Chelsea Handler lands E! comedy series
October 12th, 2010

Chelsea Handler lands E! comedy series

E! is hoping you can handle more Chelsea Handler. The network has given the late-night talk show host her very own comedy series.

Variety reports that Handler will star in "After Lately," a 30-minute program that will focus on the backstage goings-on at her popular talk show, "Chelsea Lately."

Storylines will be outlined rather than completely scripted, giving Handler and crew – including Guy Branum, Sarah Colonna, Heather McDonald, Chris Franjola and Brad Wollack – plenty of room to riff a la Larry David and gang on HBO's "Curb Your Enthusiasm."

"The show is a behind-the-scenes look at what happens at our office when the cameras are off… A perfect platform for people who have no business being on camera," comedienne Handler, who is currently filming "This Means War" with Reese Witherspoon, told Variety.

Production on "After Lately" – which will run for eight episodes - is expected to begin in a few weeks, though no premiere date has been set as of yet.

1. lisamilly

Guess which show I won't be watching!Give me Carol and Lucy reruns anytime!

October 12, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jane

This is awesome, she is hilarious. I totally agree that you have to be able to laugh at the simplicity of things to understand her humor. Her books are my absolute favorite memoirs of all time.

October 12, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. AJ

She is funny and hot period

October 12, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tess

Chelsea is the best, I love her show, would have loved to see her Bang Bang tour and will gladly take a double helping on E. Her troupe of comedians are a hoot, something for everybody and Chuy too, in spades. But that pic used for this article makes her look an awful lot like her brother bighead Roy. :p

October 12, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jo

I've never had to say "Who is this?" until now. No clue.

October 12, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. katiepea

nice chelsea, rip off tina fey's entire series concept, this won't last 5 episodes, she isn't mainstream enough, her comedy is extremely girly and bland.

October 12, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. JJsMOM

I'm a 59 yrs old grandma and LOVE CHELSEA, I watch her every night, even her re-runs....she's the BEST!

October 12, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Susan

Boo, hiss, sad, lame.

I could never figure out her appeal and good fortune since she's about as funny as a bucket of mud until one day I read where she was sleeping/schtuping/living with a big tv exec and it became very clear to me.

I keep waiting for her to fade out but I suppose if you keep telling sheeple that someone is popular, said sheeple will jump on the bandwagon and ride it all the way to Neilsenville.

October 12, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dbaker

How did she get the job hosting the MTV VMA? Oh right, she was dating the President of MTV at that time. I just do not get how she is funny.

October 12, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jesse

yawwn.. she's not funny. yaaawn

October 12, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Allen N Wollscheidt

Comedy is an overstocked commodity right now, what with the Tea-libans ! !

October 12, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. John in Sacramento

What about Chewie??

October 12, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Cindy

To all those who don't get Chelsea Handlers Sense Of Humor, I say get off this page and go find
    your brain. This woman is honest down to earth and very funny she would go down a storm in England.
    she is delightful, fiendish, and just refreshing, I hope they give her total control.
    GO Chelsea !!!!!!!

October 12, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Samantha

I do like Chelsea, but sometimes I find her annoying. But people everywhere have their own preference to what or who they think is funny...and as a side note, I've noticed that she is aging HORRIBLY!!! She looks like she's 50 yrs. old!!!
      50 Cent for 50 Dolla-Make-Me-Holla!!! hahaha

October 12, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheppard

Well heaven forbid you might get more than one opinion here... You need to get over yourself.

October 12, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • JJsMOM

Cindy, I agree totally with YOU....Chelsea and her entire crew are hillarious.....IF somebody doesn't "get her" then they are watching the right show, she's tells it like it is, and I LOVE her show....she's given alot of people opportunities to make it big, she supports all of her crew....and she and her crew all perform to sellout audiences.

October 12, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay

Cindy who flew the coop and made you blog moderator. All knowing and right. Puhleese. People who don't like the crap she calls comedy have just as much right to comment as you do.

October 14, 2010 at 4:08 am | Report abuse |
  14. PJ

I used to watch the show on a regular basis, I thought she was a classy funny lady and enjoyed the round table banter. Now it appears she has found her niche playing in the gutter – not my style. So I won't be watching. The good news is we have the choice to watch want we want to.

October 12, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bill, Bloominton IL

Whiteram: Your thinking of the democrats and the comics she has are funnier than she is.

October 12, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • b/n? No, thanks.

Brady, is that you? Naughty! (Probably since you don't have a grasp of basic grammar.) God, I hate Bloomington.

October 12, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Nick

This woman is probably one of the LEAST funny people I know. She is AWFUL! Sorry E!, I won't be watching.

October 12, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • B-Dog

Most women don't have the funny gene.

October 12, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marnie

Yeah, Lucille Ball and Carole Burnett were/are so unfunny, right?

October 12, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Duhhh

Most – Adjective – A majority of something.

MOST women aren't funny. Carol Burnett and Lucy Ball are VERY funny, so they wouldn't fall into the "MOST" category.

Retard.

October 12, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Mesohawny

I'd hit it.

October 12, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Marnie

I agree she is funny, but I don't get the whole Chuy thing.

October 12, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  19. J-dawg

Is she still banging 50 cent?

October 12, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  20. calshawn

she's getting all these gigs only because she's a self-proclaimed jew. No talent, no looks, just a foul mouth. rick sanchez was right on ! look what he got.. the boot.

October 12, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  21. VERNIS

How about this , if you don't like here don't watch it . So easy

October 12, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Ronald Raygun

she gave it up to 50 cent, and he got her another show....

October 12, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • B-dog

Larry David is VERY funny.... Chelsea Handler is not.

October 12, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • priceless

She should get another show. She is every white womans dream. To be sleeping with a gansta niya. How many of these trashy white women does E want? Kim and now this old joke.

October 12, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  23. VERNIS

Whom ever she is doing , or if she is screwing around with is her busy. Who cares. Get a life people ,stop worrying about what someone else is doing, stop the HATE.

October 12, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  24. beenz

at least it's not another Kardashian spin-off

October 12, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  25. keith

What a ding dong – I don't see what anyone finds funny about this idiot. She and Conan are NOT funny

October 12, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  26. DGirl101

Where is Chewie going to be in all this? Or will Tom Cruise be playing his part?

October 12, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Andy

BORING. I'm not interested in more Chelsea. I'm interested in better Chelsea. I thought she was very funny at first, but every night her show seems exactly the same.

Thanks but no thanks, E!

October 12, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  28. HiDsrtGrrl

Gross.

October 12, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  29. William Bergmann

Chelsea Handler is not creative enough for a show like what's described, neither is her staff. Comparing her to Larry David in unfair. David is one of the classic TV funny guys and still has it. Handler had better keep her talk show as backup.

October 12, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Brian

She's really funny, but her old material from the Chelsea Handler Show was funnier.

October 12, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  31. john

So they're doing a half hour show of what's going on behind the scenes of another half hour show nobody watches?

Who can I contact at E! to pitch a show?

October 12, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  32. loveblondie

I'd certainly do her... many times.... many ways...

October 12, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Matthew

riff a la Larry David?!? He is infinitely more funny than Chelsea. Though she is *almost* as good looking as he is. What an insult to even compare them.

October 12, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  34. mrrusss

I know a girl who just absolutely loves Chelsea Handler, but then again she only gets by in life with her p***y as well.

October 12, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheppard

totally classless – and talk about unfunny........... grow up

October 12, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay

I agree with you sheppard. This woman has no class. She is rude and obnoxious and her comedy is tasteless. I watched her show for about 5 minutes one time and turned it. Some of the stuff said on there was unbelievable and not funny in any way. Just don't get it. She will never be as talented as Lucille Ball, Carol Burnette or Betty White. True comedians can make people laugh with just a silent gesture, no references to filth needed. I saw Lucille Ball in a silent skit as a typewriter operator once and it was hilarious. You just can't beat real talent.

October 14, 2010 at 4:01 am | Report abuse |
  35. mrrusss

There are two things that prevent me from thinking that this woman is even remotely funny. My balls.

October 12, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  36. come on, really?

Everyone knows how she got this show....come on, she's not even close to the best comedic talent in LA.

On January 25, 2010 Handler confirmed via her late night talk-show that she had broken up with long-time boyfriend Ted Harbert who, as the CEO of Comcast Entertainment Group, oversees E! Entertainment Television. Handler began dating Harbert in 2006.

October 12, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • FYI

Regardless of whether or not you think she is funny, it's important to know she landed the show BEFORE they started dating. Harbert asked her out at the wrap party for the final episode of her show. She already had the show THEN he asked her out, not the other way around.
      Here's an interview with her detailing that. http://www.pr.com/article/1089

October 12, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  37. citizenUSA

We know what happens behind the scenes when the camers are off. They sit around naked smoking pot.

October 12, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Mark

If you've seen her promo tape when she was a lowly waitress, you too would question who is she sleeping with to get these shows. She moved to LA as a waitress hoping to land a job in hollywood as a waitress. And a super unfunny one at that.

October 12, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Stephen

No Chelsea in Canada heh? I already have health care...but that's a good reason to move north!

October 12, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  40. stef24

I hope this show works out...I love watching her bloopers and skits with the staff more than watching her interview her guests. Good Lord, the time she was 'Judge Lately' and Bruce Jenner was on with his 'stalker'...that was awesome.

October 12, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  41. mike82

"a 30-minute program that will focus on the backstage goings-on at her popular talk show, "Chelsea Lately" Sounds like a rip off of 30 Rock, and according to the article, also a rip off of Curb!

October 12, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Kat27

That is great news, Chelsea is hilarious and blunt.
    Too bad we don't get E channel in Canada....darn.

October 12, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Eric7272

I love Chelsea!! She is a breath of fresh air on t.v and I can't wait for this show to go on the air!! All three of her books are hilarious as well! She should have her own reality show.

October 12, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • cantweagree

I agree, she is really pretty funny but lots of people don´t get the humor. If you don´t have a cetain amount of active brain cells it will be too much of a challeange.

October 12, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Whiteram

I find her funny, but calling someone who doesn't stupid reminds me of that political party that cannot be disagreed with or they call you either stupid, racist, or both. It's okay to find her funny, not funny or something in between and be perfectly fine. Only name-callers are stupidheads.

October 12, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • atxitmom

Am I the only person in the world who refuses to watch "reality" (emphasis on quotation marks) shows?!

October 12, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Trevor, Austin, TX

It baffles me that anybody finds her funny. I would laugh if she were disemboweled on screen, otherwise she makes me want to stab my eyes out with a fork.

October 12, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • keith

You should watch more than and save us all the trouble...

October 12, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Austin Rob

Could not agree more! She is definitely unfunny & overrated.
      And we could watch a movie on that forehead!

October 12, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Damian

I totally disagree, but I guess we all have different senses of humor. Apparently I am not alone based on millions of fans who watch her show, got to her live shows and buy her books!

October 12, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • eldono

So? What's holding you back?

October 12, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Raultx

She's as funny as diaherra but without the upside. (weightloss)

October 12, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • erin

Trevor – I hear they're having a sale on forks at Walmart. Buy plenty and use them immediately!!!

October 12, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheppard

Trevor – I agree with you that I fail to see her 'humor', but dude! a little over-board there! Just change the channel!

October 12, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • atxitmom

Damian – just because millions shop at Walmart and watch reality shows apparently make those ok, too, huh?

October 12, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • sugar

Raultx- If you have to explain it, it's not funny.

October 12, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • SheIsNotFunny

She's OK in a controlled environment when she has to read other writers stuff. Own her own, she is nothing more than bus tub juice.

October 12, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  45. dwhat

As with other jobs she has got in th epast, I wonder who she is screwing around with to have gotten this job.

October 12, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Traci1103

She and Ted (the head of E!) broke up quite some time ago. For him to give her another show, she must bring in a lot of money.

October 12, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Gina

YES! I love her! Can't wait for this new show, it's going to be hilarious!!

October 12, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Daniel

Still no availability in Canada – not one network here is picking her up since E! went off the air in Canada.

October 12, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • free2comment

Chelsea is sometimes so out of control funny I wheeze with laughter

October 12, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • blah

no big loss Canada, She is about as funny as a wet pack of matches that don't light up.

October 12, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • ChelseaSucks

Uh, she sucks. There is not one funny thing about her or her act. Saw her in concert and we asked for our money back. All she could talk about was how she smeared chocolate cake on the bed sheets to look like she pooped in the bed. Hmmm.

October 12, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |