'Zoolander 2' script has roles for Ferrell, Jonah Hill
October 11th, 2010

'Zoolander 2' script has roles for Ferrell, Jonah Hill

Almost 10 years after he became an international sensation, Derek Zoolander is ready to strut his stuff down the catwalk again - and it seems the man behind Blue Steel has gotten a little gray.

According to actor Justin Theroux, who co-wrote the script for the "Zoolander" sequel with leading man Ben Stiller, the new film will find aging mannequins Zoolander and Hansel (Owen Wilson) on the verge of hitting 40 and no longer top models.

"[W]e start off with them in a pretty bad place," Theroux told MTV at New York's Comic-Con on Saturday. "They're about to ring 40's bell. They have to claw their way back into the fashion industry in some way or another."

Theroux, who expects the new "Zoolander" movie to hit theaters in 2012, added that Will Ferrell's villain Mugatu plays a role in the latest plot and that there's even a part for actor Jonah Hill.

""Fingers crossed, anything is possible in Hollywood, but I think you're going to see Mugatu," Theroux said. "There are a couple new villains that step onto the stage, which we are all very happy about. And yes, Jonah is the inspiration for one of them."

Post by:
Filed under: movies

1. Kerrylen

By far the most concise and up to date inaormftion I found on this topic. Sure glad that I navigated to your page by accident. I’ll be subscribing to your feed so that I can get the latest updates. Appreciate all the inaormftion here

July 13, 2012 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  2. Ed

I can't remember the last time I coughed and didn't say, "I got the black lung, Pop."

October 12, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. RS

Why the *insert expletive here* is Jonah Hill in this ? The man is not funny. I didn't find him funny in anything I ever saw him in. How is he getting these parts ?

That being said, I'm curious to see how this'll turn out. I love Ben & Owen. Hope Christine gets to reprise her role in here too. I thought the first one was hilarious. Curious, if Mugatu is back, does that mean Katinka's with him ? That would be fun.

October 12, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  4. mdmh

You think you're too cool for school. Well I have a news flash for you, Walter Cronkite...........you aren't.

October 12, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. DaMadBlogger

Please visit my new actors blog, I post casting calls,entertainment news , and auditions . My site is http://theactorslot.blogspot.com/ Thanks

October 12, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  6. shodi abdulvasiev

"i am bolimic" – "oh my god, she can read minds"....LOL

October 12, 2010 at 4:33 am | Report abuse |
  7. Mario

Jonah Hill is gross. The most recent new young stars (male) are either gangly and ugly (Jesse Eisenberg) or fat and gross like Jonah Hill. Why are ugly people taking over Hollywood?

October 12, 2010 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Pericles Bacchus

Because he/they take it up the ass all the way to the throat. And suck and swallow.

October 12, 2010 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
  8. rob

hey guys.. check out this interesting article.. news7dailyreport.info/News7daily-Storyid=43work-at-home-mom-d40fl.html

October 11, 2010 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Frank

Hollywood just continues to run out of ideas.

October 11, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. OMG

Do you ever think there may be more to life then being ridiculously good looking?

The same look??? THE SAME LOOK?!!?

I'm not an ambi-turner

But..... Why male models?? Are you kidding??

I stayed in a DAY SPA... D A I Y E!

And then I became bulimic. Oh my god, you can read minds??

GREAT MOVIE!!!

October 11, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mike Hanns

If they make a sequel, which would seem like a strange idea, given how lame the original was, they should make it about the Will Ferrell, since he was the only thing watchable about the original. Otherwise, its a waste of time.

October 11, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

"should make it about the Will Ferrell, since he was the only thing watchable about the original. "

More like Bowie.

October 11, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Daniel Boland

Technically, there wasn't really a "script" for the first movie. ;)

October 11, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jay

No..please, ... don't...

October 11, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Stephanie

I feel like I'm taking CRAZY pills!!

October 11, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bruce

yeap

October 11, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  16. George K

"'m pretty sure there's a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking. And I plan on finding out what that is."

October 11, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Justin Corrigible

I became bulimic.

You can read minds?

October 11, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  18. am

Zoolander is a perfectly timed non-subtle comedy. It isn't for those who like subtle or even "intelligent" humor. It is for the humor brute (and I'm a proud member of this group). The timing of the film was impecable making each laugh harder and more surprising than the previous. Also the Zoolander character was surprisingly consistent.. not an easy feet.

Will Ferrell was awesome in this film as well.. few comedies are as memorable as this one. I feer for the sequel... it will be hard to repeat the success of the first.

October 11, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  19. GD

What is the script...like, half a page long?

October 11, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Sarge

Please, THIS movie gets a sequel? If there was any justice, there'd be an "Anchorman" sequel. But for whatever reason that got shot down.

October 11, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Mae-sa

They're breakdance fighting!

October 11, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Lloyd

I'm still waiting for a sequel to Dumb and Dumber. I know they made a prequel. But where are Harry and Lloyd now?

October 11, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  23. nathalie

The world seriously needs a break from Jonah Hill. Guy's an exhausting scene chewer..

October 11, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  24. phasersonstun

Listen to your friend Billy Zane, he's a cool dude!

October 11, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  25. phastersonstun

What? The pictures are INSIDE the computer?

October 11, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hafid

The integration of music, nairtaron and graphics was perfect. I love the design for its clarity and restraint. The messages were solid and very helpful in the face of increasing complexity and, dare I say it, indulgence in data representation. Lovely!

July 13, 2012 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  26. matt

At least Zoolander wasn't Bruno, now there was a bad movie!

October 11, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Jenn0427

Yes its a dopey premise, and a over the top film, but it is also one of the funniest movies i ever saw. Im hope as well that the 2nd movie lives up to the first. I am doubtful a bit. I like when he goes outside to talk to god, and he thinks he calls him on the worlds tiniest cell phone! "god"!? Haha.

October 11, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  28. pooch

IMerman. MERMAN!!!

October 11, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Scrappy

I can't belivee this is still two years away. I guess you gotta tame the beast before you let it out of its cage.

October 11, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  30. billy

Ooohh..... the files are "inside" the computer...

October 11, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Keith Ratliff

It's so SIMPLE!

*Smashes computer in front of audience*

*confused* Hey! Where the files at?

October 11, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Finster

When will people learn that some movies are to entertain and not all of them have to be Schindler's list. All you movie snobs can Dereleek my balls

October 11, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  32. fan

hopefully the team that is resurrecting this franchise realizes how tough it's going to be to successfully create a better zoolander. i can't wait to see this. jonah hill isn't my fave, but Get Ign to the Greek was funny as hell and really restored my faith in his abilities. so excited to see this!!!

October 11, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Warren

BEANS AND FRANKS, BEANS AND FRANKS !

October 11, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

Aww It would've been funnier if you had put the FRANKS before the BEANS...solid effort.

October 11, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Simple Jack

His ma-ma-movies make me ha-ha-happy! I get all tingly in a ba-ba-bad place when I lo-lo-lo-look at his wife!

October 11, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Nepotist

I wonder if his wife will be in the movie too? OF COURSE SHE WILL !

October 11, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  36. jocko

relax and go to your happy place. happeee, happy, happeeee, happy, ahaaaha aaah ........... prime minister: BAD martial arts: GOOD

October 11, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  37. ajmatesi

Wow i've been wanting a sequel for Zoolander for a while. I always envisioned it as having kid be the up and coming star and Derek helps show him the ropes. I've been told I am a look-a-like for Ben Stiller since I was in high school when the first movie came out. I'd give anything to find out how I can get in on this film ajmatesi@gmail.com or twitter @ajmatesi if you have any info!

October 11, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Le Tigre

There was a moment last night, when she was sandwiched between the two Finnish dwarves and the Maori tribesmen, where I thought, "Wow, I could really spend the rest of my life with this woman".

October 11, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  39. khocolatemoose

Why does every successful film have to have a sequel? The first film was entertaining, but it certainly wasn't great either. Sometimes, you just need to leave it be and not be greedy. Not every film needs to have a sequel or become a trilogy, especially this one. But I want to add that I do love Ben Stiller, especially in Next of Kin.

Please feel free to add to the conversation about films at http://khocolatemoose.wordpress.com/

We'd love to hear what you think, and often.

October 11, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  40. MC1968

Jonah Hill is the poster child for what it takes to make it in Hollywood. Just grow up rich and live next door to Dustin Hoffman.

October 11, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Jester of the Apocalypse

I can deraleekt my own balls, thank you very much!

October 11, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Here's Johnny

Although I enjoyed all of Zoolander, my favorite part was the grimace that John Voight managed every time he saw his son. Personally, I thought he deserved an Oscar just for creating such an expression and I am willing to bet that it cracked up the cast and crew every time they had to shoot a scene. If you don't believe me, watch the movie again.

October 11, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Help here

Hey guys, will you visit SaveStan.ORG a friend of mine with 4 young children is fighting for his life..... Thanks

October 11, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  44. TCF098

Zoolander is easily one of the top 10 funniest movies ever made, and I highly anticipate Zoo2 being just as funny, if not funnier.

Can't wait.

October 11, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  45. MrThou

I will take you down. I will take you down to Chinatown.

October 11, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Erin

Todd, are you not aware that I get farty and bloated with a foamy latte?

October 11, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  47. tha_goods

Why do I continue to watch ZOOLANDER!!! RELAX !! Must watch ZOOLANDER!!

October 11, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Kathy

I loved the original Zoolander. It was hysterical from start to finish – an absolutely brilliant send-up of the fashion industry. That said, I'm very apprehensive about a sequel. I fear a repeat of the fiasco known as "Meet The Fockers." Some things are best left alone.

October 11, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Bob

The best bit in Zoolander was David Duchovny as the hand model. Even now, after my wife or I cough, we'll say "I got the black lung, Pop." People shouldn't automatically knock something or someone as not funny just because they don't get it. I personally think Vince Vaughn is less funny than your typical traffic court judge, but I don't have anything bad to say about him.

October 11, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Sally

I'm a hand model mama – a finger jockey. We're not like those face & body boys...
      Classic

October 11, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tu Madre

Eh yo , Vince is freaking hilarious... you obviously have no sense of humor

October 12, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  50. Jrad

YES OMG YES!

merMAN dad, merMAN!

October 11, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  51. Jebus

Instead of fighting Ben Stiller, why not reason with him?

October 11, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  52. Tu Madre

Dude you smoked wayy too much weed last night

October 11, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  53. Boberto

Lets join forces and fight against Ben Stiller.
    Email me at:
    tumadre@boobmail.com

October 11, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  54. Bobby

Whata weirdo

October 11, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  55. T-Bizzle

OMG WTH IS UP WITH HIS HAIR????? He looks like a derranged Possum! :)

October 11, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  56. Lex

Who you tryin' to get crazy with ese? Dont you know........I'M LOCO!!

October 11, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  57. Bryan

Orange Mocha Frappaccino's!!!!

October 11, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Amanda

LMAO! I was wondering when I would see this posted on here!!!

October 11, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Andi

The problem is that Starbucks doesn't make that flavor. I loooooove Zoolander.

October 11, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  58. jenickki

I happened to think Zoolander was a hoot. I think with Ben Stiller movies, you get em or you don't. Yes, they are overdone and the whole running around in circles with dialogue is mostly in them; but you know what you are getting yourself into. Ah, did anyone happen to notice that Alexander Skarsgård (Mr. Eric from True Blood) was in Zoolander?
    I have to agree with the Johah Hill thing as stated in previous posts, he's done. His range is limited. I hope that at least they give him something else to do except the same old persona that we see in every film he has done. (Mind you, I don't go to see a film because he is in it...he just keeps showing up in them).
    My thoughts.

October 11, 2010 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
    • shorty

Oh yes, the new one had better include a cameo for Alex!!!!!!!!! Perhaps something that plays off his new fame as a tv vampire, even. It would be hilarious if he popped up in the new one!

October 11, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

I DON'T GET EM!~!

October 12, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  59. Durk

I invented the piano key neck tie! What have you done Derek!

October 11, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  60. Josh

@NOYbizz You sir are 100% wrong.

October 11, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • be quiet

No, he's 100% RIGHT. Jonah sucks.

October 11, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • OTP

Labeling Jonah Hill as a 'one trick pony' is spot on. That guys is just another chubby kid that really brings nothing to the table. I hope he believes in God....cause he needs to be thanking him every single night. Otherwise...he's flopping whopper at BK.

October 11, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Josh

@OTP You sir are 200% wrong for blindly agreeing with an incorrect premise. And may God have mercy on your humorless soul! :)

October 11, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • NOYbizz

Sorry, Josh. You're right – he's a THREE-trick pony: loud, obnoxious, vulgar. (Notice, no "funny" included.) Someone thought he might be the next Belushi/Candy/Farley – the funny big guy protoypes of the last 35 years. Unfortunately, those guys had actual comedic TALENT, something Jonah Hill is entirely lacking. Same thing someone obviously (and equally mistakenly) thought about Horatio Sanz. Epic fail on both.

October 11, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh

my weewee goes all crazy for Jonah Hill.

October 11, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  61. NOYbizz

Can we please stop the illusion that Jonah Hill is a talented/funny person who belongs in the entertainment industry? Just like most of the Apatow crew, he's a one-trick pony whose trick (which was weak to begin with) has completely played out.

October 11, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Jonah Blows

100% agree! I can't stand Jonah Hill. I loved the first Zoolander, but adding him to the mix makes me apprehensive about seeing the sequel. One trick pony is the perfect way to sum up that lard a$$.

October 11, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Jmaxx30

Agreed! I really liked Super Bad but probably more for Michael C and for the whole McLovin thing, and less for Jonah H.

October 11, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Jay

As much as I love Zoolander, I have serious doubts that the characters could support a second movie. The same jokes over again will not be funny the second time around, and how many more new jokes could they have up their sleeves?

October 11, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  63. boots mccracken

wow. lighten up people. this movie was good satire, and is a classic to people with good senses of humor under 40.

October 11, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  64. 2chome

I can't wait. Living in New York, this was the first movie I could drag myself out to see after 9/11. I laughed harder than I had in months, and boy did I need it. A personal memory, but a real one.

October 11, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  65. Gary Adams

Jez, this was without doubt the lamest movie of the extraordinary lame portfolio of movies done by Stiller [the ONE fricking exception being "There's Something About Mary" (1998)]. Somebody should hold an intervention and stop him from himself and the irreparable harm to others, particularly children. . .

October 11, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • hmm

Anyone that hates on Zoolander must not have much of a sense of humor. This movie start to finish was hilarious. And Stiller has plenty of great movies in his repetoir.. meet the parents? classic!!

October 11, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • nicojryan

Have you seen "Greenberg"? Ben Stiller has a great and moving performance in that film.

October 11, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • MikeofLA

You must be a Troll, as you just bashed and claimed that two of Stiller's funniest movies were crap. Something about Mary is consistently ranked one of the funniest movies of our time, and unless you took Zoolander seriously, it ranks up there with some of the best.

You must be a sad individual.

October 11, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jmaxx30

I'm the opposite, I think that Something About Mary is his least funny movie. Zoolander is absolutely funny.

"Well it's a walk off." Billy Zane's best (maybe his only) cameo.

So many great lines. Both Night at the Museums are good too. I'm very iffy about Ben Stiller, but I really like Zoolander.

October 11, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • om free bogart

Zoolander flings so many wicked shards of sendup that a lot of people with issues dislike it. You can only dislike Zoolander if you have issues. In fact I would venture that is is possibly the most issue laden film since Schindler's List, while more dramatic, and in color.

October 12, 2010 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Count D"Money

Earth to Gary... it's like just a funny movie, it wasn't real! Cheeeez!

October 12, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  66. moviefan42

LOLZ

October 11, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  67. Fred L. Fraud

Crap.

October 11, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Mitchell

I found a sense of humor in the lost and found. I think it might be yours.

October 11, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fred L. Fraud

Oh Mitchie baby – what you found were your teeth.

October 11, 2010 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  68. b badger

Zoolander was so bad. But yet it was so funny. I loved the "Gasoline Fight."

October 11, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  69. blacklung

what is this, a center for ants? it has to be at least....three times this big!

October 11, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • DoHo

"A eugooglizer: One who speaks at funerals. Or did you think I'd be too stupid to know what a eugoogly is?"

Not sure how I feel about a sequel...the first one was just so awesome

October 11, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gdog

Derek Zoolander: A model, idiot

October 11, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jix

'How bout I answer your question with another question...'

October 12, 2010 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
    • m3rl1n

Another crappy remake with an even worse actor.

October 28, 2010 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |