'Glee' tops Beatles Hot 100 record
October 7th, 2010

'Glee' tops Beatles Hot 100 record

It's official – they're bigger than the Beatles. The cast of "Glee" has surpassed the Fab Four's record as the music group with the most songs on Billboard's Hot 100 music chart.

As of today, the McKinley High gang – who have covered the Beatles's "Hello Goodbye" and, most recently, "I Want to Hold Your Hand" – will have 75 titles on the Billboard chart since they made their debut on the hit Fox series last year. The Beatles, by comparison, had 71 titles on the Hot 100 list between 1964 and 1996.

According to Billboard, the cast's cover of Britney Spears' "Toxic" takes its place on the chart as the Hot 100's highest debut (No. 16), selling 109,000 downloads in its first week.

The "Glee" kids aren't the Hot 100's biggest record-holders, however. That honor goes to solo act Elvis Presley, who had 108 charted titles. Long live the King!

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • Music • television • The Beatles

1. Patrick Richardson

It's also official that whoever wrote this article must have had nothing else to write about. The relevancy and actuality are far removed from reality.Glee music is about as close to Beatle music as the earth is to the far side of the universe.

May 6, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Les

Lots of people have been identified as being bigger than the Beatles: the Stones, the Beegees and Glee included. When one of these groups makes headlines forty years after they cease to exist, maybe I'll believe it. Till then, they're all just pretenders to the throne.

November 16, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  3. Stilson Greene

When these bunch of Gleesters sell over a billion records, then you'll have something to write about.

October 8, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  4. portalpunk

I'm the real portalpunk. I think I'm clever and funny but really, I'm just a sad, self-abusing little troll that still lives in my mommies basement. I also have a tiny little weewee.

October 8, 2010 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  5. B-Dog

The author is a moron.... Glee isn't even close to being bigger than the Beatles. The Beatles did it with ORIGINAL music, without the internet, without TV like it is today, and with raw talent and emotion. The cast of Glee sings COVER SONGS on a top rated show, plus if you want the songs you can get them on Itunes at the touch of a button. I've heard some of the cover songs they do because my sister is a "gleek", and while the singers are talented, the versions they do kinda blow! I heard this version of the Glee cast doing a cover of Queen's 'Somebody to love' and I wanted to vomit.

October 7, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Fan

Its an hour escape from reality. Its a TV show. If you dont like it, dont watch it. I personaly enjoy the show, regardless of who sings what, who has voice overs, what songs are sung. Its an hour to escape from all of the negagive and violence on TV.

October 7, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cass

Now that we are measuring in downloads, how can you compare present to the past? I love Glee but don't think this has much merit.

October 7, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Allison

Hey everyone whining about this, how about you actually read the article? CNN isn't claiming that the cast of Glee are better musicians than the Beatles, they're stating the fact that they have surpassed the Beatles in number of charting singles. This is about statistics, not talent.

October 7, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Allison

No, it's about dummies like you listening and buying this garbage and calling it music. It's the dummies like you that cause the statistics to inflate. Suck on that!

October 7, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

Allison...I completely agree! The people commenting on this page are taking the article waaay out of context. FACT vs OPINION. You may not like Glee and you may think the kids have no talent...OPINION. But the numbers speak for themselves...FACT. I love Glee, it's one of the best hours of escapism on TV...MY OPINION!!

October 7, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Holly Golightly

I love Glee, but I love Elvis more!!!!! Viva Presley!!!! :)

October 7, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. boocat

And how many members of the cast wrote their own songs? This is a stupid headline if I ever saw one. Get real CNN!

October 7, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Rob

Purely a function of technological access and media distribution than any comparison in talent. And last time I checked, these nimwits on Glee wrote how many of their songs? ZERO!!! Comparing Glee to the Beatles talent wise is like saying my kitchen faucet on full open is equivalent to Niagara Falls. What a waste of print space.

October 7, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Henry

Total BS... covering songs that were hits...sure what a feat...

October 7, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. portalpunk

I'm still a useless troll with nothing better to do than attempt to sound intelligent on these boards. I'm not. I'm just a self-abusing little child that still lives with my mommy and hids in the basement to avoid real people, especially girls.

October 7, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Megan

It's official, we value Autotune more than actual talent.

October 7, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  15. Rastas

It's official. Pigs can fly and hell has frozen over.

October 7, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  16. Treva

i adore glee. it is noce to see a tv show with no blood involved. they have beautiful voices and showcase them well. i thought the baby drama was a little over the top (would you be friends with the woman who told you that the baby was your even though she slept with your best friend?), but am glad they moved on from that.

October 7, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |