'Hawaii Five-O': Settling in
September 28th, 2010

'Hawaii Five-O': Settling in

Last night's episode of "Hawaii Five-O" showed that the revival is getting into a familiar pattern - a healthy mix of fast cars, heavy action and bland humor.

The episode started with a bang, courtesy of a scene that reminded me of those car commercials where several people are happily driving when they're suddenly struck by another vehicle. This time, the accident ended with a bunch of people in one vehicle kidnapping a man in another vehicle. You'd think the kidnappers would ask for proof of insurance, but no.

Turns out the kidnapping victim is a cyber-terrorism expert whose abduction could breach national security, while the kidnappers are Serbian thieves (are there any homegrown criminals on this show?) who wanted the man to hack into government infrastructure programs. It's up to Five-O to save the day, and the gang does it the only way they know how - loud and violent.

By the time the cyber-terrorism expert was rescued, the man's Justin Bieber-wannabe son was kidnapped, Kono (Grace Park) brawled with a female member of the abduction ring in a swimming pool and McGarrett (Alex O'Loughlin) held one of the suspects from the side of a luxury hotel by his feet. This show gets more accomplished in an hour compared to what I can do in a week.

We were also treated to the show's attempts at comedy, highlighted by McGarrett, Danno (Scott Caan) and Chin Ho (Daniel Dae Kim), guns loaded and wearing bulletproof vests, briefly sharing a hotel elevator with a few tourists. There's trying to keep a show light, and then there's that.

There was also plenty of interplay between Danno and McGarrett, particularly when it came to McGarrett delivering his signature "Book 'em Danno" line at the end. Danno didn't seem amused at the quip - perhaps McGarrett should book a suspect every so often?

What did you think of last night's "Hawaii Five-O" episode?

1. Big Island Condo Rentals l Hawaii Condo Rentals l Hawaii Vacation Rentals l Kauai Condo Rentals l Maui Condo Rentals l Oahu Condo Rentals

It's appropriate time to make some plans for the long run and it's time to be happy. I have read this post and if I may just I want to suggest you some attention-grabbing issues or advice. Maybe you could write next articles relating to this article. I want to learn even more issues about it!

July 22, 2012 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
  2. guest0987

This show not for me at all. Just mindless blow ups and shoot outs. I guess lots of kids like it since that is all they are used to. Thumbs down.

October 19, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. charlene

ok guys this hawaii five 5-0 is not the same i was a kid back then when jack lord was on but this one has some thing better i watch this show every week and i like it it gets better evey week alex is a great actor moonlight was good cbs made a misstake to take it off so try to keep this show on it is number one so far

October 14, 2010 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Vrinda

Charlene, shut up and learn how to write! There is no redeeming quality in this garbage. The original was classy. The new one is trash. It's just mindless shooting and killing. Judging by your posts, that would appeal to you.

December 31, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kurt

The new CBS version of the iconic "Hawii Five-0" appeared to have reached a new Technicolor abyss by excessive stereotyping of characters throughout the hourlong drama. It failed also to make an emotional connection with the beautiful state of Hawai'i. If anything this new crime drama will likely make visitors think twice before booking that Pacific flight to Honolulu. This is unfortunate and a missed opportunity. There was an almost-seeming purposefulness in avoiding Hawaiian culture that pervades the episode. Most likely mainland viewers will simply see the blue ocean and the luxury Kahala estates and exotic locales, while failing to make any connection with Hawai'i. The final scene of the initial episode felt so empty even when the characters were trying to find a shared spirit. This was the most disappointing part that no family, no ohaha, was evident in this new drama.

October 11, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Tony

First off I am retired PD won't mention what department. I loved the original with Jack Lord. Please tone down the banter between Danno and McGarret. In real world policing it would never ever happen. McGarrett is the boss and that's that. Also calm down on the explosions, chases and everything in between. I would like to see the show last at least a couple of seasons. The show has great potential. Let's tone it down a bit. So far Chin Ho is very believable. The same can be said for Kono. I like how they portray their characters. Chin Ho looks intense but cool. It's nice to have a female in the show as they have made great inroads in police department throughout the U.S.So far she hasn't been made to appear like a superwoman. Lets keep it realistic. I love the location shots in high def. Makes me want to jump on a plane on join HPD. I wish!!!

October 6, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. charlene

hi i love hawaii five 50 the sound and music are not the same but back then there was no hd so give tghis show a break
    i like the new sound it sounds the same but people the hawaii you talk about was 40 years a go every thing will not say the same i find this show great each week it gets better and better cbs got a hit and alex o'loughlin is great and the cast work great with him
    charlene

October 6, 2010 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  7. standingbear73

I just gave up on Hawaii Five-O after tonight's episode. The Producer and the Sound Mixer should be fired. You can't hear what is being said because the music and background noise is so much louder. I even backed the treble and base back all the way, it helped a little, but the show just is not intelligible my wife agreed me. We will start watching one of the other networks.

October 4, 2010 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • R Creek

I agree 100 % standingbear73. I gave up on the show after a few episodes for that very reason although what I could actually hear appeared to be a good series. If the producers care and correct this problem maybe they can make it a great show.

November 18, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dot Dot Dot

Fun show. A few not-so-funny funny moments, but I attribute that to just the newness of the show as the writers/actors/characters gel. I think this is one of those shows that will just get better over time.

October 3, 2010 at 4:29 am | Report abuse |
  9. Marc Paris

They have to have an episode with Tom Selleck as Magnum-his military background & age will fit in perfectly.Hopefully CBS will free him up for an episode or 2.

October 2, 2010 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
  10. Michele

I LOVE the show! I also was a huge fan of the original series – had Jack Lord posters in my room. The is an awesome update – and I like the banter . . . . .keep it because it makes it real.

October 1, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  11. Andrea

I love it! I'm lucky to live here and while they need to get a few details right (it's NEVER 110 here), I think they are doing a great job. It's fun to watch and I don't feel creeped out like I do when I, rarely, watch other crime dramas (Criminal Minds gives me nightmares). It's all about entertainment; don't we have enough real-life drama?

September 30, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. emily38002

I agree with Sarah above. the 2 shows are NOT the same. However, the original was great and I loved it as a kid. I want to see how the characters develop here. I also think that more of the "hawaiian" culture and scenery needs to be incorporated as that is one of the things I remembered from the original. the beauty of the landscape and the mystery of the hawaiian culture. they could be filming in detroit for all the magic of the islands they have included so far. I like it and I will continue to watch!!!! Love me some Alec & Scott!!!

September 30, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  13. sarah

You can't really compare the two shows as the original Hawaii five-0 ended in 1980, while it was good for the time it wouldn't hold up these days in comparison to the new show. This one is much more slick, full of action, fast paced and I love the banter between McGarret and Danno. On a purely shallow note, Alex O'laughlin is hot, hot, hot!!!

September 30, 2010 at 6:14 am | Report abuse |
  14. Hawaii Ed

Good episode overall...i guess the Mustang is gone? I ive in Hawaii, and they havet o do better with the facts...McGarrett asks Dano how many cases he solved wearing a tie in 110 degree heat? This is not Vegas. We never see 100, let alone 110....

But nice scenery, and fun show. I look forward to more.

September 29, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  15. LocalGuy

I was born and raised in Hawaii and grew up watching the show. Me and my firends had plenty to do when growing up but we were always in front of the tube when Hawaii Five-O came on. I had even exchanged some pleasant words to Jack Lord on several occasions when I ran into him at Ala Moana. I understand that there won't be total approval for the show by everyone and that is fair. However, we have to understand that it is a post 9-11 version of Five-O and comparisons to the original are a bit out of place. I'm loved the original and am very sensitive to anything negative to the my home state and of course to my beloved Hawaii Five-O. But in all honesty, I really liked the new show. I think with time, the characters, writing, and the other nuances will be worked out and it'll be even more enjoyable. Most importantly, I also hope the producers will wake up and realize that shortening such an iconic opening theme is not the way to go. It is one of the most memorable and iconic themes of all time. Yes, commercial time is big money but I think the full 108 seconds will pay for itself many times over.

September 29, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  16. LynnC

I am loving this "reboot" and, yes, I did watch the original. This has a lot more zip, action, and what's not to love about the cast? The four characters have great chemistry together. I personally enjoy the banter between McGarrett and Danno; it balances out the shoot 'em ups. Now I am waiting for the character development which for sure will be upcoming.

September 29, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  17. Deborah

The first Hawaii Five O was much classier–kind of "James Bondish".
    This new version–very junior high school-ish. Not one of the characters seems to be the "top dog".
    That was clearly evident in the first series.

September 29, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  18. Alex

I absolutely LOVE it. however, who's the fifth person of the Five-O?
    i mean there's only mcgarrett, kono, danno and chin-ho... so who's the fifth one?

September 29, 2010 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  19. KylieKyotie

Fun show! Been a fan of Alex's for a while – not just "another pretty face" (although, admittedly, lovely to look at – total package – he can act and looks good doing it). Glad he has a good show to work with – love the supporting cast – Scott Caan is great – always a reliable smart**s (like he was in the Ocean's movies). Also, Scott looks to have a killer beach body as well from one of the promos I saw. More of that coming!? I will keep watching this show – hope they get some better dialogue though – the cast can handle it!

September 29, 2010 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |
  20. Gman

This product placement thing is going too far...... this show has potential, but if it turns into a rolling Chevrolet commercial, I'm outta here. I'd expect the sponsors cars to be in the show, but cops most always drive Fords and so that's whats realistic. If McGarrett is going to drive the new Camaro, they damn well better keep Danno prominently driving his 2011 Five 0 Mustang! First episode had the Mustang and a peek at old man McGarrett's big black Mercury! 2nd episode and it suddenly looks like a GM commercial with Fords being used for cannon fodder. That sucks. CBS should know better than to let a sponsor take over the show.

September 29, 2010 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Claudine

Totally agree with Gman. The Chevy product placement of spotless vehicles is really going overboard. (and I like Chevy!) I can't figure out whose Camaro it is since they've both driven it, and now McGarrett has a brand new Chevy pickup! Put a little dirt on those things and stop placing them in the middle of every shot.
      Otherwise, it's a corny show that I'll like to watch if they back off on the commercial aspect.

October 11, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  21. mmi16

Taped it....fell asleep watching.

September 29, 2010 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  22. Caro

Really enjoying the show....it has more than lived up to it's hype. The original was a Classic and this show is definitely a a Classic-N- the-Making. The action is great, well done & fast..........almost as fast as the banter between McGarrett & Danno. Great show, great cast, excellent writing! I"m in for the long haul for sure!

September 28, 2010 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Johnny

I am hoping that this is still in prequel mode as the team isn't even referred to as "Five-O" yet. Originally the original show was going to be called "The Man", indicating that McGarrett is the boss. Consequently, Danno needs to show a little respect for McGarrett. These guys need shaves and to dress up a bit and show respect for their position. Where's Wo Fat? Finally, the music during the show needs to mix in some Hawaiian rythyms as well as variations off the original theme music.

September 28, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Me23

Good?!!? Are you kidding? This was one of the worst shows of the Season. My wife and I laughed our way through the plot dialog and acting. With writing like this is it anywonder why HBOhas all the thunder? We'll be sure to miss future episodes.

September 28, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Siobhan

I totally love this show already and Alex is so amazingly hot!!

September 28, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Jabbet

The show is okay but I am a fan of the original. I really don't like the relationship between the new McGarret and Danno. I can't imagine Jack Lord allowing Danny Williams to hit him in the face and curse him out. There's no clear group leader, it seems as if Danno has as much power as McGarret.

September 28, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Penny

I was a loyal fan of the original, and I think they're doing a great job with the re-boot. Love that they kept the original music and similar opening sequence! Also, McGarret had to be played by a strong man, and O'Louglin fits the bill – wow. Dano is great too – I like their camaraderie, as well as the whole team. Will definitely keep watching.

September 28, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  28. ILLINOIS

Allyson

I'm all for keeping Mr. O'Loughlin on the tube, but CBS should rue the day they cancelled his vampire PI show 'Moonlight' – it was a season ahead of it's time; and for crying out loud, it ended with a cliffhanger! Also nice to see Daniel Dae Kim didn't have to relocate from Hawaii.

September 28, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply

scrambled

I agree!! I still watch the DVDs of Moonlight on a frequent basis. That show was hot!

September 28, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |

totally agree – Bring Mick St. John back!

September 28, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Bill M.

Does anyone know what kind of watch O'loughlin(MacGarret) is wearing? Show is great and will look even better to you mainlanders in the dead of winter.

September 28, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Brian

My wife and I did not think we would like the show. I loved the original Hawaii 5-O Reruns when I was a kid.
    We love it. Scott Caan as the new Dan-o is great! Love the whole cast as well as Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park. Just a fun show. I am surprised considering Chase is such a snooze there is actually something to watch late at night, which my wife and I do not normally stay up.

September 28, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  31. An older guy

Your question "are there any homegrown criminals on this show?" brings up a bit of trivia from the original show. None of the criminals on the old show were Hawaiian. They were always non-Hawaiians, whether they were Asian or folks from the mainland. My brothers and I noticed that during our weekly viewings of the show.
    I like the new version. All they need to do now is redo the epic "V for Vashon" 3-episode arc from the original series! It was awesome.

September 28, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  32. DEE

I LOVE IT AND I LOVE CSI MAIMI AND CSI I TAKE THEM ALL GREAT WRITTING

September 28, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Daisy

So far this show is very entertaining. I don't mind if the story line is a tad bit unrealistic but this is TV! What do you expect? Plus, O'Loughlin, Caan and Kim are perfect eye candy within a perfect island setting. Can't wait for more exciting episodes!!

September 28, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  34. SheRa

I think the cast is great! Love Grace Park, Alex O'Loughlin and Daniel Dae Kim. The show holds promise. Action packed fight seems and witty banter remind me of the good old "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" days. Give the writers a chance. They are just warming up!!

September 28, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  35. peter

Nothing like the original – except the sound track. McGarrett used his brain first and the show had a story that you could follow, investigative cops. This is just another blow it up action show with no story 4 young kids that just bust down doors and shoot the bad guys with no plan – but against way superior odds walk out with out a scratch. Its like the A team for the 2010 era – nothing believable – just mindless action. I mean really who writes this dribble, at least give it a script that has some possible reality – especially a cop show. My kids just laugh all the way through the show – if that's what their going for – mindless explosive shoot-um up action – they have arrived !

September 28, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  36. CarlD

Almost as bad as CSI: Miami. Over-the-top action, cliched writing, even the decent acting jobs can't save this for me. Too bad, I love Daniel Dae Kim.

September 28, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Jim

The ending sequence with the blast in the hanger, and then the cast being splayed out in front of the sponsor's spotless Chevy Cruise was a bit tacky. How about a show where the sponsor doesn't throw their product in obvious places.

September 28, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Ha! I noticed that too. The brand new Chevy looking like it just rolled off the showroom floor surrounded by burning debris.

September 28, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Max

Get used to more and more obvious product placement Jim. The more people that use Digital Video Recorders to skip past commercials, the more desperate sponsors will be to get their products seen in other ways.

September 28, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Robert

Long time fan here. Mary is wrong; keep the banter because it is well written. Also WHERE IS WOFAT??? Is Victor going to be this show's attempt at Wofat? He was good, but he was no wofat.

I like the new show. I think Alex is doing a great job, but I would lighten up on the Jack Bauer stuff...

September 28, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Mary

Get rid of the comedy, especially the very bad comedic banter between McGarret and Danno! Action sequences and story are good but the BAD comedy makes me want to turn the channel.

September 28, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bruce

I completely agree. It's all a bit silly, put-on and phony. The banter on NCIS-LA is much more realistic (not so hot on the original NCIS). Enjoyed the action and the stories, not the junior high back and forth.

September 28, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • sherri

I think you are the first person that doesn't like the banter!

September 29, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Allyson

September 28, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • scrambled

September 28, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Eduardo

Why in every CBS show do the cops have to go in "hot" when there is people to rescue? Guns ablazin' at least 6-8 henchmen lost their lives including the villainness! Imagine all that paperwork ! All approved by the Governor of Hawaii. That being said....Great show! Can't wait for next week! Less midriff baring from Grace Park, more from Scott Caan.

September 28, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ged

Great show! Intro theme brings back a lot of great memories. Eduardo, i agree with you Scott Caan is hot. But, James MacArthur was even hotter in the original!!!

September 28, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  42. James

I thought the show was fun and enjoyable to watch. It is not written as well as Criminal Minds, but I still found myself enjoying both episodes so far, and looking forward to the next.

September 28, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Mei Lan

Loved Ep #2! It's a cool show with lotso action and well-timed comedic interplay between McGarrett and Danno. The pilot paid homage to the iconic "Book 'em, Danno" line. Ep #2 again references the line but this time with Danno's input. Alex O'Loughlin reminds me of Dirty Harry's shoot 'em up style but he's also a solid team leader who's genuinely interested in his crew members. The shots of Alex coming out of the water after a swim would be gratuitous except the guy has the best 6-pack abs in primetime! H50 is fun and funny – what's not to like on a Monday night?

September 28, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  44. MattK

Pilot episode was great and last nights episode was great. McGarrett and Danno play well off each other. Having a female play the "Kono" roll was brilliant. She seems to do more a**kicking than the guys for a change. Enjoyed the original Hawaii Five-0 and am liking this one as well.

September 28, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Cheryl

I was a die hard fan of the first one growing up and I like this version. It's updated but it's nice to see them bring in some of the old and I have always been a huge fan of that intro and song

September 28, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Dave

I liked it.Good mix of old and new. I like the action and interplay between characters. I was a big Nash Bridges fan and I am glad to see CBS with another action drama.. Seems like there should always be a TV show in Hawaii. Looks great in HD.

September 28, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • jeddak

I loved the opening episode and the 2nd was not as good but I'm interested enough to keep watching for now.I love kono (never thought I'd ever say that) and was a big fan of the original. The show just has to find it's path and until then I'm unsure how long I will watch.

September 28, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • gary

Enjoyable, better than I thought it would be. Comjplaint....Get the Military uniforms right at least....A Lcdr in the navy does not have gold braid on his hat. Come on guys...in a huge Navy town you shouldn't miss that.

September 29, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |