Behind the Scenes on 'Showbiz Tonight': Is a 'Teen Mom' accountable?
October 7th, 2010

Behind the Scenes on 'Showbiz Tonight': Is a 'Teen Mom' accountable?

There's a lot of debate today over MTV’s “Teen Mom” docu-drama star, Amber Portwood, who beat her on-again, off-again boyfriend on the last episode of the show. Portwood has since apologized and says she’s seeking help for her anger issues, but the debate rages on.

"Showbiz Tonight" producer Sid Lipsey is outraged that there hasn’t been any charges brought against Amber and that she’s not in jail – after all, she was filmed abusing her partner. But "Showbiz Tonight’s" own Brooke Anderson points out that, while she isn’t excusing that kind of violence, the show is doing its job – and showing the realities of being a teen mom. Today, "Showbiz Tonight" is asking: Should Amber be held accountable for her violence?

Also on our radar tonight: Jenny McCarthy criticizes Demi Moore and how she’s handling reports that Ashton Kutcher is being unfaithful. What do you think - are Demi and Ashton handling the infidelity reports the right way?

Watch "Showbiz Tonight" live at 5 p.m. today. And remember, we’re still TV’s most provocative entertainment news show seven days a week at 11 p.m. ET/PT!

Watch Showbiz Tonight Weekdays Exclusively at 11PM ET on HLN.

1. DC VA Emergency Board up

Fantastic web site. A lot of helpful info here. I am sending it to some buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious. And naturally, thanks on your sweat!

June 26, 2012 at 4:33 am | Report abuse |
  2. Dani

sayaさん アナタはなんてことを ( ω )ブワッ え the balmのブラッシャー ハイライター ブロンザーずぅうっと気になってて何回もポチる寸前までいったんですけど いかにも外人的な"OMG!i totally love this! it's hhgily pigmented...BLAH BLAH BLAH" 馬鹿にしすぎ みたいなレビューが多いと ちょっと待てよ 本当に なんにでもhighly pigmentedって言いすぎじゃね なーんて思って見送ること過去数万回 この記事見て欲しさがマックスに到達してしまいました the balmはパケもめちゃくちゃツボです アイシャドウのif you're rich, i'm single"とかのネーミングも好きです あああ(* Д )SALE探してみます amazon.com/ebay/公式で普通に買うとこでした アブねー もう買う気満々

March 17, 2012 at 3:26 am | Report abuse |
  3. Shannon

The show is doing its job by "showing the realities of being a teen mom"? Are you serious? I don't see the other girls who have boyfriends slapping them around. Are we to assume that since a teen is stressed out over being a mom that it's acceptable to punch, kick, choke and slap the child's father? I'm amazed it took so long for the police to do something.

It is a huge double standard. If Gary would have laid her out he would have been put under the jail just because he hit a woman. Gary should be commended for his restraint in not punching her square in the mouth when she laid into him.

November 19, 2010 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  4. Denise

The young lady appears to be in serious need of help. Her daughter should not remain in her care until she gets it. It's not a healthy environment for a child. To be honest, it seems like Amber would welcome the "break" of not having to care for her own child. She barely flinched when Gary took off with her except to posture for the cameras and put on a show.

October 27, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Goodluckfindinghelp

Our son, now 24 was verbally and physically abused by a girl. He fathered a child with her and regrets even knowing her as the worst mistake of his life. Not only was she verbally abusive to him, she began to be verbally abusive to his family(us). When ever I tried to convey that our son wasn't ready to be a father, she would get extremely upset and go off on our son about my interferance. I was only trying to bridge a gap between them and help her see that if she chose to keep this baby she would be a single mother. She never once considered our sons feelings of not being ready or wanting to be a father or spend his life with this abusive, vile, controlling woman. She wanted our son to marry her and be a model father. He just wasn't ready. So she bullied him and tried to hold the child over our heads, so to speak, in order to get what she wanted. When stunts like that failed, we caught the brunt of her wrath, verbally. We tried to get lawyers, child protective services and anyone else to listen. No one believed it! or told us point blank that we had no case and it would always go her way. I suppose since it's not the normal situation for a girl to be abusing a guy. We all believe that this abusive behavior will carry over to the child as some point and time , if no other way but through her distaste of our son and us. We had to, for preservation of our santiy cut ties with her and thus we don't see our grandson at all and neither does our son. She is that difficult to deal with and the courts told us that we have no rights anyway. If she says NO one day that we can't see him then that's the way it is. Then if she says yes and is 2 hours late dropping him off to us or picking him up....OH well!! The ball was always in her court and she knew it. It became a nightmare and we chose to perserve our sanity by walking away. Our son tries to pay child support but is working on his education in order to better himself to which she laughs and reprimands him for. She never works and the courts seemed to think that was ok. If only this girls behavior had been caught on tape! It is child abuse to dangle a childs presence in all of our lives over our heads unless we do things her way and it is abuse when she would yell and scream and threaten to kill our son in his sleep unless she got what she wanted, but there were no cameras in their home and thus no proof. Only what we heard on the other end of the phone when our son called us late at night during her tantrams. I would wish this nightmare on noone and I hope this girl on Teen Mothers gets the help she needs and I hope the father gets to have custody of that precious baby until her mommy is well!!! It's so heartbreaking and I know becasue we lived it!

October 24, 2010 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. OC

Amber is a nasty nasty nasty girl. She needs serious help. Every time I watch that show she sickens me. As a mother myself I can't stand to see what kind of mother she is. She is always laying around in the same spots. Which is the bed or couch and that poor little girl looks lost and gets no attention or nurturing from her mother. She obviously abuses Gary emotionally and physically and I do believe that she will one day do the same to that little girl. Anyone who can act that way and show their true colors knowing that the whole world will see them is obviously a bit off! How dare she be-littles Gary and his weight. She forgot at one point she herself wasn't so slim! Everyone keeps giving her credit on all this weight she has lost but let's look at the bigger picture here. Amber is an unfit mom, she is abusive, she is crazy, and lazy! I don't care how skinny she is now she will always be an ugly person to me inside and out for the way she represents herself. I honestly hope C.P.S does step in and take that child away from her. If there is no action taken against her it is just showing other parents that this behavior is allowed. She is destroying her little girl. To grow up in that environment will create future problems. You can tell already with all the children on Teen Mom Amber and Gary's little girl is nervous, whiny, and always crying. All signs of problems within the home. Well everyone can congratulate Amber on her weight loss but soon she will be loosing more than that. Her own child!

October 9, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. lily123

I wish I knew where to post something that would REALLY ATTRACT THE ATTENTION THAT THIS SITUATION DESERVES. Supposedly Chld Protective Services is investigating this case with Amber, Gary, and Leah. I would hope that just from the little bit of MTV video that it shoud be clear that LEAH fears being with her mother and cries broken heartedly when she sees that Gary has left her there alone with Amber. I would beg of Amber to please remove herself from Leah's life until Amber has gotten her life and her priorities straight. Please grow up! Yes, you lost some weight and you look great. But you act UGLY! And soon that is all that anyone will see....ugly on the inside and ugly on the outside. Stop bullying Gary ....just because you can. You know that he loves you and you think you are so cute that you can date around and then when you want him, then you can call him back. Well, maybe he is a little heavy and maybe he doesn't have a job. But hey, let's see....now didn't he agree to stay home and keep Leah while you had that job.... oh that really hard job as a receptionist at the beauty salon. And I do remember you saying on the show that Gary kept Lean durnig the day for like ...six months. She seems very attached to him and she doesn't act alll wild and spoiled when he is around, She acts like a well-behaved little girl, but one that wants to stay close to her dad because she looks like she is always afraid that she will get left at the apt with you. And we, the whold world, have seen how 'loving' you are with her. I have never seen you get down on the floor and play with her. If you spend ANY time with her you have to invite one of your friends (who just want to be seen on TV) along and you talk with them....instead of playing with Leah. If you are home alone with Leah then you STUFF her in her baby bed, without bed sheets (yes, we can see that on TV) and go lie on your bed and SCREAM at Leah to "SHUT UP". Aren't these just the most precious memories for a small child. And, don't think that Leah isn't aware of all that is going on. She is young but she can hear all the the nasty things you say and do. I would say "shame on you Amber" but I doubt you continued to read once you realized that I'm not going to say anything nice about you. You need help. More than just some couple counseling. How can you say you didn't know how bad and out of hand that you were,....until you saw it back on video? What? You did this same thing last year, at your dad's house. You probably have done it a whole lot more and we just haven't seen it. I know I hear you put Gary down and he doesn't do that to you. Oh yeah, I heard you on the show, talking with your firend or your cousing, trying to say things like "Gary calls me a wh*re and I can't take it." and all those things like that, it was obvious you realized how bad you looked on camera and now you are out trying to do "damage control". We are pretty pathetic, for after all we are watching this show.... but you are more than just a disaster waiting to happen. You are committing a crime and if in either of these 2 times that you have hit Gary, if it had been Gary that had hit you – then he would be in jail.

October 9, 2010 at 4:14 am | Report abuse |
  8. portalpunk

I'm the real portalpunk. I'm just a sad little troll that thinks he's funny and clever. I still live with my mommy in the basement and self-abuse all day long. I've never had a real girl because I have a tiny little weewee. Please continue to feed my ego but really, I'm so scared that I pee my panites everyday.

October 8, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. B-Dog

ATTENTION ALL MEN: **THIS** is why you put a rubber on, every time, NO MATTER WHAT. Do not believe "Oh I'm on the pill... I'm allergic to latex.... I can't get pregnant..... You can just pull out..." Then after you are done make sure you either FLUSH IT untied, or carry a small pack of Tabasco sauce with you, pour it in there, and then tie it up and trash it.

***YOU DO NOT WANT TO GET STUCK WITH A CRAZY ABUSIVE B**** LIKE THIS!!! ***

October 8, 2010 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
    • john

Amber would not have hit me like that. She would have seen what snap meant. She would be repelled with so much force that she would never try anything like that again. Deterence stops attacks. I am a man and I have no problem hitting a woman who attacks me. I will do whatever is reasonable at the time. Hopefully, her attack doesn't catch me off guard and her attack causes me to snap. I would need help stopping my attack. A snap is a psychologically break; it can be very dangerous.

October 21, 2010 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tristina

I dont think that MTV understands the trainwreck that is Amber is in no way helping teen girls. She is shown on a date kissing a convicted child molester. I would hope MTV does not use her in season 3 which is being filmed now.This woman (she is 20 and not a child nor a teen) needs to be held accountable for all her actions. The state should really evaluate this womans parenting skills. She has shown her abusive side over and over again. If she is capable of hurting Gary with the cameras on imagine what she does when the cameras are off. That poor baby will never have a chance.

October 8, 2010 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
    • 25-YearOldMom

Completely agree. The problem isn't she's a teen, the problem is in her rational and decision making. She became a mom but in a way she reproduced. She never connected her actions with her child. A mother does not make a scene infront of their daughter, a mother does not go bring any dick and harry home, a mother would run if she was found out her guy was on work release (and she didn't even ask why...which puzzles me). She doesn't click as a mother. It's sad, because a lot of women are like this...they put themselves before their child. Little Leah needs a mommy and if her daddy can't be around then so be it but give her the chance to grow up in a peaceful environment. Chaos raises chaos.

October 8, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Can you imagine....

I can't watch 'teen mom' and I can't watch 'I didn't know I was pregnant' Both shows get me too worked up and how freakin stupid people are.

October 8, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jaz

If she will hit a 300 pound man, then what's keeping her from hitting a 25 pound child when she acts up. Have you ever noticed that everytime Leah is with Amber she is put in her crib to scream herself to sleep, while Amber goes to her bedroom and closes the door? She is not a parent at all, she is just an immature, idiotic, unintelligent child. There is obviously a problem and MTV needs to cut her from the show. She is a sorry excuse for a teen mother. CPS needs to take that child away or give Gary full custody.

October 7, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mike

I'm with Dragonlady about him being put in jail if he was a man. My question is why does MTV blackout the scene when Snookie got punched but they thought it was fine to show Amber punching him several times. I think the baby should be taken away just because of the language she uses in front of her daughter until she gets help. I don't think Gary should be given custody because we all see how much he wants to be with Amber ( I don't know why ) and will tell child services anything Amber tells him to say to them.

October 7, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Stephanie

I love watching Teen Mom and I honestly think Amber needs some serious help and a little Jail time wouldn't hurt her. I think she is lazy and Gary is always taking on the jobs with Leah anyways. The best thing he ever did for that baby was removing her from Amber's care. If she blows up on him like that who's to say she won't do the same with Leah everyone who watches the show has witnessed her screaming at the baby while in the car seat or doing something that requires Amber to work in any way. Amber clearly doesn't have the ability to care for Leah considering every time she is in Ambers care she is stuck screaming in a crib while Amber lays around on her butt all day. Someone should have stepped in because if Amber had been a man she would have been hauled away without question. I think her and Farrah both could use some serious parenting classes considering Farrah is constantly leaving her daughter unattended which has resulted in her falling off the bed and also getting her hand burned. I know MTv has rules about stepping in but there is a point where you must cross that line to protect another person or child.

October 7, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. megan kalu

Although I do not condone violence of any kind, I don't believe the mother should be charged. She is a teen mom and it's easy for our "male" counterparts to be quick to condemn, but you have to be a teen mom to know the state of mind you're in at that age, basically you're still growing mentally and physically, and this mom will be looking back at this video when she's in her 50s and she'll be appalled, but for now she doesn't realize the impact of her behaviour. I am in my 50s and I grew up in a European family which getting "smacked" in the head or beat with a belt was very commonplace in our home both for myself and my siblings. The middle sibling got the worst of our dad's venomous temper, but this was the 50s and 60s when striking your wife and children was very acceptable I hate to say. Now, I was a teen mom at 17 and I went to school and worked and my oldest son who is now in his mid 30s remembers the times I lost my temper. Now did this come from my upbringing? I don't think so. I have to in good faith put the blame on myself. The stresses of being young and undeveloped mentally was my problem. I didn't know how to cope at being a mother at such a young age, with the baby's father leaving me because he wasn't ready to be a father, my parents kicking me out of their home because I disgraced them. I lost all my g/friends because now I was responsible for someone else, so there was no "out with the girls" anymore... well, i could go on and on. It was truly a difficult time for me and I thank the grace of God that I met a wonderful man in my mid-20s who accepted my son as his own. But not every story has a happy ending and I would only ask people not to be so quick to condemn these teen moms. Their world is turned upside down and it takes sympathetic persons to come to their aid.

October 7, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • love my soldier

Are you kidding me? She needs to go to jail and CPS needs to intervene. I was a teen mother and I would never do that, especially in front of my daughter. Being a teen mom is not an excuse, she needs to face the consequences.

October 7, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • boo hoo

We should go easy on her because she had unprotected s*x?? Last time I checked you didn't get rewarded for being a stupid idiot.

October 8, 2010 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
    • sweet48

I think you were hit one time too many, she should go to jail. If he had hit her, he would go... what's the hold up?

October 8, 2010 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
    • qwerty

And you're assuming that a teen dad WOULDN'T be going through the same things? So it would be okay for a teen father to smack around his girlfriend because he wasn't "developed" and "didn't understand what he was doing"?

October 11, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Your wrong

You are soo soo soo wrong. I saw just one episode of that show and she is a disgusting mother who doesnt even deserve her child. Her boyfriend can do better. She needs to be held accountable. I know several older people in their 40's and 50's who still dont "get it". It is because of your upbringing by the way. Just because you take responsibility for losing your temper doesnt mean there are not people who actually control their tempers because they actually had decent parents and set an example for their children by acting like an adult. I also think the line about women maturing before men is a line of crap because every woman i know is too emotional most of the time to make rational desicions anyway.

November 18, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Big Daddy

DO the crime... Do the time

November 18, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Big Daddy

Reality T.V. has once again ruined another life... or 3
      It happens in each of our lives, "episodes" of "violence". Im sure i could have been arrested for removing myself from a room without regard for whos in front of me, or push off of someone thats grabbing, or holding you when you dont want it. I would want help for her, not jail time. Jail time is reserved for the worst criminals. Finding the right channels to get this lady help. Noone died, noone was hurt... im a 350lbs guy i know it hurts him more egotistically then physical.
      Why Do women think its automatically that when "we" break up, the child stays with the mother.
      TIMES ARE A CHANGIN.

November 18, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Dragonladey

If she was a man she would be in jail. Double standards....

October 7, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • jean

Well, yeah. I guess that can be one reason why somehow, they are "going easy" on her in the sense that they didn't immediately put her in jail or something. And, teenager or not (and at 20 I don't really consider her as a teenager anymore), we should learn to face the consequences of our actions. I know some teen moms and what happened to them made them more mature instead. So, being a teenage mom is absolutely not an excuse for such behavior. I just hope that she'll realize soon that she has to "grow up" for the sake of herself and her baby.

October 8, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  16. portalpunk

if you are awsome and got here before the others then you are........ firsty!

October 7, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • portalpunk

I'm the real portalpunk. I think I'm clever and funny but really, I'm just a sad, self-abusing little troll that still lives in my mommies basement. I also have a tiny little weewee.

October 8, 2010 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |