Nina Simone's daughter remakes song 'For Colored Girls'
October 10th, 2010

Nina Simone's daughter remakes song 'For Colored Girls'

The soundtrack for Tyler Perry's highly anticipated film, "For Colored Girls," will feature none other than the daughter of Nina Simone.

The legendary singer's daughter, who performs under the singular name Simone, has done a new recording of her mother’s classic song “Four Women” for Perry's forthcoming film.

Simone is the only child of the famed singer, and has herself starred in acclaimed Broadway musicals “Rent” and “Aida.” “Four Women” was written by Nina Simone, who died in 2003, and was originally released in 1966. It tells the story of four African American women.

“Mommy would be so proud that this song, which she wrote during a time of such racial dissension, would be included in a project of this caliber," Simone said in a statement. "It never ceases to amaze me how relevant my mother’s music still is today. I am overjoyed and bursting with pride to be one of the voices within this new version of ‘Four Women’ and continuing my mother’s legacy.”

Perry's film is based on the play “For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf” by poet and writer Ntozake Shange. The all-star cast includes Janet Jackson, Whoopi Goldberg and Thandie Newton.

Filed under: movies • Music

1. Texas Nan

For some it is never good enough, shallow minds complaine and talk about people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 26, 2011 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  2. Sarah Shears

This article is about a song and an amazing singer, but I am heart sick that some take it as an opportunity to make racist comments. Shame on you!

November 5, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  3. Faith Daay

there goes white people making it all about them again , just joking (no...no i am not)

October 19, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Nii Bannor

I just like simone kelly. From Ghana

October 11, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Wendy Thornton

I remember the original version sung many years ago by her mother. It is truly an incredible experience to enjoy such a poweful song anew in the context of such a potentially powerful movie. Ms. Simone you and your music continue to live through your daughter. What an awesome legacy!

October 11, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • LLeeLee

Wendy I just wanted to tip my hat to you. Despite the comments flying through the air that don't matter and won't change the world we live in you took it upon yourself to leave an intelligent, articulate comment about a lost art form (the artistry of vocal performance) and a true gem (Nina Simone). I heard you loud and clear! I look forward to viewing this movie and taking in its sound track. Both of whom I will discuss with my friends... a mixed bag of white, black, latino and asian. Enjoy folks!

October 28, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Who cares about that racial cr@p?

She looks very nice.

October 11, 2010 at 5:09 am | Report abuse |
  7. OMG! Duh!!

And another thing, BET does not bash white people, or any other race. It's a channel for black people, by black people. We make movies and tv shows too!!!!

October 10, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. s

i like that one

Online movies for free

October 10, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. D

omg you discusting racists

October 10, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Monique

You ladies are mistaken, though BET exist, it is a white owned just like 98% of the propaganda seen on TV. White Americans appear to be so oblivious to the fact that society caters to them.

October 10, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nisey

I agree Monique, tired of society making EVERYTHING a black/white thing when everything is actually white, who cares thats the problem with this ignorant thinking!!

October 11, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lisa Sorensen

GeoB – NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox – any many others are WET – primarily white content, characters and. So we had to make a station focused on entertainment for us and by us. Just like Spanish or any other ethnicity under-served by mainstream tv. You cant deny it.

October 10, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. GeoB

Well I'm just gonna have to write a song "For White Girls"...no wait....I'll start WET-White Entertainment Television! And white people have to be sensitive to everybody's feelings? BS

October 10, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

"I'll start WET-White Entertainment Television"

Just turn on your tv – it's on almost every channel. I'm sure BET is owned by a white CEO, as well.

October 10, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • OMG! Duh!!

Really??? WET??? Do you watch tv?if you did, you would know about 99% of the channels are based on white shows. Lol!! Idiot!

October 10, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • jacki3oh

GeoB, you are a moron LoL. People like you, whether black, white, or red & yellow polka-dotted, make me laugh. It is so extremely ridiculous for you to take one of the few things that is specifically catered to Black people, and MISconstrue it to be "bs." Grow up, accept that you are the majority (and thus treated as such), and stop being offended that 1 out of 1 million things just isn't for you. You don't like it, don't watch it. Don't worry, there are about 300 other channels that you don't have to worry about offending you.

October 10, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • eyeroll

newsflash:there already is "white entertainment television". it's every major channel that's not bet. enjoy it darling.

October 23, 2010 at 3:44 am | Report abuse |