Anderson Cooper: Saying 'That's so gay' is unacceptable
October 8th, 2010

Anderson Cooper: Saying 'That's so gay' is unacceptable

Anderson Cooper is speaking out about bullying and believes that Vince Vaughn's new movie is part of the problem.

In an appearance on the "Ellen DeGeneres Show" this week, the CNN anchor said he was upset to see the word "gay" played up for laughs in a trailer for Vaughn's upcoming comedy, "The Dilemma."

“I was sitting in a movie theater over the weekend and there was a preview of [Vince Vaughn's new] movie, and in it, the actor said, ‘That’s so gay,’" Cooper told DeGeneres of the trailer, which opens with Vaughn in a boardroom, declaring that electric cars are "gay."

"I was shocked...not only that they put it in the movie, but that they thought that it was okay to put that in a preview for the movie to get people to go and see it," said 43-year-old Cooper. "I just find those words, those terms - we’ve got to do something to make those words unacceptable ’cause those words are hurting kids.”

Cooper warned that such harmful words and terms often become internalized and can impact a child's self-esteem. “When you’re a kid, it can change the way you see yourself and the way you think about yourself - the worth that you give to yourself," he said. "I think we really need to focus on what language we’re using and how we’re treating these kids.”

1. car

Just wish to say your article is as astonishing. The clearness for your put up is just nice and i could assume you're knowledgeable in this subject. Well along with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with coming near near post. Thanks 1,000,000 and please continue the enjoyable work.

July 2, 2012 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Free Apk Applications

I'm extremely inspired together with your writing skills as smartly as with the structure for your blog. Is this a paid subject or did you customize it your self? Anyway stay up the nice high quality writing, it's uncommon to look a great weblog like this one today..

July 2, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. LA land

Oh PLLLEEEEZE!!! Gay people want to make a world where no one hurts their little feelings?!??!?! Well get over it – no one is exempt of hurt. Gay people aren't the only minority that kill themselves. Suicide is NO ONE"S fault but the person that does it and to place blame on others is dangerous and WRONG!!. People who resort to killing themselves have serious emotional problems and that exists in all segments of the population so stop blaming society or government for it. Yes, it's sad but it's an extreme solution for hurt and ALL people gay and straight black and white hurt but not everyone resorts to suicide. Suicide isn't anyones fault!! Anyone that is "different" is gonna be made fun of and no government is gonna fix it. Emotional problems are complex and the home life has more to do with it than anything else – that is where people should be focusing.

December 23, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. Mike

Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay,

November 1, 2010 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Amanda

The real tragedy is that there are people out there that think they should be able to tell you what to say and think.

November 1, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. tyson

i wonder if anderson has ever had a p e n i s in his mouth that he didn't like the taste of :-))

November 1, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Chris

This article is soooo gay. Anderson Copper is soooo gay. Gay. Gay. GAY!!!!

November 1, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. akadogfish

no kidding, brother. we all gotta grow up sometime. unfortunately, some of us never do.

October 18, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Can someone untie the knot in Cooper's underwear?

Why don't we just eliminate any and all words from the english language that might have the potential to offend the skinny/fat/old/gay/straight/black/white/short/tall/bald/hairy people in the world. This way no one will ever be offended again!! YIPPEE!!!

October 14, 2010 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. phorcy

Electric cars are gay.

October 14, 2010 at 3:10 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jim

How come CNN isn't reporting that GLAAD has criticized Cooper for going easy on Eminem about Eminem's use of "gay" while taking offense at the use of the term in the Vince Vaughn movie? The writers of the movie could rationalize their use of the word the same way Eminem did in his interview with Cooper. I think Eminem's use of the word is far worse than the use of the word in the movie.

October 13, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  12. 280Z

The children in any school district suffer deep humiliation by their peers. I truly know first hand because it is not only the children who do the bullying, but it is also the teachers who embarrass the students in front of the whole entire classroom leading up to so much pain they end up going home and not wanting to go back to school the very next day. The School Districts should have RULES for the teachers as well as the students to follow and clearly take full responsibility for inflicting so much pain to a child or young adult as far as bullying is concerned. If you have not lost a child, you do not even have a CLUE of what a parent endures after their child is gone FOREVER!

October 11, 2010 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
  13. robcapp

Way to go Anderson!

October 10, 2010 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jared

Anderson Cooper is just saying that because he's gay. He is a closeted gay man.

October 10, 2010 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  15. Rick

Bullying, interesting and a major problem but you should look at adult situations as well! Meaning like where I work our Vice President of our company is a bully. He bully's the managers and supervisors. Problem he wasn't a bully as a child or teenager or college student. His father-law who owns the company is a bully and is never around, ,maybe shows up at the company two or three times a year. Its a tradgedy watching a successful company fall apart from a bullying boss.

October 10, 2010 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  16. Fonz

Anderson is SO gay!

October 9, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  17. TooRelevant

CNN uses subtle ways to "bully" politicians that they dont favor. It is funny to see Anderson talk about bullying when it is so much a part of what he does all day. Kids watch CNN and they learn to bully others from watching CNN. Other big bullys: John Stewart, Bill Myre, David Letterman, Jay Leno – although more subtle, and many other people on CNN, MSNBC, and Fox. There are many bullies and it is rediculous for Anderson to talk about others being bullies. Thats how he makes his money. "Anderson is a Paid Bully".

October 9, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  18. WakeUp

No, the use of "teabaggers" isn't if it offends someone - that's the POINT.

October 9, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  19. danny

But the term teabaggers is ok? Hypocrite. No ratings. Sucks. Yeah, I know he "apologized" afterwards, but he said it.

October 9, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  20. dave

But using the term teabaggers is ok? Hypocrite. No ratings. Sucks.

October 9, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  21. WakeUp

The "n" word can no longer be used, and "r*tarded" cannot either - people know what's right and what's wrong, bottom line.
    And if this was your kin, trust me, you'd be a "Sensitive Sally' yourself over the issue.

October 9, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  22. jamesthedog

that whiny A.C. is so very gay, he says so himself.

October 9, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  23. JustMe

It was directed at an electric rail-car. Maybe the rail-car was HAPPY

October 9, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  24. Mtwodogs

The word Gay was hi-jacked anyway, it just use to mean happy. Apparently gay doesnt mean happy anymore.

October 9, 2010 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  25. ben dover

Through all this thin skinned drivel no one once mentioned the 1st amendment. Westboro Baptist Church offended a father mourning his son. A soldier that died in the line of duty. This was a joke, meant to offend and get a laugh. Does anbody remember George Carlin? He offended everyone. Jimmy "The Greek" he was fired because he spoke the truth but it offended a specific group. Rick Sanchez is the latest victim of this BS. I thought we leaved in America and could speak freely regardless of who its offends.

October 9, 2010 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Amanda

Wasn't it only in communist countries where "politically correct" came from? When I was growing up there was no such thing in this country. It is sad, soon you won't be able to write a book, movie, or anything else, historical or otherwise, because it might offend someone.

November 1, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  26. conqui

Of course, people have the right to say whatever they feel like (up to a point, anyway. One can't yell "Fire" in a crowded movie theatre when there isn't one). However, one expects a person exercising this right to be responsible and civil. Deliberately saying something that is hurtful to someone as a human being (different than saying something about the person's beliefs or actions) is neither civil nor responsible, and sooner or later there's a consequence for this kind of speaker.

October 9, 2010 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
    • mark c still

Right. Which did not happen in the scene from this movie.

November 1, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amanda

So you are saying that it is OK to say something against someone's beliefs and that won't hurt them; but if they say something about the person it is not OK? If I believe in something it hurts me to have you say things against it or to tell me that I can't do that because it isn't politically correct.

November 1, 2010 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Huh

Since when are news anchors speech police? Since when do news anchors determine what goes in the movies? And so we are to believe that what they report as news is untainted by their own personal opinions? How laughable.

October 8, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • conqui

If you bothered to actually read the article, you would notice he was being interviewed on a show that's not on his network. There's no reason he can't give his opinion on a topic when asked about it. And as a journalist with an education and the ability to think about things in a responsible and thoughtful manner, he understands that words and how a person says them has an impact upon others. Did he perhaps strike a raw nerve with some people who don't like to take responsibility for the impact of their words and argue they can think, say, and do whatever they like no matter how it affects anyone else, without being called on it?

October 9, 2010 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  28. Frances

I guess you never visited Toronto, some gay people could say in a positive context, "Oh, that so gay, come home with me, Darling! There are positive versions of some of these statements. I believe that children learn to bully by parents and society. I say teach parents and society to take care of children instead of leaving them at home while out on dates and/or at work, or having affairs at work... Prejudice people have been around for thousands of years. I think society had gotten better, for the exception of new technology, internet. People are still in an adolescent stage of life, when will humans ever grow up. God Bless us all alike. Toronto

October 8, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Get Over It

When did we become a nation of thin skinned crybabies?

October 8, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  30. SoOverBeingPoliticallyCorrect

C'mon people. I'm a gay fellow and I think it is HIGHlarious!!! Slang is fun and brings humor. Lighten up.

October 8, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Jam

Thats so gay is so 80s overused and dated and there are better expressions to use.PC only means to be polite.

October 8, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  32. erik

#1 in self-esteem? those kids lied! yes, there will always be bullys. yes, their parent(s) will be indifferent or not believe their child is capable of such behavior. we, as an ADULT society need 2 teach by example that that words can hurt & they're not ok. and before you post back to dig @ me, i'll beat u 2 it. yup, i'm gay. proud of it!

October 8, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  33. RecentlyOUT

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with the Cooper... The way people throw the word around as a derogatory term. It just gives off a reference that makes it sound like gay is wrong. I heard it used in that same reference growing up, and led me to think it was wrong for me to accept who I really was. ENOUGH WITH THE F'ING GAY BASHING!!

October 8, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Fed up

Really? We're worried about self-esteem? A recent study showed that in the world today, our high school graduates are ranking somewhere between 20-25 in math and science – however US teens are #1 in self-esteem/confidence. I REALLY don't think we need to worry about boosting confidence and we need to worry about kids learning in school. Learning what they're supposed to be.

October 8, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  35. P Steele

As a gay African American male, i had to endure even more harsh treatment from my family and friends going up. Everywhere I went, i had to endure being called the "n" word and the "f" word.I had to walk home everyday from school. One day i decided to wear a PRIDE shirt. That’s when a couple of guys up to no good started making trouble in my neighborhood I got in one little fight and my mom gotscared. I whistled for a cab and when it came near the license plate said fresh and it had a dice in the mirror if anything I can say that this cab was rare, but i thought naw forget it, yo home to Bellaire

October 8, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  36. joe

This story, as well as all of the comments....

....are gay. Everything is gay. You're gay, I'm gay, everybody is gay. If you are offended by this.....you're gay!

October 8, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  37. comment

@james m...words are just as powerful as anything physical because psychological and emotional damage can have a longer lasting effect on people.

October 8, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  38. comment

we're not being overly sensitive, and obviously we don't think bullying is something that's ever going to completely end. For those that say people need to toughen up because they've grown from bullying, not everyone is that fortunate...as is evident by all the stuff that's been going on. We can all tell kids that it does get easier once you get older, but we all know that, when you're a kid, growing up seems like forever away.

We're not saying that certain words or phrases should be banned, but that these terms shouldn't be perpetuated or encouraged.

October 8, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rowdy Dyer

People can, have and will say anything they want. However, when someone says, "that's so gay" with in my earshot, I have the right to tell them that phrase offends me. We all have the right to say anything we want, but the majority of us don't want to deal with consequences of our words. If you can dish it out, then you better be prepared to take it.

November 12, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  39. James M.

People whatever happened to sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never harm me??? This is what happens when society becomes overly sensitive to everything. They should pass a law where we all live in a bubble and then nothing or no one can hurt us!!!

October 8, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  40. mama bear

AC is talking about the impact on KIDS! ADULTS have better skills for dealing.

October 8, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Recardo

Anderson Bullies Republicans all day long. There is nothing wrong with that, except when you then pretend to be against bullying. What a double standard. Singling out a group of people in society and saying they should pay a higher share of the taxes is also bullying....Hitler did it to the Jews....He took it a few steps further than that, but who knows?

October 9, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Merin

My daughter tells me that keds will zero in on anything they can make fun of...and if they can't find something, they just call you 'gay'. I thought, what if a kid is actually gay? How does that feel? Pretty terrifying, I'd say.

October 8, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Lombardo

Bunch of PC beatnicks, I'm sure most of you outraged at using the word in that context could care less if you saw a guy with a mullet and someone called him 'redneck'

October 8, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Pen Name

AC should stick to reporting and keep his opinions to himself... he's quickly losing my respect. shame on cnn for reporting on their own reporters, poor taste really.

kids are brutal and always will be, its up to parents to teach their children a humility, empathy, and respect. i was bullied as a child and it made me a better person in the end... builds character (to a degree).

October 8, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Cyn

That's so gay.

Ooops – have to remove that sentence now. In case I upset the overly-sensitive. Whatever GLAAD. Whatever.

October 8, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Kareen

It's time some of you grow up and respect people the way they are.
    Anderson Cooper is a classy guy and a damn good reporter and that is what people should care about.

October 8, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  46. mama bear

Of course people are always going to be insensitive people out there but, that does not make it right for a family movie to help the bullies along.

Anderson Cooper is addressing what this does to the KIDS that are gay (and probably just coming to terms with the fact that they are different than most of their peers) and have to hear this phrase associated with things that are negative.

Take your own name and picture people saying, "That's so (INSERT YOUR OWN NAME)" everytime they talk about something disgusting or dirty or stupid or fill in any other negative thing you can think of. Now picture that you are still a KID without the coping skills of an adult... Why don't we throw the technology we have available to help the torturers spread their venom. Hear this day after day. How would that make you feel? Like killing yourself maybe? Why not, day after day you are getting the message that you are worthless.

Why can't we just shut our mouths and think before speaking?

October 8, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  47. portalpunk

I'm portalpunk. I think I'm cool. I'm not, but I thnk I am. I try to say witty, clever things that I think are funny but really, they're only funny to me because I'm a sad little troll. I have no life except the one in my mommies basement. I work part-time at BurgerKing but spend most of my time spewing this stuff on the blog because I'm a loser and can't get a real woman. No one likes me because I have a little tiny brain to go along with my llittle tiny weewee.

October 8, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  48. cathrin

I'm so tired od hearing about this and that!!! People get a life !! If you don't like it don't go to the movie .. I would love for everyones true feelings to come out. Speak ur mind !!! So I really would know who to trust .. I want freedom of speech this PC crap has to go !!!!!

October 8, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Sophie

I think that after his shocking way of calling the tea party folks TEABAGGERS in such a vile way, on air at least twice, maybe he should practice what he preaches. I used to like him a lot and think he has lost some of his dignity.

October 8, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Toby

Cooper is all about making money and getting ratings. He makes soo much money and yet he pretends to be "one of the little fellas" when he is really "one of the Rockafellas".

October 9, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  50. B--Dog

How about stay out of other people's business and live your own life??

October 8, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  51. deej

I do not know why we find it socially acceptable to make inappropriate comments toward the gay community. If a racial or ethnic slur is made it is a problem. As it should be. No group should have to be treated with disrespect. Treating a group of people or a person as a joke or with disrespect leads to people thinking it is okay to disrespect other human beings. There are lots of immature playground sayings that are wrong and add to a culture of disdain towards certain people. Neither is it necessary for the humor or the storyline, I am sure. It is just bad taste to say "That's so gay."

October 8, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  52. lhathorn1

How about people in this country grow some and not get offended over every little thing ? It's an immature, playground type expression and a comedian saying it.
    Kids aren't any meaner now than they ever were. This one kid I knew nearly had his ear pulled off on the school bus, and that was 35 years ago.
    People make fun of Southerners every day on TV and movies. Christians get attacked on an hourly basis in various ways. They just slough it off and live their lives.

October 8, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  53. portalpunk

I'm the real portalpunk. I'm just a sad little troll that thinks he's funny and clever. I still live with my mommy in the basement and self-abuse all day long. I've never had a real girl because I have a tiny little weewee. Please continue to feed my ego but really, I'm so scared that I pee my panites everyday.

October 8, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  54. comment

I understand that you can't make people say or not say certain things without "taking away" certain rights, but bullying has always been a problem. The difference now though is that, with the on going advancement of technology, it's so much easier for kids to bully others. Besides, let's face it. Kids these days are a lot meaner than they were. The main thing is that parents really need to know what their kids are doing and saying, and how it's affecting other people.

I'm sure there are those who would say, "my kids can do or say what they like" or "the kids who get bullied need to toughen up cause it's life." Put yourself in the shoes of the families who lost someone because those kids didn't think their life meant anything because the people they're around most (their peers) made their lives miserable day in and day out.

So, for those of you bagging on Andersoon Cooper, take it easy. His intentions are in the right place.

October 8, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Tom, Long Beach, California

grow some skin people.........if you live this way every day someone will offend you......f'ing pathetic

October 8, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  56. LoJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk3yTXFkyiY&w=640&h=390]

October 8, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  57. b badger

ALso want to point out that no one will watch this movie. It has Vince Vaughn. No one will care.

October 8, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • cyberpolice

Um, he was really good in dodgeball and wedding crashers.

October 8, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • b badger

dude, that was like five years ago... he has totally fallen off the dodgeball.

October 8, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Wordster

I agree with AC. It is so like unacceptable. I've found an amazing, NO, awesome way of expressing the same thing without hurting people's feelings. I've decided just to say, That's so AC. or That's so Cooper. or That's so Anderson. Gonna try them out and see which is most accepted by people.

October 8, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Chris

Gee. I can't imagine why Anderson Cooper would have a problem with people saying, 'that's so gay'.

October 8, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Pen Name

Im sorry, but electric cars are "so gay?" If I was gay, I would take that as a compliment – electric cars are the bees knees. Furthermore, I'm concerned about all of this talk about bullying and being PC, I'm American and I value my first amendment rights to say what I want, when I want to. Saying "thats so gay" is not hate speech, people need to learn how to take a joke! Sometimes I think Andersen just loves the sound of his own voice.

October 8, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  61. b badger

I saw the social network this weekend and also saw this trailer. I gasped in outraged and so did my partner. A few other movie patrons also seemed to have been offened. That’s when a couple of guys up to no good started making trouble in my neighborhood I got in one little fight and my mom got scared and said you moving with your aunty and uncle in Bellaire [sic]. I whistled for a cab and when it came near the license plate said fresh and it had a dice in the mirror if anything I can say that this cab was rare, but i thought naw forget it, yo home [sic] to Bellaire

October 8, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  62. Circe

I think all of you are ridiculous, and as for the preview, I'm really not that shoked. Today's society says much worse in almost every advertisment on tv, and you're worried about how the phrase "That's so gay" is going to effect people or childeren. Why single out Vince Vaughn's use of "That's so gay"
    Who cares. People are always going to be insensitive. Get over it.

October 8, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  63. sheppard

Gosh Jaime – you're protesting just a little too much.............. are you trying to tell us something? LOL

October 8, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Jaime

Just get tired of listening to asses get mad because people say "gay" WHO CARES! People can say what they want to, right? It wasn't directed at any certain person.
      Anderson is s Sensitive Sally.

October 8, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Raving Lunatic

Didn't Hilary Duff already do a commercial about this?

October 8, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  65. N

Yes! Thank you, Anderson Cooper! When I saw that trailer before The Social Network I was furious. And to make the "That's so gay" statement the opening line of the trailer, to hook people, just made me even madder. And especially with it the trailer airing right when there are all these teens committing suicide. It's just thoughtless.

October 8, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  66. Jaime

Anderson is mad because he got his feelings hurt because he is so gay. GET OVER IT! This is a free country where people can speak and say what they want! Boofrickinghoo.

October 8, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Geoffgio

Amen. If Obozo and his cronies can insult more than half of the country by insisting that heartlanders are inbred nitwits who "cling to their guns and religion" (while later affirming his own "faith," mind you), then every group is and shall remain fair game. Remember "All In The Family?" That show spared no one ... couldn't do that today, though. There's your "progressive" agenda ...

October 8, 2010 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Clare

you are a jerk and probably a bully and you've probably raised your kids to be bullies.
      I think using the term 'gay' just proves how stupid and ignorant people are because they can't think of any other word to use.

October 8, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • anna

Couldnt have put it better myself, thoroughly agree with you.
      I am also sick an tired of being told what you can and cant say get over it!!!

October 8, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • joe

Yes, but heartlanders ARE inbred nitwits who "cling to their guns and religion".

And Anderson Cooper is gay.

October 8, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  67. cheefsfury

THATS SO GAY

October 8, 2010 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Lily Daisy

I agree with Anderson about the inappropriate reference, but I also remember when the word "gay" was a wonderful term for happy feelings. My mother used it often in the 1950s era when it meant something lovely. When we moved to California in 1960, she was told not to use that word, that it meant something entirely different out here. And so, it was stricken from her vocabulary, as she didn't want to offend anyone. She realized that any word that denegrates another human being is wrong and that is still true today.

October 8, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • clair mcmillan

Im sorry Anderson, but weren't you the one that said the tea party was teabaggin? So, that's ok but this is out of line. Anderson, you're so gay!

October 8, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

I'm tired of being told what the American people can and cannot say. People need to stop taking things personally. It's just an expression and is not directed at anyone in particular.

October 9, 2010 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Rick J

Anderson....stop being so "politically correct". I am so tired of the GLAAD agenda. The word "gay" used to mean "happy" before it was hijacked to mean a specific lifestyle. The rainbow used to symbolize something beautiful after a rain storm, and now it's a symbol of a specific lifestyle......etc etc...blah blah blah.
      I'm just sick and tired of this being in my face 24/7. To the gay community....I can only say....."get a life and put some humour back in your life".
      The fact is, no matter how much "censorship" your community puts out there to remove "those" words, you can't change how people feel inside. The gay community cannot mandate how people really feel about things.
      I say, what you do in the bedroom is your business, don't make it mine. I want to deal someone as a person.....not as part of a certain group. So I say again....."get a life and chill out"

October 9, 2010 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Fonz

This blog is SO gay

October 9, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zeero

I agree that it's a problem but there isn't a one shot easy solution. As a side note I've been watching all this anti-bullying coverage on cnn for a few weeks now but I've yet to see anything about the other side of the extreme result of bullying (suicide) what about the kids that instead of killing themselves they take an gun or knife to school to deal with the bully's? This seems like something you should be talking about and omitting it weather out of ignorance or purpose doesn't help anyone.

October 9, 2010 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |