Eminem: I was bullied as a kid
October 11th, 2010

Eminem: I was bullied as a kid

Add Eminem to the long list of celebrities who say they were bullied as kids.

In a "60 Minutes" interview with Anderson Cooper last night, the rapper revealed that he switched schools so many times as a kid that he was considered an outcast.

"[I got] beat up in the bathroom, beat up in the hallways, shoved into lockers. You know, just...for the most part, man, you know, just bein' the new kid," Eminem said.

Discovering rap in his teens, however, helped him boost his confidence.

"Hip hop has always been braggin' and boasting and 'I'm better than you at this' and 'I'm better than you at that.' And I finally found something that yeah, this kid over here, you know, he may have more chicks, and he may, you know, have better clothes or whatever, but he can't do this like me," Eminem said. "He can't write what I'm writing right now. And it started to feel like, you know, maybe Marshall's gettin' a little respect."

Though he went on to become a music superstar, Em believes he's still being bullied by those who deem his lyrics to be homophobic and misogynistic.

"I felt like I was being attacked, I was being singled out," the Detroit native said. "And I felt like, is it because of the color of my skin? Is it because [of] that, you're paying more attention?... There's certain rappers that do and say the same things that I'm saying. And I don't hear no one saying anything about that. I didn't just invent saying offensive things."

Indeed, the 37-year-old father of two insists that he means no harm with his lyrics, and really does want everyone to just get along. "I don't have any problem with nobody, you know," he added.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. Killuminati

Killuminati!

November 21, 2010 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  2. chris

Eminem is a music icon, so what if the start he had was an unfortunate one. He worked his way to the top and continues to put out amazing tracks that are listened to and downloaded by millions. There is so much that is unknown about so many artists and superstars, most of it is information that the public shouldn't know. He is just trying to tell his story to those that want to listen, and if you don't care for it then click your home page and it will take you right back to your facebook. Every person has a right to change his mind, no matter what there ideas were.

October 13, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. chrissy

i love eminem...my parents dont buts thatts becuz they dont understand...i go to a prodominately black school (im white) i ve faced racism but honestly i get along wit every1....y do people hate sooo much...grow up. u have a rite 2 ur opinion but dont diss wat ur ignorant to.

October 13, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  4. thomas warukenya

those who hate eminem r not human beings with memory chronicles in their minds.the movie 8mile really gave me hope 4 a better morrow.big ups eminem,u r from far I shuld say

October 13, 2010 at 5:27 am | Report abuse |
    • voice of reason

Who are you tell Eminem haters that they aren't human? All people have a right to hate him whenever they want just as everybody has a right to love him. You can't expect everyone to like anyone. I mean, would you like it lots of people forced you to love somebody who you don't love?

In case you haven't noticed, hating is part of human nature. Just because someone doesn't like a certain person, it doesn't always make him or her bad. It's just means that he or she is human.

Just let those Eminem haters express their strong dislike of that rapper by ignoring them. If you pay attention to them by typing badly to them, then you're just as bad they are. Therefore, ti's best to leave them be and focus on people, places, and/or things you're interested. Besides, retaliating at all haters is a waste of time.

July 18, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. M-M

Eminen rock awesome his awesome..hate him or love him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's up to u.

October 12, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. dbox

for those who overcame trials and became victorious.. really good song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH4zZctQPb8

October 12, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. smasheduprr

Everyone commenting should know he is friends with Elton John and Elton helped him through his drug addiction

October 12, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mylles

All this talk about punk kids and gays is so tiring men, what the world turning into for real? I mean we've major networks and all really saying yeah it's okay to be a punk, it's okay to be gay. Think deeply as a man, a mother would you be happy if your kid was a punk or gay? Pull your pants up people cause i know deep down in your heart you don't want your child or cousin to be that. When i was growing up, i wasn't no punk or none of that dumb stuff and a bully better not step to me as i was raised not to back down. In life you've got to fight for yours as it's not going to be handed to you. imagine your son come home crying because a classmate bullied him? i'm sorry i'm not petting him but will whoop his ass, take him back and watch him swing till he can swing no more and then i'm a handle the kid and pops myself. What happens to all the Alpha males men? you got soulja boy singing about getting his pretty boy swag on and the world is singing it with him, i mean common people. Gay's are also getting a little too bold these days, making facial expressions to people who are not gay, let me find one try some gay face with me and i'm a choke the fool. i'm jut saying. We as people need to stop supporting what is wrong in the society. Very soon it will be right to abuse kids and society will support it if care is not taken.

October 12, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Toya

I don't see him as a hypocrite. Mentioning someone in a rap is a lot different than producing an entire song about the person (called a diss record). How many times does a person have to explain and explain something that happened in the past and really wasn't their intention?

People have such hatred for his music but will glad stand up and hold hands with Rush Limbaugh and his other Tea Party supporters in their phobic beliefs towards gays and non-Christians yet what they do is okay.

And regarding the profane language... It's obvious that your knowledge of rap is pretty narrow. Sure Eminem curses a lot but no where near the amount that other rappers do. I have no problem listening to the explicit version of Em's albums because the edited version seems to bleep out the stupid stuff. Things that are really no big deal in my book. Now there are some rappers that I never dream of listening to the explicit version of their music because it is just so dirty.

The irritation that some people have with Eminem, I believe really has to do is race. Some people that race is a state of being. That if you're white, you should act white; that if you're black, you should act black. That ones socioecoeconomic status doesn't factor into things. Yes, he's white but his background is black, and that seems to bother a lot of people. I think it might be due to the fear that in encouraging their kids to interact with people that are not like themselves, they could invertently expose them to something that they as parents hadn't counted on.

And really whose fault is that? I have been an Eminem fan since his debut back in 1999. I was 14 at the time. I'm now a 25 year old grad student. My parents were pretty strict (I had a 10:30 curfew, hung out with friends maybe once or twice a month, and going out with them on any day other than Saturday was certainly out of the question) and I turned out pretty well despite my own stupid decisions (like having a senior year instead of just going on to college a year early) and being a rap fan. You know why? I had parents that kept me in reality and taught me to think for myself instead of leaving others to do it for me. So even though I love Eminem, I know that what he produces to not something to take as the truth. It's art. Like movies, TV, and certain forms of literature, he's telling a story. And who am I (the viewer) to tell the artist what brush he should use? That's where the phrase "I may not know art but I know what I like" comes into play. If you hate Eminem then okay but obviously he's not so terrible if he managed to sell 80 million albums and the crime rate has not spiked so obscenely in the last 11 years.

October 12, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joe

He deserved it.

October 12, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • real life

you deserve it no1 deserves to be picked on grow up im 16 and think ur a loser.

October 13, 2010 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Mar

@Joe You're an a**hole, guess you were the one bullying kids in school huh? I got picked on just for being Italian, did I deserve that? I think not. I used to go home from school crying every single day. People love to hate, and guess people have hated on me my entire life. Guess you're a hater. So keep your comments to yourself. NO ONE should EVER have to endure being picked on or bullied. It's people like you that I completely despise.

October 13, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • KP

Right now with what u r saying u are a bully, There Is nothing ok with this type of abuse an NO ONE DESERVES TO BE BULLIED. Get help

October 16, 2010 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • anonymous

You confuse me with that comment.

July 11, 2011 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  11. bindo

Well now, got to love the hypocrites who come out and remind us how the country was founded by a group called the 'Puritans'... Why is it alright for an 18 year old to fight in politically motivated wars for profit and possibly lose his limbs or life? Its also alright for young boys ( pre-teens) to engage in video games that promote war and death.. But funny, it's not okay for an 18 year old to dance, sing, put on make up and stretch her boundaries?

It's a sad state of affairs which is only getting worse.

Peace

October 12, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
    • hypocrite hater

You were being sarcastic about loving hypocrites, right? Whether you were or weren't, I hate them (except for ones who give up hypocrisy). Heck, I know what it's like to be a hypocrite. And it doesn't feel good at all. Therefore, I try not to be hypocritical.

Supporting hypocrisy is a big no-no and for really good reason: It causes major and unnecessary harm. As the old saying goes, practice what you preach. If not, you'll make lots of enemies.

July 11, 2011 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  12. Wobbles

If you dont know what he has been through check out his new CD number 4 and 7 both are just amazing I listen to them every single day to and from work because its deep...quote from the Im not afraid...

"I'm not afraid to take a stand
    Everybody come take my hand
    We'll walk this road together, through the storm
    Whatever weather, cold or warm
    Just let you know that, you're not alone
    Holla if you feel that you've been down the same road"

So yeah that right there can be looked at in so many ways...Living in the hood hes been there done that, bullied...hes been there done that. Im a HUGE Eminem fan if he could drop the cursing a bit even more so but see thats the thing about Em. He does his thing and you like him or you dont.

October 12, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  13. sl

Em has made some great rap music but I think he needs to tone down on his use of obscene vocabulary. At the end of the day should we be doing things because others do the same? I don't buy that argument. He's an icon in a lot of kids minds and being kids they grasp the rapper's lyrics quickly and hence begin using the same obscene words which is not a healthy trend. As for Justin Beiber – I think he's just an over-rated commercial mouthpiece. He'll make mints of money and disappear into a rehab like the rest of the spoilt teenage clowns .

October 12, 2010 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
  14. lonzo

you know alot of people blame someone who is in the lime light for being too vulgar with the choice of words. If you were always in the lime light would you change everything about you to better fit the needs of other people or would you be yourself... some of you say he is this and that but at the end of the day he is just like us, some of us arent against gay people its just not a thing that we dont agree with. i dont agree with it but doesnt mean that i hate everything thats gay.. i have friends that are gay and they know how i feel about the situation but they also know that im a good friend to them... we all have our opinions and we should have no problem accepting other people opinions as well.. so enought said... eminem is human just like me and you... and isnt there such a law as freedom of speech..

October 12, 2010 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |
  15. Tassie

Yeah I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks he's a hypocrite. He's no different from his bullies. He makes fun and curses other people that never did anything to him... yet everybody thinks he's a hero for that very reason. He just makes me sick.

October 11, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • fellow eminem hater

i'm so sorry for reporting you for abuse. i didn't mean to do that. i meant to click reply. now that i have, i'll make up for reporting you by thanking you for pointing out what a jerk that rapper. if you ask me, i think that you're the best commentator in this webpage.

don't let those people who kiss up to eminem get you down. you don't deserve that. they probably don't know how to respect those who are different from them.

July 11, 2011 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  16. Frank

Tell us something new, Em. It was obvious telling from your music. I just hope he continues to rise above all of his issues.

October 11, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  17. WOWOWOOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOOWOWW

ahem....EMINEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    aight lets see the list..
    eminem=king of rap
    mj=king of pop
    elvis=king of rock
    justin bieber=king of ga y

October 11, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  18. JJ

your an idiot you talk about being a bully and you go ahead and spread lies about others through your music.

October 11, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  19. rabbitwantsaniphone

I really enjoyed the 60 minutes spot last night. I don't particularly care for rap in general and will not become a fan based on the interview, but I think hes got a really great outlook and he reaches the masses. The music seems to have grown up with the man. I won't become a fan but I respect him more and take him a little bit more seriously now.

October 11, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  20. LTJ

It was a great piece - good interview. I wonder what the "bullies" think of Marshall now ?? & Stu - please do not label people –Cooper did a great job

October 11, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  21. stu

Anderson (who is gay) should have been more tough/direct w/ M&M. If he plans on taking over Oprah rein then he needs to bring out the guns (not the ones in his arms) in his interviews.

October 11, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  22. j

Haters gonna Hate

October 11, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  23. momofboys

Hate to post again, but Em sings of the hood. That is why so many with the money to buy music thinks of him as totally aggressive and mean. I love his music and can totally relate because I have lived on both sides of the fence. I grew up totally in a very rough neighborhood where violence and fighting was everywhere and now live a very financially safe life. The worlds do not mix and that is why he is seen so negatively. The hood never leaves your mind no matter how financially safe you become! His music shows us that even though he is now rich, he is still recovering from the fear of being poor, beaten, taken advantage of and hurt by those that are supposed to care about you. I totally relate

October 11, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  24. scissorhappyval@tmail.com

People change. We do everyday. People open other peoples eyes to new and different experiences and situations. 5 years ago I felt differently about very controversial situations than I do now. But that doesn't make me a hypocrite. Nor does it make eminem a fake/liar/hypocrite.

Geez justin bieber sings about being in love at 12. Is he a liar hypocrite?

I don't even particularly enjoy rapping but I think eminem would be a great person to have conversation with.

October 11, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  25. momofboys

Of course he was bullied, he grew up in the hood. The hood is a rough place to be with a lifestyle that the rich and privileged just doesnt understand. I was slapped, punched, beaten up regularly because I was an attractive teenage girl that tried to be "preppy" & still survive in the hood. We all develop our own strategies to deal with the crap. Em made some really great music from the experience and I focused on education as a way out of nowhere. Keeping our public schools diverse in economic backgrounds is key because it opens a window into other lifestyles.

October 11, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • dEf

We should mate.

October 11, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Camber York

completely agree. The only problem with public schools is the lack of control of their students. I am currently a senior in high school and I see it everyday. The very few openly gay kids we have get it the worse, the chess clubs students, the foreign language club kids, it's anyone who isn't a football, basketball player and that right there is not right. I'm on the school newspaper and every issue we do a featured athlete and this current issue we have the number one ranked chess player at our school and I think that is great, but I feel like the rest of the student body will just use it as ammo for their next attack. Yes, kids will be cruel, and talk bad because it is in our nature but there should be a line between far and too far.

October 13, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  26. mellenhead

@ohwow.. good points, but you lost your argument with your last statement. (Kind of along the lines a bully might say maybe?)

October 11, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  27. mellenhead

Don't yell.

October 11, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • anonymous@gmail.com

If only I knew who you were typing to, then I'd probably give you some advice.

July 11, 2011 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  28. OhWoW

Eminem really is the BIGGEST HYPOCRITE alive!
    He was 32 years old when he said f@gs are disgusting.
    And now everyone's rooting for gay marraige in hollywood, he says he got no problem with gay people.
    He believes in violence in his lyrics and yet in interview he says he's just acting in all those songs. How the hell anyone's supposed to believe he's EVER being sincere?
    He makes fun of celebs just to get some attention, just to sell records. He's just a clown not a rapper.
    Lame crackhead. In 10 years only fat kids will remember the name eminem as a piece of candy

October 11, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • troll patrol

It's called growing up. You should try it sometime.

October 11, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Carolina Aiello

He change his mind!!!You should be happy with this,if you are a reasonable person.
      Everyone has the right to make mistakes in life.

October 11, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ursan

Do you still believe in Santa Claus? If not by your logic your also a hypocrite

October 12, 2010 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Mins

He's gone through a lot in his life. I see no reason why he doesn't get a chance to change his mind on some things in his own life..and he's 37 now, how are you bringing something up from 5 years ago? I don't see any problem with him, but to me he seems more real than anyone and you can tell by how he uses real feeling behind what he raps. Let the man decide what he wants to without being judged by some raging troll.

October 13, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • AZ

this comment left by this person is really full of ****......

October 13, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  29. cheefsfury

LOL SEE ALL YOU BULLIED CRY BABYS JUST NEED TO START RAPPING AND YOU WILL GET OVER IT.

October 11, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • J JO

POOR POOR BABY .................WE FEEL SO BAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!!!!!!

October 12, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Camber York

For one, some people here should learn how to spell, just common sense. Second, he is successful, worked his way up and still has some sort of moral sense. Yeah, some of his music might be offensive and some things he says might not be right but he is only human, right? And if everyone in Hollywood is trying to get on the gay marriage bus then everyone should so there is no politics behind it, also he is talking about bullying, gay kids have it the worst in American high schools and maybe even if he doesn't believe in gay rights, he believes that bullying is wrong. I don't understand why people come on here and bash celebrities when that said person isn't even going to read it, Yes, I respect you for your opinion but to sit here and bash another person for speaking his mind about anything puts you in the same spot as every other opinionated jack ass.

October 13, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • anonymous@yahoo.com

Why don't you shut the heck up and bully yourself to death? You come off as a crybaby to me. I mean, how would you like it if I bullied you? I don't think you would like it.

Here's a piece of advice for you: Don't blame anybody for being a crybaby if you, yourself, are one. Otherwise, you'll be just as bad as the people who you hate.

July 11, 2011 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |