Andy Richter 'thrilled' he's headed to 'Conan'
October 13th, 2010

Andy Richter 'thrilled' he's headed to 'Conan'

Conan O'Brien's new talk show is pulling out an old favorite: TBS has confirmed that Andy Richter will return as O'Brien's sidekick when the "Conan" show premieres November 8.

"This decision was made without my authority. I will get to the bottom of this," O'Brien joked in a statement released by TBS (which is owned by the same parent company that owns CNN). O'Brien has worked with Richter on and off since NBC's "Late Night With Conan O'Brien" premiered in 1993.

Richter has been rumored to be joining the show for quite some time, thanks to his appearances on O'Brien's "Legally Prohibited From Being Funny on Television" comedy tour and a recent Facebook Q&A with O'Brien himself.

For his part, Richter confesses that he is excited to be teaming up with O'Brien on television again.

"I'm thrilled to be going back to work with Conan, and very excited to start a whole new venture on TBS," he said. "However, I am mostly looking forward to getting out of the house again."

1. B=Dog

WOW!!! What a new and innovative idea!!!! We're gonna hire back my old sidekick! WOW.

This is why TV blows moose chunks....no original ideas.

October 14, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jaynova

Think Richter will leave the show if someone offers him a sitcom of his own again?

October 14, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  3. wcat

Whoa. . .when did pat sajak go off the air. . .?

October 14, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  4. Libby D

I wasnt ever a big watcher of Conan's shows but once he became active online this summer his humor seems sharper, more self depricating – just overall more interesting. I, for one, am looking forward to his new show (maybe it's the beard :-)

Happy to see others recognize Craig Ferguson too. Watched him since he started with his show over 5 years ago and he is far and away the best of any of the late night guys at this point.

October 14, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  5. Max

I think Conan is marginally tolerable at best. He's a much better writer than performer. I absolutely despise Andy Richter. I can't watch mroe than 30 seconds of Andy Richter. I didn't care if Conan came back to TV or not. Now I know I won't be watching.

October 14, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  6. Cuckoo for Coco Puffs

His interviews aren't funny, but his skits are the best! Jaywalking? Reading newspaper clippings? How the eff is that funny?

October 14, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  7. Tryclyde

If you don't like Conan, fine. But the few people (with a questionable sense of humor) need to stop saying he's not funny. He's the funniest host since Carson.

October 14, 2010 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
    • B=Dog

Big deal! That's like being the smartest kid with down syndrome. Late night TV blows!

Let's be honest here... at his 1am time slot he was losing in the ratings to Craig Ferguson and infomercials.

October 14, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jay

I like Conan, Jay, Ferguson and Dave. Can't say the same for Kimmel and Fallon. Just my opinion.

October 14, 2010 at 4:21 am | Report abuse |
  9. Amy

I don't watch Conan or Jay. I stopped watching Jay Leno when he made fun of a newlywed couple getting in a car accident on their way to their honeymoon and the female had a severe brain trama and the husband had to to date his wife all over again because she could not remember her husband. When Comedians make fun of people who have had
    tragedy in their lives.. I don't find it funny..

October 14, 2010 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
  10. Chris

Is Conan the only person who thinks Andy Richter is funny? Bad move.

October 14, 2010 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  11. John Moore

Conan is funnier than Dave or Jay. Andy ads to the show. Comedy is like peoples look's , it's in the ear (eye) of the beholder.

October 13, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Monique

Conan "zapped" Andy too many times he had no choice but come back "home". See how he did it: http://bit.ly/cIUpvt

October 13, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Johnny

Blog. Posting. Losers. Ever think about CREATING something instead of CRITIQUING? What a dull life you all must lead.

October 13, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. marty

Conan and Andy are good entertainers and they work well together which is key. I love them both (in a professional way). I cant wait till the TBS fires up. TBS is good choice – freaking control by NBC is gone.
    Jay Leno is good too but I totally do not like Dave Letterman – his comedy just misses something. Jon Stewart or Steve Colbert – there routines are very unimaginative. I guess its matter of taste. Jimmy Fallon doesnt do enough jokes – I dont know why. There is more audience screaming , him "pumping" which I hate, him promoting his guests too much, or "give it up for the ROOTS" – for Gods sakes, TELL SOME JOKES JIMMY.

October 13, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Robert Zamora

Blech, he was one of the reasons, among many, I stopped watching Conan in the first place.

October 13, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Coolz

Conan,Jay Leno,Letterman,Kimmel,Ferguson etc all are funny in their different ways!It's a question of your taste you like Coco...good for you,you like Leno...good for you as well!You love Larry "The cable guy"good and everybody move over! I guess lets just respect each others' preferences for comics,politics,partners,school,religion,cars...adinfinitum.Your taste for Conan's comedy routine does not make him superior to Leno,or Letterman!

October 13, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susan - Canada

Right on....couldn't have said it better myself. You are absolutely correct on this one....it's all our own preferences and who makes us laugh. It may not be the same guy as you, but it doesn't make one funnier than the other.

October 13, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  17. E=mc2

Not quite Carson + Mcmahon, but might as well give it a shot.

October 13, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Doc Canary

Will be great to see the two together again. My hope is they have developed beyond the frat boy humor, buy I will not hold my breath in anticipation.

October 13, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Justin

Jay Leno's average viewer is 115 years old, and Letterman's is probably around 40 to 50. My prediction – 11:00 and 12:00 become the standard late night schedule for the younger crowd. Conan at 11 on TBS, and Kimmel @ 12pm. Leno and Letterman's ratings will slowly decline over the next few years (as viewers get older and go into nursing homes), while Conan and Kimmel's ratings will keep climbing. Conan and Kimmel's humor is so much more relevant these days to younger people than Leno or Letterman. Not that I don't still love me a good awkward Letterman interview here and there.

October 13, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Paul

Love conan and Andy is always better with a good strong shot of Conan

October 13, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  21. citizenUSA

Sure he's happy... it's a job!

October 13, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  22. monica

do they have a contract or sumthing that Andy HAS to be in eveything CoCo does? bad move to add Andy in the pic again....

October 13, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  23. chilli66

Leno is occasionally amusing, Letterman is just dull. Craig Ferguson is the only one who comes close to Conan's quality. Can't wait for the 8th to get here!

October 13, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Roxburyjay

I feel terrible that I never watched Conan all the years he was on because I thought he looked like an awkward, albino, Irish-Guido. My wife forced me to watch his last couple of weeks and I loved it. As far as late night goes Letterman and Leno are both for an older crowd. At 28 I feel like Conan is most appealing to my generation. Team COCO all the way. Can't wait till the 8th.

October 13, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  25. suzi stars n peace

i love jay leno! Conan is funny too–hes more physical out there on stage. Not really a fan of david letterman. They all act like they r gay not that theres anything wrong with that. Absolutely love jon stewart and steve colbert. Carson n craig arent my faves. I like the guy whos on after leno tho i cant think of his name right now. I applaud all of them tho bcuz i love to laugh and i kno they r all trying :)

October 13, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ken

"They all act like they r gay not that theres anything wrong with that." If there's nothing wrong with that, why bring it up as a disparaging remark? The guy who's on after Leno is Jimmy Fallon, who is funny as long as he's not reading a monologue. Carson is still the king.

October 13, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Dutcher

I love to laugh!

October 13, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  27. jason

Ashame he'll be competing with John Stewart for viewers.

October 13, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Mike

At least there will be one funny person on the show now!! Andy should have his own show! Conan is a talent less hack. The Conan Show was destined for failure maybe Andy can pull it from the flames.

October 13, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  29. khocolatemoose

Is Conan funny? Sure. Is Andy funny? Absolutely not. I'm of the opinion that Andy's why Conan's run at the Tonight Show tanked so hard, because Andy stinks. Look, I know he's Conan's pal and all, but he can have a job off camera too. That being said, I understand if you find them both amusing.

Feel free to add the conversation about films at http://khocolatemoose.wordpress.com/

We'd love to hear what you think, and often.

Best,

KM

October 13, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob J

I kinda agree with you. I am a huge Conan fan. But I missed the first few years of Late Night, when Andy was on. I didn't start watching Conan until around the late 90s, after Andy had already left the show. I was a fan of the chemistry between Conan and Max (and the band – and Joel Goddard.)

So it was a major shock to my system, when I watched Conan's Tonight Show, with prominently featured Andy (and far less interaction with Max and the band.) I just didn't like it as much. Right from the opening credits with Andy's forced facial expressions.... just left me cold.

It saddens me that Max is not going to be on the new show, but I'm still looking forward to it nonetheless.

October 14, 2010 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  30. fp

This is gonna funny. both of those guys r funny. its like the wonder twins.....shape of water....

October 13, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  31. dbox

this song will air on the show later tonight ! enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH4zZctQPb8

October 13, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  32. keri

Can anyone who replies to this article spell? I dont trust the opinions of people who can't spell!

October 13, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Weldon

Leno and NBC take a back seat to the new king of late night. Mr. O' Brien, you have the floor!

October 13, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Diana

Conan is the best!

October 13, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  35. rhoneyrhone

Craig ferguson is better than all of them! Conan is great but needs andy kinda like spaid neede farley.

October 13, 2010 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  36. salliman

They are absalutly HILARIOUS, Conan is a genious. Glad he's back.

October 13, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  37. chef mehl

Conan is good..TBS worries me though..Must need the money or trying to prove a point...

October 13, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  38. andy

conan is the man, i can't wait..

October 13, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  39. angie o.

conan rocks! glad he's back! can i get tickets?

October 13, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  40. Trevor B.

Conan is one of the funniest late night hosts out there. bottom line.

October 13, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  41. ernie

Conan O'brian is an outstanding comedian

October 13, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  42. ernie

I GUESS BOTH ARE FUNNY BUT NO ONE CAN TOP BENNY HILL

October 13, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  43. witt

conan n andy r radio gold like the odd couples felix n oliver. channel 11 ? wpix right ?

October 13, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  44. barry r.

In my lifetime (30 years) conan is the best I have seen.

October 13, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  45. scott

Are u kidding me? Conan is one of the funniest most insightful comedians ever. Get a clue man.

October 13, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  46. ryan

and i guess you think jay leno is funny? what are you, 5? conan is the best host ever. except for carson.

October 13, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
    • sam

Actually, if you think Jay Leno is funny, you're more like 70. 5 year olds actually have a pretty refined sense of humor.

October 13, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Catherine

To Sam: Not speaking for the 70-year-olds you are talking about, but I am 63 and I refuse to watch Leno, who is painfully not funny.

October 13, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christopher Stahler

Carson in the early days was fricken hilarious. I never was old enough to see those early shows live, but there is a channel that shows all the retro Carson episodes, and dude cracks me up everytime. True talent

October 13, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Will

wow, I'm dumb, I honestly first thought you meant "Carson Daly", I need to go to bed.

October 13, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  47. nd

Neither is andy richter

October 13, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  48. JC

That's called a bad career move. Why does he keep punishing himself. Conan is not funny....

October 13, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Andy

If Conan isn't funny, why do people laugh? I despise Opera, but for me to say it isn't music would make me an idiot like you.

October 13, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheDude

Conan is the funniest man alive my friend!

That is all...

October 13, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

I'm guessing you laugh uncontrollably at Jay Leno. Jump in front of a truck.

October 14, 2010 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Derp

Go back to watching Leno then. Nobody's forcing you watch something for young people.

October 14, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |