'Shamy' is the cat's meow on 'Big Bang Theory'
October 8th, 2010

'Shamy' is the cat's meow on 'Big Bang Theory'

The casting of "Blossom's" Mayim Bialik as Sheldon's not-girlfriend Amy on "The Big Bang Theory" has been a stroke of genius. More than enough genius, in fact, to warrant an honorary membership in the Royal Canadian Institute for the Advancement of Science, if you ask me (and certainly worthy of an Emmy nomination for Bialik).

On Thursday night, "Shamy," as Penny calls them, had their first lover's tiff (though as Sheldon will continue to remind everyone, the relationship is purely intellectual) and very matter-of-factly broke it off. As Sheldon explained it, she was a girl who was his friend, and is no longer his friend. "Wow, it's like the worst country song ever," according to Penny.

This led to Sheldon suddenly becoming extremely interested in cats, all of whom he named after members of the Manhattan project, except for Zazzles: "He's so... zazzy!"

Obviously, that was the highlight of the episode, but a close second was the best game Sheldon has played since "Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock"... that being "Counterfactuals". When in doubt, the answer is "cheese danish" (obviously).

Thankfully, the breakup didn't last, because "Shamy" is just too much fun to watch. This was a great improvement over last week's Sheldon-bot episode (Steve Wozniak saved that one), and here's hoping we get more like this. It also wouldn't hurt for the characters who aren't Sheldon to have a real story arc this season. Just saying.

Do you agree that this was the best episode of the season so far? Excited for more "Shamy"? Would you be willing to give Zazzles and his friends a nice home, along with $20? Post your iReport video response or comment below.

1. Poetry

I was recommended this blog through my cousin. I am no longer certain whether or not this publish is written through him as no one else realize such distinct approximately my difficulty. You are incredible! Thanks!

August 25, 2012 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  2. Funny blog sayings

Buying a humorous kitty video clips maybe utilized as being a personal undertaking as well as leisure, but it's imperative that you enjoy you are sure by way of a amount of authorized requirements.tattoo fail

February 12, 2012 at 5:39 am | Report abuse |
  3. David

Any episode where Sheldon's Mom makes an appearance is a winner. I'm hoping for a storyline that will bring Sheldon's and Leonard's moms together!

May 29, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Robert

And Mayim Bialik can't act her way out of a paper bag. She is one of the most grating personalities to ever appear on a television screen. "Blossom" was an abomination...full of unlikeable, unsympathetic characters. I was enjoying her lengthy vacation from acting greatly. You can always see her trying so hard when she acts, that you can never really enjoy her performance. She is not of the caliber of Jim Parsons, acting-wise, and it shows.

October 22, 2010 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  5. Robert

I loved the first three seasons of Big Bang Theory. Got all three of them on dvd. I was praising the powers that be for a show such as Big Bang. A lot of talented people involved. Unfortunately, the writing thus far this season has not lived up to previous seasons. Also, I could be wrong, but the cast doesn't appear to be as in sync with each other as in previous seasons. Perhaps Kaley Cuoco's absence due to her broken leg forced quick rewrites to make up for the missing Penny character. As a result, the show has been much more Sheldon-centric lately. I agree with a previous commentator who stated that the previously sharp, incisive wit has been replaced with "big words." Before, it wasn't just that they were saying big words, they were actually putting forth theories and extrapolating from known information. The writing is going way downhill, I hate to say. I am sooo 'bummed out' about it too. It was by far my favorite show.

October 22, 2010 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  6. JANE

A female Sheldon (Amy) is not good. Amy is just mean and rude. Sheldon has that nieve charm but Amy is just a jerk. LOSE AMY please she is hurting the show!!!!!!!!!!!

October 19, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  7. UberWiseOne

What kind of intelligent female would wear menstrual products month-long so as not to be "caught by surprise" !?!?!
    A more likely thing is for her to take daily basal body temperatures and chart out her cycle so that she knows exactly when to expect it.
    I also doubt someone of her intelligence would be using disposable crappy products, let alone using them every day. In reality, her character would use a menstrual cup. And she'd chart. :)

I think the show is going downhill. :( It seems like the clever wit is fading and replaced with simply long vocabulary words = not the same appeal!

October 17, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Reignfyre

I was getting worried the show was going to jump the shark until the "Shamy" made its debut. Now I think they can keep this show going longer than Friends easily. The Shamy will have to marry (at least a year). Shamy will have 2 children...one very smart, one dumb as a rock. Shamy will become the bedrock of the show anchoring it while the other characters become satellites. Long live the Shamy!!!

October 15, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. laura

boo, mayim needs to go, ive also always pictured sheldon w/ a hot gf whose also as smart as he is but more down to earth. As a previous poster implied, a ying to his yang, not some old, frumpy female version of himself. Please kill her off or something, this was not a stroke of genius but of stupidity and desperation.

October 14, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. CY

Shamy is funny so far. I want it to stay.

October 14, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Penny Elaine

I have loved this show since day one, the characters are wonderful and over the top enough to walk succesfully that very thin line between funny and outright ridiculous, and nail it most of the time. However last week's episode was so dull and stupid i felt an urge to "unlike" The Big Bang Theory on my Facebook, and also realized there is such a thing as "too much Sheldon". So in my opinion, and like in many other outstanding ensambles on tv, these guys ONLY work wonders as a whole a.k.a. united they stand, divided they fall. P.S. Mayim Bialik is fantastic, let us hope they don't over use her too.

October 10, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  12. Christopher

Actually it was John Belushi who adamantly stated that women are not funny.

October 9, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dan

This is the only show that I watch faithfully. I think the casting of Mayim Bialik was perfect and I agree that she deserves an Emmy nomination. This could have been a risky move but I'm glad they took the chance.

October 9, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. sam

she's not funny and must go. Its bringing the show down.

October 9, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard

A long time ago, John Cleese from Monty Python said "women are not funny." While it's true for the most part, Penny is funny sometimes, but not as funny as the rest of them.

October 9, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Teri

All I can say is that I love this show. Keep the creativity flowing and keep it fresh.

October 9, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Sam

PLEEEEEASE CBS put it online/hulu somewhere so we with tv can watch it! My favorite show and I can not watch it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel so left out not being able to see what is going on this season, only reading. It helps, but not watching it really leaves me feeling stranded :( I love Sheldon and seeing only the 3-minute scene at the end of last season with her in it made me super excited for this season. But now, no tv.... love BBT!

October 9, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Juanita

If you're in Canada (and maybe elsewhere), you can view Big Bang epsisides on-line on CTV.

October 13, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  17. kevin

I love this show.... its the only thing on tv that actually makes me laugh.

October 9, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  18. Bryan

Big Bang is awesome and 'Shamy' needs to continue. With it I would love to see more 'Rosanne' alumni to appear on show.

October 9, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  19. Richard

I think Sheldon deserves a better-looking girlfriend/companion. After, the ones he and Raj picked-up a the mixer (and Sheldon could have bedded) were pretty hot. Richard Castle was right, "Ying needs Yang, not another Ying."

October 9, 2010 at 3:48 am | Report abuse |
  20. aughra

I was at Petsmart and the county animal adoption RV was in the parking lot–I thought of Sheldon and laughed at seeing it! On the practical side, I think they'd get a lot more adoptions if they did it the way Sheldon did. "Here's your cat...and here's twenty!"

October 8, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  21. thaddeus buttmunch

OMG! She's a bigger Nerd (ette) than HE is!! It's almost TOO much! She talks like Bebe Neuwerth on "Frazier" but doesnt look a whole lot like her

October 8, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Rock Paper Scissors

Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Spock was not invented by sheldon. A simple google search will show you it was invented in the mid ninties because of what sheldon said, "anecdotal evidense suggests people who know each other well will tie seventy percent of the time"

October 8, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Head Diva In Charge

I love that they gave Sheldon a "not girlfriend", they are so funny together. The casting was perfect, but I would love to see an extreme makeover episode. Not because I think she needs to be "hot" but because I want to see Sheldon's reaction! Bazinga!

October 8, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jaime- somewhat pronounced like Shamy.

Oh, Sister. You speak the truth. I think if Amy Farrah Fowler got dandied up, what would be more priceless than Sheldon's reaction would be HOWARD'S reaction. LOL!

October 8, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  24. SKIDD

don't like the shamy at hall need to get rid of her

October 8, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  25. b badger

I am really glad that CNN is covering the big bang theory. i LOVE this show.

October 8, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |