'Glee'...plus a random Britney
September 29th, 2010

'Glee'...plus a random Britney

How many times can you shove Britney Spears into a show?

That’s what the Britney/Brittany episode of “Glee” felt like to me. It seemed so forced, and not the hotness I am used to from my favorite show.

But before I get to that, let me rave about the parts of the show I did love. Our girl Brittany S. Pierce was in rare form with her clueless, deadpan delivery of hysterical lines. I almost bust a gut when she begged hottie dentist Carl (played by John Stamos), “Please don’t pull all my teeth. When I smile I’ll look like an adult baby, but with boobs.”

The actress who plays Brittany, Heather Morris, is a former backup dancer for Beyonce, and if this “Glee” thing doesn’t work out she could make some serious green as a Britney Spears impersonator.

Her dream dance sequences were off the chain. Loved it! Her dialogue rivaled Sue’s for sheer genius and I loved her newfound confidence thanks to her Britney vision. “I’m more talented than all of you. I see that clearly now. It’s Brittany…b**ch.”

The show did have some seriously bright spots: the visual gag of Emma’s pamphlets (“Wow, there’s hair down there!"); the observation that Rachel dresses “like one of the bait girls on 'To Catch a Predator'"; the “Britney Spears sex riot” during the school rally; the gorgeousness that is John Stamos.

Did I mention that Uncle Jesse/now Carl was looking mighty fine? Even Brit Brit agreed with me. She tweeted during the show, "John Stamos is still hot! He looks the same as he did on Full House." I was so with Santana in her assertion that he is “the hottest dentist” she has ever seen. And I like seeing Emma into someone other than Will.

But overall the show just seemed off its game a bit. Rachel’s version of “Baby One More Time” was whack, and I usually adore everything she does. And she seriously annoyed me with her assertion that Finn couldn’t have both her and a position on the football team. And then there was the much expected appearance of Ms. Spears herself.

Even if you gave yourself away to the fantasy Britneyville portal that was Carl’s office, her popping up here and there felt like they were pushing it. Almost as if once "Glee" got past the joy of actually having the star they built the show around available to appear, they were then at a loss as to what to do with her.

What say you? Were you a slave for “Glee’s” last episode?

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • television • TV recaps

1. www.dietcol.com

http://www.dietcol.com, _CGbguO, http://www.dietcol.com/sp/

February 4, 2012 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  2. Gufi Jackson

hi

Just wanted to suggest a Dentistry who has bonded over 20,000 porcelain restorations with impressive results since establishing their practice in 1986.

The Peninsula Center of Cosmetic Dentistry was the first practice to specialize in cosmetic dentistry in Northern California. Their practice is limited to cosmetic dental procedures.

Warm Regards,

Gufi Jackson

October 14, 2010 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  3. Olivia

Ok seriously, the people who are complaining about no story line, its the second eisode of the season! What did you expect? It was an entertaining episode. I don't think it was supposed to have a huge impact on the future story lines that are no doubt going to cmoe up in the weeks to come. If you think about it would you rather have this episode that was funny, out of nowhere and had no real meaning but to be fun and a shout out to Britney S. now or in the middle of the season when there WAS a real story line going on and we were engrossed in that? I love Glee and anything it comes up with. I honestly thought i would not like this episode BECAUSE of the Britney theme, but it suprised me when it had me laughing and actually looking forward to the next number. I am also a huge Paramore fan, so the last number just made the show that much better.

September 30, 2010 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  4. mushymushroom

Glee...last week the most awesome thing was Sunshine Corazon...

this week, well I loves Brittany and Britney but like most of the guys here, I too felt that the sudden Britney fantasies was a bit forced...but on the other hand I thought that it is a Britney episode so what shoould I expect?

I was a bit bored with this episode, too bad I'm a Spears fan but I still love the show though.

September 29, 2010 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • mushymushroom

sorry for the typos, a little to lazy to edit them though...lol

September 29, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Gary

I left the coveted 18-49 group 3 years ago chronologically, longer culturally, so, take this for what it's worth. Glee is a guilty pleasure for me. I like the talented cast on the show. Last week's episode was dismaying when they dissed all the great music they used last season that made the show worth watching for me. This week, the Britney episode. Although happy to see Brittany get some scenes(wow, can she move), the musical numbers exemplified what I find lacking with the real Britney. THEY ALL SOUNDED THE SAME. Did not matter who was the featured charactor. Disappointing. Also, they have turned a interesting storyline of a gay kid trying to get on in high school and at home into a crossdressing farce. Come on now, a skirt?

September 29, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sarah

It wasn't the best Glee to date however, Heather Morris was amazing, i think she's actually a much better dancer than Britney (I also loved her singing for once). Lea singing Britney was just wierd. She has such an amazing voice it's wasted on a Britney Spears song, it made the song sound bad because her voice is too good if that makes sense. Lea's much better singing a Barbara or Celine song.

September 29, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Hawk

You are all idiots. Get a life.

September 29, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Michael

Last night's Glee was a huge disappointment in terms of plot, music, and general show development. However, it did have one bright spot – the birth of Heather Morris' star potential. That girl came to the plate and swung it out of the park. While the show was dull and made lots of mistakes, her performance was spot-on. That girl is one we should be watching out for! http://www.thesmogger.com/2010/09/29/gleecap-leave-britney-alone/

September 29, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. joebaz

The show is a fantastic hour of escape. I'm not a Brittany fan, but this episode was true to her sensualize nature. I look forward to tighter storyline-music episodes. Start. Using more of the cast!

September 29, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dave

Not the best Glee to date.

September 29, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  11. glefan

I thought the show was off but Heather Morris rocked. That girl can dance! John Stamos stil lhas it too.

September 29, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. yeah buddy

props to heather morris(fo britney spears)her part was great and she can work them hips

September 29, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Raving Lunatic

I think you're all nuts. It's just Idol with a plot.

September 29, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Kattie

I'm mostly with Kelly. This episode might not have been their best, but it was still entertaining and enjoyable. Brittany S. Pierce rocked our socks off with those dance moves, the editors did an exceptional job at their...well... job, and John Stamos was entertaining. I actually liked Mr. Shu's "midlife crisis" because it reminded me of my high school days when my music teacher wanted to sing with us, but at the last minute decided it wasn't right. Probably a good idea.
    Conclusion: I want to see the writers sync up the songs with the story of each show, but I'll be watching the next episode!

September 29, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. comment

i don't know why people try to take this show so seriously. there have been so many outlandish and non-sensical moments that people shouldn't be surprised if the actual story line isn't amazing every single episode.

September 29, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Kareen

Worst show ever
    If I wan't to listen to babytalk and babysinging I listen to my kids.

September 29, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jacque

I had never watched Glee before and LOVED this one. If you guys say this was the worst than I look forward to the next show because I thougth this one was great. Brittany Spears looked amazing.

September 29, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Tara

I usually LOVE Glee.. I'm glad that there is a show that says it's okay to love singing and dancing and being yourself, regardless of what your peers think of you... but this episode was sad. Everything seemed forced and I thought Britney would have played a bigger role. Not only that but there was no story line.. Kind of weird.

September 29, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Kay

I thought that the episode started off on such an amazing high note with Glee's Brittany's fantasy. Girl is a killer dancer and did an AWESOME job! I didn't mind the Santana/Brittany combo for "Me Against the Music" either... I thought it was cute that Artie sang "Stronger" but Rachel's "Baby One More time" sucked. I wanted to see more Glee Brittany!! She was rockin'! As the episode when down it went from being potentially amazing to just ok.

Here's to next week!

September 29, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Elizabeth

This episode was awesome! Brittany did so good and I never thought she would be that good. This has to be one of my favorites ever.

September 29, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Head Diva In Charge

I really liked the episode. I do agree about Rachel's "Baby One More Time...", I expected more. But Britney S. Pearce was pretty awesome. I do love this show, and today I realized why. Don't we all have a fantasy of breaking out into random song and dance routines to let everyone know how we feel? I know I do – and that is why this show is so cool!

September 29, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  22. LaShawnda

I am not a Britney Spears fan. Therefore, I found that the show was over the top. 20 minutes into the show I texted a friend to say they are really shoving Britney's down our throats and the show is not over. I seen Heather dance with Beyonce and I was looking foward to seeing what she did on the show. Heather really delivered....the girl can DANCE. It is about time they showcase a different dancer. Overall...it was alright but not my favorite episode. I still love to the cast and look foward to watching it every week.

September 29, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  23. patti

Did not see the show but she is just an ok entertainer to me.

September 29, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Sarah M.

I thought that Heather Morris did an outstanding job on last night's show. Her singing was great, her dance moves were fantastic, and she did a great impersonation. After that first number she did, things started going downhill. I agree with Harper that the show highlights 'Rachel' too much. She can sing, but I'm getting tired of seeing her performing several numbers each show. When she is shooting the videos it looks like she is blatantly trying too hard.

September 29, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Kelly

People people people... Just because someone did not like last night's episode does NOT mean they don't like the show all in all. Let's not get junior high on CNN please. What I did like: Seeing Brittany get more of a center role, seeing Artie get on the football team, Kurt calling out Mr. Shu, Finn turning down Quinn, Rachel's ballad to Finn. What I didn't like: Santana (just in general), Mr. Shu having a midlife crisis, and Britney Spears being randomly thrown into scenes and all of the coincidental 'Britney fantasies." Did I love last night's episode? No. Was it a bit of a letdown? Yes. Will I stop watching the show? No. I think what people are trying to say is that they like Glee when the combination of music and plot actually makes sense. Last night, the plot was pretty much horrible and the way the songs were thrown in didn't make any sense. The lyrics of the songs had no relevancy to anything, but the problem is most Britney songs aren't 'deep,' so I can imagine it's hard to work a Britney song into a plot.

September 29, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  26. B-Dog

Worst. Show. Ever.

Un-F'n watchable. Is this really what America wants??

For the final episode they should get Gus Van Sant to do an 'Elephant' parody.

September 29, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Harper

seems most of us were disappointed in episode last night, but will not keep me away next week... hey producers, if you're reading this – we get it – Rachel is so very talented. She really is, but you could have had several of the other cast members participating in those Britney songs (2 of the musical numbers highlighted Rachel – again – come on – mix it up as we want to see the other cast members and their talents!). Let's not let TV imitate real life – for realio. ;)

September 29, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  28. MJ

Regardless if you like Spears or not and regardless if your the biggest Gleek ever, you have to admit... this had to be the worst Glee show to date. The "dentist" concept was totally stupid. In fact, all the storylines were stupid... even the few that there were. If it all continues in this direction, the show won't last long. PBS might have been more enjoyable than Glee!

September 29, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  29. me

I agree with Megan. I'm a HUGE Glee fan, but last night's show was awful. There were a few good points – seeing Heather dance was one of them. If nothing else, they defintely need to highlight her moves a lot more. The one musical number that didn't feel like it was added just because it was a Britney Spears song and it was a Britney Spears episode was the stronger song. The rest was just watching music videos. I'm not a Britney Spears fan, but heard she could act really well, so I was excited to see her acting ability. Instead, it looked like they saught out spots to put her in just so they could say Britney was in the show. Lea Michele should stay away from Britney Spears songs...LM's voice is too good for Britney's music. This show could have been 10 times better. SO disappointed...I'm sure next week's will be better.

September 29, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Alex

Have felt for the longest time that the show has been slipping. The Britney episode did some fine homages, but basically did nothing to progress the plot. Moreover, the more I see the things going on at the school, the more I'm convinced this is the worst school on the planet. Students destroying other student's property with no repercussions. Add to it the continuing manipulation by Rachel, and she's quickly becoming the worst person on this show. I enjoy the music and the comedy, but some of the writing lately has been poorly thought and executed. Cramming Britney Spears video homages into the show seems weak and cheap stunt casting, like adding Stamos, and bringing in Neil Patrick Harris last season. I liked the show, but it's definitely falling, and falling hard.

September 29, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barry

Oh please, what was Finn supposed to do? Run to Mr. Figgins or Will and tell them that the big, bad football players ripped his letter jacket? And that Artie saved him from a whuppin?

September 29, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Billy5

This was my FAVORITE Glee episode to date. Entertaining, hilarious, amazing. After a long, terrible day it changed my mood 180 degrees! Great job Glee cast and writers!

September 29, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Faith

I'm the BIGGEST GleeK ever! And there's absolutely nothing you can do to change that. I Loved it when Artie sang on the football field too! <3

September 29, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Jimmy

I liked the show but I am losing interest because they seem to have given everyone makeovers and it appears they are acting differently too. As if they are full of themselves. I long for last seasons writing and cast before the budget bump and cast makeover

September 29, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rachel

Exactly....they seemed to have changed the personalities. Kurt and Rachel especially...bit of Finn to.

September 29, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Holly Golightly

Yeah I agree with Al. I love Glee, but not this episode. I was really bored, and that's unusual for this show. The story was weak. John Stamos was HOT, but he and Emma are weird together. Brittany was funny! Britney just being there was lame–I wished they would have made her a character. Rachel really creeped me out in her "Hit me one more time" video. She really did look like a child predator's dream. Her body is too prepubescent to pull off that look successfully. The Lady Gaga episode was better because it had a stronger storyline. I hope next week is better.

September 29, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  35. bobbi sue

This episode was an EPIC FAIL! I love GLEE and wait with anxious anticipation for each new show....I am truly hoping next week will not be such a let down. Sadly, the previews didn't look very promising. I als9 agree that Rachel's performance was mediocre at best on last night's set. It was very disappointing. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore this series, but hope season 1 wasn't all it has to offer us, that would be quite a shame.

September 29, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  36. BUNNY

THERE IS NO BAD GLEE, SERIOUSLY, BRITANY DID GOOD AND THE SHOW ROCKED, TRUE FANS OF THIS SHOW UNITE AGAINST THE NAY SAYERS!!!

September 29, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ellen

I AM A TRUE FAN- but not of this episode. It felt disjointed, pieced together and all over the place. I will continue to be a true fan, but will pretend this episode didn't really happen.

September 29, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Coach

We've become big Glee fans but this episode definitely disappointed except for Heather Morris. ranchy, disjointed and at time not funny.

September 29, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Al

I thankfully dvr-ed this episode, and found myself fast-forwarding through most of the musical numbers. Yes, Britney Spears IS about her entertainment value, but this show was not entertaining. i definitely agree with the statement about how the writers were at a loss as to what to do with Britney once she appeared on screen. The girl CAN act, and she's been a great cameo in other shows, but this was a major FAIL. Brittany's one-liners kept me with it, and their rendition of Toxic was well done (but it felt creepy with Shu on stage with them). Other than that i was bored out of my mind.

September 29, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Lorin

I am a fan of Britney Spears and so I definitely enjoyed having her music through out the episode. However, it definitely was differnt. And, there was absolutely no story line to it at all. The video remakes were great. The character who plays Brittany looked just like Britney from afar. She isn't my favorite Gleek though.... I was a little disappointed that Quinn really had not part at all in this episode. I liked that Britney Spears made some apperances here and there. The dental theme was rediculous but it's Glee... some times it's wacky and crazy and sometimes it's not. I can't wait to see the next one!

September 29, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  40. jon

Megan & Allison, If you hate the show so much, why are you reading articles about it. Glee isnt a show that tackles current hard hitting issues, its a musical comedy. Hints, lots of music and lots of laughs and thats exactly what last night was.

September 29, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • megan

i don't hate glee, i actually like it. when it's right, there's nothing else like it on tv. but when it's wrong, like last night, it's a commercialized mess. i love the show when it's intertwining musical numbers with aspects of these kids' lives.

September 29, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joie

That's a really interesting observation about the music being intertwined with their lives. But.....I guess I can't see how dressing up as Kiss or Lady Gaga....really brought home the point of 'being yourself' and wasn't a bit of a commercial as well. AND Lady Gaga didn't even make an appearance. At least Brittany was on the show.

September 29, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • megan

fyi joie, i didn't care for those episodes either. i prefer episodes like "sectionals," where they set quinn's labor to bohemian rhapsody. that is what i mean by intertwining the music with the characters' lives. a lot of the time, the songs just feel so shoehorned in.

September 29, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joie

megan-I completely agree with you about the sectionals episode and how they combined bohemian rhapsody with quinn's labor. I think that was probably the most impressive segment of Glee out of both seasons so far.

September 29, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • ADefiniteGleek

I have to agree with you, Megan.

September 29, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Alison

Perfect example of why this show is so horrible. It is like one long commercial for the "Glee" soundtrack and nothing else... this episode exemplified that. Except it was also one long commercial for Britney's albums.

September 29, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • spierce

It's called Glee, but you act like it should have no music. Talk about clueless.

September 29, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Joie

Okay haters, lol. Why is everyone trying to get all deep about Glee? Jon is right. Brittany (Spears, not. S. Pierce) is entertainment and the show was, while not for younger kids eyes and maybe a little sleezy, it was definitely entertaining. I thought thought Heather Morris did an awesome job. And as the article says, the one liners always bridge the moments when not too much is happening. All in all, I was really happy that I watched it via DVR at 9pm and was able to fast forward through the commercials cause I wanted to see what happened next. And yes, Jon Stamos...usually not a fan, but damn....he definitely had my attention last night.

September 29, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • megan

um, because if i wanted to just watch musical numbers, i could look up videos on youtube. i don't have to watch a tv show for that. i want interesting plot and storylines, and glee is only so-so about delivering it.

September 29, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Topeka

i agree with everything you say Joie, now i didn't like Rachel's baby one more time but other then that it was good i love it.

September 29, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Caroline M

The blond looked the best as brittany.. all others failed..

September 29, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Jon

I have to say my first impression was similar but the more i thought about it, the more they really did pay tribute to Britney. Her songs aren't brilliantly written, they are just fun! She is known for her entertainment factor, not her great voice. It was all about the dance numbers and a homage to her great videos. I kind of like how they poked fun at themselves and allowed the episode to focus on the music and not so much on the storyline.

September 29, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • megan

lol. so basically you don't care about well-written tv, you just want musical numbers? how about you watch some music videos instead? this episode blew, i watch this show for the storylines just as much as for the music.

September 29, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • jon

No, i love the show in general, but I love Britney more. So i was happy to see them pay tribute to her and put the storyline on the side for her.

That is all.

September 29, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • WpgMom

LOL, looks like a few here got thier Tivo's mixed up. They were expecting Masterpiece Theatre instead of Glee. Glee is all about wrapping a weak story around a bunch of music videos. That's what I love about it. Admittedly, this time the story was extra weak but everything is a range right?
      BTW, LOVE the new football coach and I hope they bring back the Fillipino girl. She is awesome!

September 29, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Joe

I love Glee and look forward to it every week. However, this episode was TERRIBLE.

The "I had a Britney fantasy because I went to the dentist and he used nitrous" thing was beyond ridiculous. Did EVERY character go to the dentist? I was waiting for Principal Figgins to have his own Britney fantasy after awhile.

September 29, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • ADefiniteGleek

I agree. I, too, look forward to Glee every week but both shows this season have been a bit disappointing. Why mess with a good thing? When did Rachel become so mean and Finn.....why would they make him say such mean things to Rachel....someone he supposedly loves. Not sure where it's going but I'm disappointed.

September 29, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Debra

I agree! The show sucked big time. Probably won't watch again.

September 29, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  47. DougB

I thought this Britney episode was the worst. It had no story–just a string of music videos. It came off sleezy too. I hope this isn't a taste of things to come!

September 29, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |