'Gilmore Girls' turns 10
October 5th, 2010

'Gilmore Girls' turns 10

“Please, Luke. Please, please, please.”

And with that very first line of dialogue, the premiere episode of “Gilmore Girls” aired exactly 10 years ago today. Our heroine, Lorelai Gilmore was - as she often did throughout the series’ seven-year run – begging for coffee.

Although “Gilmore Girls” ended in 2007, it still experiences renaissances on a continuous loop due to daily airings of re-runs on ABC Family and SOAPnet. With DVD and iTunes sales going strong, it’s no wonder there’s so much buzz about a possible “Gilmore Girls” movie and demand among fans for an eighth season.

I've waxed poetic about the brilliance of the "Gilmore Girls" before,  so I’ll try to stop gushing so much. But earlier today, I spoke to actress Keiko Agena, who played Rory’s BFF Lane Kim.

On shooting the pilot, Agena recalled “being away from home and so excited and loving the script and just filled with hope that everybody would love it as much as we did. We knew it was good but that doesn’t always mean that everybody’s going to like it and that it will be a successful show."

It turns out they filmed in Toronto, "which was just beautiful and really, actually cold instead of the balmy southern California weather which is how we shot the rest of the episodes," Agena said. "That was the only time we had real cold air, the rest of the time it was just snow machines.”

As for what she’s up to these days, the actress said, “Today I’m actually at NASA. We are filming ‘Transformers 3’ and I get to play Frances McDormand’s assistant so that’s been a lot of fun.” She's also apparently channeling her inner Jim Henson, and is taking puppetry classes at Puppet School and gearing up for a December show. Calling it her “new obsession,” Agena said she’s “crazy in love” with puppetry.

I also had a chance to speak to Aaron Berman, author of the upcoming book “The Gilmore Girls Companion,” which is an unauthorized behind-the-scenes look at the making of the show and features 40 interviews with cast and crew members.

“Lauren Graham was the last one to be cast,” said Berman. (At the time, she was contractually obligated to a series called “MYOB” which wound up not getting picked up.)

According to Berman, a “light day” for the main actors was 14 hours. “Sometimes cast members were on-set for as long as 21 hours, and the crew even longer.” Sleep was so scarce that when crew members had an hour to themselves, they ran to the sets that had beds (Lorelai’s room was a favorite).

Berman also provided some other fantastic details:

● The character of Kirk was inspired by Amy's father, Don Sherman, who used to turn up on “Gimme a Break” (and occasionally “Barney Miller”) because he was friends with the producers. He would play a different character each time.

● Most of the jewelry you see Emily Gilmore wearing is Kelly Bishop's own, in particular the gold necklace she often wears. The actress is allergic to costume jewelry and bought the necklace herself for the role. She's only worn it twice since “Gilmore,” both times in stage plays.

● Though "Gilmore Girls" is known for its fast delivery of dialogue ("Life's Short. Talk Fast" being the strapline for the show), a lot of that speed is a result of the editing. As one of the editors said, "if there was a breath of air between Luke saying 'Tomorrow' and Lauren saying 'I’ll be here,' I would take it out."

● Warner Brothers studios' proximity to Burbank Airport resulted in having to halt the taping of scenes so as not to record the sound of passing planes.

● The motor oil that Gypsy deals with on set (and occasionally gets on her) is steak sauce.

“In the end,” said Berman, "‘Gilmore Girls’ remains beloved the world over today because it addresses the absurdities of life, and the imperfections in our relationships with one another, with humor and an understanding of what it is to be human.

There are stereotypes, certainly - Kirk's cluelessness, Taylor's scheming, Emily's disapproving - but every character is also presented as decidedly human. As Lorelai observes of Kirk, ‘it's all any of us wants - to find a nice person to hang out with 'til we drop dead. Not a lot to ask." Amen.

Post by:
Filed under: television

1. Someday

Someday is a song recorded by Barbra Streisand. I think will listen too it and reflect.

October 10, 2013 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  2. kimberleyholiver

As a die-hard GG fan, I had to read "Someday, Someday, Maybe." I loved it! Stop by Our Blog Around the Corner to find out why!

October 10, 2013 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  3. seo

Get more organic guests with150 .Edu Backlinks for a extraordinary cost just $1! seo http://fiverr.com/twnseobacklink

April 25, 2013 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  4. genia and april

I loved the Gilmore Girls because I could relate because of being a single parent to a girl also. April was actually pretty and smart like Rory, but I could only wish I looked like her Mom. Loved Carol King music also.

October 28, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. portalpunk

Really, I'm just a useless troll with nothing better to do than attempt to sound intelligent on these boards. I'm not. I'm a self-abusing little child that still lives with my mommy and hides in the basement to avoid real people, especially girls. I also like to be the first one to post on a story so I can say FIRST and act like a moron. It makes my tiny little weewee hard.

October 7, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sandy

I wanna know the last line! While watching some of the behind the scenes stuff on the DVD's, they talk about how they are comfortable with where the show is going, and know it will be good because Amy S-P has the last line of the show already figured out. Being that Amy S-P wasn't there for the last season, they obviously didn't use her line. I would love to know how she planned to close out the show.

October 7, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Judy

I love the show as well, but I don't share the criticism of the writers of Season 7. If you will recall, Amy and Dan wrote season 6 and ended it with Lorelei in bed with Christopher. That was the material the new writers were left with. I think they wrapped it up as well as ithey could. I would definitely go to a Gilmore Girls' movie. Hope it happens. I too have all the DVDs. Watched the very first Pilot episode and was hooked all those years ago!

October 7, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. she

A Gilmore Girls the movie would be amazing. I'll die a happy fangirl if we see Jess again.

October 7, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  9. Deez Nutz

I always wanted to frack rory.

October 7, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  10. beenz

I miss it. What does the CW offer now? Season 14 million of ANTM, Gossip Girl, etc? Pass! Lauren Graham has moved on to 'Parenthood', which I really like so far.

Maybe they should do a spinoff..would love to see Miss Patti and Babette in an upated Golden Girls, or something following Lane's family. Maybe we'd finally get to see her dad!

October 7, 2010 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  11. CoffeeGirl

The first 6 seasons were a good show, the last year was an atrocity. How anyone thought the show could continue without Amy Sherman Palladino is beyond me. It was so unwatchable, I quit watching. I have no idea how the show ended and we certainly don't need a movie. It was good and the studio killed it. End of story.

October 7, 2010 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  12. akasunday

Hasn't been a show like it since: something you could watch with your kid that doesn't dummy you down or embarrass you. You had to familiar with all the literary and cultural references to "get" some of the dialogue, and you felt smarter for that. At the same time it's portrayal of dysfunctional family relationships and search for that elusive romantic "package" remains universal and timeless. And it was funny too. What do we have how? Gossip Girl? Another teenage vampire? And they said Stars Hollow wasn't realistic!

IA if they do a movie, make it a tv movie and make sure Amy Sherman-Palladino is in charge. The last season was a inferior facsimile.

October 6, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. MIke

Three TV seasons without Gilmore Girls ... now there's something to celebrate!

October 6, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. JT

As a guy who discover this "chick-flick" show in syndicated reruns, I've recently become a big fan. Having grown up in the burbs and done the prep school thing, there's something about this show's characters that rings true. I went to school with lots of girls like Rory & Lane who's parents or grandparents were like Emily and Richard. While it's now become a cliche to have precocious teens spouting satirical and metaphorical dialogue in films and on TV (see Juno), Gilmore Girls set the standard for this brand of repartee. It simply has some of the best written dialogue of any show on TV in recent memory.

October 6, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. GG Fan!!

I love how you love GG on this blog! Now enough with the talking and get people signing contracts for a movie or 8th season! The show was the best and I miss Alexis, Lauren, Scott and yes even Kirk! <3

The ending definitely needs to be re-dressed. Did Keiko mention a movie possibility? Funny that this was posted today cuz for some reason the entire day I've been giggling at Mrs Kim's "you break you buy" policy.

The show was the best!

October 6, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  16. rashid

Women's show. Horrible, script tried to be so clever. My wife would watch it, I would go and . . . do anything. Just thinking of that show makes me want to leave the room.

October 6, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • @rashid

With a name like rashid, you're lucky you can even tie your own shoes let alone comprehend the dialog on this show.

October 7, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Megan

I NEED A GILMORE GIRLS MOVIE! I watch the series over and over because there's not a perfect ending. Give us a perfect ending!!!

October 6, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  18. jabba the hut

The gilmore girls were hot, dreamed about them everynight.

October 6, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  19. MnM

Loved the show! Thinking of starting an online signature drive to bring it back on TV.

October 6, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • GGFan

This show has such a huge following, u'd get a lot of signatories... Do so please and post the link here and everywhere ;)

October 6, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Kel

Gilmore Girls is my FAVORITE show EVER!! I watch every re-run. I love this show & am so glad I can see the re-runs every week!

October 6, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Susan

I AM a huge fan of GG. I own all the seasons and STILL watch the reruns whenever I can.

October 6, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Sussay

I love and miss GG's. Odd how the quality of TV has gone downhill since GG's started, rather than improved.

October 6, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Sheryl

The last season wasn't my favorite because Amy Palidino (spelling) wasn't apart of it, which is why the ending seriously sucked. If she wrote the movie, I would definitly go see it.

October 6, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  24. antiCNN

Why do I have the feeling that CNN id owned by the same parent company that distributes this sad show?
    Hey let's celebrate the birthday of a show that isn't even on the air and only aired a couple of years, yay....

October 6, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • HEYDUMMY

The show was on for 7, that's SEVEN seasons. Speak out of your butt much?

October 6, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • @HEYDUMMY

Is that relevant to the point... Dummy.

October 6, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • @@HEYDUMMY

Yes, it is. Seven seasons is a lot more than a couple. Read much buttmunch?

October 6, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • @HEYDUMMY@@HEYDUMMY

I think hte original statement had to do with CNN pushing an out of circualation show as news. Now all you d0uchbags shut up

October 6, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • HEYDUMMY

No, the original post was making a lame attempt to put down this show by stating it didn't deserve the attention because it was only on for a "couple" of seasons. You're complete lack of comprehension of this only shows that you are just as stupid as antiCNN is.

October 7, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  25. Melanie

Loved the show! I miss it and wish it were still on..young girls need more wholesome, strong tv characters..not Gossip Girl, The Hills and their like

October 6, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Michael

My slogan for an eighth season was, "Save The Two Girls. Save Television." It turned out I was right with all the lousy stuff that's on today.

October 6, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  27. MS

Slow news day CNN?

Gilmore Girls was never good IMO. Neither was 7th Heaven or most of the other garbage the WB ever put on air.

October 6, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Boof

I just had a ham and swiss sandwich for lunch.

October 6, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Jackson

For my next vacation, I want to book a room at the Dragonfly Inn!

October 6, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

For my next vacation, I'm going ot hit you with a tennis racket!

October 6, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jackson

Wow, that is really sad. Tell me, do you respond to anyone with a different opinion than you by resorting to physical violence? I am not sure whether to laugh at you or pity you.

October 7, 2010 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
    • KR

There isn't a Dragon Fly Inn. but Stars Hollow was based off the town of Washington Depot in Connecticut and Washington has the number one Inn in CT which the Dragon Fly was based off of, it's called The Mayflower Inn. It is a very cute town, I went to high school there. I would recommend going to check it out.

October 8, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  30. MDC

Good job Katie! Hope Amy and Co. get into a good project soon.

October 6, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  31. lala

Movies tend to ruin otherwise good series. The only way it would be worth watching is if Amy Sherman-Palladino would be involved. That was the major problem with the final season. She was the heart and soul of the show and without her the story line was just running through the motions. I was always disappointed with the way the relationship ended between Rory and Logan. I don't watch TV for the realistic 'everybody leaves' commentary on daily life. I like the idealistic happy ending since it rarely happens anywhere but on TV.

October 6, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Courtney

Nice I love Gilmore girls I feel old now!!

October 6, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Head Diva In Charge

This was a great show. I actually have some really great memories while watching with my Mom (awwww).

October 6, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gimme Some Head Diva In Charge

Thanks, you just made me puke up my lunch.

October 6, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  34. RainyDay

Please no movie!!! It will ruin the franchise the way that the SATC movies have ruined that franchise.

October 6, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  35. KK

I hope they do make a movie. I love that show!

October 6, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  36. T-2000

As horrible as the "Gab-more Girls" were, they were Citizen Kane compard to TV today which is dominated by so called reality shows.

October 6, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  37. Allison Bee

If there's a movie, I want it to be about Kirk and have a plot along the lines of Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. Rory wore out her welcome around season 4-5 and Lorelai wore hers out in season 7.

October 6, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  38. Raving Lunatic

I always thought Rory should have had a lesbian fling with Paris. Now that would have shook up things in Stars Hollow.

October 6, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  39. MCB

I miss it. I miss it. I miss it. I miss it. I miss it!!!! Great show, great characters and even greater actors.

October 6, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  40. amanda

I love the gilmore girls! I have them all on dvd.... but that said... no movie it would take away from the greatness of the show, yes it would be nice to know of rory ended up with jess and if lorelali and luke get back together but thats what makes the shows ending great your mind gets to choose how they all ended up

October 6, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • amtheone

I agree Amanda, I love that TV show and would love to see what has happened to all the people in Stars Hollow. I watch the ruruns everyday.

October 6, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Sammy

I <3 <3 <3 Gilmore Girls! One of the best shows ever!

October 6, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  42. elizabeth

i'd love a movie if alexis bledel isn't part of it. she can't act and her character was so annoyingly perfect and unrealistic. if it focuses on emily, lorelai, and luke, i'm in!

October 6, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • @elizabeth

Rory was anything but perfect. A whiner? Maybe, but she lost her virginity to her married ex-boyfriend and broke up his marriage then dumped him for a bad-boy college dork. Then, she gets busted for stealing a boat. Then, she moves in with her bad-boy college dork. Perfect.....I don't think so.

October 6, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • elizabeth

those are all momentary lapses of judgment, though. every teenager has those. when i say she was perfect, she didn't have any character flaws. she was kind, friendly, smart, moral... she was too perfect. a good character needs flaws and rory didn't have any.

October 6, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • @elizabeth

I find your idea of morality questionable. Sleeping with a married man isn't very moral. Neither is stealing.

October 6, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • elizabeth

she felt badly later about both things, indicating that she has a moral conscience. i'd agree with you if she just did those things and didn't care, but she had a conscience about them.

October 6, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • @elizabeth

Honestly have you seen whats on tv? At least GG portrayed Rory as someone who stuck her head in a book every so often! Most of these teen shows are filled with characters who get into big name schools for College yet spend their entire high school years dating/partying and getting up to ills (ex: Gossip Girl and The OC to name a couple). Gilmore girls was plenty more realistic in this aspect than most of what I've seen on tv.

October 6, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Megan

Oh come on. I liked this show as much as any 16-year-old girl at the time that it aired, but we do not need a movie or an eighth season. The sixth and seventh seasons were painful enough what with Rory constantly whining about her boyfriend's wealth and Lorelei vacillating between Luke and Christopher. It wasn't about the mother-daughter bond anymore, it was the same as all those other CW shows – boring relationship drama. Leave it alone.

October 6, 2010 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • AmbiguousToilet

Maybe they can take a cue from Dallas and have the eighth season start with Lorelai waking up at the exact point where the fifth season left off. IT WAS ALL A DREAM

October 6, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Dolly

I agree that the last two seasons were disappointing. Rory's character seemed more mature in High School. As for those who say that the characters are unrealistic, my daughter and I have enjoyed a similar relationship. Still watch the show in reruns whenever I can.

October 6, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  44. jennifer726

Still one of my favorite shows of all time....can't wait to watch it with my daughter...i still DVR it every day on ABC Family!!!!

October 6, 2010 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  45. El Jefe

Those two chicks should just make out and get it over with, a la Family Guy style...

October 6, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • amara

I love the gilmore girls i was devastated when it ended but at least we have daily reruns. I hope they do make a movie i will be first in line i love Lorelai and Rory

October 6, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave Long

I saw that episode, it was funny

October 6, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  46. @saganhill@saganhill

You shut up, idiot!!

October 6, 2010 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  47. saganhill

WHO are the gilmore girls?

October 6, 2010 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  48. Grendel

Loved this show! But as my then young teenaged daughter used to tell me, "mom, their relationship isn't reality – that isn't the way it really is between a mom and a daughter".

October 6, 2010 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
    • kk

I would love to beg to differ- My daughter and i get compared to the Gilmore girls all the time and i would agree 100%

October 6, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Prabha Arora

I used to tell the same to my daughter...it was possible only in a serial.

October 6, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Catherine

My 15 year old daughter and I have watched it for years together, and it very much reflects our own relationship. Now that it's in reruns we're watching all over again, we find it comforting at the end of a tough day to have that to look forward to.

October 6, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meli

I have to disagree as well... my daughter and I also are compared to the Gilmore Girls........ We absolutely loved this show... it was so refreshing and touching. We miss it terribly... my daughter has every season on dvd so we can have Gilmore weekends when the weather turns nasty. PLEASE... make a movie with a better ending!!!!!!!!!!!

October 6, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  49. holly

love love love the show wish it was still on.Pay alot to see a movie that gave it a better ending .

October 6, 2010 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  50. Jess

Loved the show! I was so sad when it went off the air. I'm home on maternity leave and watch it every day.

October 5, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Judy

My boyfriend and I have all the season on DVD and we watch 1 or 2 episodes every day while we have our coffee and it just gives me a great feeling. The emotions the show invokes are very real.

October 7, 2010 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
  51. Chris

Godawful show. SO glad it's off the air. Nothing but those two women TALKING TALKING TALKING. About NOTHING. You wanted to strangle them. Or change the channel. Which is what I did.

October 5, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unlikely Oilfield Wife

You hated the show. You turned the channel. Yet you clicked on the story, read it, and commented. Interesting.

October 6, 2010 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Faith

I just LOVE how certain people who claim to hate a show (or anything else for that matter), take the time to read AND comment on an article concerning it. I don't waste my time or commenting on things I don't like. I think most people would agree with me when I say, "If you don't like it, so what? This article was written for those of us who do."

October 6, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • BobS

I have to agree. This show sets a new low standard for communication and script writing. But hey, some people like the rapid-fire strung-out gabbing where each character waits to talk. That's fine, but I can't stand to be around people who are like that in real life and I'm sure not going to watch a show where this kind of communication is accepted.

Oh, and for the comment "If you don't like it, so what? This article was written for those of us who do.". I didn't see where it said the article was only written for people who liked the show. Can you show me where it says that? I can accept those who like the show, but that doesn't mean I have to stay silent.

October 6, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • PoppyLaine

Typical Chris, No wonder Lorelai left you!!

October 28, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • OhPenelope!

PoppyLaine... right?! haha

Bob... aren't there other things you could be doing with your time, like jeez, I don't know... reading articles that are about your interests???

October 28, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  52. B--Dog

Let's have an article every time a tv who has a birthday..... How old would gunsmoke be? da da da da da da da bonanza!

October 5, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Courtney

I <3 Gilmore GIRLS

October 5, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • B

The show was good, but you can't say it "turned 10" when its been off the air for three years. I know they just recently did that with the Flintstones' 50th anniversary but that was wrong too. You can say it would have been 10 today if it was still on – kind of like how people talk about Elvis's birthday.

October 6, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Conner Macleod

@B, actually an anniversary does not mean that whatever event began back then has to still be ongoing, it merely means that was when the event occurred. Take a look at 9/11 for example, we as a nation recently observed it's 9th anniversary but that does not mean that the terrorist attack is still occurring.
      So yes, this is the official 10th anniversary of 'Gilmore Girls'. Anniversary can also mean the celebration of an event, not just the date itself.
      Excellent show, here's hoping for movies to be made based on the show! :)

October 6, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jackie O'Conner

I love GG! I wish the show would get back on the air, or make a GG movie (could go straight to DVD). I love the writing; very Kevin Smith-ish.

October 6, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adi Penn

Three Words: Gilmore Girls Movie

October 7, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • NATALIA RODRIGUEZ

what do we have to do to make it happen?? Are you producers, tv show managers, film makers everyone BLIND? Gilmore Girls still being rebroadcasting again and again and again since 2007 around the world so ......

October 11, 2010 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |