'Real Housewives of D.C.' on 'Nation Building'
October 1st, 2010

'Real Housewives of D.C.' on 'Nation Building'

They may call it “Nation Building,” but I call it "Party Crashing."  Yes, this is the episode where they finally (sort of) get to the big crash, the White House state dinner.

Lynda is casting for a fashion show by a designer from Burkina-Faso. For some reason it amuses me that she checks her astrological chart before she goes to the show, but what was really funny is that she had the Salahis’ picture posted with security to make sure they don’t show up for Lynda’s event.  She knows how they are about showing up places they aren't invited.  Perhaps they were practicing for the big show.

For the real issue of the night, Stacie is getting ready to contact a biological sibling who doesn’t know he has a sister, much less a black sister.

Stacie and her husband send a Facebook message and leave Jason’s contact info. When he doesn’t answer after a few days, they discuss other ways to find her birth father. They go to the Nigerian embassy looking for help and it turns out they went to the right woman. Stacie has a picture of her father, and the embassy official  noticed the clothing he’s wearing means he’s got a high position in his village. It turns out he’s also from the capital of her home state. She seems pretty confident she can help Stacie find her father.

The producers are big on leading up to the state dinner event. Cat and Charles discuss the invitation they have to the White House Christmas party, and Cat, Mary and Lynda bring up the Black Caucus dinner Michaele and Tareq crashed.  Maybe if they had dropped some of the chatter about invitations, we could have gotten to the good stuff.

No, we don't actually make it to the White House dinner tonight.  We see Michaele and Tareq on some high-roller night out.  We hear them talk about how much they love each other, what their big plans are for the future and their polo cup thing.  They finally start discussing the state dinner, which they infamously crashed.

I love how the show plays the dramatic music while Michaele talks about being humble and about wanting to be invited back to the White House (don’t hold your breath, chick).  When her hair dresser asks to see the invitation, she runs off to find it and she can’t.  You hear the producer asking where it is and if she lost it.  Tareq says you don’t need the actual invitation, and Michaele leaves it at that.  It might be a keepsake, but personally, I would put a chain on it and wear it around my neck for everyone to see, so as not to annoy the security people who carry guns.  Michaele spent more time trying to wrap the sari than she did worrying about the lack of invitation.  And she still had it on wrong.

We don’t get to see the good stuff until next week.  They are working this for all it's worth.  I just want to hear what it was they said and did to get into the dinner.  What about you?  Are you at all interested anymore, or did they lose you a long time ago?

Post by:
Filed under: television • TV recaps

1. s

Yawn

October 4, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  2. Robin

These RH shows are quite entertaining. I would prefer the eliminate Atlanta. The shows is call "Real Houswives" and over half of the Atlanta "characters" are not housewives. Please take Atlanta off the air!!!

October 4, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  3. RE

I so agree with JC and find this show really boring. These ladies say they don't gossip but that's all they do. Michaele and her husband look so happy together and I don't get why the other ladies are always on thier case. Especially Lynda, she needs to mind her own business.

October 4, 2010 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Julia

Are you for real?! Michaele & Tareq Salahi are delusional sociopaths who threatened national security and our President by crashing the White House State Dinner. They were not invited. period. Why else plead the 5th before Congress? They are nothing but liars through and through...

October 6, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JC

Frankly, I think HW of DC is one of the most boorning of the entire Housewive's franchise. I only started watching because I really like the Atlanta, NJ and NY HW's, so I wanted to give them a chance. I don't expect DC to be on for a long time, shoot, I'll be surprised if it comes back on next year!!!

October 4, 2010 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  5. D

The Sarahi's are con artists who lie through their teeth. I think that Tareq is a sociopath and Michaele is an attention seeking gold digger along for the ride, helping her husband con people so that he continues to spend money on her. I think that the women are much to into other peoples lives and gossip more than any of the other housewives. I like only Cat-she's seems to be the only straighfoward honest one and tell it like it is, God forbid she points out the elephant in the room to try and clear the air...

October 4, 2010 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  6. Anita

I hope that Stacey's Mom is exposed by her son. It's unexcuseable to keep a child from her father because of your own selfishness. Frankly, I would like to see who she is...

October 3, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  7. Melissa

With the exception of the Sarahi's, I like this show better than any other of the RH franchise. These women are actually able to speak pretty intelligently on a subject and its not all about what they have and how much money, blah blah blah. They actually seem to have a connection with their children and try and live normal lives. I know some people hate Cat, but I have to say, I'm a 27 year old version of her. She shoots it straight and doesn't care. Loved her when she had High Tea with Edwina. Get the Sarahi's out of Washington and ban them to their broke ass vineyard please!!!!!

October 3, 2010 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  8. khocolatemoose

Why do we watch shows like this? Is it because we love watching violent train wrecks similar that these people instigate; therefore, they make us feel better about our own lives? Anyway, I think Salahis belong in jail. In the process of feeding their need for constant attention, they embarrassed our nation and refused to speak about it in front of Congress. But instead of going to jail, they got a reality show. Great.

Feel free to add to the conversation about films at http://khocolatemoose.wordpress.com/

We'd love to hear your opinion, and often.

KM

October 2, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  9. Esther

Who did the jewelry for the fashion show?It was beautiful!!!!!!!

October 1, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Denise

Tareq and Michaele are slimier than a snake in crisco. They knew damn well there was no invitation but they rely on pleading ignorance. I wouldn't even give them the time of day and I would be interested to see if they'll continue to be on RH of DC. They're criminals through and through.

October 1, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |