Adam Lambert will tone it down for Malaysian concert
October 12th, 2010

Adam Lambert will tone it down for Malaysian concert

He may have shocked the United States with his same-sex kiss on last year's American Music Awards, but Adam Lambert has vowed to tone it down for his upcoming performance in Malaysia.

The Pan Malaysian Islamic Party has reportedly expressed fears that Lambert's show would promote "gay culture" in the predominantly Muslim country, where homosexual activity is illegal, according to the UK's Guardian newspaper.

As a result, the openly gay "American Idol" runner-up Lambert, 28, will make a few alterations at his Kuala Lumpur concert – but he isn't necessarily happy about it.

"While I don't believe that my glamnation tour is in any way offensive I have agreed to make a few minor adjustments out of respect for the Malaysian government. Looking forward to a fun show," the flamboyant entertainer tweeted.

"Does my show 'promote the gay lifestyle'?" he continued. "It promotes living ANY lifestyle that includes the freedom to seek love and intimacy. Gay, straight, bi, young or old. It's all inclusive."

Plus, Lambert added, " What's THE gay lifestyle? There isn't just one. There are so many different kinds of gay people. We have a variety of different lifestyles. There's not only one lifestyle lived by straight folks. Generalizing...."

Post by:
Filed under: Adam Lambert • Music

1. CrystalM

You people (i.e Bruce Springsteen and his band of half-wits ) are the exact reason people like Tyler Clementi end their lives. They live in a society with people like you. Nothing in this world is more dangerous than a person with a closed mind. This is exactly what it creates. It is 2010! Time to get over all this hatred toward your fellow man for simply having a different opinion than you do. Time to get over feeling surperior. Things have changed. Times are diofferent. Such is life. Without that change where would we be as a society, and as individuals? Adam Lambert represents freedom, freedom to tap into who you truly are and to turn and face the world without fear. That is the single toughest thing in this world to accomplish as a human being. Fearlessness. He owns who he is. It is better to live like that, than to live the way people like Bruce Springsteen do. Allowing others to make their minds up for them. Allowing society to dictate their beliefs. Time to wake up and get over yourselves. He kisses boys. Big damn deal. So do I. You gonna hang me for that? I would love to see you try:)

October 13, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. CrystalM

October 13, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. mrdoc

They gave us culture- art- we gave them.. Adam Lambert and McDonalds.. no wonder we are so universally hated.

October 13, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  4. KS

So my question is this, why would an openly gay "artist" choose to perform in a country where his lifestyle is illegal??

October 13, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  5. Boscobear

Live my chosen lifestyle or take the $$ and run? Which one do I choose?

October 13, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  6. Lisa

Who Cares!

October 13, 2010 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  7. Darth Vader

There was a man I who came to prominence in the 1970's, that this man reminds me a lot of. His name was Vincent Furnier. He's quite famous.

October 13, 2010 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  8. God

There was a man I created, who came to prominence in the 1970's, that this man reminds me a lot of. His name was Vincent Furnier. He's quite famous.

October 13, 2010 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  9. Johanne

I saw Adam's Concert here in Québec, Canada not toned down and nothing was really offensive as a kiss is just a kiss, straight or gay. Near 70,000 people attended including familiies with kids of all ages as it was part of an Air Balloon Festival and it was a huge success and did not see any bad comments anywhere. The concert was fabulous and Adam singing live is even better than recorded. If some people think that they will be offended, its very simple DO NOT ATTEND the concert and let the ones that will not attend.

People will not become gay because it is no longer illegal and gay people will remain gay even if it is illegal and it is not like the measles... you cannot catch it.

October 12, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Frank

Who the hell was shocked by his performance? Some people in the Bible Belt? Seriously, this has been done decades before. Sometimes I'm ashamed to be American.
    And his music is just not that good. I couldn't even get through one song. BORING.

October 12, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Youarebetterer

Glad to see at last there's an article about adam, but should have said something about his 70+ GlamNation concert tours this summer all sold out and cheered by enthusiastic crowds from all over the US, or about the miracle he works by inspiring people and making them feel energized and happier with themselves and yes that there is some beauty and hope and friendliness to go round!

October 12, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. mrhands

What a f**cking sell out. If he had any credibility he would cancel the gig. But I guess all he wants is money.

October 12, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. TonyC

Leave the guy alone,he is not pretending to be something he is not(like sooo many other artists),he is not hurting anyone.
    I am as straight as as you can be,but I have gay friends and I hve no hatred towards people different than me.And (Marnie) Elton John just happens to be one of the most sucessful artists of all time....so apparently most of the world doesn't share your views!

October 12, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Boy George

Is that me 20 years ago???

October 12, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  15. cant read

U SHOULD HAVE WON IDOL AND U A GOOD ARTIST. AND RESPECTFUL OF OTHER COUNTRIES' BELIEFS. GO MAN. KEEP ON. AND I LOVE THAT MADWORLD SONG U DID TOO

October 12, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Bruce Springsteen

THE gay lifestyle is the one where Adam sucks another guy's weiner. It's also where people think it's "Adam and Steve" instead of "Adam and Eve"

October 12, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Ryan

personally I cannot stand his singing...all that screeching just makes me want to punch his face in, but I would probably be charged with a hate crime.

October 12, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Annie

There are performers who have done for worse on and off the stage, but yet know one seems to care about that. In fact some of these artist are called legends and admired. So, if you are a gay artist you are supposed to act a certain way and are not allowed the freedom to express yourself in the same way a straight artist can.

October 12, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Kelly

Artists should be able to do what they want on stage – even do a bad Boy George imitation, if they want.

October 12, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Lisa

Adam is so good looking,Oh if he just wasen't so Gay. Love his eyes.

October 12, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Startover

I have several gay friends. None of which are as disgusting as this guy. Not sure what happens when people get famous. It's like that don't think about how they look anymore. They seem to only appeal to the flamers which as about 1% of the community. I do not wanna look at this guy anywhere. Change the channel.....

October 12, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cheeto

Pardon me, but your ignorance is showing. His outfit in the pic is a costume from his live act. Adam has more class in his little finger than any gay basher has in their entire body. Now please crawl back into your hole and stop reading about Adam

October 12, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • kris

Hey Moron, you clicked on this article, read it and replied. You have just put your ignorant self in the "1%" you're talking about. You're a total idiot.

October 13, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Jerv

He looks like "Willie" Wonka.

October 12, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  22. james

Dont sell out Adam...skip Malaysia.

October 12, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • God

Adam sold out already. He does this for the money, not that there is anything wrong with wanting to make a living at doing what you want to do or have to do.

Being who I am, however, I can tell you that Adam is not my most talented creation.

That belongs to someone you have ignored for his entire life.

October 13, 2010 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  23. Olivia

Oh, please. He's doing it for the money. Does he worry about offending Mormans in Utah or Baptists in Alabama? No, because he won't get arrested.

October 12, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  24. suzi stars n peace

I respect adam lambert so much for being brave enough to be himself and be inspirational. Bcuz there are so many people out there who try to act straight and really arent. I know they do it out of fear but i cant tell u how many people i know try to do drugs or drink bcuz they r afraid to love themselves for who they really r. Aint nothing wrong with being gay aint nothing wrong with being a straight aint nothing wrong with being a tree aint nothing wrong with being a flower aint nothing wrong with being a piranha. Be who u r. I know so many gays and lesbians that get married and try to have kids so they look straight to the outside world. If u feel somebodys orientations ur business to talk about then i say get educated and get a life cuz u obviously r wasting the one u got.

October 12, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  25. A N D

Being gay is genetic. I say this because we're all born with a sinful nature. Some people just embrace their sin because nowadays we're so far from the Lord that we just make excuses to sin. Make the right choice and find the solution. Jesus Christ. We're all wretched sinners but we can be redeemed.

October 12, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Monday

So awesome :). Very true about "generalizing" the gay lifestyle.. Because, well, there isn't one. Heh. Just like there isn't one straight lifestyle :3.
    Though, I give major kudos to Lambert for wanting to make some changes to his show out of respect. Not to many entertainers would actually do that...

October 12, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  27. jeff

I'll be glad when this guy's 15 minutes are up.

October 12, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Interesting

Gay people want respect. Look at him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 12, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • annie

Duh, it's a costume for a stage performance. His normal wear is the same as any other male..jeans tee shirt and ball cap.

October 12, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

What does appearance have to do with gays being accepted? Moron.

October 12, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Marnie

Yes, he is being respectful. And also avoiding getting arrested...

October 12, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Name*Sue

The gay lifestlyle is not normal no matter how many times you tell us it is.

October 12, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alethia68

I agree with you Sue. You are not born into this lifestyle, it is a choice. Attention all gays it is not genetic.

October 12, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phil

I dare you to define "normal".

October 12, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • troy

Gender preference is innate.....things like intolerance and Christianity are abnormal lifestyle choices.

October 13, 2010 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Claude

...and you're still an ignorant bigot not matter how hard you try to convince us you're not.

October 13, 2010 at 5:55 am | Report abuse |
  31. Tom, Long Beach, California

MAN GAGA

October 12, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  32. T

It kills me how gay folks always demanding someone repect them. What about you respect those of us who dont agree w/your lifestyle. Stop trying to ram how you live down our throat as normal. Your normal is not my normal. If you're so respectful of this country dont say anything about their beliefs. You're lucky you live in a country where you can even express yourself w/o fear of death.

October 12, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phil

Inasmuch as you just did the very same thing yourself.. Pot, meet the kettle..

October 12, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • bitz

World English Dictionary
      bigot (ˈbɪɡət)

— n
      a person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own, esp on religion, politics, or race

October 13, 2010 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
    • bitz

The word here is 'intolerant' T you are exactly that, and your grammer sux.

October 13, 2010 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Claude

How about you just go to hell, bigot.

October 13, 2010 at 5:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Idc

I don't see a problem with what this guy said. I am someone who is for Gay marriage and all for Gay people being treated equally and having the same rights as the rest of us. With that said, I agree with him that Gay people seem to believe that everyone else should respect their lifestyle that they just don't agree with. I know some Gay people, and I could careless that they are Gay. I'm their friend because I know them and the reasons for me liking them have nothing to do with the fact that they are Gay. But even with them, I see the same problem. Because I'm their friend they do not include me in with this view,but they seem to have this same view toward others. If you are going out of your way to do something that will affect the lives of Gay people whose lifestyle you don't agree with, thats one thing. But if you just do not agree with it, then I don't really see anything wrong with that.

Excuse me if I offended anyone by saying the "G" word (Anderson Cooper).

October 13, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Idc

P.S.

I can't stand Adam Lambert!!!!!!!!!! Lady GaGa & this dude are exploiting the whole Gay thing for their personal benefit.

October 13, 2010 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  33. lori

I saw Adam when he was in DC this past Summer and it was a fantastic show!!! Let's focus on how dynamic a performer Adam is and what incredible tallent he posseses. This is coming from a female Baptist Minister and University voice teacher. Adam doesn't just "belong" to some, he is loved by such a diverse community! Let's celebrate that!

October 12, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  34. LL

There's nothing new about Adam Lambert's look. He just looks like a carbon copy of Boy George in the 80s. *yawn*

October 12, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marnie

If Elton John and Boy George could have a son, he would be Adam Lambert.

October 12, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  35. IWILLBESTEVETODAY

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BOY. WHEN DID ELLEN DEGENERES START DOING CONCERTS????

October 12, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  36. bumble

Oh yay. Another Boy Geroge.

October 12, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Arthur A. Cevallos

I don't judge the man I judge the music. The music is excellent. I enjoy Adam Lambert for his excellent music.

October 12, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  38. jenickki

Love this guy!! What I adore even more is the fact that he is being respecful of the culture where he is performing. I don't know many performers who would do that. I think it's pretty fair to say that most countries are way more liberal than we are here in the states; I don't think the culture thing will come into play when you play Europe.
    Have a great tour.

October 12, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  39. Chris

Adam – you rock. Sorry that ppl are such asses. Keep it up. Being yourself is what we want!

October 12, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  40. Wendy

Yes Adam you are so right about generalizing but it's admirable you will turn it down out of respect. Good decision.

October 12, 2010 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Really?

He's not tuning it down out of respect...he wants the money and will do whatever it takes not to loose out on the cash.

October 12, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Santha

He is the artist . He has an extraordinary personality. He performance is really good . The money runs behind him and it is time to catch it.

October 12, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  41. bob moomoo

u dress wierd

October 12, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  42. Jasmin

Obviously you do, at least. If you didn't care, you wouldn't read the article and even waste your time replying to it.

October 12, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Daniel

Bruce Springsteen, I must say that it is very high critisim from a guy who kisses his band members on stage!

October 12, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Bruce Springsteen

Yeah, I kiss my band members onstage, but it's a manly kiss, just like when I nut cup Clarence Clemmons

October 12, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  45. TexasGirl

What does this have to do with Adam Lambert... Presidential bashers will stoop to anything – why don't you try being the president for a year and see how well YOU do! Adam Lambert makes good music and I respect him for respecting other cultures. Way to go him!

October 12, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Phil

Hey, can I have some of that Campbell's Tomato Soup? It's my favorite!

October 12, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Phil

Maybe the article was supposed to be about Kris Allen.. because you know how horrific and offensive he is by all living creatures throughout the universe, right?

October 12, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Phil

If you are subscribing to an Internet provider service and accessing this article from that service, you're paying more than a dime to see this "no talent fruit". Just sayin', Jeff..

October 12, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Marnie

Because he has an amazing voice?

October 12, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Claude

If you will come out of the closet, you won't have to read articles on Adam Lambert with a flashlight.

October 13, 2010 at 5:57 am | Report abuse |
  51. Marcus Allen

Who's Kris Allen, one of your middle school classmates?

October 12, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  52. God

C'mon Bruce, you and I both know how you like to kiss them backstage. Let's be open and honest (not like you'll be welcome in my house, anyway, but it might prevent you from suffering something worse than being a social reject in Heaven.

October 13, 2010 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |