear to tell the very-sensitive Cam that he looked bad in bike shorts ("Maybe there is a person who looks good in bike shorts but my boyfriend is not that person").

The solution? Taking inspiration from Alfred Hitchcock's classic "Strangers on a Train" and taking care of the other person's "murder."

Claire delivering the bad news to a (sometimes-pixelated) Cam was a riot, especially when he told her he could hear some crying down the hallway... which strangely sounded not so much like a baby, but like Cam.

Mitchell, being the ultimately nice guy he is, couldn't do his part and tell Phil he wasn't funny though, and ended up infuriating Claire: "You said he was this generation's Richard Pryor!" It all unraveled when Cam overheard Mitchell talking about it... and then Phil turned out to actually be funny during his speech. Phil took a page from another cinematic classic when he said, "I know it was you, Claire. You stole my index cards."

Things didn't go much better for Alex trying to be popular under Haley's tutelage. She accidentally let it slip that she actually enjoys homework - a cardinal sin for the popular - and lost a friend.

Jay showed up at a quinceañera for one of his co-workers and employed Manny to help him fool Gloria into thinking that he knew any of the people there. (Line of the night: "Who are you?" "Que?" "I think you're really gonna hit it off with Kay!")

Then things took a very weird turn when the guest of honor appeared to be kissing her father - it turns out they were at the wrong party.

"Modern Family" continues to be on a roll. The sibling relationship isn't explored as often as others on this show, and in this case we got to see it twice. Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Julie Bowen really work well together when they get the chance.

What did you think? Is this show still going strong? Will you be trying troga? (It's de rigueur.) Share your thoughts on iReport video or in the comments below. Meanwhile, check out iReporter Kathi Cordsen's take.

1. Anna

My favorite show. I am assured both a laugh and a good family moment each Wednesday.

October 20, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. GREG in AZ

This is easily becoming my new favorite comedy show..the writing is great and the timing of the entire cast is remarkable I think Phil is my favorite character though he is HILARIOUS!

October 18, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rick

No one has mentioned the bathroom scene with Mitchell and Cam. It's actually very touching, showing how a couple can overcome those uncomfortable moments when you have to tell someone you love something they don't want to hear. And just when you think the scene is going to end on a sappy note, Cam asks Mitchell to "do his shoulders" as he turns around to receive a shoulder rub to ease his tension over the whole incident. Meanwhile, Mitchell, who had been shaving, grabs the shaving cream and turns toward Cam as if he understood Cam's request as wanting Mitchell to shave his shoulders. Of course Cam turns around and sees the shaving cream, and they're right back where they started. Priceless writing and acting. This show is prepared and performed by very talented people all around.

October 15, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Caroline

The entire show was hysterical. I really loved the pixelated shots of Cam...too funny! The whole cast is great, but my favorites are Mitchell and Cam. The interaction between them is just priceless.

October 15, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  5. s

I love this show. I especially love wednesday nights, the line up is hilarious, the middle, then that other show which i really don't care for, then modern family and cougar town. Wednesday night is my favorite night.

October 15, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  6. Michelle

I love this show, its easily one that I look forward to the most each week.

October 15, 2010 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  7. john

This is a 2-story house... I'll tell you a story... and then I'll tell you another...

October 14, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Donna

October 14, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Donna

Absoutely love this show!!! Hard to pick just one or two characters that I like...they are all wonderful...bit I think Mitchell and Cam are my favorites!

October 14, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Alexa

I love this show, especially Sofia Velgara-with her latina accent...cute cute
    I also enjoy watching Cam and Mitchell, but my favorite of all is PHIL.....

October 14, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Sean

This show just gets better and better. Last night's was no exception...HILARIOUS!

October 14, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. kim

This is the best show EVER! Half an hour is not long enough!

October 14, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Nicole

This show is my new obsession!!

October 14, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Feeniegal

So funny..I love this show!!

October 14, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |