'Lone Star' comes to an end
September 29th, 2010

'Lone Star' comes to an end

Looks like Fox's "Lone Star" wasn't exactly a shining star. The soapy prime-time series has been canceled after just two episodes, reports Entertainment Weekly.

The tale about a Texas con man (James Wolk) juggling two lives and two families managed to charm critics, but just couldn't pull one over on the folks at home. Its premiere averaged just 4 million viewers, prompting show creator Kyle Killen to write an open letter urging fans to keep watching and jokingly offering them an incentive.

"I'll mow your lawn or offer you some sort of sensual massage, but I won't beg," he wrote, before turning serious. "The truth is, what we need to do is nearly impossible."

Indeed, in week 2, viewership dropped to 3.2 million and the show was eliminated from the network's lineup.

While the filming of four new episodes has already been completed, it remains to be seen whether they will be broadcast or end up on DVD.

Post by:
Filed under: Fall TV • television

1. 12mchen

Needed younger better looking cast. Sad truth. People who watch soaps are in a certain demographic. You need to appeal to the ladies between like 20-45.

September 18, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  2. michael

I really liked this show and was disapointed that it has been cancelled.

October 10, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. who knows

Watch TV serials online

October 1, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. harper

MAJOR BUMMER – really ? this was our favorite new show hands down for light drama... sure it was a mix of Dallas and Friday Night Lights as I have seen written, but that is EXACTLY why we liked it... a great mix of old school nasty business TX style and current culture... Plus I will miss my eye candy w/James Wolk... love him. I think this show will make a comeback ... and if you have too many shows to watch... I'm not sure how that is an argument for why you don't have time to watch THIS show. there's more to life than just t.v. – ya'll. :p

October 1, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Deborah Phillips

"Lonestar" was an interesting show, and I liked the first two episodes. Last season, I enjoyed FlashFoward. ABC screwed around with that show and ended up canceling it. Lonestar's main character was conflicted and wanted to turn his life around. The metamorphosis would have been intriguing to watch. Hopefully, the producers can take this show to a cable channel, and I'll follow.

September 29, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Pegot

I watched both episodes. It was already getting monotonous. The main character is an anti-hero as you want to applaud him for wanting to get out of swindling, but against that is the fact that he is married to two different women. His exchanges with his dad were basically the same every time "Dad, I want out" "Son, I know what is best" "Dad, I want out" "Son, I watch your back" etc. I don't see how they could make a multi-season show out of such a thin premise. And the suspense of wife 1 finding out about wife 2 – how many episodes before it becomes a routine part of each show, like Kenny dying?

September 29, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Carly

I think with all the cheaters in the news lately viewers were not finding cheating to be charming.

September 29, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. cheefsfury

YOU NERDS NEED TO LEARN THAT FOX CANCELS ALL THE GOOD SHOWS AND KEEPS THE CRAP AROUND

September 29, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. sherryrae40

I had planned on watching it... but it conflicted with other things I was and record so it didn't fit into my schedule. But I hate the fall season... because you just start watching something and get invested in the characters and poof its gone. I lost several favorite shows last season... Flashforward, Eastwick, Accidentally on Purpose... just to name a few.. So I guess I'm glad I didn't bother – since it sounded good... and is gone already.

September 29, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. eileen

I didn't start watching any new shows this year. I'm so tired of starting a new series only to have it cancelled quickly. You never get an end to the story. It's like starting a really great book only to have it taken away while your halfway through.

September 29, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. TC

I loved this show..i cant believe it is gone.

September 29, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kathi

I'd never even heard about this show, maybe if they had advertised it more like The Event (which is a total waste of time).

September 29, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Debbie

The fact that they pulled it off in 2 weeks is exactly why people aren't watching. No one wants to get invested in a show that will be abruptly cancelled! I really wanted to watch it, but was afraid of just this sort of thing happening. The networks wonder why viewership is down – it's because no one wants to invest time in a show that could disappear at any moment!

September 29, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. LeWonder

Not really a surprise given this was a Fox show. How many bombs has Fox had within the past 5yrs? But for some reason Jersey Shore is still on air?! Anyways Fox needs to step it up! They can't bank on Glee and American Idol forever!

September 29, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • LeWonder

Funny I bet the actors thought this show was gonna be their "Big Break"..lol

September 29, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. NobodySpecial

I saw the trailers and I have to admit – this show looked like a waste of time for me. A con-man living dual lives while trying to make it up in a corporation? Yeah, this show looked like it was going to bomb. I'm not sad to see it go. Just goes to show that the people that think of these kinds of shows are out of touch with what the public are looking for. I'm sure alot of shows like these that cater to a certain kind of demographic are just plain worthless. Good luck with the next project.

September 29, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  16. khocolatemoose

I hear ya Andrea, but to be honest, there are so many new shows, I find it hard to keep them all straight. Not to mention keeping up with what station, day, and time these shows are airing. The saddest thing is that I'm not that old yet. I saw the previews for the show, I can't speak to the talent of the cast, but the premise looking like a warmed-up redo. Perhaps that's why no one was interested. Who knows.

Feel free to add to the conversation about films at http://khocolatemoose.wordpress.com/

We'd love to hear what you think, and often.

Best,

KM

September 29, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Pat

I totally agree. This was my favorite show so far of the new season. It was different than anything else on TV. Fresh and intriguing. I will miss it.

September 29, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Andrea

SO disappointed about this. Of all the network pilots this year, this had the most promise. Depressing (and very indicative of the American people) that THIS gets cancelled, but garbage like $#*! My Dad Says stays on the air...

September 29, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Old Scratch

Andrea you can certainly bet that the days are numbered for $#@! My Dad Says. You have to understand that the pressure to perform to expectations is much higher for a 1 hour drama than a 30 minute sit-com. Especially when the production cost for each episode is considered.

September 29, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |