'Real Housewives of D.C.': That's it?
October 8th, 2010

'Real Housewives of D.C.': That's it?

Finally, Bravo's "Real Housewives of D.C." got to the good stuff: The White House state dinner crashed - or not - by the Salahis.

They'd been alluding to it the entire season, and the Salahis avoided talking about the whole situation, claiming the show was keeping them from speaking up. So, we should’ve heard it all with last night’s show right? Nope - that didn't happen.

They picked up with Michaele and Tareq in the limo calling Stacie to tell her about their invitation to the White House state dinner. Funny how Stacie asks how they got the invitation, and funnier still how Michaele didn't really answer. (That non-answering gets to be a way of life with her and her husband.)

As they arrive, they don't know where the limo is supposed to pull up. Wouldn't that kind of info be included in, say, an invitation? But I digress. I thought the good stuff was going to happen when they stopped to talk with someone holding a clipboard. Their names weren’t on the list, but they're sent on to the next check point.

And that's all we got. The show then cut to the day after, with the Salahis talking about how wonderful the dinner was. Tareq got a message about a gossip columnist saying they crashed the dinner, and they blew that off like someone (other than them) was making up stories.

Stacie and Jason read the Washington Post story about the incident, amazed at what the Salahis pulled off. Stacie was worried that since they know the Salahis, there will be guilty by association. Apparently she had reason to worry. Cat and her White House photographer husband had been invited to the White House holiday party, but after the crash they were uninvited because they were associated with the Salahis.

Some of the ladies had a viewing party for the Salahis' appearance in front of Congress. We know how that works... "on advice of counsel" we reserve the right blah blah blah. The ladies were apparently hoping for the Salahis to at least own up and apologize. Or for someone to be hauled away in handcuffs, so there was disappointment all around.

It still annoys me that they're claiming they were invited. All they had to do was produce an invitation. Not an email, not a story about personal relationships and phone calls, not the script with the 5th amendment on it. An invitation.

Later, the ladies gathered at Lynda's to discuss the situation. Stacie wanted to invite the Salahis over so they could all talk, but Mary and Lynda said they couldn’t be in the room with the Salahis. Stacie said Cat of all people should attend, since she suffered obvious backlash over the party crashing.

Cat and the Salahis all show. Cat couldn’t take the happy-go-lucky, nothing's wrong chit-chat and left. But before she did, she told the Salahis they're a disgrace to America and horrible people.

Stacie explained Cat's dis, and then Michaele started to leave, saying they couldn't talk about it. For months they'd been saying they couldn't talk because of the show, and then when they were on the show, they still didn’t talk! Stacie and Jason really tried to help them by explaining how people felt, but Tareq said they didn’t feel any shame about it, which is amazing to me. Wouldn't you at least feel bad because of the attention? Not to mention being hauled in front of Congress only to be insulted.

So the show's over for the season without an explanation from the Salahis, and no shocking footage showing what really happened. But on "Watch What Happens: Live," Andy Cohen, who is Bravo's senior vice-president of original programming and development, interviewed Michaele and Tareq. They were STILL saying they hadn't done anything wrong, and they think this episode vindicates them! These two are truly delusional. They said that since they used their real names and IDs, and the fact they were announced at the dinner means they didn't do anything wrong.

I like the fact Cohen said he didn't see any proof and asked what the Salahis saw, but they danced around the whole thing, saying they used their real names. Ahem, excuse me for the outburst, but: THEIR NAMES WEREN'T ON ANYONE'S LIST!

They showed clips from the reunion show and Michaele says no one lost their job because of what they did. Apparently she hasn’t heard of Desiree Rogers. I thought I'd be done with this show after the finale, but I'm going to have to watch the reunion show, just to see if they can catch Michaele in the truth for a change.

Does anyone else understand why the Salahis think the finale vindicated them? Because I sure don't.

Post by:
Filed under: television • TV recaps

1. pauline sotelo

Honestly,Why is this still an issue? Didn't you hear that the case has not been closed. Why did they plead the 5th? Why did they not produce the invitation? At the reunion, why didn't they answer any of the questions?The only reason thier not sitting in jail is because they were on BRAVO. If it were you or me, I have no doubt we would have been locked up and fined.They are the most shameful couple of grifters. And if we do not want to be shameful as well, the only thing we can do is not buy Mrs. Salahis' book of lies.

October 23, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. austina

Really? Why is this still an issue? If something was done illegally and they had trully "crashed" a White House party, they would have been arrested and/or detained for a period of time. Apparently an investigation was done and the Salahis were "vindicated" in the sense that they did nothing illegal. Let's get over it by understanding that the public will never know the entire truth behind that situation. My favorite characters before the last two episodes were Stacie and Cat. I'm still trying to figure out why Stacie and Jason felt it was their duty to ambush the Salahis' into a confrontation. That was just plain wrong. Cat did exactly what we all expected her to do...speak her mind and leave. She will be the reason I'll tune in for the next season.

October 9, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. susan walters

You are 100% right about everything. They were not on the list. They were not vindicated!

October 9, 2010 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  4. Tam

The way I see it, they pushed the limits and didn't get stopped until they got to the front of the stage. No different than trying to reach out and touch Elvis. Perhaps the White House should hire concert security. As for the hearing, pointless, the White House knows security was lacking. The whole thing is a big charade.

October 8, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. elsie

Does anyone else think that all of this was set up and filmed as part of the bravo program? Why was a film crew with this pair when they were pulling this stunt? It sure looks like a planned part of the show to me.

October 8, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. cheryl

This show is not about the Real Housewives of DC, it's about fake old azz women stayin home livin off their old azz husbands $.Find real house wives that slaves over a hot stove, takecare of the kids, and cleans the house without the help of a maid.

October 8, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Seriously

Who in the heck would want to watch that? Watching a boring chick who cooks and watches after her kids, cooking and cleaning. That's wack TV....NO THANKS. I do agree they need to change it up- but stay at home moms are SO 3 years ago. You can be a full time mom and have a fabulous life outside of the home. We need more housewives like the NYC crew- they make for good tv.

October 8, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. cynthia

did anyone catch that michaele said that she and her husband helped the relations between the US and India through their wine and polo associations....that is HILARIOUS...lol

October 8, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. DCclass

Honestly who is worse Tareq and Michaele for making it through the door or Jason and Stacie for ambushing a family and shaking it up? Nobody bothered to tell what really happened after Jason went after her birth mother's son on Facebook of all places. She got her answers finally by going through proper channels instead of the attempts with her birth mother. Ms. Cat and Charles were already on the outs so they can't blame the Salahis for that. Ms. Lynda, I hate to say it but Mr. Paul is right. As for Mary she stays in the background. I have to give Michaele and Tareq credit for keeping it classy and not being as contentious as the rest of the crew.

October 8, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Head Diva In Charge

I thought it was the best episode of the season. I really fell in love with Cat in all her rude glory! I also have a place in my heart for Mary – as I want to be her best friend! I think if they are going to do another DC season they need a power player, a real one. Someone bigger then these women to shake it up. Or maybe Bravo should use their pull & get them into better situations (party).

October 8, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. crash&burn

I want them arrested because these people really need a reality check...I've never seen two people who play down crazy so well///its so well dressed covered with fake tan and dressed semi well....BRAVO have to be bring these nuts back so Dr.Wong from L&O SVU can break them down....i mean really U were invited to the State Dinner via email and a 3rd party(middle man law office)...I get more direct formal invites to a toddler B-day party..really people/who are they fooling besides themselves

October 8, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lynne

Someone needs to buy the Salahi's a dictionary because they certainly do NOT know the definition of the word "Vindicate" if anything else, they look more and more quilty after last nights episode. I hope Bravo takes them off the show, they are a disgrace. I'm sure Bravo can find another housewife who will give some drama, but be living here on planet earth!!

October 8, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andagain

Why would they try to find another housewife? There's an alien one on every HWife series!

October 8, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. portalpunk

I'm so gay cuz I say Firsty.

October 8, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. SteveinDC

People call them ugly, but these chicks are hot, i've seen them around town and they are sweet!

P.S. Mean portalpunk smells like a fraud.

October 8, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. portalpunk

im so cool im so cool, im first cuz im the worst!

October 8, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • portalpunk

I'm a loser troll that thinks he's clever and funny by saying stupid things like "Firsty" cuz I'm cool. Actually, Firsty is so gay, just like me.

October 8, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |