Masi Oka: From 'Hero' to 'Five-O'
October 6th, 2010

Masi Oka: From 'Hero' to 'Five-O'

If you thought Masi Oka was resting on his laurels following the cancellation of "Heroes," think again.

Oka, who received an Emmy nomination for his role as Hiro on the NBC series, returns to television October 18 on the new "Hawaii Five-O." He'll play Dr. Max Bergman, a childhood piano prodigy who now serves as the Honolulu County Medical Examiner.

It turns out that the actor avoided watching episodes of the original series, as he "didn't want to re-enact what worked decades ago," Oka told reporters during a conference call.

As for playing a medical examiner, Oka admitted that he got out a few of his college organic chemistry textbooks to see what he could learn, but soon remembered that the class wasn't his favorite.

Oka described his character on "Five-O" as a socially awkward genius who would prefer to be in the morgue or playing the piano rather than be outside. He keeps a piano where he works, so don't be surprised if he needs to "tickle the ivories" to help himself get his point across.

Playing a medical examiner does make him a bit queasy, Oka admitted, but the hardest part is putting on the rubber gloves. "Acting schools need to teach the art of putting them on," he said. But other than that, the actor has had fun working with the cast; he's already filmed two episodes, and there may be plans to do more.

Oka believes the revival has been a hit with fans because it's a good example of what he called "TV comfort food" - it's smart, sexy and has clear storylines that viewers can connect with.

1. portalpunk

Really, I'm just a useless troll with nothing better to do than attempt to sound intelligent on these boards. I'm not. I'm a self-abusing little child that still lives with my mommy and hides in the basement to avoid real people, especially girls. I also like to be the first one to post on a story so I can say FIRST and act like a moron. It makes my tiny little weewee hard.

October 7, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. portalpunk

I'm just an ignorant troll that serves no useful purpose in life. I was abused as a child and feel the only way to get attention is to be a whiney little girl on these blogs. Just ignore me because I really am stupid and don't deserve anything in life.

October 7, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
    • portalpunk

this guy/gal is another imiitator.

i'm a troll, this is what I do on this site, your silly comments are what i guage as 'wins'! by making fun you bocome a member of my fan club. thanks!

October 7, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • portalpunk

No, I'm the real uselss troll. Of course I'm a poser. I love being a poser and posing as this sad little troll. He's so sad, living with mommy and whining because someone is stepping on his sorry life. I also pee my panties cause I'm scared.

October 8, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. iho

Has Wo Fat made an appearance on Five O yet?

October 6, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. portalpunk

firsty!
    this was so good I had to repost. drumrolll please..... bbbbrrrddddp I'm the portalpunk, the one who has the funk, I can make up rhymes like the pope can commit crimes, my threads are so hip that it makes you want to hop, if you want to make fun, then its only cause your dum, I hope you like my jive cause when my record goes platnum, you'll still be postin like a has been.

October 6, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lombardo

Man, you are so cool.

I bet that you're so cool that you don't even flinch when you shove shampoo bottles up your @$$

October 6, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |