The detainees' secret revealed on 'The Event'
September 28th, 2010

The detainees' secret revealed on 'The Event'

[Editor's note: You know the drill by now. If you haven't watched the latest episode of "The Event," stop reading now.]

For those of you who had "they're aliens" in "The Event" pool, it looks like you're a winner.

Monday night's episode revealed that the mysterious detainees whom President Martinez was planning to release had crashed in Alaska back in 1944, and these "non-terrestrial" beings had been locked up ever since for refusing to reveal their "agenda." This is all according to the President's adviser Blake Sterling, played by Željko Ivanek, whom we know is up to no good - because he's played by Ivanek.

Martinez tries to get to the bottom of this by talking to Sophia but he doesn't get very far. Oh, by the way, Sophia and her people/aliens, including CIA operative Simon Lee (who had an icky moment - rivaling "V," that other alien show - involving a fake vein in his arm), haven't aged a day in over 60 years.

It's still not clear (like a lot of things on this show) if the people who kidnapped Sean's girlfriend Leila (and killed her mother) are with or against the aliens. The President assumes that they didn't want him to release them.

As for Leila's dad, he appears to be dead, along with the passengers on the plane - minus our hero, Sean - and that's all the mysterious Thomas's doing. I sensed an "X-Men" vibe with this show and I'm still getting it. Is Thomas the Magneto to Sophia's Xavier (making Simon Cyclops)?

If you were hoping for less time-jumping this week, you were out of luck. They've certainly got the "Lost"-esque flashbacks down, but they're not handled as well. I'm especially puzzled by the inclusion of the scene where Sean first met Leila - I have a suspicion that Leila might be "one of them."

And poor Sean seems condemned to be like the late, great Kevin McCarthy from "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" on this show: constantly telling people a crazy story, but no one believes him.

The big question which will probably drive this season - aside from "What is the Event?" - is whether the aliens are good or evil... (As for the kidnappers, I'll go ahead and place them in the evil camp.)

What did you think of the second episode? Are you still intrigued enough to stick around for the long run, or did this week's revelations turn you off to the show? Share your views on video or in the comments below.

1. Bill

My theory is that they are actually Neanderthals...rivals of Cro-Magnons (us) who disappeared many thousands of years ago. They could have evolved into a technological civilization and moved outward to the stars.

March 8, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. LK2

I watched the first episode, but decided that would be the last episode. I hate shows that flash backwards, forward, sideways and frontways! It makes me crazy! So The Event was un"event"ful for me! Aliens, blech. I hate when you don't know who to trust, too!

October 19, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rich Martocchio

That last post should have read another plane of existance. My sixth finger always gets in the way, when I'm typing. ;)

October 19, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rich Martocchio

Maybe they are not from the future, but from another dimension. The other dimension would occupy the same space, but on anaother plane of existance. So, the Event might be going to happen on our plane, but it would effect the same space. This could be why the detainees needed to come to our plane, to try and stop the Event from happening.
    Just a thought. :)

October 19, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ANNA MARIA GONZO

KEEP IT GOING....MAKE IT UP AS YOU GO. LIKE THE SUSPENSE.

October 5, 2010 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  6. Luna

I will keep watching. I'm a sucker for a good alien or "keep watching and figure out what we are going to do next" type of show. Just like "Lost" i will want to see what the end result is even if I'm disappointed in what the actual story is.

September 30, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  7. recognizer

Ivanek is so charismatic and likeable. It's too bad he's been typecast so badly that it's becoming a punchline.

September 29, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. madman

i cant see waiting around for a 5 year run to see the end result. it has some good pts but i wont bother with it

September 29, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  9. Emily

they may have a 1% difference in DNA but that does not mean they are alien.
    the government assumes they are non-terrestrial... but again. this doesn't mean "alien"
    I think they are evolved humans and from the future
    one of the chicks at the site of the wreck in 1944 had a 40s hairstyle... were they prepped to blend in with the times? and if so, how would they know what the styles were of an alien species? But they did... suggests human to me.

September 29, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
    • IVBranch

Emily, your right they are not humans. They are more evolved humans but not from the future. They are from the same time as everyone else. Its a comparison between the war between us and the cromagnon humans.

October 1, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Scott FL

I'll give it another chance, but it's starting to look a little cheesy to me. Hopefully things that seem like cheap plot contrivances now (the scene with Greg and Leila, for example) will turn out to be setups for surprises later. Also Sean sure got dressed and out of his hospital room awful fast, but that is probably just nitpicking. Definitely think it is worth giving the show some more time though.

September 29, 2010 at 3:01 am | Report abuse |
  11. Eve

Hi there is a huge hand down on the show notice the spelling of the word EVE and her image? As to why

EVE NT – Do you know the meaning of NT? Is not what you think and the 1% DNA change is the give away... if you look closer you might find it very difficult to find Eve whom was Eve challange by in all history and who is ADAM notice the spelling of her Boyfriend's Name MADA this is a huge clue as well you just need to look closer is not what you think...
    Aliens hmmmm perhaps but who are the aliens?

September 28, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. b badger

they are cylons

September 28, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Victor

Aliens – been done
    Tinme Travel – been done
    Secret Conspiracies – been done

Catch my drift NBC?

This show is interesting, but not new or groundbreaking. Everything we've seen so far is not really innovative or fresh. more like a rehash of a bunch of other sci-fi shows.

Unless they come up with an out of left field explanation for what the detainees really are and what their agenda really is I can't see this show surviving more than 2 seasons.

I miss Heroes (circa first two seasons, everything afterwards was a downward spiral).

September 28, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Tiffany H

I like it. I'm interested enough to want to know what these nonterrestrial beings are after. Some of you are just whiners. Stop with the comparisons. I never watched Lost so this show doesn't bother me in the least. And obviously the time jumps are filling in gaps which will eventually tell us the whys. People ugh.

September 28, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Scott W.

I have mixed feelings about this show.

On one hand, it's a little intriguing, but they did the #1 rookie mistake of serial writing – giving away too big a piece of the puzzle too early on. What they should've done is make the plot more interesting by focusing on fewer characters and making their lives more interesting (i.e., focusing creativing energy and budget) instead of spreading the story across a large ensemble cast that requires spreading a weak plot a little too thinly. For that matter, have some characters who are interesting (I'm sorry, but people like Sean, his bland girlfriend, and a "24 already played the Afican American as President card" no personality Commander in Chief are pretty weak lead characters to arrange a conspiracy plot around). Have the smaller number of characters experience more strange events and leave the audience wondering about the detainees and what their story is. Now that we know they're all aliens, the only real question left is "are they good aliens or bad aliens?" and if the following episodes are as boring as the first two, no one will soon care.

The other issue is this is basically a rip-off of 24's stylized storytelling (there's a huge conspiracy involving legit members of and undercover bad guys in the government) and production design (minus the real-time gimmick), and it feels "old hat." Jumping back and forth from "present day" to "four days earlier," "13 months earlier" or "66 years ago" is already way overused and tedious (and a plot device best used after more immediately relevant storyline is established.

The bottom line is NBC tried too little, too late with a show idea based on too many other concepts that already made their marks in other much better shows.

September 28, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott W.

I can't edit my comment, but I should follow up by saying that it's clear to me now that I don't have mixed feelings about the show and I didn't have an opposing point to offer!

September 28, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jeff

I don't think it's as cut and dry as "they're aliens". The said they were non-terrestrial, but said that their genetics only varied from humans by 1%... that still leaves the door open for the time travel theory. People from the future would show a slight genetic shift from people of today, so it may be that they are from distant and technologically advanced humans. At least, that's what I thought they were suggesting.

I like the X-men idea though...

September 28, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  17. jon

Was pretty annoyed/bored with the first episode, didn't really care to waste my time with the 2nd. I'm a little tired to tv shows trying to jerk me around just to get me to watch 5 more minutes.

September 28, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Shawn

I like serialized shows and was a big fan of LOST and 24... but NOT a fan of shows about aliens... so goodbye THE EVENT. Granted every once in a while aliens are interesting in film and tv, but to me they're a cheat because then all the rules can change... why because they're aliens!

September 28, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • IVBranch

Hey Shawn, don't give up yet they are not aliens. They say non terrestrial to throw us off. The truth is that they are humans from earth just more evolved, like the differance from us and cromagnon humans. Its sort of like the X-men without all the mutants and super powers. Their plan in the beginning was probable be fruitful and multiply under our noses and wait our species out, like we did cromagnon man. But know its war and they are going to wipe us out. Check out an old tv show called Prey it didn't stay on long but it was good to me. It came on about 14 years ago.

October 1, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Myome

Yes I'll have to watch next week to see what's going on and because they've got hotties like Blair Underwood and Ian Anthony Dale.

September 28, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |