PDA problems on 'Modern Family'
September 30th, 2010

PDA problems on 'Modern Family'

A group of Facebook users clamored for it, and so it finally happened on Wednesday night's episode of "Modern Family:" Cameron and Mitchell kissed. But if you turned your head or even blinked, you might have missed it.

It took place in the background very quickly, a very understated handling of it in the tradition of this show, which always tries - for the most part - to ground itself in reality.

Why hadn't we seen them kiss before? Well, it turns out that Mitchell is not a big fan of public displays of affection, while Cameron loves them ("Gays don't high-five!"). Among several places where Mitchell thinks people shouldn't kiss is a bowling alley. "I almost got a turkey!" Cameron complained. Mitchell also isn't a fan of Cameron's game, "kiss-buggy" (kissing whenever one sees a VW bug).

It all goes back to Jay's lack of affection for his kids, and the show actually put more emphasis on Mitchell awkwardly kissing his father for the first time in years.

Speaking of Jay, he had trouble with both Gloria (missing her grandmother, she struck back at his complaints by forcing him to slap some meat and scream loudly – you had to be there), and Phil, who insisted that he could fix his printer problems (loved Phil's computer "talk-talk-talk" song, and Jay's "beer-beer-beer" response).

In the meantime, Alex is growing up, interested in boys and Claire is having trouble accepting it... and in the midst of all this, it comes out that Claire was arrested while skinny-dipping. Needless to say, that put things into perspective.

It was another brilliant episode, and I really thought the kiss was handled perfectly. At the same time, I think last week provided a few more laugh-out-loud moments. But what did you think? Share your view on video, or in the comments below.

1. Fred

What did Cam say after he fell off the couch? It was very low.

October 6, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Frank

This is ridiculous. So they kissed? So what. What couple doesn't slobber all over each other from time to time. I am tired of straight people talking about 'how nice it was that they didn't throw it in our faces'. What the hell? LGBT people have the right to display affection for each other. GET OVER IT. Is it 'throwing it in our faces' when straight couples swap spit? So stupid.

September 30, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Hannah

I thought this week was better than last week's. My favorite part was Jay screaming while slapping the chicken.

My favorite MF line of all time (so far) was Luke after eating his sister's cookies or whatever: "My mouth feels funny, like at the dentist." Luke is my favorite!!!

Of course, "I just wanna DO you, DO you, do ya wanna DO me, do me?" is a close, close second.

September 30, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. su

I thought it was perfect. Great show. Such a nice relief from cops and reality shows.

September 30, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. fire03

Be Quiet: AMEN !!!

September 30, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Caroline M

I wasn't really into the show but had to give it a chance since it won emmys and they were on oprah.. still not crazy abt the couch talk (fake reality show) still not into that part.. but loved everything else.. love love love the latina.. she makes the show as far as I'm concerned.. great timing..

September 30, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. gottagetgoin

B-E-S-T show E-V-E-R!

September 30, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ha

@freespirit...grammar, dude, grammar

September 30, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. shabaz

I'm sorry I really still cannot see what is funny about this series. I've watched again and again.
    Has culture shifted ? Big Bang Theory, Friends, Seinfeld, Ev. Lvs. Raymond, The Today Show, Leno. Letterman, Will & Grace, How I met your mother, SNL. All these I get and are funny in varying degrees. But Modern Family ? Help !!!! Please tell me what is funny about this show ?
    I saw the Vergara lady in talkshows and she is very funny... but on the show ? Nada!!!

September 30, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • RosaFranklin

I don't *believe* you mentioned any examples of shows that don't tape in from of a live studio audience that laughs with you at each punch line (though I could be wrong). So maybe you just don't care for the style of the show, which doesn't have an audience or a laugh track or anything like that to help viewers laugh at the jokes. For me, I prefer it that way and I LOVE Modern Family, though I certainly also love Friends and TBBT and HIMYM. But plenty of people prefer more traditional sitcoms. It's just personal taste. If you don't find Modern Family funny, don't worry about it. :)

September 30, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Be Quiet

Oh yeah Shabaz, The Today Show is a real knee slapper!

September 30, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sharon

The humor of Modern Family is very subtle. They don't go for the big dumb laugh with the laugh track blaring in the background. You've really got to listen. It's the small remarks that are the most hilarious.

September 30, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hannah

BeQuiet, maybe he means it's funny to watch Kathie Lee Gifford get drunk and be blatantly mean to Hoda at 10 in the morning. lol

September 30, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • shabaz

1. Sorry, did not mean the Today Show, I meant the one with Jon Stewart, the Daily Show ? I watch the global CCN edition. Who is Kathy Lee Gifford ?

2. Regarding the Laugh tracks, I believe quite a few shows like Curb Your Enthusiasm are without laugh tracks ? The one with Larry David ? 30 Rock, Scrubs, Better off Ted, these also have no laugh tracks but are also funny... . The Office also has no laugh track and is very funny, especially the Gervais version.

I'm not dissing Modern Family, in views of Emmys and people's comments I suppose it must be a very good show. I also love the concept of Young / Old marriage, Gay couples and all that and its time for people to wake up to new cultural realities. The actors are very good, the show just does not make me laugh thats all. I wish it did, I feel like such a throwback. ...

Cheers

October 1, 2010 at 2:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Hannah

Kathy Lee Gifford hosts the second hour of The Today Show. She used to co-host Regis and Kathy Lee (duh)...And that's about all she's done with her life.

October 1, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ManuDesi

I missed the kiss buggy game but reading about it made me laugh. Its amazing show. I really like Phil. I think he, Jay, Claire, and Sophia Vergara with the cute gay couple with sweet daughter Lily is what makes this show awesome. Love it!!

September 30, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Darrell

Freespirit, you can disagree with the content and there's nothing wrong with that but as we all know there's a right and a wrong way to go about it.

September 30, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. NOYB

While I agree that the "kiss" shouldn't have been a big deal – ABC marketed the heck out of THE KISS and made it a big deal... then fell short of making it an event. Nevertheless, the show is by far the best comedy on TV.

September 30, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lisa

I nearly teared up when they kissed and I had to rewind it a few times. It was beautiful and natural despite what some might think about gay love.....

September 30, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mommy2Maddox

Raises hand!

September 30, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joyce

Have loved this show since the first episode last year. It has me laughing so hard that I get tears in my eyes, and I've learned to visit the "ladies room" before it starts. Keep up the fantastic work!!

September 30, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Earthquake Jake

Show of hands who thinks "Freespirit" is the gayest member of this thread....

September 30, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Kathi

Like Oprah said yesterday, this is the best comedy to hit TV since the Cosby show~~ I like it even better!

September 30, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Sean

I could not stop laughing as I watched last night's episode. I'm really happy they didn't make a huge spectacle of "the kiss"...genius. As far as the stories, I thought Alex's was really cute and funny (Haley saying Alex's shoes looked like a lesbian's LOL) and Jay had me cracking up while he was screaming and slapping the meat XD. I didn't think it was possible, but I love this show more and more each week! Keep it up!

September 30, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Nugent

There is a definite drop-off so far this season as compared to last year. I also hope the show realizes it is a comedy and not a lifestyle-choice platform. Hope they get things figured out soon.

September 30, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie Hume

It's not as funny as last year, but that bar was incredibly high. It's still pretty great. I agree, I want it to be current and funny, not an obvious platform for political issues. Great casting!
      I don't get the "container" bit. Explain?

September 30, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hannah

Claire was complaining about tupperware and Phil decided to make a joke about it. It was pretty funny.

September 30, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

Phil's sense of humor is so twisted from most people in general, let alone from the rest of the cast, that he answers a lot of rhetorical questions with almost premeditated answers....always. She asked why the number of containers and lids should ever be different and why would they ever get seperated. Phil responded with built up resentment, money issues and a better younger lid as if they were married. He basically created a storyline for the lid and container as separate people......his sense of humor is actually quite genius combined with his delivery. Keep it up writers.

September 30, 2010 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Pj

I thought it was handled in a very tasteful manner. It's called "Modern Family", not "Modern Let Me Try and Please Everyone with a Bug Up" for a reason. If you don't like it, change the chanel and grow up.

September 30, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  21. mattyboy

I LOVE this show. Did anyone catch the last few seconds where phil was gagging over the paint fumes? that was so funny. This show is the highlight of my week (for sitcoms); I'm just sorry I didn't start liking it from the jump. There's a reason why this show got an emmy-because it deserves it!!!

September 30, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  22. wendy brooks

U hav to remember the was kinda a virgin doin it for the first time it wasent suppose to be a big thing he was on uncharted waters so to speak I believe as time goes on they will have a warm romantic kiss but the show was great I love ed oneill

September 30, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Caligirl

Loved the Notting Hill homage when Alex goes to the boy's house. I laughed out loud when he opened the door and his friends were standing there. Hilarious.

September 30, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Lisa

I love this show because even though Cam and Mitchell are a gay couple it isn't in your face. I think everything is very tastefully done and doesn't offend anyone. I watch this with my son and we both laughed out loud at the same scenes. Nothing was embarassing or made me feel uncomfortable. This is a great show with a great cast. Phil's last name should be dumb-phy. He cracks me up!

September 30, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  25. cordobes

Sorry, I meant: Keep it up

September 30, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  26. cordobes

The show is funny (FOR ME). I am kinda sick and tired of watching shows about stupid people. Quip it up!

September 30, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  27. chas

Did anyone else notice that Gloria looked very different in some scenes (very thin in the face)? This was especially obvious in the scenes when she spoke to the camera. Just wondering.

September 30, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  28. tidho

Real progress is not needing to show PDA's. I realy thought this show had gotten that.

We don't need more gay characters on TV we need more charaters that happen to be gay. Meaning its never discussed. Its known or suspected by the viewer, but not part of the plot. We need gay characters that just are people on tv.

September 30, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Shalb

Love the show & the the entire cast. They handled this correctly. The kiss between Jay & Mitchell was really bigger than the one between Cam & Mitchell. My kids love the show & I am thankful that it portrays this gay couple so well. Especially since I am a gay father.

September 30, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Wendy

Loved that show last and always! It's very funny and I love each character! Love the way the kiss was handled!

September 30, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  31. MoJo

This show constantly makes me laugh. The timing is perfect, the situations funny and yet realistic. Having grown up in a house with 2 sisters, the scene last night where Claire is being yelled at by both girls is pretty much spot-on.

The kiss between Cam and Mitch – who cares? Why should two men giving eachother a small peck on the lips cause so much of a stir when hetero couples can be pretty much naked together.

September 30, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wesley

So you condone one wrong with pointing out another? Ummm I think this is where the "two wrongs don't make a right" statement comes in....THANKS MOM ;-)

September 30, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maryann

It's not wrong for two men to kiss, or for couples to be naked. Grow up/

September 30, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hannah

I think what MoJo is saying is why can't the minority group do anything while the majority group can do everything?

September 30, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Ana

you're ugly

September 30, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  33. freespirit

I use to like the show, but the two guys kissing made me want to vomit. I won't watch the show anymore.

September 30, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh

@freespirit: Maybe you should change your name.

September 30, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

Not much of a free spirit are we? This is probably the most unnecessary comment I've read ever. Keep it to yourself, this is about the show not your ridiculous personal beliefs. Moron

September 30, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • melissa

@freespirit: I agree with Josh

September 30, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Drew

@freespirit........Too bad you didn't vomit...and then choke on it. That is all.

September 30, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Suze

It sure doesn't take much to rock your world, @freespirit. Good luck out there in the big, diverse world!

September 30, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • answerthecal

wow freespirit......do you really believe what your saying or are you looking for attention?

September 30, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • freespirit

Maybe some of you should look up the meaning of freespirit because some of your comments don't make any sense. Blogging is about giving your personal opinions about things, or events. Not everyone is going to agree. Their really is no need for name calling. When people start to call names or insult it show's someone's maturity level.

September 30, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

I'm sorry but did you just mention maturity level? I'm pretty sure you mentioned vomiting in your initial comment. How mature is that? Also the reasoning behind your comment is more immature in my opinion.

September 30, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

Also here's the definition of free spirit in case you forgot. free spirit
      n.
      One who is not restrained, as by convention or obligation; a nonconformist.

September 30, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • K

@freespirit. My guess is that you believe yourself to be a freespirit, but those of us who've read your comments sense the irony in your identifying yoruself with this monicker. Sorry, but your statement was without class, and your response was even less tasteful.

September 30, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • JimT

Freespirit...blogger??? You lost me at their when you meant to say there.

September 30, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack Astor

freespirit?!?! HA HA HA! Don't let the e-door hit ya on the way out!

September 30, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • chuck

Weak sensitivities from a weak person with a small mind.

September 30, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Michael McCLain

I wish the show would go away...I've watched it....it's just another show pandering to the gay community, to the Latino community and to the dumb white-collar community...the lisping fat queen puts the gay community back in the closet about 100 years....and the kiss....I'm sure the actor didn't want to kiss Otho from Bettlejuice either – not for what they pay him!

September 30, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

You may be the bigger moron in this comment chain. Who are you to judge anyone? Nobody is the correct answer in case you were wondering.

September 30, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ana

Why do you wish it would go away because you don't like it? Do you have other channels on your tv? A very dumb comment coming from a pretentious moron who considers himself too smart for the show. Sorry you don't get the jokes buddy...ask someone to explain them to you next week

September 30, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • citizenUSA

Are ya mad because they did not pander to the ignorant community that I would bet most of us think you belong to? Some gay men lisp in real life even though it's not an affliction. If they didn't, no one would use it as a device to charaterize a gay man. You think two Latin people in the show is pandering to the whole Latin community? And why would you complain about having to watch Sophia Vergara, (even if you were gay)? I'm a "white collar" worker and I don't appreciate being called dumb. If you want, we can compare academic achievements. I worked hard to get where I am. So do "blue collar" workers. Toss your TV and you'll never have to see one of the funniest shows on.

September 30, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • K

So, by having LGBT, Latino and other minority characters, you are suggesting that this is pandering to certain communities? So, by default in your argument, every time we see a caucasion character on TV we're pandering to white people? What type of logic is that?

September 30, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • abbney

Actually Otho from beetlejuice died like two/three weeks ago...But that just proves your point of just HOW FAR behind the times you are...its ok though...you can crawl under your rock now, we dont need you anymore...

September 30, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Chris

I was a little disappointed by last night's episode. It is so inspiring to see a healthy, loving, committed gay relationship on television, but the kiss was in the background and didn't even last as long as Jay's kiss of Mitchell. It just made it seem like we, the audience, couldn't handle anything more than a peck. It seems odd to me that Cam and Mitchell are the most vibrant and dynamic of the couples on the show, yet we see no affection between them. Mitchell's fear of PDA seems like an artifice, when we don't even see it during shots of them in their own home. Still, it's my favorite show.

September 30, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scuba

How many times have you seen Claire and Phil kiss??? I can't remember one time. Get over it...it wasn't supposed to be a big deal.

September 30, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hannah

Actually, I didn't think the lack of Mitch-Cam PDA was a big deal until I thought about how much PDA there is with Claire and Phil. Maybe it's just not noticeable or memorable because it's expected.

September 30, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Ladybug

Two of the best laughs in last nights episodes was when Jay says to Gloria "I slapped your meat" and Claire looks at the camera not knowing what he's talking about. Hilarious. And of course when CAM falls over the couch. I kept rewinding to watch it over and over.

September 30, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Love it...

@Ladybug: One of the many laugh outloud moments from the episode is when Phil sang the printer song to Jay and Jay's response in perfect dry humor "Phil, I'm going to get a beer, beer, beer before I hit you in the head, head, head." I couldn't stop laughing...I'm with you on Cam falling over the sofa.

September 30, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Katelyn

LOVED that line!! I thought I was going to pee my pants I was laughing so hard!!

September 30, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jane

The fall off the couch was my favorite too. He's a comic genius!

September 30, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Barry

I missed the kiss completely, wish they had made a bigger moment of it.

September 30, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Be Quiet

The Mitchell/Cam kiss was exactly what I hoped it would be. In the background, not flashy and NORMAL. As a gay man, I was really hoping they wouldn't make a big "television event" out of it. That would have made it a spectacle, and it just isn't.

Aside from the kiss, last nights episode had me laughing as usual. Whoever cast this show is a genius.

Modern Family = Television Perfection. Not much more to say, really.

September 30, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Midwest Gay Couple

We couldn't agree with you more, Be Quiet. We (and many other gay couples we know) have had to negotiate the PDA issue. Where you are and who's around are obvious factors that, sadly, gay couples must consider when it comes to even simply holding hands thanks to the prejudice and fear of violence we all face. The kiss was handled with subtlety and grace. It came across as a genuine portrayal of two gay men in a mature, ever-developing relationship. We were pleased that it wasn't made to be a spectacle as well. Hats off to Jesse & Eric, as well as the directors, producers, and writers for being willing to go there!

September 30, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • crazyover50

I agree with every word of this.

September 30, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Greg

How can you not mention one of the funniest lines ever on the show, delivered brilliantly by Phil I may add, in this article? "He blew his LID, when she tried to CONTAIN him." This caught me so off guard I had to pause the show just to regroup from the hilarity that is Phil Dunphy.

September 30, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dyson

I couldnt agree more. I was dying!

September 30, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrMike

That whole "container" thing was inspired – and Phil (for me) was an unlikely source for it; his "jokes" and witticisms are usually so painful that when he comes up with something that witty and honestly inventive it threw me for a loop.

September 30, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

LMAO!!!! My thoughts exactly......

September 30, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • gottagetgoin

I'm still laughing!

September 30, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sharon

Probably heard me laughing three houses away! Phil's subtle humor slays me! Great show. He and Cam are my favorites.

September 30, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • billman

That Phil-ism was hilarious, but I'm still partial to his reaction when hearing being introduced to Lily for the first time: "Isn't she going to have trouble saying her name?" - that *kiled* me!!! :-)

September 30, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |