Help us Cheesus, we didn't love 'Glee'
October 6th, 2010

Help us Cheesus, we didn't love 'Glee'

Dear Cheesus, could you please stop making the "Glee" characters act so mean?

Seriously, I'm still trying to deal with how annoying Rachel has become and now Kurt starts acting up?

I get that he’s an atheist and has issues with the church because of their stance on gays, but seriously dude, the Glee Club members are supposed to be your friends. Coming off the high that was last week’s hilarious Britney/Brittany episode, this week just felt kind of forced to me.

Whenever a show takes on spirituality and/or religion, I always cringe just a bit for fear that it’s going to be way over the top either way it swings. But my main issue with this week’s “Glee” is that it pretty much felt like the for-your-Emmy-consideration reel of Chris Colfer, who plays Kurt Hummel.

Basically, Kurt refuses to attend the ritual dinner his dad enjoys putting on as a family every Friday and then dad has a heart attack. Cue the remorse and lots of close-ups of his tear-stained, tortured face.

I just didn’t get the anger Kurt directed at his fellow Gleeks for their attempts to offer support in the form of prayers. It all felt very overwrought and I wish we could have had more of the sub-plot of Sue Sylvester and her crisis of faith over God not helping her sister who has Down Syndrome. That storyline was a rich, barely tapped vein as far as I am concerned.

Even the music didn’t really move me this time around. I just knew that they are going to have Rachel perform something from "Yentl" since she’s Jewish and a Streisand fan, and then BAM, “Papa Can You Hear Me.” Color me not surprised.

As for the whole “Finn/Grilled Cheesus” sandwich plot, it just made me crave a grilled cheese and bowl of tomato soup (hey, it is that time of the year). Otherwise, it seemed pretty silly. So, if you haven't figure it out yet, this wasn’t one of my favorite episodes.

I pray next week will be better.

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • television • TV recaps

1. Lily

I can relate to Kurt's anger when friends and family keep on giving advice and suggestion about things he does not believe in... It happened to me too when my parents were ill. The only difference is that I did not show my anger and dissapproval to my friends and family... because – like Kurt realized in the end of the episode- I knew that they were just "being nice" and it was not about me, but about my parents..

April 2, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. meggo4all

Glee has had terribly weak story lines from the start. Season One we were all still smitten in the whole fun, musical aspect and didn't mind the ridiculously thin plots. But as much as I still enjoy the music, it's getting old fast. This ep. was just as silly and pointless as the others, and I need to start questioning whether I'll continue to waste 50 min watching this show.

October 25, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Meghan

I totally agree with Jayden on this, and i dont know what that reporter was watching cause i was watching a really good glee.

October 11, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jayden

I think the author of this article was probably never angry at religion as a child. While I wasn't a fan of the episode for different reason (it seemed to take a dim view of atheism and agnosticism and only gave a token nod to non-Judeo-Christian beliefs), I didn't think Kurt's reaction was over the top at all. When kids get angry at God and religion, their responses tend to be what would seem over-the-top to adults. Many times, they've been taught an oversimplified version of what religion means, and they get very angry when that "God" either seems to reject them or just doesn't live up to what their parents promised. And if you've ever experienced as a child being something your parents' religion preaches against (gay or suicidal, for example), you can feel pretty rejected and angry.

October 8, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. medea

I totally disagree with this review. The reviewer completely missed the point of the episode. I lost my father 43 days ago and, despite my strong belief in God, I was and am furious with the world and God's plan. Kurt's reaction is how many people feel when faced with losing a parent. Nothing anybody says is right and anger is the only emotion that comes out. This was one of the best episodes of Glee I've seen in a while and to put it down in favor of the utterly pointless Britney episode tells me that the reviewer prefers mindless pandering to pop culture rather than actual plot and depth. Glee got the right mix of songs and plot this week. Nicely done.

October 8, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  6. portalpunk

Really, I'm just a useless troll with nothing better to do than attempt to sound intelligent on these boards. I'm not. I'm a self-abusing little child that still lives with my mommy and hides in the basement to avoid real people, especially girls. I also like to be the first one to post on a story so I can say FIRST and act like a moron. It makes my tiny little weewee hard.

October 7, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. portalpunk

I wanted to say I hate Glee but since I'm just a useless idiot, I want to come out and say I love this show. Every loser like me in the world loves this show because this show is for losers. It's so bad, even the losers the pick on losers love it. I should know since I'm a self-abusing loser that hides in my mommies basement to avoid real girls. I also have a tiny little weewee.

October 7, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Heather

I really enjoyed the episode, granted it wasn't my favorite, but it was still good. As for the anger Kurt was exhibiting I whole heartedly agree with him. As someone who's not Christian I don't like it when people force their religious views on others. I don't believe in their god and if I was in the same situation I would probably get mad too. Like the one line in the show "to each his own" is exactly right. So much for "thou shall not judge" because that's all people do when you say you don't believe in god, they judge you and say you're going to hell. News flash, that doesn't bother people who don't believe in hell. I think Christianity should get over itself, people should live their lives based on how they want to live as long as they're respectful to others and be thankful for what they have without making others feel they're not good enough if they don't agree with your beliefs.

My favorite line of the show: Britney "God is an evil gnome?"

October 7, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
    • TM

Ok if you get that angry because you think that they are forcing there religion and there beliefs then maybe you should evaluate your life and then realize why it actually bothers you that much if you are so confident in what you don't believe. They were not forcing anything. That is what they believe and they believed in the power of prayer and wanted to help his dad and give there sympathy. Like stated at the end by Kurt he should have let them pray for him because it wasn't about him it was about his dad.

October 7, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  9. AGleeFan

The writer of this missed the ENTIRE point. As someone who has lost 2 people that are very close to me, the episode was spot on.

October 7, 2010 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  10. Gleek

OK – I've gotta say, I've been worried about this show this season. However, there were some outstanding moments this week – specifically the performances by Mike O'Malley and Jane Lynch. Yes, Burt Hummell was comatose for most of the episode. But, we knew it was coming just from last week's previews and still when he hit the ground I gasped. I understand why we can't get too mushy with Sue's storylines – but when she addressed her religious views and how they were effected by what she had seen in the past with her sister, it was riveting.

Now for the music. Losing My Religion was OK. Only the Good Die Young was good. Bridge Over Troubled Water was VERY nicely done! Papa Can you Hear Me? Puh-lease! (I would actually be impressed if we went a week without Rachel singing – and I like Rachel!) I would have much rather seen "Papa" eliminated and the whole version of "What if God Was One of Us" performed at the end.

All in all – this was a good week. If nothing else, it made a statement as to the diversity of people religious views and how those views are affected not just by fiath, but by experiences in life. Story wise – much more contributive to the characters than the Britney/Brittany episode.

October 7, 2010 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  11. Bello0911

Hallelujah! Well done . . . GLEE cast, writers . . . you made the fans talk (e-mail) I myself thought the show was wonderful. Those of you whom are reading this e-mail, their are people, person etc . . . who really do not know Jesus . . and we still have a whole lot of spiritual growth and praying to do. I love the show GLEE, and everything is not going to be to our beat, but we do learn from good to bad to wonderful espisodes . . . and this espisodes had its high as well as its lows. . . . but the show will and must go on. Hang in their GLEE people you still will win your Emmy!!!! Stay strong

October 7, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  12. Kaleesto

This episode was not only bold, but astoundingly right on. First, starting with the playfulness of Cheesus (presumably to offset the heaviness of the rest of the episode) was freakin' hilarious! The characters who believe vs. those who don't made perfect sense. Kurt's response is absolutely what I would expect a gay, confused teen to respond with. He doesn't believe and doesn't want your sympathy. He wants his dad. While outside, we can see the way he *should* react, but humans very rarely respond the way they SHOULD. This episode was a long needed explanation from those who are atheist or even agnostic to the masses who are placated at every turn on TV. How many other shows have ever even MENTIONED the Flying Spaghetti Monster? I mean, really?! Additionally, it is a much needed response on why a gay child/teen may be angry at the world for the injustice of our society right now. It's timing is particularly appropriate, considering the rash of teen gay suicides. LOVED IT!

October 7, 2010 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mel

Ummm...no. Grilled Cheezus was the redeeming episode. I was so excited for the Britney episode last week and was horribly dissapointed. It was Britney Spears – they didn't have to work too hard to make it awesome and they totally screwed it up somehow. But this weeks episode totally made up for last weeks. It was awesome and glee-tastic again. I think Glee is allowed one bad episode a season. Every episode last season was brilliant except for the "HOME" episode with April Rhoades – but other than that boredom fest all was well.

October 7, 2010 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
  14. Sarah

I felt last week was forced too, as did this weeks...I was fast forwarding through songs while watching Grilled Chessus, which I have never done. Rachel, ugh. All I can say is she used to be my favorite character and now probably my least. I completely understand Kurt's problem with him asking his friends to respect his wishes, and had they wanted to sing, fine, something not religious that hurt Kurt's feelings, but to go behind his back made me so mad. All the songs were horrible this week... Except I Wanna Hold Your Hand, but the montage of him being 10 drinking fake tea, c'mon. And the only parts I thought was great was the Sue Sylvester and her sister and Finn is such a goof, he would pray to a grilled cheese.

October 7, 2010 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
  15. lovegrilledcheese

btw, i first heard that song "i want to hold your hand" arrangement from the movie "across the universe". both interpretations were superb : )

October 7, 2010 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  16. lovegrilledcheese

last night's episode was the best so far. very powerful and moving. love the scene where kurt was singing "i want to hold your" hand and another scene with sue and her sister. sigh!

October 7, 2010 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  17. Kara

Glee has a habit of (like many western series), using multiple writers and throwing out filler over backstory for their event/drama centric episodes.

I wish they would make it character centric.

What frustrates me mostly about this show is how it LACKS so much continuity. One episode, something MAJOR happens, and there is almost always what in TV tropes calls "series amnesia" and the event is forgotten lololol.

Fix it Ryan Murphy. Plz. :(

October 7, 2010 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Heather

Kara – I think the reason that there really is no continual storyline is because it's supposed to be high school. I pretty much remember my high school years being chaotic and having the ups and downs of everyday life. Of course it's still to get to the regionals at the end of the year but other than that I really think every week it's going to be a different topic. At least we know it's already signed for another season after this so maybe they'll start to put together a stronger back story. Of course after 4 seasons it'll be hard to continue, if they are all sophmores this season then it means in 2 seasons they all graduate and unless they all go to the same college and Mr. Shuster goes with them they'll need to get a new cast.

October 7, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  18. Khp

I liked the episode too, but can agree that I'm starting to hate Rachel's character and how insecure and mean she is. It's getting really annoying.

October 6, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Sean

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed last night's episode. Although I don't have any religious affiliations, I do enjoy the discussion of Theology. Chris Colfer's performance was absolutely PHENOMENAL. He played the emotion and role of "atheist" perfectly. I really hope this earns him another Emmy nod. As far as the music, they weren't my favorite song selections, but the cast sang them beautifully. One of GLEE's best!!

October 6, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Christa

I really enjoyed the episode. I thought it treated the the subject of religion delicately enough to appease the viewers, while maintaining a powerful and interesting plot. I think Kurt is a very believable character. But then again, I AM one of those "white mid-Amerian" types who doesn't use her brain when watching television, so what do I know.

This is me on my soapbox, so feel free to skip: Everyone has different experiences, different beliefs, and different perspectives. Learning to accept the opinion of others as something unchangeable can be a difficult life lesson. We all want to affect the world, leave some part of ourselves, and sometimes getting others to think the way we do can seem like a way of acheiving that end. What would televsion – life itself – be like, however, if it parroted our own perspectives back at us? Not nearly as interesting, I'd imagine.

October 6, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Tabitha Jones

Personally, I thought that this was the best episode of Glee yet. It was very moving and Chris Colfer's rendition of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" was utterly beautiful.
    And I can understand why he was so angry at his friends. I mean, he just announced that he didn't believe in God and yet they showered him with prayers and songs about God and spirituality, which showed absolutely no courtesy to him at all. And singing at his father's bedside... Intrusive much?

October 6, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Frank

"I get that he’s an atheist and has issues with the church because of their stance on gays"

How cliched.

October 6, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Crystal

I think this was quite possibly THE BEST episode yet. It touches on tough issues of spirituality and faith in a humorous way that makes us all think critically. For a more complete review, check out my blog here: http://www.soulmunchies.com/?p=1854

October 6, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Alyson

I thought it was one of the better episodes. The music was diverse and not just paying trubute to one singer/band which was getting old. I thought it was a moving episode as most are that focus on Kurt and his dad's relationship. And it showed that no matter what your religious beliefs are you can eventually come to respect another's views even if they are not the same as yours. You could not be more wrong in your review.

October 6, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Ted

Very topical, esp with the recent spate of gay teen suicides in America and anti-gay comments by a certain high profile religious leader in the papers. Kurt's grief, anger and withdrawal was convincing; everybody has their way of coping but the anger from 'why is this happening to me? why didn't i go for dinner with dad?' that he directed at his friends was not contrived at all. Chris gave a very moving portrayal but I have to say that the crying scenes could have been shortened – a little too much like MTV backdrop for me.

October 6, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Colby

It was a GREAT episode and refreshing to actually have the music match the storyline instead of forcing a story to match the music like last week's riduclous Brittany Spears episode.

October 6, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Mary E

As the mother of a gay son, I thought the episode was perfectly written. My son no longer believes in God because of the evil Mormons, hate filled Baptists and all organized religion. What all of these men and women of God (ha!) have forgotten is that God loves us all, and that one day, they will be judged for their evil judging.

October 6, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Victor

I agree with the review, the music on this episode wasn't that great and the plot seemed kind of rushed and not very coherent.

Worst episode of the season so far.

October 6, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  29. You Probably Hated Buffy and VMars Too

I bet you're really old, Reviewer Guy. Seriously. I sobbed the whole time, along with my friends. And Grilled Chesus? That's Grilled Genius, hello!

October 6, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Be Quiet

BOTH last week and this week were forced. What is happening to this show? I've never been a fan of Kurt...and now I'm just starting to hate him. Rachel's "Papa Can You Hear Me" almost made me barf. The only redeeming thing about last night's show was Mercedes and the church choir. That girl is going to be a superstar.

October 6, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  31. B=Dog

That would be TWO bad reviews in a row..... Finally people are starting to see that this show is unrealistic and un F'n watchable!

October 6, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Johnny Drama

Last weeks episode blew, this week's was worse. The only good thing about this week's was "Grilled Cheesus". Rachel is hugely a-nnoy-ing.

October 6, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  33. zero1ghost

It was, as Glee tends towards, a little too much on the surface. I wish they would develop the characters a little bit or the plot. might have to take out a song or two to accomplish this. but i liked the unresolved spiritual issues at the end. the moral of "let the big questions united us, not the answers" was pretty tight. at least, that's what i got out of it.

October 6, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Cass`

I don't know what this blogger was talking about! I love last night's episode of Glee SO much more than the Brittany episode. The music was fantastic! I was tearing up the whole time and really appreciated the way the show is willing to tackle issues that many others aren't willing to touch. Keep it up, Glee!!

October 6, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Justin

While I couldn't say whether or not the writer of this review has ever experienced a similar loss...I can say with reasonable certainty that by the content of your review you don't have an understanding of how Kurt felt during this particular episode. As a psychotherapist, I see patients on a a regular basis that have experienced crisis or extreme loss that feel overwhelming emotions...including anger. It is often common to direct or transfer that anger to others around you...particularly people you care for, because you know they are there for you. It makes it "safe" to direct that anger at them because you know they aren't going anywhere. As for his reasons for being angry...his character has already lost his mother and now his dad could possibly not recover from a heart attack...that gives an adolescent who is already confused and still developing self awareness plenty of mixed emotions...one of them most definitely being anger.

October 6, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Cindy

I think Glee has begun to take itself too seriusly maybe....it is, after all, supposed to be musical comedy (I think?) Often...it is just sleezy, and no young kids should be watching it. That being said, speaking of sleeze, that was ALL the Britney episode was about. Probably because I can't stand her or her music, I did not like that episode at all. But that is not to say it wasn't well done, obviously. About last night's episode, the part I laughted outright over was the first minute or so with Finn discovering Jesus in the sandwich. Although much of the show was outright sacriligious (in my opinion) that was still really, really funny.

October 6, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Penny

I for one loved this show this week. I lost my father to a cerebral hemorrhage in 2003, and he was in a coma for a while, so I could relate to the whole sitting by the bedside talking to him thing. And I lost it on "Papa Can You Hear Me" cuz I love Barbra and Lea Michele channels her so wonderfully. So I was quite taken with the stories.

October 6, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Nikki

I have enjoyed Glee, but as of last night I was not amused.

October 6, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  39. jhnmrgnj

I disagree with this review also. It felt like last weeks episode was so forced, beacause alot of people were clammering for it. But, if you listen to those BRIT songs, there is no vocal range to them and they sounded Blah. This week was a touching episode, alothough the religon aspect was a little heavy handed, I thought the I wanna hold your hand was great (and I am a huge Beatle fan who would usually cry foul). I typically hate Bridge Over Troubled Water ( Thanks Clay), but it was really good and different. Could have done with out REM

October 6, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Millie Bea

I thought this episode was WAY better than the Brittney episode- so much better. Grilled Cheesus- brillant. Kirk singing I Want to Hold Your Hand- brilliant. Singing Papa Can you Hear Me from Yentl- brillant. And Will was back to being normal and not a teen-wannabe from that last episode which was WAY out of character, even if the character was in crisis. And Dot Jones is a fabulous addition.

October 6, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

It's KURT, not "Kirk".

Honestly, do you people actually watch these shows, or are you reading the episode summaries on Wikipedia and that's just good enough?

October 7, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  41. portalpunk

I tried to post something funny, but after reading the posts here it is obvious you are all lunatics. You would probably hunt me down if I said something nasty about your wonderful little show about people singing silly songs.

October 6, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Tori

Great episode! Religion is not an easy subject to talk about & they handled very well imo. The only that really got to me was Finn being the last person to know about Burt. Kurt I know you're hurting but that was a really crappy thing to do. Kurt did redeem his self to me at the end when he told his dad that he shouldn't had made his friends leave cause it wasn't about him(kurt) it was about his dad. But overall great episode.

October 6, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  43. DougB

I wasn't a big fan of this week's episode. The music seemed a bit off. They gave the wrong song to Chris Cofer (he seemed to struggle with parts of the song), as well as the guy who plays Kurt. I thought actor who played Kurt over acted or something–it didn't come off right. Leah Michelle did an OK job with the Bab's song, I was waiting for her to bring it to the next level, but she never did. What I did like was that actress who plays the school counselor–she seemed to finally ditch her mousy personae and grew a pair (I still don't get the attraction of Will's character to her). Jane Lynch did a great job as usual. If these clunker episodes continue I may opt to watch something else or-GASP-read a book!

October 6, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Um...Chris Colfer IS the actor who plays Kurt, so pretty much your whole comment is invalidated since you clearly don't know who the hell you're talking about, it seems.

October 7, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Lisa Respers France, CNN.com writer

Please feel free to refer back to my recap last week of the Britney/Brittany episode. The "hilarious" I refer to is all about Brittany's dialogue. Last week wasn't my favorite episode either.

October 6, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  45. old guy

This was one of their best episodes. The Kurt storyline was very realistic. I have been there.

October 6, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Dave

I enjoyed this weeks episode. This is what I watch Glee for... quirky characters, songs that move the plot along and new insight into the studends and facality of that silly high school. I have to add that Rachel's version of "Papa Can You Hear Me?" was just a bit over the top. That is the very reason is why I tune in every week.

October 6, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Nikki

I do have to agree that Kurt is a bad crier. Poor guy has the same problem I do...very white person who's nose turns red and swells when they cry. Totally agree that this episode made me want a Grilled Cheesus and some Doubting Tom-ato soup real bad.

October 6, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Gleek

Although I totally agree with the sudden desire for grilled cheese and tomato soup, I disagree with pretty much everything else. I thought everything to do with Kurt and his father was quite realistic and touching, from the disagreement about dinner to the end moment holding hands. Chris Colfer played it perfectly.
    I also think that Finn and his Cheesus moments were great. He has such sincerity when he plays his self-centered moments. He really seems like a teenage boy who just doesn't always see the big picture right away.
    And while seeing a little more of Sue with her sister would have been a treat (especially because of Jane Lynch) the show is called Glee and even with her great ability shouldn't focus so much on Lynch.

October 6, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Yanna

I can't disagree more.. first of all, B/B was weak, really weak. Secondly, Chris Colfer's acting skills are beyond brilliant and NOT forced... unlike some of Lea's scenes. I'm an atheist too and I completely relate with Kurt. The episode was the best episode of all the episodes, by the way.

October 6, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  50. hmmm

I figured last night was going to upset a lot of people on both ends.

I enjoyed the show though, and thought they did a pretty decent job of not caving into either side of the religious/anti religious groups.

You had Kurt being an atheist and portrayed it pretty well, although some would say that he broke character at the end by going to the church. For those who don't understand him being angry....really?? where have you been. Go take a peek on any message board on CNN where religion is discussed and just see how angry both sides are, including atheists – I have seen a lot of nasty stuff from them. Hell, even people who are religious get "angry" when they lose someone they love or almost do, including at god. If you don't understand the anger part, you are really out of touch.

On the religious side, you had most of the other Glee club members. They did a fairly good job of portraying them as just trying to help and feeling the pain Kurt was going through. This included the other religions and the cheery on the top was the "black church" scene with Mercedes. I have never been to one but I always hear how powerful they are.

Finally, you had the comedy aspect of religion with the Grilled Cheesus (Caps). This angle was needed for the comedy, beause lets face it, without that angle, all you had going was the possible death of Kurt's dad + religious bickering, so it needed something still religious themed to break it up. I thought it was funny as %$%. For those who say that this makes a mockery of religion, clue yourself in and google something like "Image of god/jesus found on" and you will see tons of "real" stories of poeple finding "images" of God/Jesus on all kinds of different things, including the famouse grilled cheese sandwich from a few years back. People have such short memories.

I knew this was going to be an episode that wasn't received well because it makes people, even slightly, think about their religious beliefs or lack there of. Again I thought it was fairly well done and my family enjoyed it.

October 6, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Johanna

this review is so wrong! have you lost someone close to you? because i have and i know a lot of people who have or had someone they LOVE and have them in the hospital. you push people away. even your closest friends.

To the person who said Kurt was out of character, how? please explain that. i thought that was completely in character. he's already lost his mother now the thought of losing his father....

whatever, haters gonna hate

October 6, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Andy

Oh, please. This show is 90% crap. The 10% that's awesome almost always revolves around the storyline with Kurt and his dad (plus a little Sue Sylvester). Chris Colfer SHOULD win an Emmy. He's by far the best dramatic actor on the show. I would much rather watch an episode which highlights his abilities that the usual Glee tripe. This was a TOPICAL storyline which was well-executed for once. It's not Colfer's fault that his is actually good enough to pull it off.

October 6, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  53. karen

This episode was so boring I started reading. BTW did anyone else notice that Finn at a week old grilled cheese sandwich at the end the the episode?

October 6, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  54. karen

This episode was so boring I started reading. BTW did anyone else notice that Finn at a week old grilled cheese sandwich at the end the the episode.

October 6, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Megan

The people who are saying this episode is AMAZING~ are the people at whom Glee is directed: middle America types who get easily caught up in sappiness without using their brains or trying to think about the characters' motivations. This was an extremely silly episode with very little realism to it, and I hope the Glee writers tackle the issue of spirituality in a more realistic, less cheesy fashion another time.

October 6, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nomad

This response is offensive on so many levels it's hard to know where to begin. "the people at whom Glee is directed: middle America types who get easily caught up in sappiness without using their brains or trying to think about the characters' motivations". What a condescending pile of crap. Since you have such strong feelings about the people at whom Glee is directed, why don't you tell us again why you watch the show, since you obviously don't fit into the target audience? And you think that Glee is supposed to be about realism? What were you expecting, Chekhov?

October 7, 2010 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  56. sarah

i totally agree with this review. i'm an agnostic myself and whenever people pray for me or tell me "god bless" i take it for what it is: concern for me and it's their way of expressing it. that's how all the agnostics i know feel as well, none of them would have been complete dillweeds to their concerned friends the way kurt was. almost an offensive episode imo.

October 6, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Leah

This episode has been my favourite this season and better than a lot last season too. I completely disagree with your review.
    I cried during this episode, when Kurt sand I Wanna Hold Your Hand and when he was at Burt's bedside at the end of the episode. Rachel annoys me but she was good in this episode.
    Chris Colfer is a brilliant actor and I didn't feel like it was forced at all. Yeah Mike's heart attack wasn't the best ever, but that wasn't the point.
    I thought the episode was amazing and deserves a lot more credit then you are giving it

October 6, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Sandra Dee

I agree with Andrea, I want to see some actual storylines that will last for the season instead of this issue of the week format that the show seems to be adopting. Wanna bet that Kirk's dad's heart attack will get one mention in next week's episode and then everyone will act like it didn't happen?

October 6, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • wilsoch

Why do you think the storyline will not last the season? His father is in the hospital in a coma; I'm sure that issue will pervade the season.

As for the episode itself, I thought it was by far the best episode yet. I do not understand why people are criticizing Kurt's anger. People react differently to loss. Kurt already lost his mother, and his father is lying in a hospital bed in a coma; I do not think it AT ALL surprising that his character would bristle with anger at the mention of God. In his eyes, God already took away his mother, and God stands for religious organizations that traditionally have not been welcoming to gays.

October 6, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Jen

Couldn't disagree with this review more. The Britney episode was forced. This was actually emotional with a cohesive plot. Every now and then you need an episode like this.

October 6, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  60. SCGleek

I disagree with tis review. I thought last weeks Brittany/Britney was forced and strange. I enjoyed it but it was...strange...This week's show seemed very real. I have a 20 yr old step daughter who would have been on Kurt's side. She doesn't believe in God and gets very angry when "religion" is discussed. I thought the emotions portrayed were spot on and I throughly enjoyed the music. Finn's facination with the grilled cheesus bothered me more than ANYTHING else. Probably ranked in my top 3 episodes of Glee.

October 6, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  61. sarah

I agree with this review. Ham-fisted and most of the songs didn't even have anything to do with religion! Tip to the Glee writers: try doing your research before passing off R.E.M.'s "Losing My Religion" as a song about faith in God or lack thereof.

October 6, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah Ann

But, it did work there. The song is about anger and obsession; doesn't that work for Finn's situation? He was both most of the episode. I thought it worked well in both the literal and metaphorical sense, honestly. Heck, it worked for the episode in general.

October 6, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • OMG

SO glad I'm not the only person who picked up on that!!! That song is not about hating God, it's about being fed up with unrequited love!

October 6, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • sarah

I did not think it worked. They obviously only threw it into the episode because it has the word "religion" in it, not because it relates to Finn's outlandish grilled cheese situation or his ludicrous feelings. The same applies to "Only The Good Die Young"; they only had Puck sing that because of the religious imagery in it. It didn't relate to anything going on in the episode at all.

October 6, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeffery Rivers

I don't think they threw it in there just because it had the word "religion" in it. It worked for Finn's feelings, but not towards God, I thought. I was thinking it was more about his relationship and that he felt bad about Sam getting hurt during the game. I agree with OMG and Sarah Ann

October 6, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  62. LG

Ok, have to agree with some of you, last weeks episode was one of the worst I have seen, hated it. Loved this weeks though. Enjoyed the comical Cheesus bits, made me and my husband laugh out loud.

October 6, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Dina

I also totally disagree. I absolutely loved the episode. To me, it had everything...laughter, humor, anguish, guilt, frustration...a great story, timely topics, brilliant acting, and genius writing. It did not come across as maudlin or preachy to me at all. The whole cast was terrific, but Chris Colfer...wow. Amazing. I'm so proud to be a Glee fan.

October 6, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Andrea

The songs had nothing to do with anything, Kurt was acting completely out of character, and the grilled cheese gag was just stupid. And before you start telling me OMG YOU HAVEN'T LOST ANYONE SO YOU CAN'T RELATE, I have lost people in my life. I still thought this was a weak piece of television. Glee, you better step it up and start pushing some ACTUAL STORYLINES or you have lost a viewer.

October 6, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeffery Rivers

I'm beginning to think you didn't even watch the episode. Which is a shame because it was really good!

October 6, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Jon Mark

Really? I can't believe that you started out this review by praising last weeks episode, which was the worst one I've seen to date. Honestly, there was no storyline last week. I felt like I was watching drunk YouTube videos with John Stamos. That was the extent of the plot.

This week had some meat to it. I actually felt something while I was watching it. Don't get me wrong, I expected to hate the episode when it started out: the heart attack felt forced, there was no motivation for Puck's song, and an episode about religion is scary! But the by the time Mercedes had Kurt in church, I was on board. I cried with Kurt when he sang "I Wanna Hold Your Hand," which was beautiful, and "What if God Was One of Us" was the perfect way to end the episode. We can't see too much of Sue Sylvester's softer side, because then she wouldn't be Sue Sylvester.

This week reminded me why I loved this show at the beginning of last season. There was a lot of redemption.

October 6, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeffery Rivers

It's good to see that people are still seeing clearly. I agree with you. Puck song was a little forced but I still enjoyed it a lot. He's got a good voice and thats a good song.

October 6, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Lorena

I totally agree with Cielo. I guess you haven't lost someone yet...don't forget to tell your loved ones that YOU LOVE THEM! I lost both my parents to cancer and last night's episode sent me back to that time of pain and sorrow, and I how at some point I questioned my faith and wonder if there was a God up there. This episode is by far one of the best of the series. Yes, I agree with you when you say that Rachel has become really annoying but other than that it was a great episode. And musically speaking, AWESOME!!!

October 6, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Chewy

I thought they did a great job displaying how diverse religiously we are. There was room for everyones beliefs. It was timely and poignant for our current political climate.

October 6, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ann

I completely agree!

October 6, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aug

Exactly! I feel like some of the people are just complaining about the episode because they don't like atheists or something. I thought it was nice that they showed various beliefs and no one changed what they believed, except maybe Finn a little (even though one reviewer I saw seemed to think that Mercedes' church "made Kurt a believer" I don't think that happened. I think it made him accepting of, but not believing in, God or religion.)

October 6, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barry

I think it made Kurt accepting of what his friend, Mercedes, was trying to do for him. No more, no less.

October 6, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  68. JTansey

Wow. I totally, completely disagree. I thought last week's episode was so silly and forced that I almost didn't watch this weeks. I thought this episode was incredible moving. The song choices were fabulous and the storyline real. Well done, Glee!

October 6, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Georgia Joey

I agree with you that it was moving. I admit I got a little misty when Kurt walked into the hospital room and saw his dad lying there. Mercedes was INCREDIBLE doing "Bridge Over Troubled Water"!!!! I can see her as the next Aretha!

October 6, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeffery Rivers

I agree that it was very moving. I'lll admit that I was tearing up all over the place. I agree with you completely. I like the Aretha comparison! Haha I so agree with that too!

October 6, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • D.S.

Amen!

October 6, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Superdave

Completely disagree with Georgia Joey. Mercedes SLAUGHTERED "Bridge Over Troubled Water". That is an absolute classic song and that arrangement was horrific. She has a phenomenal voice, and she's a great singer, but whoever created that particular arrangement for GLEE should be shot!

October 7, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeffery Rivers

I think i know what you mean superdave. That wasnt a very good arangement but if thats all you have, then you might as well have her sing it because her voice is fantastic.

October 7, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Georgia Joey

I agree that it all felt kind of forced. Kurt is such an ugly crier, but they continue to have him cry about something and do an extreme close-up a la Wayne's World. Weird version of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" too. While it IS no surprise Rachel did a Streisand song, it's her strongest suit. It was certainly, vocally, better than her version of "Baby One More Time". "Losing My Religion" was an obvious song choice for the episode, but Finn made it sound very weak. Not a great vocal by any means.

October 6, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  70. kristen

it was AWFUL.. I hope they can turn the season around

October 6, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nancy

One bad episode doesn't necessarily mean they have an entire season to turn around. It was just one bad episode. Now if they have a few episodes in a row that the majority of viewers do not like then they may have a season to turn around. Just my 2 cents. Thanks

October 6, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Cielo

OMG...what the hell is this review?
    Have you EVER lost someone? Because I did and I hated the wold back them. it torn my family apart and we would basically explode at each other. The character is facing the very real possibility of being an orphan and you think he should be more understanding???

October 6, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alice

Yeah! How dare someone offer a well-reasoned critique of your favorite TV show and think from a perspective that isn't blinded by rabid unconditional fangirling?

October 6, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeffery Rivers

First learn to spell. Then understand that yes, Kurt should be more understanding and open to the fact that there is a God. Kurt was to harsh to the only other people trying to help his family. I'm sorry for you're loss, and I feel for you because I've lost more than one loved one. But, Kurt didn't have a reason to be angry. Sad, yes for sure, but not angry, especially towards his only friends. What they critique was saying was that the author didn't understand why he was. It didn't seem like you understood that.

October 6, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sass

@ Jeffrey Rivers. If the first thing you're going to say to someone is "learn to spell"...you really need to spell check the rest of your response and check for typos before posting. You like kind of silly now. Just saying.

October 6, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Listen, we can all post on webpages like this how we've lost someone and gone through grief – some people choose to post it as a response to get validation because they've "been there," some people choose to keep it private. Either way, you absolutely cannot claim that the person who wrote this completely valid review of the episode has "obviously never lost someone." Everyone deals with grief in their own way – even if that sometimes means to act irrationally. This "Glee" episode was trying to show several sides to the coin in more ways than one. Chill out and enjoy, or don't bother reading and bombarding us with your personal life.

October 6, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • mariejacobs

As someone that does not believe in God (in the most Christian form), I can understand the anger and hurt that a teen who already has mood swings due to hormones would go through when they are dealing with a situation like this and feel like the people that are supposed to be most supportive are forcing their religious beliefs on him. It can be hard to step into someone else's shoes to understand exactly what that person is feeling, thinking or the motivation behind either. Enjoy what you can out of a TV show and leave the rest alone. They can only do so much and will not always make everyone 100% happy.

October 6, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeffery Rivers

Sass, I think you meant to say that I *look* pretty now. But yeah you're right. Spelling doesn't matter. And I 100% agree with Joe.

October 6, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |