Family matters on 'Hawaii Five-O'
October 12th, 2010

Family matters on 'Hawaii Five-O'

I learned a lot by watching last night's "Hawaii Five-O." For instance, I learned that when normal traffic cameras won't work, you can call an aircraft carrier in the Persian Gulf, flirt with someone on the other line and have her track the villain of your choice via satellite. I need to learn this trick the next time I'm in a traffic jam.

I also learned that if you need to extract information from a hostile witness, you must beat said witness in a game of hoops, which is what McGarrett had to do to find an escaped prisoner. A second inmate, played by D.L. Hughley, offered to give McGarrett clues as to why the escapee left the slammer, but only if he beat him in basketball. Somehow, McGarrett found his inner Brent Barry and won the game.

In between all the hoops action, gun play and various feats of derring-do, viewers were introduced to McGarrett's estranged sister, who welcomed herself to Hawaii by disabling an airplane smoke detector. Sis spent most of the show in "unofficial" police custody – both at the airport and at Five-O headquarters - but she did get the chance to bark at her brother and make fun of Danno's choice in neckwear. At least the siblings shared a poignant moment in front of their father's grave at the end of the show.

Speaking of Danno, a doctor diagnosed him with an ACL injury caused by what happened during the first episode of the show. Funny, he seemed fine the last two shows. Danno also noted that McGarrett had an "aneurysm face." I'm hoping there's not a future episode where Danno has to go undercover at a medical school or hospital.

Next week, Masi Oka makes his first appearance on "Five-O" as a medical examiner who, according to the actor, happens to be a piano prodigy. Will we see Oka "tickling the ivories" next week?

And will we see actors from the classic "Hawaii Five-O" on the new version?  Executive producer Peter Lenkov told Entertainment Weekly last week that the show would like James MacArthur, who played Danno from 1968-1979, to make at least a cameo on a future episode. Lenkov is also targeting Al Harrington, who played Det. Ben Kokua from 1969-1975, for a guest shot.

What did you think of last night's "Hawaii Five-O" episode?  And would you be open to MacArthur and/or Harrington showing up on the new series?

1. Pamela

I was soooooooo hoping to see "Jamie" on the new version of 5-0...... what a bummer that he passed before it was filmed. I had a huge crush on him when I was a kid..... SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON, SPENCER'S MOUNTAIN, THE TRUTH ABOUT SPRING, etc. Aloha, Danno!

October 29, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. gcmiller4

James McArthur died Oct 28, 2010. Isn't it strange that his death was only reported on one web site. Was he black listed?

October 28, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. comeseehawaii

The poignant moment in front of their father's grave at the end of the show was filmed at The Punchbowl Cemetery in Honolulu. One of the most powerful places on the island of Oahu. The iconic statue from the Five-O theme towers over this solemn spot.

October 18, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. charlene

yes i watched hawaii five 5-0 in 68 but peolpe this one not the same they are trying they did try to call the other actors to join but they are busy and they will try i have read bt there actors are in there late 70 all ready and you guys now 42 to years ago was a long time ago there was hd back then so you now that this one will not be the same i find this a good show i cant wait to monday to watch it i hope this goes on foe a long time and the actors are great

October 15, 2010 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
  5. Lee

This is my favorite new show and maybe my favorite show period. I look forward to Monday's now. I too watched the original religiously and enjoyed it but it was all serious all the time. I really like the humor in the new show. The new series is as interesting as the original plus VERY entertaining. The cast is fun to watch as well and I think it was genius to morph Kono from a huge man to an very attractive woman and I'm very happy that the chose Grace Park, who was terrific in Battlestar Galactica and deserved a shot at a larger audience.

October 14, 2010 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  6. Mango1

Are we all watching the same show?? For weeks I watched hoping I would love this show.... So far there's NO credibility with those actors even though in looks those two Korean Asian actors could pass for being local.... WIth the budget that CBS alloted for this remake, and all $$$ to promote this show, couldn't the producers at least give them a vocal coach who could teach them to pronounce words and places correctly?
    Given that the iconic original show broke the mold.... YES we will always compare this new show to it- Its part of our mutual TV watching heritage of the past.
    It was completely cheesy startng with McGarrett's hair all the way to the tropical drinks, exotic women and stereotypical thugs in Aloha shirts, the chases, scenery, and oh those guest actors (especially all those -what ever happened to?? actors –who popped up through the years) -–We the audience ATE it up and demanded more!

This new show is like eating at a bad buffet.... uninspired main courses with cheap ingredients, bland tasting and too much of it.

October 14, 2010 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Jay

I've not watched the show, but my mom says the same thing. She tried to like it but says that other than the guys being good looking, there's not much she likes about it.

October 14, 2010 at 4:17 am | Report abuse |
  7. Dennis

I too watch the first Hawaii Five-O from the 60s and 70s. Al Harrinton's Det. Kokua could come in as a retired Five-O member since the current show has not cast this role. James MacAuthur would be great to see. Here are my two story lines, #1, In the Hawaii Five-0 with Gary Busey Danny Williams was the Governor. He could return and be introduce as the former Governor but just not named. #2, James MacArthur's Danny Williams, a retired police detictive could be senior to Scott Caan's Danny Williams junior. Fun could start with both MacArthur and Caan visiting in Five-O headquarters and MaGarrett walking in and saying "What's up Danno" and both MacArthur and Caan responding.

October 13, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Noelani

Seatbelts. Why aren't they wearing their seatbelts?

October 13, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  9. Tere Lea

Peter and Jim, ditto. I cut my teeth on Hawaii Five-O; greatly appreciated seeing the car; think Jack Lord would be ecstatic and would love to see MacArthur maybe as Lt. Governor from time to time......that Danny was a policy-sci major if I remember my H50 history correctly. Kudos writers and producers! Keep up the good work. Actors – you are creating a new Monday Night Monster! Great delivery!

October 13, 2010 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jessie

I didn't see the show, but I LOVED the contest results at the end!!

October 12, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Brad

Peter hit right out of the park. I could not have said it better. Trivia time, that is the same Mercury from the original show. Also they found almost all of the orginal musicians to re-record the music again. I think it would be fantastic for MacArthur and Harrington to show up once in a while. I loved the update of everything to be related to today and everyones issues to reflect our current society. I hope this show goes on for a very long time.

October 12, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • quiet

I will definitaly second that . I stay up late just to watch :). Hope it goes a long time.

October 13, 2010 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  12. Kit

It might take someone with an ACL injury to notice this, but Danno/Scott (actually Scott, since he really has a torn ACL) has been wearing a functional knee brace under his pants on his right leg. He has been limping slightly, and at times - especially when he was lounging recently on a boat with his right leg up - the brace was visible. Don't know about the other stuff you cited, but a person with a deficient ACL can get along with a brace for a while, unless the injury gets aggravated.

October 12, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Peter Anthony Holder

The new show is great. As someone who grew up watching every single episode of the original 13 year run, I feel satisfied that this new version is doing the legacy justice. Having some of the older actors in cameo roles would, in my mind be a giant passing of the torch, or blessing from the old guard to the new. The producers of the show have already done a fair number of great shout-outs to us in the "old gang." The best one was in the premiere when McGarrett goes into his father's garage and pulls the tarp off of that old Mercury. I literally got goosebumps, quietly said "thank you" and was then prepared to follow this version wherever it went. That little tip of the hat earned my trust.

Peter Anthony Holder

October 12, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Yes! I'm glad I'm not the only one who spotted what was under the car cover. The only way that could have been better was if it had been a '68, like the one used for the entire run of the original series.
      I was hoping we'd see McGarrett dust off the old ride in the series, but that seems unlikely in view of all the Chevies onscreen since the second episode.

October 12, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |