Zack Snyder tapped to direct 'Superman'
October 5th, 2010

Zack Snyder tapped to direct 'Superman'

As Warner Bros. searched for a director for the new "Superman" movie, filmmakers like Darren Aronofsky ("Black Swan"), Ben Affleck, Matt Reeves ("Let Me In") and Tony Scott ("The Taking of Pelham 123") were all reportedly in talks for the job, but it turns out that “300’s” Zack Snyder is the one who snagged it, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Snyder - a darling among comic book fans, having also directed "Watchmen" and the upcoming Comic-Con crowd pleaser, "Sucker Punch" - told THR that Superman's "character deserves to be loved. It’s his time.”

The new “Superman” has David Goyer writing the script and Christopher Nolan producing, and Snyder assures THR that the crew is “moving quick,” tweaking the script a bit more before moving on to the next stage. It's expected that General Zod, best known as the villain from "Superman II," will be the bad guy.

On working with Nolan, who has the same reputation for being a visionary, Snyder said that “In the initial meetings, he’s been super amazingly smart and also amazingly kind, filmmaker-to-filmmaker.”

Snyder added, “I have great respect for him. The process has been amazing so far, and it looks like nothing but pluses.”

Filed under: movies

1. P.A.

As a realistic human being, I look at all of the pros and cons and as much that I can the facts, I feel very strongly that Tom Welling is by far and above the best choice. I also feel that casting him would gain the movie hype and fandom almost immediately. I will state here in the onset that I am not trying to be rude or disrespectful to any of the other actors in the list but I would like to politely be honest, and that being said I will elaborate a little bit on my opinion. I think that the first and most obvious conclusion is that to me, and I would be willing to bet most anyone who does not know any of these actors (or that of most any poll online )

( http://polldaddy.com/poll/3892237/?view=results&msg=voted )

is being entirely honest and true will admit that out of all of the faces in the poll that Tom resembles the comic version the closest. When I first started watching smallville he had a more slender kind of a Pierce Brosnan kind of a look, now he is a bulked up superman looking mature Clark Kent. If you watch season 10 especially episode 4 ( homecoming ), I think anyone who is being honest will say yes that is superman, square jaw, hair, sparkle in his eyes, physique and all. To me has the right eyes for the role, now I am not female so I honestly cant say but I also think that he has the right face that if they play a line in the movie to the extent of, "oh Superman is so cute......," by some female, that welling gives the most believability to that statement. I would like to also say that out of all of the men listed in the polls he has the best current and potential physique: his posture ( straight back, chest out and shoulders back not slouched ), chest (Pecs), and lats ( muscles of the back that create the V shape that everyone sub psychologically associates as well built mans physique ) are in my opinion currently the best, but I will say that he should be just a hair more lean ( only a few body fat percentage (2-5%) , and develop the lats just a little bit more, this is what will create a very well built look, I think the definition created by leanness is important because the public wants a Superman that they will occasionally see with his shirt of throughout the movie and you say wow that is a great six pack and good definition, because in tights you cannot see a six pack (contrary to comic book illustrations), but again the lats are very important to creating the V shape, its what gives the well built and solid look even with clothes on. I feel Welling has the right twinkle/ sparkle in his eye to portray the character, he also has the proper amount of reserve and non conceit to play the role, to me he plays the role to the effect that you say ya this guy could have been raise by honest hardworking farm folk. Lastly as far as looks, Welling's natural skin tone and naturally blueish hazelish greenish eyes lend better and naturally to the traditional bright blue and bright red coloring of Superman, or what you would call warm colors, were as Routh ( again, not being rude ) had naturally brown eyes that require CGI to be blue, and Routh's natural skin tone is more pale thus requiring more of a colder tone of red and blue ( which ended up being more burgundy ), also politely I think that Routh's chin and face are not square enough as I would like, at some angles to me he looks a little baby face, again I am not trying to be rude to anyone, just merely stating my opinion. Also I like the glasses and the non bumbling / idiot Clark of Smallville, I like the way that the glasses don't look dorky. I don't like Kent being portrayed as an idiot, ( yes this did also bug me in the Reeve films ) I want a quite reserved madly in love with Lois respectable Clark Kent! The next thing is the acting capabilities and personality. I as a fan of Smallville will admit that in only a handful (about 3-4 times ) I was not always 100 % happy on Toms acting, but that was many seasons ago, I would say that he has matured past that significantly, and in the last few seasons I have not really seen anything that I didn't like. I like the way that Tom is some what of a quite guy and a little bit reserved, because I want a Superman that is down to business, but is not bland, politely I do feel that Routh was a bit bland, and I feel that Welling has just the right natural demeanor, not uber ADHD-ish outspokenness, but not stoic and wooden. To conclude I will state that there may be an unknown or even a known that I don't know of that might be better, but from my knowledge of known actors I say Welling hands down ( as do almost every poll from the looks of it, to the tune of about 60% of the people or more).

November 1, 2010 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |
  2. scott

I would love to see Tom Welling in the role of Clark Kent/Superman. Rumors are that Snyder wants a 30ish -40 superman...and Welling will be 34 (i think) in 2012 when Man of Steel comes out. If they plan on a 3 picture deal then by the time the third is out he will be close to 40. I love smallville...but they can easily make the transition without necessarily being linked to together. Welling has not only grown as an actor, but he has changed physically over the past 10 years and in my opinion no one out there personifies the role better. In "homecoming" on smallville season 10, we saw a glimpse of the future and saw him as Clark kent.....he looked perfect and commanded more then I think anyone else would or could. I know it's a longshot, but I have heard that Tom Welling is a favorite of Chris Nolan's and with him producing, maybe he will put in his view to cast him as superman. I also heard a rumor, a big one, that Nolan may have an influence on this season of Smallville so that Smallville ends in a way that the movies can take over with Welling without the two being confused........but, prolly just a rumor.

October 26, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Cody

For the people who doubt Tom has no clue and obviously don't watch Smallville. Reeve said himself he'd make a great Superman, Tom is a great actor and has done very well with what he has to work with. Give Tom Welling a shot! Most fans want him!!!! TOM WELLING!!!

October 20, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  4. Cody

I agree, we want Tom Welling, atleast give him a shot. More fans want this than not. He's a great actor and would be perfect for the story they're going for.

October 20, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  5. Christopher James Conner

It seems like the Superman franchise has dropped off considerably since the 80's when compared to every other superhero franchise out there – Spiderman, Batman etc. Superman should be as big as those it seems to me.

October 18, 2010 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  6. Joshua Kerr

My feelings (for what it's worth) on the who should play supes issue. I think it is like the Brosnan-Dalton toss-up for Bond. They went with Dalton and bombed. Then after 2 films they took fans advice and threw out the Brosnan films. From this fan's perspective the battle between fans and producers did nothing but hurt the franchise ultimately, either way. I think that Tom Welling looks like Superman. Routh was awful, and putting him back in would link this movie to Superman Returns and I for one wouldn't bother with the 30.00 it would take to go see it. I would watch Welling in the role, but I do think he should stick with the franchise he is in and they should find someone new for the role. Hint: Big Jaw, & lose the uni-brow and shnoz.

October 18, 2010 at 3:32 am | Report abuse |
  7. ted sarsfield

Tom Welling!!!! read all of the online polls. not one all of them want welling. just give him a shot, just a shot thats all, if you don't like him then go which ever way you want.

October 13, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. tyler

whens the movie releasing

Watch Online movies free

October 10, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. CookieMum

@Posh-Kenneth: agreed, Tom Welling is done and I am happier than sheet that this is Smallville's last season. The CW has almost no shows on right now worth my interest with the exception of Supernatural- its had its ups and downs but it atleast remains interesting. You people have had like 10 seasons of that crappy show and anyone with a brain in their head won't pick Tom Welling for the movie. In fact, I know they won't because they want to make money and I'm sorry but the dude won't bring it in. They need somebody new.

October 6, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • scottgia

I think it's funny when there are non-Welling supporters for superman casting.....because all the non-supporters say I can't stand Smallvlle...stopped watching after season 2....it's in season 10 people....so how can you really be a good judge. Or non-supporters say they are glad smallvill is over.....then clearly you are not a fan and your opinion means jack. Or the best is....he is a terrible actor....WRONG!.......Yes, he wasn't completely well-rounded when he began as clark...but has improved ten fold in his acting and in his ability to personify the role of Clark Kent......I guess the non-supporters also would say that in ten years of being at the job they doing, that they have not improved at all.....of course you wouldn't say that, so why say that about an actor? He looks the role, knows the role, and has a huge fan-base and also, dont forget...works for the WB network, who also are the producers of the Reboot.....makes sense that they cast Welling to me....but I guess non-Welling supporters might be a little slow on the uptake.

December 6, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Posh-Kenneth

Tom Welling people? Really? Hasn't he had his freakin turn already? I'd like to see someone new (if not Brandon Routh). I don't want the 40 year old Tom Welling playing YET AGAIN a Superman younger than he is. He was good for the tv show, he's done what he can for that series (which I haven't watched since like second season, blah).

Then again I won't be crying if its disappointing. I've never been a DC person, always been a fan of Marvel comics. What I'm waiting for is the new X-Men movie and its stellar cast.

October 6, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Will

While I love Smallville and really like Tom Welling, I think he's a bad choice for Superman movies:
    1. He's much to "depressing" overall
    2. He's "Mr. Smallville"....trying to mix the show and the movies is a bad plan, I think.
    3. What's wrong with Brandon Routh?

October 5, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jeremy

Please, oh, please, cast Tom Welling. He is an AMAZING Superman, just watch how well he does JUST Clark Kent on Smallville. He has more potential then every other actor out there!

October 5, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sean

On choosing Mr. Snyder, all I can say is: God has certainly laid a hand! He is definitely one of my favorite directors; his movies are VISUALLY STUNNING!! I have no doubt that he'll do a much better job than Bryan Singer. Go get em Zack!!

October 5, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Workman

Zack Snyder is a great director who did a wonderful job with both 300 and WATCHMEN. Now, if he casts Tom Welling as Superman, he'll make a great Superman film as well.

October 5, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. khocolatemoose

I love most of Zack's films, but I would like to see him venture outside the comic book genre a bit. I would love to see him direct some great action films. He has the ability to portray characters with real emotion, and that is something that missing from that genre right now. That being said, since he and Nolan are working together, I might have to give this a try.

Please feel free to add to the conversation about films at http://khocolatemoose.wordpress.com/

We'd love to hear what you think, and often.

KM

October 5, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jeremy Harris

Mr. Snyder, i hope you do a better job with superman than what Bryan Singer did with Superman Returns and please cast Joe Manganiello as Superman.

October 5, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  17. TW4S

Mr. Snyder,

Please if you read this give Mr. Tom Welling a chance to at least audition for the role, he has been this generations Superman just as Mr. Christopher Reeve was and rather still IS Superman for many fans. However Mr. Welling has played this role the longest than anyone ever and should be given a chance at it..If you were online in 06 and read about the disagreement over on other websites then you know alot of fans wanted Welling for Superman Returns, please we beg you to just give him a shot...He will not let you down, and as a comic book fan you should know the feelings alot of fans have for Tom Welling...

PLEASE TOM WELLING FOR SUPERMAN!!!

October 5, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • James Morrall

I agree, Tom Welling is da man. But you know what these big movie people are like, they will have their own vision, just like they did before and it turned out to be a disaster. For me Smallville has been awesome, an emotional rollercoaster with good characters and stories that at times really push the boundaries and pull at the heart strings, it always looks polished in appearance and i will miss it. The will never get any better actors than Michael Rosenbaum and Glover and don’t forget we have another 15 hours of Smallville to look forward to, at best even if the film franchise goes for 3 films that’s going be 6 hours max, we are always going to have 215+ of brilliant back catalogue to watch.

October 6, 2010 at 4:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Posh-Kenneth

@TW4S & James- yes lets cast a dude that only pulls in 3 million viewers or less a week in a huge 100+ million dollar budget movie so only... 3 million people can see it. (yeah 10th season premiered to a WHOOPING 2.9 Million and dropping as the season goes on! according to nielson and kryptonsite.com)

*pops your dream bubble* sorry but the show is done. The only reason it GOT a 10th season was a. to finish it out and b. its been on for so long. It's time for it to die, but hey, be glad because 10 seasons for something that crappy is rather impressive and I don't know if that says something about the stations loyalty or the audiences inability to watch quality programming.

October 6, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |