The real tragedy at Seattle Grace on 'Grey's'
October 8th, 2010

The real tragedy at Seattle Grace on 'Grey's'

Cristina Yang is the woman I will never be. She’s outspoken and spunky. She loves to cut people open and relishes in their medical perils. She’s confident that she’s the best. She’s strong. Merciless. Unafraid.

At least, she was until this season.

It turns out that the most tragic death at Seattle Grace wasn't Charles or Reed (remember them?), it was Cristina’s spine.

As episode writer Mark Wilding wrote on the “Grey’s Anatomy” blog: “Cristina is nowhere near healed. At this point she might, in fact, be the biggest freak at Seattle Grace. Her PTSD is crippling. The question remains - will she ever come back from what happened?”

I’d like to know the answer to that as well. I don’t think “Grey’s” fans will appreciate seeing her as the hospital plumber as much as they appreciated her daily OR butt-kicking.

Yet there are some positive side benefits to her emotional turmoil. We got to see Derek and Cristina together in a story line, which was fantastic. And while I don’t see myself sharing a bed with my future-husband (please God let him look like Patrick Dempsey) and my best friend anytime soon, I laughed out loud at Derek’s description of Cristina and Meredith’s ET-like bond.

There’s also, you know, the rest of the cast. Here are just a few of my favorite tidbits from the night:

• April’s a virgin! But we knew that already, right?
  • Alex is terrified of taking the elevator after almost bleeding to death in one during the shooting. Thankfully, the Chief steps in and helps Alex overcome his fear by boring him to death… excuse the pun.
  • Callie and Arizona come home lit and stumble to their room while simultaneously stripping down and making out – in front of Cristina and Owen. This finally convinces Cristina that they need a new place. Surprisingly, Owen agrees.
  • Lexie finds out that Mark’s still in love with her. Mark finds out what Derek’s younger sister looks like naked.
  • Dr. Bailey screams at the sight of a spider crawling out of a wart-covered limb. Another strong, no-nonsense woman bites the dust.
  • "Grey's" fans learn they can turn into a human tree after contracting HPV.

What’d you think of the episode? Are you hoping Cristina gets her mojo back or are you liking seeing her softer side? Let me know in the comments below!

1. chris ludden

Its best medical television drama series on television. I like the cast, the story and the music of the show very much. There is a news that Grey’s Anatomy TV Show is renewing its season 8 very soon.

May 24, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  2. Grey DVD

Hi,nice post. Informations are very useful and saved me huge amount of time which I have spend on something else instead of searching :) Im waiting for more, bye :)

October 17, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  3. jjhawk

Christina's recovery will be the tie that binds her and Owen together forever. I love the show and hope it remains on air for a long time. Yes, I miss George and Izzie, and yes, I would love to see Mark and Lexie back together. But that's part of the show. Keep up the great work!

October 11, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. lefteyecancer

Time for new blood. New 1st years.

October 11, 2010 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  5. Rhonda

The Christina storyline is good b/c she went through hell. To come through performing surgery with a gun to her head unfased would be disengenous – after all, she is a human. The most brilliant & strongest women can simultaneously be vulnerable & at times knocked completely off their game. The interaction between Christina & Derek is cool. The only mistake will be is if the writer's of Grey's doesn't get her back to her butt-kicking self within a couple more episodes. April is a virgin (who cares?) & Lexi whines (what's new?) but a bonus is – Avery is HOT!

October 10, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Janiegirl

This season, and maybe last season too, Private Practice is better than Grey's.

October 10, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Abby

I love her. Please bring her back.

October 10, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. mejazzbo

This show jumped the shark a long time ago. I didn't realize anyone still watched it.

October 10, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Susie Ussery

I enjoy watching Grey's Anatomy each week. I got hooked on the show while watching reruns on Lifetime. Yes, I want the real Christina back, and I don't like the direction that the writers are taking this character. If she had been such a strong person, she would not have reacted this way. This story line would be more in line with Lexi's or April's characters.

October 10, 2010 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  10. Janis Moore

Put yourself in Christina's shoes....how would yo be after going through that harrowing ordeal? She's not spineless...she's human. For all the past seasons, we've seen a tightly controlled woman...now we see a fragile part of her that has been covered up all along. She does not like being vulnerable. She does not trust people easily. Now she has to put herself back together again and learn to trust those who work with her, to support her. She'll get her mojo back, but it won't happen overnight.

October 9, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. cheryl

I agree with cheefsfury. I. Didn't know it wuz still the air. Lastime I saw it Meridith's mom died.

October 8, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Lisa F

Please bring the real Yang back.

October 8, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. cheefsfury

SO I READ THIS ARTICLE AND I DIDNT READ ABOUT THE REAL TRAGEDY WHICH IS THAT THIS SHOW IS STILL ON THE AIR

October 8, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • portalpunk

real trolls are so gay, just like me!

October 8, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • CYork

October 10, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greys fan

Christina is my favorite character on Grey's; I love her kicking butt, and being so focused on surgery to the exclusion of just about anything else. But, I MISS GEORGE! The scenes between George and Christina were the absolte best! They were the comic relief, so BRING BACK O'MALLLEY and get Christina back to her 'unique' way of dealing with people. She was hilarous! I really like the Meredith and Christina relationship and more so, loved Lexie aned Mark together!

October 10, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Misstigerlilly

I have to say that I was never interested in this show, but after seeing back to back episodes on lifetime I got sucked in. Now I can't get enough of this show! I absolutely understand the concern in this article because if you watched the show on a regular basis you would fully understand christina's character. Since the new season has started she is out of sorts and has turned into a different character.. so yes we grey's anatomy lovers are pulling for the old christina to come back!

October 10, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. cyberpolice

Real trolls are not afraid to type out gay. Grow a spine.

October 8, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. portalpunk

he who cannot look for true meaning does not deserve to be enlightened,..... typical 5-O, shallow in the head

October 8, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |