Legendary actor Tony Curtis has died
September 30th, 2010

Legendary actor Tony Curtis has died

Actor Tony Curtis has died, a rep for his daughter, Jamie Lee Curtis, confirms to CNN. He was 85.

In a statement, the actress says: "My father leaves behind a legacy of great performances in movies and in his paintings and assemblages. He leaves behind children and their families who loved him and respected him and a wife and in-laws who were devoted to him. He also leaves behind fans all over the world. He will be greatly missed.."

Curtis starred in more than 140 major motion pictures and was nominated for an Oscar for his performance in 1958's  "The Defiant Ones" with Sidney Poitier.

The Associated Press reports that the Clark County Coroner's office confirms that Curtis died at his home last night of a cardiac arrest.

Curtis also is known for his roles in the 1959 movie "Some Like it Hot" with Marilyn Monroe and Jack Lemmon and "Spartacus" in 1960 with Kirk Douglas.

He was born in New York City in 1925 as Bernard Schwartz and grew up poor in the Bronx.

Married five times - most notably to actress Janet Leigh - he was the father of actress Jamie Lee Curtis.

Filed under: Celebrities

1. marie

i guess just about everything has been said about tony that could be said . we all enjoyed mr, curtis so much it's just hard to believe . such a waste . well i'm sure he's looking down with those beautiful eyes of his and smiling that great smile knowing how much he will be missed .....hollywood hit gold when tony walked into town .

October 19, 2010 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  2. samuel brown

A great actor and agood man

October 1, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Frank

RIP, Tony! My condolences to the family!

September 30, 2010 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. lucia

para sempre vou lembrar dele com seus ótimos filmes e atuações pois a primeira vez que o vi no filme tinha apenas 9 anos e ele me acompanhou na minha infancia, adolescencia e grande parte da minha vida até mesmo depois de casada. Não vou dizer adeus porque você está no meu coração hoje e sempre.muita paz !!

September 30, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ken McIntyre

He seemed like such a nice, honorable cheerful, sincere, loving guy. He's one of those people you're sorry you never got to meet.
    Live on Bernie!
    ~
    Ken McIntyre,
    Wytheville, Virginia

September 30, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. THERESA

THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER TONY CURTIS. REST IN PEACE.

September 30, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ronald Clidence

Although I didn't agree with his life style,he was a great star and brings back many memories of seeing him in action in the movies of the 50's.RIP

September 30, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. tony

hollywood lost a great actor, the world lost a great man!

September 30, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Nick

I got to meet him a few years ago, and blogged about it just a few weeks ago. Lovely man & fabulous actor.

September 30, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. kittybling

It's so true...we are losing our hollywood greats....what is there to live for???

September 30, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  11. Cathy

This makes me sad.....I know we can't live forever.....but we seem to be losing so many great ones lately. Say what you want – but there just isn't the same type of "star power" as there was back in the day with the likes of Tony Curtis, Kirk Douglas, Charlton Heston, John Wayne....and so many more!! I loved Mr. Curtis in "Some Like It Hot" - one of my all time favs - "Operation Petticoat" - "The Great Race" - he was a great actor. He truly will be missed. God Bless the Curtis family.

September 30, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  12. CMDR_Dave

I'm Spartacus

September 30, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  13. Ron F - Columbus

A few years ago, I meet Tony Curtis in Spago, an LA restaurant. I introduced him to my two sons and he introduced us to his wife to be. I had never met him before, but I felt like he was a lifelong friend, not because of his many movies (that I loved and grew up with), but because he was so friendly, down to earth and easy to talk to.
    We spent about a half an hour chatting and he seemed to enjoy it as much as we did. I will remember it forever. And, about his movies...he told us that he loved making them all. You could tell how special he was and I will miss him. Thank you Tony for that terrific evening and for a lifetime of legendary work.

September 30, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  14. NC

Who will carry on his telethon ?

September 30, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  15. Norm

Always liked his movies. He was a great actor. This guy must have had one heck of a great life.
    He was also a very "pretty" man.
    RIP Tony...and thanks!

September 30, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  16. don smiley

a truly, truly great actor. His known versatility, showmanship, acting capabilities, and presence made him a true acting icon. He will be eternally missed. "Some Like it Hot" is one of my favorite movies as well as a lot of the fans of Tony. (Jack looked a shade better in drag, but Tony's acting was dead on!) My heartfelt sympathy to the entire Curtis family.

September 30, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  17. Leonard, J.

I loved everything he worked on. Now, I have to try and get every movie he participated in. I think we shared the same bithday-June 3rd. My condolences to his family. Rest in PEACE MR. CURTIS!

September 30, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  18. Robert Mark Megna

Few people know about the beautiful Tree of Life in memory of Hungarian Jewish holocaust victims behind the
    Dohany /great Synagogue in Budapest, Hungary. Its silver leaves bear the names of hundreds of Jewish people who died during those terrible times. It is a unspeakiably moving and beautiful! Tony Curtis, may you rest in God's peace! You were a fine actor, a great humanitarian and a righteous man !

September 30, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  19. matt

So long Lt. Holden...thanks for the memories.

September 30, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  20. Tommy of Brooklyn

As a fellow New Yorker, I was always proud of your work, God Bless you Tony and thank you for the wonderful entertainment, you made me feel great watching your career – God Speed

September 30, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  21. dobbs

He great in The Flintstones cartoon.

September 30, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  22. Massive Marbles

He was a legend, my condolences to the family. RIP Mr. Curtis, Jamie, Kelly...I'm so sorry girls...

September 30, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  23. Nique

I can't believe he's gone but will b missed & now I must watch "Some Like It Hot"!!!

September 30, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  24. Nordie

"Yonduh lies the castle of my fodduh the king." Classic! And great fun.

September 30, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  25. JJ

Sad, the world has lost another great actor. What a legacy! My condolences.

September 30, 2010 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  26. John Verco

85 years-of-age seems to be the new average age for death by natural causes (for a man). We may expect to see more famous people dying soon in the next couple of months then.

September 30, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  27. JM Boyer

My deepest condolences to his family. He was a true gem. Thank you Mr. Curtis for shining so bright. May you rest in peace.

September 30, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  28. Bob R.

How sad, I acually met T. Curtis at Newark airport in the eary 70s on my way to San Diego, on leave from the Navy. Was a gentleman then, And Im sure he remained a gentlemen all his Life, Thanks for your talents,,

September 30, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  29. Heinz Studer

My condolences to the family, I am going to miss you Tony, was nice to see you at Café Roma in Beverly Hills, in the "old days", you were a good entertainer. Heinz

September 30, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  30. Paul M

My two most favorite movies by Tony Curtis was "The Great Imposter" and "Tarus Bulba" Very sad to see that he has passed away.

September 30, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  31. jeff b

it's a very sad day for us' he will always be in our hearts. for me his greatest movie was houdini' i've watched
    it dozens of times. rest in peace tony curtis.

September 30, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  32. heidi

Some Like It Hot, and Great Race are my two favorite movies from that era. When Tony was dressed in all white during the pie fight, and didn' get a crumb on him until the very end cracked me up. He and his tallent will be missed!

September 30, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  33. PAtsy

I think I got around the Around the World in 80 Days, an GReat race mixed up? But I seem to recall Tony did do Around the world to ? My meories mixing up, LOL !

September 30, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  34. William

It`s very sad to see one of the great cinima icons gone. His presence will be felt forever in his work.

September 30, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  35. Jason D.

My condolences to the family. He will always be remembered. Thats one thing about being in movies and pictures, he will live on through them and enspire more people and our children. Thank You!

September 30, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  36. kelvin

He would alway's remain in my heart love you till the end

September 30, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  37. Andrea B

A wonderful actor who will be missed! I remember meeting him with my family at The New York Palace – he was charming. Condolences to the Curtis family. Rest in peace.....

September 30, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  38. Jania

So sad to know of our loss of Tony Curtis.His comedy was a wonderful gift. At least we have his. Movies to enjoy again and again. Deepest sympathy to the family.

September 30, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  39. Patsy

My condolences to his family, friends, an fans...

HE was sO HAndsome.. I loved to watch him in his movies, EspeACially the ones with his wife JAnet Leigh. The movies I always recall best are, around the world in 80 days, an The one where He an JAck Lemon dresss in Drag as women ! HElarious, An Tony MAde a PERty woman..LOL !

Forever a fan Of Tony Curtis !

September 30, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  40. Roberta, Roy, Betty, and Ben

Awwww... Jamie.. I'm so sorry. We loved your parents and you as well. I lost my dad Jul of 06' at 80 yo. Your dad was a great man! Thanks for sharing him with us!

September 30, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  41. kelvin

He would always remain in my heart love you till the end

September 30, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  42. Victoria

He was extremely handsom and talented. He will always live on in his films as a young, vibrant man. God bless you and yours. See ya at the movies!

September 30, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  43. roy uk

influenced and adored by ppl he never ever even new including myself hes not gone just passed on his movies keep him in our hearts

September 30, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  44. Shirl

He was a beautiful man and great actor. He will be truly missed. Rest in peace Tony.

September 30, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  45. Fredcamb

RIP Mr. Curtis. Thank you for the memories!

September 30, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  46. Valerie

"Judy, Judy, Judy"............I still laugh!

RIP and thank you for entertaining us Tony!

September 30, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Mama Jo

yeah, he didn't say Judy, Judy, Judy....that would be Cary Grant, who actually didn't say it either...RIP Mr. Curtis, you will be missed. My condolences to his family.

September 30, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  47. Jacob Heitkamp

Wow, I loved this man – Remember "Some Like it Hot" – "The Great Race" and so many more –
    May he rest in that place for all great men

September 30, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  48. Bill , San Diego ,califonia

Hopefullt TCM will do a marathon this weekend or soon and play some of the films that didn't get much playtime. he made alot of good movies, but some not seen as much as others. Traggic loss of a very veritle actor

September 30, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  49. Colleen

My favorite Tony Curtis movie was "The Great Race". So funny, I laugh until I cry every time I see it. Wish it were better known! So many great memories of watching that with my mom and sister. Thanks, Tony! Condolences to his family.

September 30, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  50. Bob

I always liked Tony in The Great Race. My Dad and I laughed so hard everytime we watched it. God Bless you Tony.

September 30, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  51. Mark L.

My deepest, utmost heartfelt condolences go out to Jamie Lee Curtis and the entire Curtis family. No doubt – Tony Curtis was a true, legendary Hollywood actor and he will be very sorely missed. May Tony Curtis forever rest in everlasting eternal, heavenly peace.

September 30, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  52. Pat

Condolescences to the family. Actors of that era leave a lasting influence on people. Sad to see another great pass.

September 30, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  53. Jason

An extremely talented man, with an extraoridnary life and career. Rest in peace, Mr. Curtis!

September 30, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  54. w7rkd

He was a brilliant actor! Sad to see another great leave us.

September 30, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  55. clevercandi

My condolences to the family. RIP, Tony. One of the funniest actors ever. "Some Like it Hot" is one of my favorite all-time movies.

September 30, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |