Emma Stone cast as Gwen Stacy in 'Spider-Man'
October 6th, 2010

Emma Stone cast as Gwen Stacy in 'Spider-Man'

Hollywood "It" girl Emma Stone has been captured by America's favorite web-slinging hero! The actress has officially been cast in the new "Spider-Man" reboot.

After weeks of rumors that 21-year-old Stone - who currently stars in the hit teen comedy "Easy A" - would play Spidey's red-headed love interest Mary Jane, the Hollywood Reporter now confirms that she'll play blonde love interest Gwen Stacy instead.

According to director Marc Webb, hiring Stone to star opposite leading man Andrew Garfield, 27, was a no-brainer – Webb's Spidey senses went off when the two auditioned together.

“The chemistry between Andrew and Emma was stunning and made Emma the clear choice,” Webb said. “At the heart of the story of Peter Parker is not only the amazing Spider-Man but also an ordinary teenager who is wondering what he has to do to get the girl. Andrew and Emma will bring everything audiences expect to these roles but also make them their own."

Sources tell the Hollywood Reporter that Mary Jane will not appear in the first "Spider-Man" movie so that the focus can remain on the relationship between Peter and Gwen, who, in the comics, dies at the hands of the evil Green Goblin.

« Previous entry
  1. iasduios

movies

November 20, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. wantery

Golmaal 3

November 15, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tiff

this is because we really needed yet ANOTHER version of a spiderman movie already??

October 13, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. spidey

New movie wow!

Online movies

October 10, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. portalpunk

Really, I'm just a useless troll with nothing better to do than attempt to sound intelligent on these boards. I'm not. I'm a self-abusing little child that still lives with my mommy and hides in the basement to avoid real people, especially girls. I also like to be the first one to post on a story so I can say FIRST and act like a moron. It makes my tiny little weewee hard.

October 7, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. SaintPetersburg

she's a charimastic girl and she'll be great in the movie. But it's so odd that she's not being cast as MJ. THAT seemed like a no-brainer. If you ever seen her in interviews, she fits the bill of MJ's personality to a tee!

October 7, 2010 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  7. jj

does anyone really care about this nobody and the nobody role she will play?

October 7, 2010 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  8. Chris

Emma Stone is goegeous and talented. portalpunk is hilarious. LoL. RELAX, everyone. It's a message board. Don't take it so serious.

October 6, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Frank

Well, now I have ONE reason to watch this movie. I'll probably still wait for the DVD to check it out from the library, however.

October 6, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. @Pete

Holy crap, I bet you je*k to old Spiderman comic books...
    Interact with humans, instead of your Star Trek dolls, and you may get laid...

October 6, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Pete

I'm so happy that she will be in this movie, but I so had her pegged for the MJ role. I mean she looks like MJ in real life. It will be very interesting to see Emma going blonde as Gwen Stacy. Anyways, Mary-Jane apparently won't be very important in the first reboot and it will mainly focus on Gwen Stacy. So it's obvious they wanted Stone for the bigger part. Hopefully, it all works out in her schedule and she doesn't drop out of the film to do another movie like Kate Hudson did. She must stay in the film, it will be awesome.

Emma is so talented and I'm glad she is taking as many film opportunities as possible. She is gonna have a cameo in Friends with Benefits, a voice role in The Croods, a supporting role in Crazy, Stupid, Love, and a leading role in the highly anticipated adaptation of The Help. In addition to landing the Spider-man role, Sony has also offered her a lead in the film version of 21 Jump Street where she will reunite with her superbad co-star Jonah Hill. So she will be very busy for the next several months. So excited.

October 6, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. judgemofo

Zombieland rules!!!

October 6, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • @joe

I doubt that you have the balls, skills, or anything needed to bed this chick, much less 'sneak out in the morning' If you did for some act of Jebus land this chick, she would the hottest human you ever touched, and I don't know her from anything and I;m not a fan. Just wanted to let you know how small you are.

October 7, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Amy

Meh. She's the new Megan Fox – easy on the eyes so men love her, but really not that great of an actress. I saw Easy A and that movie was funny in spite of everyone involved in it, not because of them.

October 6, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • portalpunk

@Amy
      opinion fail

October 6, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • joe

You cannot be serious. The next Megan fox? I don't think so. Megan Fox is so rediclulously hot that the fact that she can't act is inconsequential. Emma Stone is cute, in a "sneak out of the bedroom the next morning when I sober up" kind of way. she is also a pretty decent actress. But comparing her to Megan Fox is absurd. Ask anyone with testerone.

October 7, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  14. Lorin

I remember first seeing Emma Stone in Super Bad, never in a million years did I think she'd be the next "it" girl. But last night I went and saw Easy A and I have to say she is pretty amazing! I will definitely be checking out Spider-man.

October 6, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Raving Lunatic

I have a feeling we'll be inundated with Emma Stone in every movie for the next two or three years. The plague of being the "it" girl in Hollywood.

October 6, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  16. portalpunk

i'm first to post today, na na nana na. you lazy fools, cant crawl out of bed and have a cup of coffee by the time the world passes you by, na na nana na.

October 6, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
    • portalpunk

p.s. regarding emma, red on the head means fire in the hole, whoooo hoooooo, thats some candy!

October 6, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Amy

Portalpunk, sorry to kill your buzz, but she dyes her hair. She's naturally a blonde.

October 6, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Amy

Don't feed the trolls Amy. This doofus will only continue to spew his drivel all over the story. His ignorance knows no boudaries.

October 6, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ @Amy

He's a lot better than cheefsfury at least.

October 6, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • portalpunk

@Amy, all I know is your mama's not a true blonde, she shaved a little landing stip for me when I hooked up with her last night

@@Amy, ya sucka, you are correct-a-mundo. You win the prize, but its to bad no one reads your lame posts.

October 6, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • @portalpooper

You obviously read the, don't you numbnutz?

October 6, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Amy

LOL!!! portalpunk likes it in his portalpooper. He's been abused all his life. He doesn't have any friends and only gets attention here. Don't feel sorry for him though, he's into self-abuse.

October 6, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • portalpunk

I still get more comments that this stupid article, drumrolll please..... bbbbrrrddddp I'm the portalpunk, the one who has the funk, I am can up rhymes like the pope can commit crimes, my threads are so hip that it makes you want to hop, if you want to make fun, then its only cause your dum, I hope you like my jive cause when my record goes platnum, you'll still be postin like a has been.

October 6, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • @portalpooper

No dweep. The people aren't laughing with you, they're laughing AT you because you're a total loser. Don't forget to look both ways when crossing the street to get on the short bus to school. I hear they're serving mac and cheese in the lunch room today. Of course, you can always have all you can eat at your part-time job at Burger Kink. Moron!

October 6, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |