'No Ordinary Family' is several shows in one
September 29th, 2010

'No Ordinary Family' is several shows in one

[Editor's note: You know the drill by now. If you haven't watched the premiere of "No Ordinary Family," stop reading now.]

I could tell you that ABC's superhero fantasy "No Ordinary Family" premiered Tuesday night... but you know, that's not a completely accurate description.

And to call "No Ordinary Family" ABC's new crime drama isn't entirely accurate either. Perhaps we could describe it as, "ABC's light family show."

But really, "No Ordinary Family" - starring Michael Chiklis and Julie Benz as the heads of a superpowered household - is all of the above. Points to TV vets Greg Berlanti and Jon Harmon Feldman for creating a show that's trying to reach as broad an audience as possible. At the same time, that also makes it difficult to get a read on it.

The superheroic stuff is pretty much "been there, done that." Benz's Stephanie can run really, really fast, which is great news for her metabolism, as her co-worker Katie points out (though viewers of the 1990 "The Flash" series will recall all of that, including the scene where she runs around the track at lightning speed).

Daughter Daphne can hear people's thoughts, which is a really creepy power to have ("Heroes'" Matt Parkman and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" have covered that ground before). Son J.J.'s power appears to be exactly like that of Russell Crowe in "A Beautiful Mind." Chiklis' Jim can leap tall buildings in a single bound, plus he's nigh-invulnerable, which was the most effective power to see onscreen (no need to point out where we've seen that).

Chiklis also delivered the best performance so far, and he has the most interesting character (who also ends up briefly facing off against someone else with powers). He's stuck in a desk job with the police force, and it turns out he's far more valuable at fighting crime than those who are hitting the streets. His enthusiasm over his new powers, along with his friend George ("40 Year Old Virgin's" Romany Malco), is the most exciting part of the show.

The most interesting thing about Benz is not her character but what's going on around her, including the fact that her boss is secretly the series' main villain (the casting of "7th Heaven's" Stephen Collins in this role is inspired).

The teens have normal angsty teen problems, and their powers are used to help with that, but that's nothing particularly original either.

There are elements of a good show here, but so far they haven't come together. Hopefully "No Ordinary Family" can find an identity soon, especially considering the fact that its main competition is "Glee."

What did you think of the premiere? Will you watch it next week? iReporter Kathi Cordsen is sold on the show. Share your iReport here or comment below.

1. TV Channels Live On Internet

I used to be suggested this website by means of my cousin. I am now not positive whether or not this publish is written by way of him as no one else recognize such distinctive approximately my difficulty. You are wonderful! Thank you!

September 19, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Robert

PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASEEEE make a season 2....... THIS SHOW WAS AWESOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

August 17, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bush

tinyurl.com/399xoyr

October 15, 2010 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  4. David

I saw the pilot and the other episodes. i totally loved them, yes their powers are from other shows but who cares, they are making it work in the show and i like that. I cannot wait to see what they plan on for the rest of the show.

October 13, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Edris Kay

Mikael Chiklis is in it. You know it's goint to get better. He probably had several shows to choose from.

October 11, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jim

fff

October 9, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. lovees

Watch TV serials online

October 1, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. irene brewer

i enjoyed the show big time! good mixture of comedy and drama.

September 30, 2010 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Maria

not bad, reminds me of the incredibles.
    I wanted to see what was going to happen in flash forward but I have a feeling this is why it's cancelled.

September 29, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lorrie

I enjoyed it! i have seen everything Michael Chiklis has done and I think he is an outstanding actor and is over looked alot! but I feel the show has something for the whole family to sit down and watch!!! THANKS ABC

September 29, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Marie

Watched it, enjoyed it, but it was the preview for next week that hooked me when we saw who the villian is...looking forward to next week :)

September 29, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Michelle

I loved this show and I was so happy that there was something on at the 8:00 hour that my 10 year daughter could watch with me. We loved and will continue to watch it.

September 29, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Some Guy with Powers

I liked the show's first episode. I found a few of the scenes to be filmed rather quick, like going to the next scene 1 milisecond after an actor says their lines, with no time in between to assimilate what just happened. It has potential to be something that Heroes was not. It also very closely follows the powers structure of the Incredibles movie. I'll need to see a few more episodes to see how the villians pan out, and if this show can add som eseriously good cliff hangers and episode arcs, then it has high potential.

September 29, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Bill

I wathced the show and was quite impressed. I always liked Michael Chiklis and Julie Benz is always good. Good show, good first episode and was caught off-guard by the criminal and his secret (don't want to spoil it for others).

September 29, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. b badger

Julie Benz is fantastic.

September 29, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  16. JUlie

I watched it and liked it! I thought it was funny! I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be a drama or a comedy, but it was entertaining either way. I don't follow Glee, so it was really my only other option. If you didn't watch it this week, give it a try next week. You just might find it entertaining.

September 29, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Injury solicitors

If you have been injured in Melbourne Australia chances you may want to file a personal injury claim. This is a complex legal matter that requires knowledge of Australian civil law as well as experience and a record of success in filing claims in Melbourne.
      ---------------
      Injury solicitors

October 26, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  17. jenn

My husband and I watched the premier last night. I wanted to watch it because of julie being on Dexter. Turns out hubby and I both enjoyed it. It was fun. Even if some of their powers are recycled from other shows this family seems more lighthearted then previous characters. I plan on watching next week. :)

September 29, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Amber

Watched the pilot. Just another show about upper middle class white people and their upper middle class problems... except with super powers. Yawn.

September 29, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheefsfury

SORRY THAT YOU ARE SO POOR THAT YOU CANT JUST ENJOY A SHOW FOR A SHOW BEING A SHOW.

September 29, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • ronnie49

good show! I will absolutly watch next week.

September 29, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • scott

Aw, yet another one of those dems that feel like they "gotta get theirs" and "nobody can be rich, that ain't fair". but this time, its even effected whether or not you watch a tv show. good job.

September 30, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Minority Man

(Please read the following with a sense of pure sarcasm) I love how white people are the only ones with powers in this show. This really represents how white people are far superior to minorities. And, if a minority with a super power should appear they would be a villain, especially if they are Asian. But let's keep the boss of villains an old white guy because we all know old white guys are the best leaders. Yea ABC you've made the perfect show for all of us again! I can so relate to an ordinary (white middle class) family!

October 26, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |