'Star Wars' films being re-released in 3-D
September 29th, 2010

'Star Wars' films being re-released in 3-D

First George Lucas took us to a galaxy far, far away, and now he's journeying into another dimension: The filmmaker is re-releasing the entire "Star Wars" saga in 3-D.

Sources tell the Hollywood Reporter that plans to bring Luke Sykwalker, Darth Vader, and R2D2 into the 3-D world have been in the works for years, though Lucas held off until enough 3-D screens were available in movie theaters to make it a major event.

Industrial Light & Magic is reportedly overseeing the 3-D conversion, and, according to a statement by visual effects supervisor John Knoll obtained by Deadline.com, "We will take our time, applying everything we know both aesthetically and technically to bring audiences a fantastic new Star Wars experience."

In other words, get ready to dodge laser beams, space debris – and Jar Jar Binks.

The first of the movies, "Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace," is set for release in 2012, according to the Hollywood Reporter, with the remaining films rolling out in order at the same time in consecutive years.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • movies • Star Wars

1. Chase Payne

Hey guys, Will be the U.S. far far better off keeping Syria's Assad?

December 31, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  2. Buckels

This news, is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... good.

September 8, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ghost Writer

I think we need to start raising money for the "Send George Lucas to therapy so he stops rehashing the same crap Foundation", or the SGLTTSHESRTSCF, as I like to call it.

February 21, 2011 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  4. distance

Wow now in 3D

Watch Online movies free

October 10, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Raving Lunatic

One last thought. I'm amazed that Lucas still considers these movies relevant. 30 Years ago, sure, but now? I don't think so.

October 1, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. William Shatner

I told you all before..............GET A LIFE PEOPLE!

September 30, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kory in UT

Han Solo shoots Greedo unprovoked again and I'll go see them. Got that Lucas?

September 30, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  8. sm753

Big fan of Star Wars here but enough is enough. I hope this flops...I for one will not being seeing this in the theater...

September 30, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  9. texaslady2

Oh swell! Is there anything the Star Wars owners won't do to make an extra buck? How many re-releases and footage swept up off the cutting room floor are we going to be subjected to? The original films were the best: the additional footage makes the stories drag. I doubt that adding 3D will be any improvement either.

September 30, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  10. Hade Enuffe

George!...drop the bat and walk away from the dried up, beaten to a pulp dead horse......

September 30, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  11. axe

I've seen better movies at 3dmovies.com

September 30, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  12. Tari

Honestly, if you don't want six versions, don't buy six versions. If you don't want to pay to see them in the theater, don't pay to see them in the theater. There are people who do, so, why care what they spend their money on. Me personally? I'll wait until 2015 to see A New Hope, because THAT is Star Wars to me, not the prequels.

September 30, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  13. d

star wars died for me when the phantom menace came out. Something beautiful and perfect from my childhood was molested and destroyed thanks to CGI and poor story telling that 3-d, enhanced explosions or new audio will ever fix.

September 30, 2010 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  14. John

Why do people get so upset to see another man make money? Is it because he is already rich? He made the investment back then and continues to make the investment today. If you dont want to see the movies in 3D then simply do not go.
    Personally I think it is great that he is doing this... It keeps hundreds of people employed at ILM and will bring in profits at local theaters that are struggling during this serious downturn in our economy... A franchise that continues to generate jobs for people decades later is a bad thing?

September 30, 2010 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  15. Maverick2591b

O...M...G...who gives a d@mn! This franchise was great in the 80's but lost it's purpose when the "first" trilogy came out. George, if you can't come up with anything new, retire and let the new innovators come forward. Star Wars is dead. Let it go already.

William Shatner said it best on SNL-"get a life!"

September 30, 2010 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  16. MichiganGal

How many times have we heard "3D is here to stay!", only to see it die out a few years later?

As for releasing the original, untouched versions of the '77-'80-'83 trilogy on Blu-Ray, forget it. I'm sure Lucas has arranged that those will never be released again in any format. The DVD versions we got a few years ago is the last we'll ever see of them, so anybody who wants to remember them before Lucas changed them should go find copies now.

September 30, 2010 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
    • MichiganGal FAILS

I hate to be the one to burst your little bubble....actually, NO. I love bursting bubbles and stealing candy from babies.

Mr. Lucas has already announced that in the fall of 2011 (announced at Celebration V), all 6 films will be released in a collectors box set on Blu Ray.

Next time, check your facts before you open that garbage disposal you call your mouth.

September 30, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  17. Spunky da WonderMonkey

Come on! Releasing them a year apart to maximize their draw and $$... He should release them for free as a "Thanks for making me ultra-wealthy" edition... Sick.

September 30, 2010 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  18. Jar Jar Dinks

STAR WARS

Episode VII
    A Lost Hope

It is a period of financial ruin across the nation. The once proud and honorable founder of the Jedi order, George Lucas, has turned from the the noble order.

Currently, the Sith Lord is in orbit over the Skywalker Ranch, in search of Greedo, so that he might be smuggled back into Hollywood under the radar of his mindless fans. He carries with him the plans to the super weapon: a 3-D movie converter.

But even now, he is being persued by a small band of angry critiques....

September 30, 2010 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
  19. GoFaster58

Although I'm not a Star Wars fan, I applaud the technology to be able to transfer a film into 3D. Once this can be done successfully and cheaper we could expect to see other classic films transferred into 3D. I'm sure there's some studio, scientist or engineer somewhere that's experimenting with making 3D visible without glasses. I remember watching the original House of Wax and John Wayne's Hondo in 3D.

September 30, 2010 at 6:18 am | Report abuse |
  20. 3D Dude

First of all, this is not true 3-D as it will just be converted and was not recorded in 3-D. Second, anybody who bashes or is just a hater on 3-D technology is stupid, can't see 3-D, untechnologically advanced, or just plain mentally handicapped. Saying 3-D sucks or is a fad is like saying HD sucks or is a fad 5 years ago. I can't believe how many technologically inept morons are out there. Granted there has only been a couple of actually good 3-D movies ever released, but it is inevitably the future of video entertainment.

September 30, 2010 at 6:14 am | Report abuse |
  21. DieJarJarDie

Is Lucas going to hand out LSD with the 3-D glasses?
    I'm a huge fan of the original trilogy, but the prequels were a crushing disappointment – I don't think I could force myself to watch them again, even in 3-D.

September 30, 2010 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |
  22. Danny

How Lazy can Hollywood get? This is a step below a "remake." On top of all of that they are going to add 3D effects to a movie in which they aren't integral. I have seen only 2 or 3 movies which I thought the 3D actually added something (other than $2.50).

September 30, 2010 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  23. Smooth A

Like 3D will make those prequels any better. For all the crap Hollywood is rehashing, they should start with episodes 1-3. No one would notice except that they might actually be better. If I want to see Star Wars in 3D i'll drink NyQuil and cherry 7 up. 'Clone Wars' sucks. The prequels sucks. Cracked.com already explained how the sequels to 'jedi' would be worse than the prequels and screw up the canon. Lets see Vader between ROTS and ANH. Let someone besides Lucas helm the project and make Vader the badass we come to love and enjoy.

September 30, 2010 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  24. vince

It's kind of sad that Lucas is taking an epic film and marketing it to death. Rather than continuously re-releasing the films for more money he should come up with and fund some original ideas and storylines. Science fiction has gotten very routine and bland lately. We need new blood and new epics!

September 30, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  25. Eric Nicolas

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit

September 30, 2010 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  26. lgwelsh1

They need to make the Thrawn Trilogy. Get some new actors and tell that story on the screen. That's the movies Lucas needs to be making.

September 30, 2010 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  27. Roberto Applesauce

SWEEEEEEEEEET!

September 30, 2010 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  28. Frank

George Lucas is just trying to catch up in the greed marathon to James Cameron.

September 29, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Susan

Another vote for releasing the original (unretouched) trilogy on Blu Ray.

September 29, 2010 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Allen

Personally I think Star Wars is so magical and a part of cultural that they SHOULD BE released every 10 years so the younger generations can see it on the big screen. I remember they were re-released the Special Editions in 1997. I was 12 and I was so amazed when I got it to see them on the big screen. It was unforgettable!

September 29, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  31. russellc

Hey, at least he's not making it into a musical.

September 29, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Chip

Holy hell...just leave these movies alone already!
    Dear nerds: the 3D will look terrible. Movies not filmed specifically in 3D will just look like popup books after the conversion process. The only exception are the CGI elements and scenes that can be re rendered at a slightly different angle. Everything else will look like crap.

September 29, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Fred L. Fraud

You people are idiots!

September 29, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Edgar Friendly

As a card-carrying nerd, I like Star Wars. Screw this, though. Sorry George, just because you can't make another good movie doesn't mean I'm going to keep seeing the same three over and over again. It's just sad at this point.

September 29, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Maty

I don't think three dee is going to make the Hayden Christiensen's or Natalie Portman's acting in the last three films any better, unfortunately.

September 29, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  36. rad4d

Only one word can be used to describe this news... "YIPEE!"

September 29, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Pffffft!!

They mean re-re-re-released.

September 29, 2010 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Kay

I love Star Wars, but I'll pass on this. My fave was the first one released in 1977, the original version, and he isn't releasing that version. And by the time the revamped version comes out in 2015, 3D movies will be $30 a ticket, and there's nothing in any of the SW movies that will be enough to justiify paying the money. I have no interest in the prequel movies. Phantom Menace was a terrible movie and no gimmick will change that. This is all assuming 3D isn't dead (again) by the time they put out RotJ in 2017, if not before.

When Lucas dies, he'll be remembered for three things: American Graffiti, Star Wars, and really messing up Star Wars.

September 29, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Jonathan

There are some really stupid people here. "The prequels were terrible" - since when?! Revenge of the Sith got better reviews than ALL of the original films, and the prequels were extremely well received and successful. In fact they are among the most successful, well loved films ever made. So while a few idiots online can choose to have amnesia and pretend they hated them all, you didn't hate Revenge of the Sith. Nobody did. It came out, everyone agreed it was a masterpiece, including Time, USA Today, Ebert, and numerous other critics, and all of the fans. So go watch them again and stop listening to negativity that doesn't reflect reality. Furthermore, this article is wrong, Lucasfilm did NOT say they are coming out in consecutive years after that. There was no such announcement. Check the Variety article or the USA Today article, those are the official releases, and there is no mention of a time-frame for the other films. That is pure conjecture and BAD reporting.

September 29, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

You forgot to add: THIS MESSAGE BROUGHT TO YOU BY LUCASFILM, LTD.

Not everyone loved the prequels. We saw them but that doesn't mean we liked them. Same goes for the critics. I remember some horrible reviews. Get a grip on reality, you drooling fanboy.

September 29, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Melissa

Uggg, I'm so tired of everyone jumping on the 3d wagon. I love Star Wars but my god. Stop the idiotic 3d crap.

September 29, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Michael S

Great, so Lucas expects me to pay $10 to see the crap fest that was Episode 1 again? Not on your life George

September 29, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Dimsum

frekin George Lucas... milking this franchise dry to the bone and yet still milking more!!!! I don't mind making $$ off your hard work but c'mon how about actually making a new movie instead of just keep milking off a movie that's been milked hundreds of times allready!!!! has he no shame? nevermind I ask!

September 29, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  43. gannerrhysode

If you people really think that there is an episode 7, 8 or 9 on the horizon, then you don't know Star Wars. If you want to know what happens next, pick up a book. Its really not that hard to read. I promise, all you illiterate bums. Personally, I don't want to see anything in 3D. But who am I to tell George what to do with HIS creation. Don't want to see it, don't go. It really is that simple.

September 29, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  44. NobodySpecial

This is how you know that Hollywood ran out of good ideas. Talk about beating a dead horse. Hollywood is desperate. They are clinging to what they know, not caring about their integrity. This is why I hardly go to the movies anymore. Hashing and re-hashing on the old stand-by and old money-makers until the point of lameness and the same thing over and over and over again. Hollywood's desperate and everybody knows it – but Hollywood is in denial.

September 29, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Brian4

I've always wanted to see that incestous kiss between Luke and Leia in 3-D! Or will Lucas finally figure out a way to cut that scene and spare us of that agony.

September 29, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Johnjon

I still remember seeing the first film at the Americana Theater in Southfield MI when I turned 16 with my dad. I'm looking forward to seeing it again in 3 D, perhaps for my 50th birthday. Maybe my dad will want to see it again with me.

September 29, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  47. ANONYMOUS

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! IF YOU GOING MAKE A 3-D STAR WARS MOVIE, MAKE A BRAND NEW ONE. WE ARE ABOUT TIRED OF THE RE-RELEASES OVER AND OVER AGAIN. WHY PAY TO GO SEE AGAIN WHERE IT COMES ON EVERY OTHER WEEK ON SPIKE? NOTE TO GEORGE LUCAS....LET OTHERS WRITE, DIRECT, AND PRODUCE MORE STAR WARS STORIES. YOU WILL STILL MAKE MONEY, YOU OWN THE BRAND. THANK YOU.

September 29, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Concerned Star Wars Fan

WHY? 3-D has never made a good movie better. It's never made a bad movie better? It's nothing more than a Lucas money making scheme. Would Casablanca be better in 3-D? NO. Would Gone with the Wind be more spectacular in 3-D? NO. Would Psycho be scarier? NO. I wait patiently for the latest 3-D craze to fade, as it did in the 50's, the 70's, and the brief periods in the 80's & 90's. What especially annoys me are the movies that are released in 2-D & 3-D modes...even if you watch the 2-D version, you can pick out every single scene that was only shot to take advantage of 3D...the latest Resident Evil movie for example...I got sick of the super slow-motion images with something moving across the screen when I was watching the 2-D version. "Wow! Bet that looked cool in 3-D" I'd say facetiously. It pretty much killed all of the action scenes, since it was in super slow-mo. I like fast paced action, once you slow it down, it become nothing more than a demonstration showing off 3-D for its own sake. How about writing a better movie, instead of using shiny beads and mirrors to distract us from the fact that the movie sucks. Spend a few less bucks on 3-D camera, and put the money into a few extra acting classes for some of the 1-Dimensional actors out there.

September 29, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Apeman

Mesoo greedy.....not

September 29, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  50. allison

Dear George Lucas- I sure do hope that you are at least generating American Jobs with this, because I am sick and tired of you ripping apart your masterpiece over and over again. I feel like you have been editing these for a really long time and if you are making enough money to do this- then how about doing something new and creative!
    If I find out you outsourced all of this 3D you are nuthing but a nerf herder!

September 29, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Kristy

Man I hope my nephew doesn't hear about this! He's 10 and a HUGE Star Wars fan. That's all he talks about, I act interested, but half the time I have no idea what he is talking about. Whatever it is he thinks it's pretty funny! Now if he finds out about this, that's all I'm gonna hear until it comes out! UGH!

September 29, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Mike from KC

I like Star Wars as much as anyone else, but REALLY? How many different ways does this need to be seen?
    Did George Lucas not make enough money from the original release that he has to do the prequel thing, and now it is going 3-D?
    Enough already!

September 29, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Chris

Oh I hope it's not as bad as the Clone Wars Movie and TV show.

September 29, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  54. docliptz

Is there a scene where Yoda jumps over a shark on his hoverspeeder?

September 29, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Bob

There's like 1,000 comments here. Star Wars continues to bring out the nerds in droves...

September 29, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Kim

I'm a huge fan of 3D and Star Wars, but I am not looking forward to this... 3D only really works if the movie is designed from the get-go to be filmed in 3D. It takes proper cameras, shot angles, etc to really make it shine, and if things aren't done correctly it just looks either "off" or plain terrible and/or gives you headaches. None of this technology existed back when most of these movies were made. Since the original actors are almost all old or dead, that pretty much eliminates the option of re-shooting the movies to do it right. So instead they're going to have to retrofit the originals by separating the foreground and background into extremely simplistic flat layers. Yuck! Given the choice between badly done 3D and a regular 2D movie, give me 2D anyday...

September 29, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Darth Lucas

This is a major fail. If you're going to re-release the prequel that's already been filmed why have the gaps between movies have to be so far? Things are changing so fast these days who knows what will be hot in the next few years. 3D is nothing new and will die as quick as those stupid spinning rims.

September 29, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  58. John

George Lucas has pretty much made his whole career from one movie, looks like he going to cash in again.
    Don't forget the HD version, when is that coming out?

September 29, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  59. George Creative Lucas

google trailer for SW The Old Republic... that short trailer is better than all 3 prequels combined

September 29, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Fred

I am waiting for the Blu-rays! Come on now and release the originals on Blu-ray PLEASE!

September 29, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Aezel

George Lucas does not seem to understand what made the Star Wars saga so great originally, as made ABUNDANTLY clear form the terrible three prequels. Although special effects played a role, it was not what made people so attracted to the films. Give it a rest already George. I'm a Star Wars fan but I won't be going to see this.

September 29, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Ryan

Good old George Lucas... He's clearly not making enough from coming up with the name "DROID" or the 7 million video games he has out.. He needs more money to enlarge his pregger-paunch

September 29, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  63. VOS

So let me get this straight, we have to wait until 2018 to see Return of the Jedi? We could all be wiped off the planet by 2014 and never get to see the REAL Star Wars movies in 3D. Besides, 3D will be long gone by 2018 and there will be a new technology to watch movies. This is stupid. And who is going to see the Phantom Menace? THAT MOVIE SUCKED!! Release them all within 3 months of each other and be done w/ it.

September 29, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  64. George Creative Lucas

Hello
    My name is George Lucas and I am short on cash
    Please go see my 13 year old movie (in 2012) and help me out

September 29, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Howie

You guys are all trolls. I for one am PSYCHED!!! I love 3D now that the tech people have figured it out. Anything Star Wars rocks, and 3D Star Wars will make me cream my jeans! How about that Yoda / Dooku Lightsaber duel in 3D? Wooo Hooo! And yes, love to see episodes 7, 8, & 9, but it will never happen because Lucas turned over the Star Wars universe to serial writers who have completely messed with the characters.

September 29, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  66. STahWaHz

Starwars is the best movie ever made and best trilogy ever made.

Git Mad Boy, and git sat by dis nerd

dont cry , no need 4 tearz

September 29, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Obitwo

I stopped buying Lucas arts stuff when Star Wars Galaxies was trashed.......Haven't bought anything Sony either........Don't think I will.........Greed is a trait of the dark side......Sorry George..

September 29, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • SWG-PreNRG

I miss Creature Handler more than anything in the world.

they ruined millions of gamer's lives with that nerf.

September 29, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  68. kwirboi

I am so over 3D. I really don't think it adds anything to a film and it definitely doesn't make the film worth $3 more when they won't even let you keep the glasses anymore. I agree with a lot of people, film Episodes 7, 8 & 9 and forget the 3D.

September 29, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  69. darkstar

Gee, great. How many more versions of Star Wars can we add to the ongoing and never-ending list? George – please go away.

September 29, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Jason

All this will do is turn a classic sci fi into something cheesy, tasteless, not to mention, pointless!.

September 29, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  71. KC

Would much rather see Lucas finish what he started. Film episodes 7, 8 and 9 in 3D.

September 29, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Tim from Toledo

Hasn't he made enough money yet? Does he really need a couple hundred million more?
    My goodness, enough already!

September 29, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Yogurt

May the schwartz be with you!

September 29, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Aar

great! 3D of darth vader's ponytail and just about every miscasting you can think of. way to go G.L! your rationale is in a galaxy far, far away...

September 29, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Raving Lunatic

The first two were great. Return of the Jedi was so-so. The next two totally sucked and the last one was so-so. He then ruined the first three by adding superfluous scenes to them. Now he's going to milk even more money from the masses by reissuing them in 3-D. Not bad for a guy that hasn't had an original thought in his head in 30 years.

September 29, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  76. hirolla74

Great now we gotta see JarJar Binks on 3-D! That's like watching Amos and Andy in the first row of a theater! No thanks! Maybe Lucas can re-edit his voice.

September 29, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Shannon Nutt

George is like that crazy neighbor who's always in the garage working on the car...he's always tinkering, but he's never finished with it.

September 29, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Floyd

more proof that there is no god. i guess george lucas needs to pay off gambling debts or something... every 10 years he re-releases the exact same thing to the point that this is just sad and pathetic. all i can see is the southpark episode with george and steven abusing indana jones.

COME UP WITH SOMETHING NEW PLEASE.

September 29, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Russ

Please just put the original movies out on Blu-ray!!! We don't want 3D or the original movies that you changed.

If you want to make some money just re-master the originals and don't add new animations.

I'm not a huge fan either just want to see the originals in hi-def.

September 29, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jen

"The Star Wars saga will at long last be released in a high-definition home video format as all six movies come to Blu-Ray in a Box Set in Fall 2011, as announced by George Lucas this morning at Celebration V. At the fan convention's Main Event, thousands of Star Wars fans braved the muggy heat of an Orlando morning to queue for a one-time only stage session between George Lucas and The Daily Show's Jon Stewart. Stewart asked Lucas questions submitted from the fan community, and one of the most frequently asked questions submitted online prior to the Main Event was about the saga's release on Blu-Ray.

"I wish I could say it was coming out this year," said Lucas, "but it will come out next year." "

September 29, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jen

So, it doesn't say original un-messed with versions, but I know he won't do it. The originals were not his vision of the movies, so, unfortunately, we're all stuck.

September 29, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  80. WalterP

We should have seen that coming. Why not just come out with a new storyline/movie idea to use 3D. Come on George!

September 29, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Duce

We know now what one of the episodes of the upcoming season of South Park will be about now!

September 29, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  82. cwags

"Now, Obi-Wan, your failure is complete."
    Seriously George, stop messing with them. You are only making things worse. What's next...smellovision in 2035? If you want to mess with something...go mess with Howard the Duck. Anything you do could only improve it.

September 29, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Janet

Just one thing to say:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

September 29, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  84. dcmapa

First we had the VHS release of the first three "episodes." Then the remastered. Then the remastered with extra scenes. Then the DVDs. Then the remastered DVDs. Now the 3d Version. Next? The remastered remixed 3D HD BluRay? After that most of us will be dead and buried by then and just won't care anymore. Lucas. Remember what Grandma used to say, "Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered." Trying to milk the frachise over and over and over is being the hog.

September 29, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • WalterP

So funny and true. Remember in 1999 – the 3 VHS version – Last time to be released this century!! OMG – gotta get that version. Don't forget the original versions, then the versions with the added scenes once new technology came out.

September 29, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Paulie

My question is why not film Episodes 7 8 and 9 and release them in 3D instead? There were supposed to be 3 more films. Mr Lucas I highly advise you complete the series before you die and someone else ruins your vision completely.

September 29, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paulie

I mean come on its not like the studios wouldn't give him money to do it either.

September 29, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • RFD42

I don't believe he has a great vision. He did have a good concept for Star Wars, but he couldn't even keep continuity between RotJ and RofS.. In Jedi Leia said she knew hew birth mother and she was sad all the time, in Sith that got completely tossed. Bad writing and directing in I II and III, Empire is my favorite of them all, and that was not directed by Lucas, it was directed by Irvin Kershner.

September 29, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paulie

come on though there are like a thousand book series and scripts

September 29, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  86. R234

Pray he doesnt do E.T. – The Sequal.

September 29, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Levi

I'm like more or less everyone else. Give us some NEW material, with better actors. Make Mace Windu come back to life and played by Morgan Freeman or Denzel Washington, throw in some decent script, and I'll pay you $10 for a ticket, George.

September 29, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  88. George Lucas Himself

Wow, yet another RE-release of Star Wars, the most milked franchise in human history. Hey, tomorrow they are releasing a new colour pixel, quick remaster Star Wars and release it!! 200 years from now, Star Wars will still be just getting released in some new form.

September 29, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Troy

Exciting this is.

September 29, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Flyers

Absolutely amazing how much mileage and how much money George Lucas has made
    by re-releasing the same series of movies over and over again –
    LMAO
    I love Star Wars, but come on – enough already – I have no need or desire to ever see it in 3-D –
    why doesn't George take a page out of his buddy Spielberg's book
    and try to make something different for a change?

September 29, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  91. RFD42

Han shot FIRST!!!

September 29, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  92. kayladie

Here we go, with all the Star Wars and Lucas haters jumping on that bandwagon. You're so 'cool' if you trash Star Wars! I, for one, will look forward to the chance to see all the movies on the big screen again. I will enjoy the 3D, even if I wear glasses. I will enjoy seeing all SIX movies, as they are all great in their own way. Sure I love Empire Strikes Back the best, but all six movies have their special moments.

Here's a novel idea...if you don't like Star Wars, don't go see these re-releases!

I would like to say THANK YOU to George Lucas for giving the real fans what they want...more Star Wars! (can't wait for the blu-ray editions!)

September 29, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  93. MyKidsAreIntoSWNow

Is the 3-D REALLY going to add anything of significant value to the viewer? I don't think the 3-D draws me in enough to overcome the shortcomings of the script, story, acting, etc. of episodes I and II...

September 29, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Brian

George Lucas... once an admired filmaker and artist. Now, he is just a corporate dog.

September 29, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  95. jimmyj

So just how big a loser would you have to be to go? Such a supremely talented filmmaker at one time, and then turning into one of the the worst hacks of his generation. Still, I'd sell my soul to the devil for a billion too, but the devil won't go that high.

September 29, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  96. cytoxman

No, no, no. The prequel trilogy sucked enough already. George, be done with it. Make money off of something else.

September 29, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  97. disgusted ex star wars fan

Wouldnt it be interesting to see Lucas come up with something original? Who would have imagined this guy would be reinventing the same series, OVER and OVER and over......I remember the days of being proud to say I was a Star Wars fan...George, you make me ill...

September 29, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Spence

We are likely not going to get the ORIGINAL theatrical versions in 3-D, as Lucas is so anal about them, and instead he will be converting the"improved" versions of SW, ESB and ROTJ.

September 29, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • darkfyre

As long as he takes out the bit where Greedo shoots first, I don't care ((MUCH)) about whether he plays the old theatrical release, or the new directors cut...althought that song in Jabba's palace I wouldn't mind seeing the backside of!

September 29, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  99. BarryOsama

3-D movies and television sucks. It didn't take off 50+ years ago and it won't now no matter how hard the entertainment industry shoves it down our throats.

September 29, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Martin

Milk it Lucas. Milk it buddy...

September 29, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Stuart

Geez! How many times is he going to go back to the same well? He started with something that was awesome in its day and has gradually reduced it to about the same status as The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Everybody goes dressed as their favorite character and can recite their canned lines with Han Solo and the others.

September 29, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Geoffrey Sperl

I'm looking forward to it. If the dates and timing are correct, then my son won't be old enough to see them starting in 2012 (he's only three months old), but he'll be almost five (assuming Lucas sticks with the mid-late May release dates) when "A New Hope" comes out in 2015. I like that idea.

As for those decrying the prequels: The originals weren't that good. Really. Take off the rose-colored glasses, folks. ;)

September 29, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Dave

The movies were not that good to start with....

September 29, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Jon

So they're going to be releasing the new versions of each film on a yearly basis. By that time the majority of fans of the original (and better) trilogy will be in their 50s and 60s. You don't think Lucas knows what he's doing?

September 29, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  105. joshua

i like star wars im a big fain! i cant wate when sar wwars turns into 3-D!

September 29, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Don

How about just coming up with some new material for Episodes 7-9 in 3D?

September 29, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Caroline

I am so glad to see that I am not the only one not totally enamored with 3D. I already wear glasses, and now have to wear another pair of glasses over my own, that who knows how may other people have worn. Plus, will anyone really still care about 3D in 2015? How about just releasing some decent movies to begin with!

September 29, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dale

Agreed! This 3D craze only works for people who are not wearing glasses. Unfortunately, that's what the optometrist recommends (instead of contacts or laser eye surgery), and wearing 3D glasses over regular glasses is a real downer. I'd much rather see a new chapter of Star Wars, but one written, produced, and directed in the same spirit as episodes 4-6 (i.e. with class and a serious mind). The pre-quels are, unfortunately, very, very childish. Concepts and character depth in 4-6 were much, much deeper.

September 29, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jango Davis

I'm a big movie buff, ear glasses and love 3D movies. Not every application of the 3D process is great, but I've seem some stunners, and my glasses don't interfer with the experience.

September 29, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • ForceOfOne

Caroline,
      I actually work for an Optical Manufacturer and know that Percription 3D glasses are on the horizon. I at first thought 3D is a fad, but am begininng to see that it is as it saturates into all industries. These perscription 3D glasses (made by a very big name company....think sport glasses) will both be fashionable and able to be used in theater and home TVs. No longer is it based on the red/blue lenses in the glasses, but better technology.

September 29, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Motley

I am not enamoured with 3d either,.. but it not only will stay, it will become main stream,.. why do you think 3d tvs are coming out,.. why do you think directv has 3d programming, 3d bluray players? sorry but it may get to a point it is harder to find 2d only players and 2d only programming,.... oh yeah,... you did know that the NFL was showing some games in 3d recently too right?

September 30, 2010 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  108. shawn

The visuals may be good, but what can he do about the flat dimensionless acting and dialog?

September 29, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • YBP

Yeah. Especially in that 2nd Trilogy. I find the prequels to be too painful to watch. Between the bad scripts, the over-produced CG effects and the god-awful acting of Padme, Jar-Jar and both Anakins, the 2nd Trilogy was an absolute travesty. The 1st Trilogy had awful dialogue, but the actors were so good that they were able to pull it off. Mark Hamill spends half his time with a Muppet, yet he manages to make it work.

September 29, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ian

You got it, YBP – the scene where I almost left the theatre was the one with the pursuit in the city where Anakin drops over the side of the flyer and falls miles only to land exactly as intended – seriously, even the force ain't gonna take you that far, what a crock.

Cash grab plain and simple, what an a**, not that he cares what mere peons think. Another poster had it right referring to the relevant South Park episode, too – bang on.

September 29, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  109. David G

And then.......in 2020 (for perfect vision you know) we'll have the Holographic versions and Jar Jar can come out and sit on the couch with us!!

September 29, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  110. Medardus

Unfortunately it'll take six years to see just how much George Lucas can completely defile his creation.

Han. Shot. First.

September 29, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • cheefsfury

YOU DONT HAVE TO WAIT ANYMORE! JUST GO GET THOSE TERRIBAD REMAKES WHEN THEY ADDED ALL THOSE NEW SCENES

September 29, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Imperabo

Greedo and Han will have a spelling contest.

September 29, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Darkfyre

Kinda makes me wonder if he'll take that particular snippet out of the film and make it so that Han WILL shoot first again! If for no other reason than that, I would go see the old Trilogy.

September 29, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  111. john Ray

Why in the world would re-release the prequels in theaters? Did Lucas actually think they were that good?

September 29, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • YBP

I totally agree. The prequels were terrible. Nothing like the original trilogy.

September 29, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike in NJ

I agree – I think the South Park epsiode regarding the Indana Jones movie (there's a snippet at the end commenting on Star Wars) brings it all into great focus.

September 29, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Motley

Obviously that is YOUR opinion only,... all the movies did extremely well and all are extremely popular,...

September 30, 2010 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  112. Donlizard

Really?! Really?!
    We have to wait until 2015 until the "good" Star Wars movies come out in 3D, after which the lame 3d craze will be gone.
    Hey Lucas .... short of cash are we? Lame ass ....

September 29, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Jedi Ree Ves

Wouldnt the rest of the fans agree we would like to see Lucas' original concept scripts of 12 episodes?
      "Ewoks suck dude!" – Hurley from LOST

September 29, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Zooropa

George is in no short hand of cash my friend. He is having fun with a career he has made. Just as you probably go to work everyday, so it is with George. It's his livelihood. Relax and don't go see the movies.

September 29, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • JimmyJam

Yeah...George is far from being broke. C'mon, the creator of Star Wars broke. Highly doubt that JarJar!

September 29, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Truthwillsetyoufree

Wow, must be in a race with Bladerunner. 5 releases already of that.

September 29, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • drow

but hey, bladerunner is the better movie.
      i only own four copies of it, i swear.

September 29, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • ron

First they had one blade, then came twin blades, three blades and now four blades!

September 29, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jar Jar Dinks

5!....if you count that oh so popular epic....Blades of Fury!

September 30, 2010 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
  114. taylynn

"NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE DARK SIDE" LOL or better yet " I AM YOUR FATHER" priceless :)

September 29, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • ron

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE DARK SIDE OF LUCAS'S WALLET.

September 29, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Ron beat me to it, this is simply an attempt by Lucas to grab some cash off the 3D wave before it dies out again.

Next up, Lord of the Rings trilogy in 3D, but of course it will only be the standard edition with the extended addition in 3D being release 12-18 months afterwards in the hopes that people are stupid enough to buy yet another version.

September 30, 2010 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  115. cheefsfury

GREAT! LET THE INTERWEB NERDS REJOICE

September 29, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • No More Binks

Oh sweet mother of goodness, no more Star Wars. George Lucas' blood my run green from greed. He has milked this series and its fans enough. I loved the original star wars trilogy and I am absolutely fed up with the greed of this man.

September 29, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • disco_fever

Since when did Lucas force people to go see these movies? Aren't THEY responsible for making this man rich based on the same old tired movies?

September 29, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Russ

come on!! we need less Star Wars!

September 29, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • peaceoutmofo

I'm not trying to stir the pot but I really think these movies are overrated. The dialog is awful. I notice this so much more now because special effects are easy nowadays. So when you watch it again, you really focus on the cheesy script. I realize these movies stand the test of time but I think its the exact opposite.

September 29, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blu-ray fan 2010

I wish they would release it on Blu-ray first... besides i think 3D will be obsolete by 2012

September 29, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Luke

Lucas is like a Sci-Fi father to me. He has shown many worlds through the exploits of Luke (no relation), Princess Laya, Harrison Solo, Obi-won ton & Dark Vaider. We will have cause for great celebration... as soon as George realizes We Would Rather have a New Chapter of the Star Wars unfold!

September 29, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Motley

lol 3d obsolete by 2012??? sorry it will be mainstream and everywhere for next 10-15 years as they work on holographs,.. but 3d is much much much easier,.... 3d tvs just coming out,.. 3d channels just coming out (directv),... and you think in 2 years it will be obsolete?

September 30, 2010 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Manny

Enough of the rehash, start writing episodes 7, 8, and 9. In fact, just take one of the expanded universe books and turn that into a new film. NEW< NEW<NEW!!!!!!!

September 30, 2010 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Reality

"I realize these movies stand the test of time but I think its the exact opposite."

And your accomplishment in life is this post on this message board. Go off yourself loser!

September 30, 2010 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |