John Mayer left Twitter for the sake of his art
October 6th, 2010

John Mayer left Twitter for the sake of his art

The Twitter community may be mourning the loss of John Mayer but the singer says he left the social networking site for the sake of his art.

MTV reports that the former king of oversharing, who quit Twitter in September, explained it all in a blog post that appears to have been removed. "It occurred to me that since the invocation of Twitter, nobody who has participated in it has created any lasting art," he wrote. "And yes! Yours truly is included in that roundup as well."

In fact, Mayer, 32, claims that most people's tweets are "disposable," and goes on to question, "Has any artist, since they've begun to give you daily insights into their life, created their best work yet? Are the best writers of our time on Twitter?"

Ultimately, Mayer concluded, "Those who decide to remain offline will make better work than those online. Why? Because great ideas have to gather. They have to pass the test of withstanding thirteen different moods, four different months, and sixty different edits. Anything less is day trading. You can either get a bunch of mentions now or change someone's life next year."

That said, the soulful songwriter believes that Twitter does serve a purpose, particularly for people who are seeking celebrity.

"I'm not knocking Twitter for those who are trying to make a name for themselves," he said. "Some people need all the RTs they can get today. But for those who have already established themselves it's a slow erosion of the artistic notion."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • John Mayer • Music

1. Cindi

Stop the negative comments on John Mayer. He is the greatest mucsian of our time. Great song write, guitarist, and singer. Mayer has worked with Eric Clapton. If he wasn't on of the best would he be playing guitar next to Clapton? Go listen to Gravity. It is phenominal!

October 8, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Lisa

When was Twitter ever considered to be art? 'Artists' use it to communicate with their fans. Your music is your art, not a social networking site.

October 8, 2010 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  3. portalpunk

I'm a useless troll with nothing better to do than attempt to sound intelligent on these boards. I'm not. I'm just a self-abusing little child that still lives with my mommy and hides in the basement to avoid real people, especially girls. I also like to be the first one to post on a story so I can say FIRST and act like a moron. It makes my tiny little weewee hard.

October 7, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. What I Don't Understand

I don't mind him blogging, from time to time. Just no need to justify his decisions.

October 7, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  5. What I Don't Understand

What I don't get is why he felt the need to explain his actions. Why? Just close the account and leave it be. End of subject. No need to explain. I absolutely get his point, but just leave well enough alone. Now, go into your art.

October 7, 2010 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  6. boocat9

This guy seems like a narcissist to me. Anyone who "tweats" about the mundane things in their lives ought to get over themselves. He ought to take a page from other guys who have been around for years like Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page. You don't see those two acting like a bunch of media w***es.

October 6, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. JMFan83

MAD love for Johnny!!

October 6, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. Dwayne

John Mayer,
    You will never be one of the best writers of our time. Twitter or not.

P.S. Kanye West & Lady Gaga are doing just fine while partaking in social networking.

October 6, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • jmfan83

dude PLEASE dont use John's name in the same sentence as Kanye and GaGa! He is far superior!!

October 6, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

No, he isn't. He's not half as creative as those two. He's rather boring.

October 6, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Dude, John Mayer is the musician of our time. He is one of the finnest singer-songwriters presently. You opinion is solely based on you personal taste. As a music student I can tell you he is epic in his craft. True he socially made some bad calls. but enjoy him for his profession. Nobody is asking you to be friends with him.

October 7, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • zbtrocker

Kanye has a few decent tunes, but John Mayer's "Why Georgia" knocks Lady Gaga's entire repetoire out of the park.

October 8, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |