Christina Ricci: 'Oprah saved me'
October 7th, 2010

Christina Ricci: 'Oprah saved me'

There's no question that Oprah Winfrey has helped millions of people since her talk show premiered 25 years ago, but actress Christina Ricci says she wouldn't be here today if it weren't for the TV titan.

"I've always been addicted to 'Oprah.' She's all about bettering your life," the former "Addams Family" star explains in the latest issue of Time Out New York.

In fact, 29-year-old Ricci says, "Oprah saved me when I was six, by the way. I had a really bad head injury, and my mother let me go to sleep."

Thankfully, another family member was also a Winfrey fan. "My sister had been watching an 'Oprah' show about childhood head injuries just that afternoon, and she was like, 'Wake her up!' I was in the hospital for, like, nine hours, and they said, 'Thank God you woke her up when you did.'"

Not surprisingly, Ricci, who is currently making her Broadway debut in "Time Stands Still," was devastated when Winfrey, 56, announced that she was ending her talk show.

"I cried when Dolly Parton sang 'I Will Always Love You' on that episode [this past May]," she admits. "But then I realized that Oprah’s going to have her own show on her own network!"

1. marquee.blogs.cnn.com

Christina ricci oprah saved me.. Not so bad :)

April 21, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Layla

Glad she saved you. Seems she really goes out of her way to save the wealthy, or those that benefit her show. I contacted her (and a few of the other wealthies) a few years ago begging for assistance to get my mother in to M.D. Anderson for cancer treatments, repeatedly. Her Tarceva alone was costing $2,800 per month (for a 30 day supply), not to mention her other meds, etc., etc....thanks to Mr. Bush.

I offered to provide proof, and I offered to repay her.....she turned a deaf ear. It seems uncless it is somethingt o benefit her show, she ignores you.

Let me tell you, while we are all talking crap.....unless we do something with "medical" needs in this country. All it takes is to have a catastropic illness in your family, in your lifetime. No matter the savings account, it could possibly wipe you out. You will lose all your savings, your house, your sole.

Oh, by the way, don't count on all those wonderful donations you give for cancer, cancer research, etc., etc.....they will ignore you or claim you make to much for assistance.

My mother eventaully died, and I do not care that I am broke from escalated medical and drug costs. I lost the greatest, most wonderful person I will ever know. My heart shall forever be broken. But, I will no longer give to charities since the people who need the benefits won't get it anyways. Oprah, and others like her, including Bill Gates are pathetic. They care about what benefits them, and they have enough money such that if they loaned a few dollars they would never hurt. I've always repaid the people I've owed, but these elites would not give me (small people) the time of day!

October 10, 2010 at 4:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. Denise

Oh my gosh! I haven't seen pictures of Christina Ricci in years- You are so pretty!

October 9, 2010 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. joe

She's nutty, but I'd bone her.

October 8, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. portalpunk

I'm the real portalpunk. I'm just a sad little troll that thinks he's funny and clever. I still live with my mommy in the basement and self-abuse all day long. I've never had a real girl because I have a tiny little weewee. Please continue to feed my ego but really, I'm so scared that I pee my panites everyday.

October 8, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. J.

Oprah saved my life too. Oh wait, no she didn't. She's nothing but a fat hypocritical blowhard.

October 8, 2010 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  7. T

that was the lamest "story" i have ever read.

October 8, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  8. portalpunk

I'm the real portalpunk. I think I'm clever and funny but really, I'm just a sad, self-abusing little troll that still lives in my mommies basement. I also have a tiny little weewee.

October 8, 2010 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  9. JWilder

My favorite actress....way underrated.

October 8, 2010 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  10. Wednesday Addams

Be afraid....be very afraid.

October 7, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. livingMYlife

YAWN.......you people put soooo much on celebrity....sad.....

October 7, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • CNN moderator

these are the entertainment forums. News is ---------–<------------------------

October 7, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

HaHA! You tell him CNNmoderator. I find it perplexing that people take the time to comment on articles they find "boring".

October 7, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • cyberpolice

@livingMYlife
      You know whats even sadder? People who think they are so awesome because they have better things to do, then go into an ENTERTAINMENT section of a news channel to make fun of people who post there. Some life you live.

October 7, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Head Diva In Charge

Christina – that is one strange story. Still love ya though.

October 7, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • soozeeque

Wacky story for sure. Watched O while sleeping? If anyone gets this, please explain!

October 11, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jen

soozeeque,
      She is saying that her sister had watched an episode of Oprah that afternoon in which it was explained to not let victims of head injuries go to sleep (or sleep past a certain amount of time). So Christina was woken up by her family because her sister had seen to do this on Oprah.

October 12, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. dave

May I make a suggestion? Therapy sessions. Perhaps go to a university and get the psychology dept. to do a study on you. You're at least a book for some psychologist.

October 7, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Gonesouth63

And your comments are referencing this article how ? ?

October 7, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  15. portalpunk

Nothing, I'm just a troll that makes no sense.

October 8, 2010 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  16. Tech Chick

funny

October 8, 2010 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
  17. Frank

Yeah, she has eating disorder and self-esteem issues. I love her, though. One of my fave actresses since the '90s.

October 9, 2010 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |