Happy days are here again on 'Glee'
October 13th, 2010

Happy days are here again on 'Glee'

Shout hallelujah, come on and get happy, because “Glee” is back to awesome!

I’ve made no secret of the fact that I wasn’t super thrilled by the last two “Glee” episodes, but on Tuesday night I was reminded why I love this show so much. “Duets” allowed the gang to team up in some memorable ways courtesy of a contest sponsored by Mr. Schuester.

Let’s get the hot stuff out of the way first: Who knew that Brittany and Santana were so, um, “close”? I’m used to seeing them hold hands, but I was totally unprepared for the “sweet lady kisses.”

The Brittany and Artie hook up was another shocker, and no one was more surprised than Artie. He noted that the cheerleader had never even made eye contact with him, to which Brittany responded (in typical fashion),“I know. For awhile I thought you were a robot.” HILARITY!

Loved, loved, loved Mercedes and Santana’s version of “River Deep, Mountain High” and Mike and Tina’s super cute version of "Sing!" from "A Chorus Line." It’s about time we get to see and hear more from our Asian power couple, and I thought their fight was a great way to give us a better glimpse into their relationship. It was a nice change of pace from the constant focus on Finn and Rachel, though I have to say that Finn was really doing something for me this episode. He’s just so freaking adorable.

Although I found myself agreeing with Mercedes’ “This isn’t happening” comment during the pair's rendition of "With You I'm Born Again" (let’s hear it for old skool jams!) while dressed as a nun and a priest, it still managed to be oddly endearing. Finn does bring something good out of Rachel and I’m so glad she was less annoying this week.

Bar none the adorable award of the week goes to Sam and Quinn and their duet of “Lucky.” The whole thing was just so precious, and Sam is really starting to grow on me in that hunky-blonde-great-body-sexy-lips sort of way.

Poor Kurt had to go it alone in an admirable version of "Le Jazz Hot" from "Victor/Victoria,” but they saved the best for last with him and Rachel singing "Happy Days Are Here Again” and “Get Happy." Rachel + Kurt + Barbra Streisand + Judy Garland = Fabulosity.

Breadsticks all around!

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • television • TV recaps

1. bug spray

First off I want to say superb blog! I had a quick question in which I'd like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear your thoughts before writing. I have had a difficult time clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out there. I do take pleasure in writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are lost simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any ideas or hints? Thanks!

April 11, 2012 at 3:07 am | Report abuse |
  2. hotel accomodanion online

You really make it appear so easy along with your presentation but I in finding this matter to be actually something that I believe I would by no means understand. It kind of feels too complicated and very broad for me. I am taking a look ahead to your subsequent publish, I will try to get the hang of it!

April 7, 2012 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  3. Free Poker Money Bonus Online

Howdy it is the 2nd time that I saw this web space and I apreciated it indeed! Good Work!
    See ya

May 26, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. missmaru

I love the song that rachel and kurt sing! "forget your troubles, happy days, c'mon get happy, are her again" that's my new anthem! 🙂

May 1, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  5. Poker Without Deposit

Howdy once again, that I discovered your blog I think became blog budies lol!
    Anyway nice page!my name is José I´m newbie at this web surfing things!
    Enjoyed a lot reading this!

March 11, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bofflibinee

Howdy , beautiful blogue you have here!

January 6, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. meaxyastemo

Hi Hi I put this thread here to give you a way to make capital on the internet free!
    Get paid to click!!
    Just register the links down and start winnig cash today on http://www.paidtoclick.com/?r=ReidoPoker !
    see ya

October 25, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. William

I loved the show because it always shows a VARIETY of musical styles and talents...some standards...some rock...some soul...some rap...and it lets each cast member show their diversity...that's what this show is about anyways...diversity...in song..in people...and in reacting with one another...."Bust ya Window" was great...but then so was Happy Days/ Get happy...immensly talented cast...ooo to be in High School again!!

October 19, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Feenigal

I thought this was a good episode. Really enjoyed the show tunes returning..actually saw Victor/Victoria a few months ago on tv. And like many have agreeed on.. Mercedes/Santana, Rachel/Kurt duets were AMAZING. I love the Brittany character, but its just a matter of time before I'll be able to guess what she may say. I want Kurt to be single a bit longer, he may lose his b**chiness.

October 18, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Olivia

Love it, as I do every week. I've never heard any of the songs on this episode, but that didn't matter i was smiling and enjoying the show just like all the other ones when i do know the songs. I loved Tina and Mikes number, it was awesome that they got their own little story line and twe goto see them more as characters and a couple. Santana and Mercedes number was so great. Once again im glad someone other than just Rachel and Finn go storylines. Loved the little Brittany/Santanna part, although by the end of the episode i was getting annoyed with Sans lines that had to do with her "gots to" or "is be goins" type dialouge. she had like 1 line that i didnt get annyed with and that was when she was talking to Mercedes. Anyway, LOVED this episode like all the otheres, but i can say this has been my fav of the seaon so far which isn't really sayin much cuz there has only been 4. Cant wait till the rest of the seasonairs.

October 15, 2010 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  11. natnat

all of you people complaining that you didn't know the songs and liked it less....they were DOING YOU A FAVOR! i'm sick of all you teenyboppers whose only idea of good music is Lady Gaga and the like. the glee cast is in their element performing show tunes as the seasoned professionals they are and it's realistic to real show choirs as well. if all you're going to do is moan about classics being mixed in with recent hits then just turn on your top 40 station and leave the rest of us who can appreciate a little musical QUALITY and DIVERSITY to it (note: this is in no way directed to those who didn't recognize the songs but were open minded about it)

October 14, 2010 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. amstaffbru

terriffic

October 14, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. SB

This episode was amazing and the end duet with Kurt and Rachel showed off the power and talent in their voices. No other song this season compares to the quality of that duet 🙂 I'd love to hear them sing together more in the future.

October 13, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Be Quiet

Loved it, loved it, loved it. I'm so happy that it's back on track after stumbling since the premier. Heather Morris is FANTASTIC and it was great to see her character fleshed out a bit more. Santana/Mercedes duet was so great, and Chord Overstreet is a great addition.

October 13, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sasha

For once I feel like the show is back on track. Its more about what is going on as glee as a group and learning. At least this felt more like the real glee instead of just trying to push music sales on itunes. It is sadly losing some of the quirkiness that made it fun and interesting and has been recently replacing it with a lot of whatever will fit best (seriously telephone and billionaire?) I stll hope Sam becomes a bf for Kurt. He needs a pretty boy who can sing.

October 13, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Kovalchuk

Too much focus on Kurt. This show is trying to force too many things instead of just the ease with which everything was created in the first season. I'm not sure how much longer I will be watching.

October 13, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Sean

I agree with many of comments on this page: Last night's episode was the best so far this season it's one of my new favorites! To Mercedes and Santana...AMAZING!! Definitley the "undisputed top b*****s" of the episode lol! Some of you may complain that the songs were unfamiliar, but it's good to do a little old school music every now and then. And even though I didn't know all the songs, I do love how they went back to their "showtune" roots. The tribute at the end to Barbara and Judy was INCREDIBLE! Rachel and Kurt compliment eachothers voices very nicely. Keep it up GLEE!!

October 13, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  18. KT

I agree with JT. This show is very uneven. Though this is a show about high school kids bursting into song every five minutes, a lot of those musical opportunities are contrived, such as "everyone has Britney Spears dreams at the dentist". I preferred songs that matched the characters' current situations. Then again... I really love Rocky Horror, and "everyone puts on Rocky Horror Picture show" is also contrived. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

October 13, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Al

This episode was definitely a step up from the rest of the season, Although I'm beginning to get the feeling that Ryan Murphy is just making up the script as he goes along. I agree that it might have been 1 too many show tunes, though I loved almost every song that was performed (something that hasn't occurred for me since Pre-Sectionals episodes).
    And for the record – Sue was not on this episode because SNL "borrowed" her for a week so she could host (which was a waste since that was a pretty lame episode).

October 13, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barry

Do you really think that these shows are filmed that close to their air date?

October 13, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  20. You're A reporter

Ummmm the song was Le Jazz Hot. If you are going to write for a public news medium, you should invest in an editor.

October 13, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  21. JT

The show is still a little uneven for me. Loved the introspective quality to last week's episode, although it seems I am in the minority there. I cared for the episode less. Too many musical numbers and it just takes away from the spontenaity of the whole thing – nothing has ever touched Mercedes' "Busted all the windows in your car" from Season 1. Kurt's "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" was subdued and touching – I bawled. Not everything has to be "snappy-peppy." Brittany is one of the funniest characters I can remember from any show ever right along with the brilliant Jane Lynch as Sue – who really needs to be present in every episode. I was disappointed last night in that I really wanted Sam to be gay and date Kurt. I find his storyline with Quinn to be a little blase.

October 13, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  22. JustToClarify

I just wanted to point out that you mis-spelled Barbra Streisand's name. It doesn't have the extra "A". It's the name with 2 words-Bar-bra. Just sayin"...

October 13, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  23. DougB

This was the best episode this year. Even though I didn't know all the songs, they were all sung well. The best one they saved for last, Happy Days are Here Again/Get Happy smash up. There was even something that resembled a storyline–oh what joy! I hope this means that they are getting back on track. I am really looking forward to the Halloween episode when they do the Rocky Horror Picture Show-the previews looked awesome.

October 13, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Glee Ratings

I'm glad this show isn't #1 anymore.... people are realizing how bad it is.

October 13, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Holly Golightly

I liked last nites episode. It feels like they're back to what we Gleeks love. I liked the songs, although I agree I wish they would do some a little more familiar to most. When are they going to focus on Shue more? He's my fave character!!!

October 13, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Glee!

I was sooooo happy with last nights episode too! Let's get back to challenging every member of the cast with songs. Kurt's song showed a range of talents, utilizing him much better than last weeks simple "I wanna hold your hand." And the plot between Quinn and Sam reminds me why Quinn is still on the show, she's been pretty M.I.A. I thought they might explore post pregnancy issues but they haven't even touched on it until last night.

October 13, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  27. claire bear

i didnt know any of the songs this time so i didnt like it as much as i usually do who picked those songs anyway

October 13, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Oh please

They were singing show tunes, which is what real show choirs in real high schools usually sing. Not Autotuned-to-death versions of bad pop songs from the 1980s. Personally I appreciated the breath of realism.

October 13, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Starbuckcubed

I didn't know all the songs either, which made it even more enjoyable. Loved the all the duets except the Victor/Victoria. It just wasn't my style. But my favorite was the final duet with Rachel and Kurt. I love when they have show tunes and/or classics mixed in with the newer music.

October 13, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • deliaua02

It's called expanding the viewers' music-vocabulary. If they stuck to all "current" music they would be missing out on soooo many great song opportunities. There are only so many popular songs on the radio that they can use each year. And I think it's awesome that younger people (even myself included, at 26) can hear songs that they've never heard before and maybe find new songs, artist, genres from the past that really speak to them.

October 13, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • macphe

Oh come on! The songs were all classic. Anyone with an ounce of interest or education would have recognized "C'mon get happy" even if you didn't know that it was a duet between Babs and Judy Garland on the Ed Sullivan Show.
      If you want to see the original go to You Tube. I knew the piece but Rachel's shirt gave the whole thing away. There are so many pics of Streisand from that show wearing that top. Brilliant casting of Kurt as Judy Garland!

October 14, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Mimi

Barbra Streisand and Judy Garland sang Happy Days are Here Again on Judy Garland's show....not Ed Sullivan. Sorry.

October 15, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Allie

I agree, this is the first episode of Glee since the season premiere that's been worth watching. Especially loved how they turned Brittany into a PERSON instead of a caricature for once. If Glee can continue in this direction I'll keep watching.

October 13, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |