Katy Perry pokes fun at 'Sesame Street' controversy
September 27th, 2010

Katy Perry pokes fun at 'Sesame Street' controversy

Katy Perry taught "Sesame Street" a little lesson of her own this weekend.

After being snipped from an upcoming episode of the classic children's series reportedly because her top revealed too much cleavage, the singer turned up on "Saturday Night Live" busting out of an Elmo tee – and helped deliver some of the show's highest ratings.

Perry's offending "Sesame Street" segment had her wearing a low-cut acid-green top and attempting to play dress-up with Elmo while singing a cleaned-up version of her hit song, "Hot N Cold." For her "SNL" skit, called "Bronx Beat," the 25-year-old star donned a revealing  T-shirt featuring the furry red monster's face and even more of her ample bosom on display.

Guest host Amy Poehler and former cast member Maya Rudolph also appeared in the skit as local talk-show hosts interviewing innocent teen Maureen (Perry) about the unintentional "hullabaloo" she's been creating at the local library because of her blossoming body.

"Looks like today's show is brought to you by the number 38 and the letter double D," quipped Poehler's character. Added Rudolph, "Look at Elmo! His head's all stretched out!" Ultimately, the duo concluded, "Who cares if kids are looking at boobs? Boobs feed babies."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Katy Perry • Music • television

1. Mr Glen

this woman–along with lady gag me are obviously retarded and so are the morons who patronize their garbage

October 12, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. KatyLover

Check out great pictures and news about katy here!

October 4, 2010 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |
  3. tara

Watch serials online

October 1, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. forge

Latest Radio online

October 1, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Achild

Katy Perry is a talented artist. I am however not her biggest fan and probably will never be. but she does write very good songs and they are always catchy. she has a lovely voice. i happened to see the segment and children everyday see more than what she showed. on the school bus your kids will see more than that. out on the lake, creek, beach your children see more than that. i believe that S.S should have showed that segment i think it would have been very cute, entertaining, and educational. if S.S. knew that or felt that her outfit was too revealing then they should have fixed before the scene was shot. i feel that parents are bored and just need to find something to complain about. its dumb, times have changed people you really need accept that fact and move on.

September 28, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  6. ApeHanger

Katy Perry is just another in a long line of untalented wannabe singers. She has the looks of a goddess, and the voice of a crow.

September 28, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  7. LLIBSETAG

Got Milk?

September 28, 2010 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
  8. wilson

She is portraying a 16 year old librarian? Jail Bait!

September 28, 2010 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  9. Frank

I absolutely cannot stand Katy Perry (I am not a fan of anyone who exploits LGBT ident!ties for attention or hypocritical 'good little Christians') but the s@xual repression of Americans is absolutely sickening. Our bodies are works of art, not filthy things to hide and be ashamed of. If anything, those parents should be ashamed. Their children will most likely end up scr#wed up.

September 27, 2010 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. AWMessenger

Katy is a cutie. I'll bet she gets back on SS.

September 27, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. eric

It's too bad this is getting so much attention. Sesame Street would have been a lot smarter to say "hey the parents dont like this so we are just going to do a reshoot of the segment." It would have saved face for everyone.

September 27, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. kd

WOW- it is truly amazing how much attention this woman is getting. I can't even believe I am up this late reading all of these comments! There are so many more important things to be concerned about, but we are (myself included) feeding this media frenzy and giving Sesame Street, Katy Perry, and SNL more and more attention which is great for them! What is it doing to us and along with this celebrity obsession, what are we doing to our kids?

September 27, 2010 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. prude with a brain

BTW, what kid on earth would think to themselves "oh, it's only a flesh colored mesh top".

September 27, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. another prude with a brain

Okay, as a parent- I watched the skit and yes, my first thought was "wow, that dress emphasizes attention to her chest" and I felt it was inappropriate. Then as I was watching the skit, I thought it wasn't very creative; the lyrics were rearranged in what sounded like a last minute recording. The whole thing wasn't very good (Perry chasing Elmo to get him to play dress up). Otherwise, I think Katy Perry is a HUGE talent. As an adult, I love her look and sound. She seems like a great person, on top of all that. I'm glad they chose not to air the skit, it was in poor taste. They should do a re-shoot and put somebody else in charge of it. I think she's cute and would be great for the show sans "look at my chest".

September 27, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. B-Dog

This is SO STUPID. Sesame street has costume and makeup people like any other show, THEY chose the outfit.

September 27, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Christina

I blame Sesame Street for this. I agree with the people who said that SS should have said something regarding her outfit before they taped it, and put it out there on Youtube to get a "survey". Her outfit is inappropriate for this type of show, though. But SS is to blame for this. She is a performer. SS is a pbs show, so they should have known better.

September 27, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jill

Ok, to those of you that are having a cow, did ya see the Sesame Street episode. It really wasn't that bad, if you look there is a flesh bodice on top, much like the kind ice skater, dancers, whatever. So the outcry about exposure was very reactionary. I'm more upset about Kevin's/ Elmo's unintellligible singing. Second of all, it's SNL. That show has skewered pop culture since the 70's. I know some of you pups don't remember the Not Ready for Primetime Players. Or did you think Bill Murray is only famous for GhostBusters or the movie he did with Scarlett whatever her name is. Or how about Chevy Chase? He didn't just show up for the Superbowl commercial that the younger set didn't understand. Nothing to see here, move along.

September 27, 2010 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  18. MomWithElmoWatchingKids

I personally cannot stand Perry.... she has the nerve to say Lady Gaga is selling s-e-x, but she somehow is not. Being a mom of two young children, both are breastfed as well, I have to say though I am glad SS pulled the video. I did not think it was an appropriate outfit. However, I think it was a big mistake that SS ever thought the outfit was OK. They should have had her in a dress that showed no breast at all – I mean after all she's not selling s-e-x – and then it wouldn't have ever been a problem. Also, side note... again I think it is so funny how Perry says she's not selling s-e-x yet most of the comments on here are about her great body! She's a hypocrite!

September 27, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • MomWithElmoWatchingKids

You know, I really would not care about my kids seeing breasts, seeing as they do daily with my own and in our playgroups where other mom's breastfeed. However, as a parent that does let my child watch PBS, I really do not want to have to worry if the outfits of adults on SS are OK or not, appropriate or not. Yes, there was a mesh top like iceskaters, but it still looks like skin, you still could see the top of the crack of her clevege. It was still very revealing for a show that toddlers watch coming from a pop rock star that does in fact wear VERY revealing clothes. I just do not think anything some what revealing has a place on PBS shows where some might not like it. PBS is suppose to be very conservative, period. So parents don't even have to worry. That outfit no matter how easy going a parent is was revealing to a certain extent, thus does not have place on PBS. It's cartoons, not Dancing With The Stars. At least I know what I am getting into when watching and/or letting my kids watch that show. I should also know what I am getting into with SS and would have been REALLY surprised if I would have seen that YouTube skit that I did watch end up on the actual SS show.

September 27, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Dawn

Heaven forbid that children might see parts of breasts!
    Someone think of the children!

September 27, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  20. abqan

For Haters: Katy Perry has been in the music biz for 10 years, and writes or co-writes all of her songs. She plays multiple musical instruments. Her latest successful style is pure Pop, and not for everyone. While she is certainly being pushed into the public eye, she has paid dues. If it is so easy to do, and no talent is required, then you should try it.

September 27, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steven Segal

Who cares about dues or musical ability, have you seen the size of her c@ns?

September 27, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Hidgerson

>Boobs certainly didn't hurt Perry's "SNL" appearance. Besides the 2008 opener featuring Sarah Palin, the show was the series' highest rated season premiere since 2006.

AMAZING! 3rd-highest rated SNL premiere in the last 6 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Somebody alert Guinness.

September 27, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Maria

I'm sure Katy had no hard feelings, and that's great she can poke fun about it on SNL. NO HARM NO FOUL – FREE PUBLICITY

September 27, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jim

The real question is "are they real?"

September 27, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  24. W Thompson

Too bad Amy Poehler's joke (brought to you by …) is ripped off from Perry's fiance, Russell Brand. He tweeted something nearly identical the day after this whole thing started to blow up. C'mon, Amy … you're too good not to be original.

September 27, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Foz-man

Who's Katy Perry?

September 27, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  26. InAwe

Embrace the boobies!

September 27, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  27. JW

Maybe Lady Gaga can do a few box shots for grover. She's a ho too!

September 27, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  28. joe

i hated the fact the fat and ugly old women had a problem with katy they just couldnt stand someone prettier than them on tv.. and for their kids to see it. its plain jealousy...

September 27, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Bill Hicks

SNL hasn't been funny since Phil Hartman left the show. It's audience is younger than Elmo's.

September 27, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phil Hartman

Aww, thanks Bill, that's easy for us to say, we're dead. Heaven has amazing WiFi doesn't it?

September 27, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • prude with a brain

I was thinkin' since Chris Farley died.

September 27, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Really?

You can argue that Katy does not belong on Sesame but is she any worse than some of the other "adult based" characters that have appeared on the show? Danny Devito and Seth Rogen to name only two. "look here are DVD's of daddy's that have those two nice men in. Let me put in and watch" I know, I know daddy should have these locked away. ..... How about Katy's new CD at eye level at Target? Even less to the imagination than what she wore on S Street... "hey mommy isn't that the nice lady I just saw with Elmo"... I've wondered for years what is up at the CTW... I guess lines started getting blurred years ago when the Muppets broke off with their own show and started to have guests like Alice Cooper interact with the lovable Muppets. I'm not saying I don't watch or listen to anyone listed above however let's keep kids, kids. Aren't the medical experts stating that they are reaching puberty now at a younger age? I wonder why?

September 27, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  31. jrod

Bookmarked...

September 27, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Gibby68

Hey...enough with the Katy bashing!! She's HOTT!! Jealousy is an ugly thing.

September 27, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  33. dbox

THE SPANISH JAY -Z http://www.youtube.com/user/penthouseplayas

September 27, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Brian

We need to stop acting is if our children are hormone-crazed lunatics that think just like us. I mean, really, do any of you who are complaining about Katy Perry's outfit on Sesame Street actually remember and get style advice from stars that were on when you were a child? Do you also believe that your children think the orange character on Yo Gabba Gabba looks like a giant orange Dil – do? (censors)

September 27, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Lynn

The producers put her on the show, saw what she was wearing and didn't say a thing. HELLO?????? something wrong with this?

September 27, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • namenotimportant

So, I suppose you've never said anything that sounded better in your head. Or maybe even bought an outfit without seeing how it looks on you. That happened here. They filmed the segment, then realized it wouldn't have been that great for their show. But Katy got to go on SNL and show them off anyway. So they both win. So, uh, hello back and no nothing wrong with "this."

September 27, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Wildblue117

@brent: So someone doesn't like Katy Perry and that automatically makes them a "little sour puss"? I find her boring and unoriginal...she's cute, but that's about it. If given the choice, I will probably change the station if one of her songs comes on. That doesn't make me a "sour puss", it just makes me NOT a Katy Perry fan. And like Leah, I'll find plenty of "sunshine" elsewhere, thank you.

Grow up.

September 27, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  37. tarynsmommy

Some of you don't understand...it's not about teaching chilcren to be ashamed of their bodies, not at all. The problem here is about teaching our children the right way to dress, and what she was wearing on the show is not something I would ever want my daughter to think that's what she should wear as an adult. Kids learn so many things about being an adult from watching the adults who influence them, so if you're having an influence on a child (which Katy Perry was, since she was on a child's show) you really need to show them the right way to act. And that was just too revealing to wear in front of kids who are looking up to you.

September 27, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Valerie

You are 100% correct.

$ex and our bodies aren't "dirty" but there is a time and place for EVERYTHING.

It is NOT being a prude to teach our children (especially GIRLS!!) modesty and decorum. You look like trash, and men WILL treat you as such. That is the REALITY of the world. Personally, I am tired ofof $ex, $ex, $ex being thrown at us constantly. It's bad enough for us "grown-ups" having to tolerate it CONSTANTLY, can't we have some wholesome, family oriented programs? Isn't there enough BS on television? Seriously, it is so ridiculous anymore.

And as for Katy Perry, don't get used to the attention hun. You are flavor of the yeart, and that is all. When all you have to seel is your body parts, well, people want variety, and you will go the way of Jessica Simpson and every other flavor in due time.

September 27, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rbnlgnd101

It's a sundress. Get over it. Your kids are going to need a shrink by the time they hit junior high, and they won't ever get over it.

September 27, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Jill

Katy Perry is just one more talentless young person with no regard for setting an example for our children. Do we even need to wonder why we are going to hell in a handbasket. Who do our children have to emulate: Katy Perry, a Kardarshian, Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan....it's a sad time for our youth....

September 27, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

@Jill, It is a sad time for our youth:

How about you become the one to set a good example so your children can emulate you, instead of relying on famous young people, who are famous solely because people like you buy US, People and OK magazines when you stand in the checkout line at Walmart, to raise your kids. I bet you let the Television babysit your kids and then complain about what is on TV too. Parenting = "Blame everyone else for my screwed up kids."

September 27, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • taylynn

My goodness Jill! Emulate the one who gives you medicine at 2:00a.m. when you are sick. Emulate the one who makes pancakes and cut oranges for you before you go to school. Emulate the one who listens to your stories when you come home from school. My goodness people lets applaud mom and dad please! Not a celebrity.

September 27, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gibby68

What's pathetic is Parents blaming someone else for not setting an example for THEIR kids. Parents should be the example.....not Celebrities, Pro ball players and the like. Take some responsibility................

September 27, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  39. bam

they digitally enhanced lohans cans in herby the love bug instead of denying her.... well ok not enhanced digitally minimized..... it is amazing how stupid society has become... the romans fell because of this, why havent we learned from history and stop this insanity?

September 27, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  40. debbie arnold

as my 24 year old son says most kids who watch sesame street were watching elmo and enjoying him pop around. maybe they should have presented perry with a costume then. i thought the part i watched was very cute. communication – a thing we lack in this society.

September 27, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • bam

that is exactly the problem... moron adults think KIDS see things as they see them. NOT ONE KID was looking at janet jackons wardrobe malfunction as kids are not even remotely thinking about that yet. if a kid was looking at it though it was because an adult was replaying it for them to see. Kids do not think like adults so stop applying an adult mindset to a kid that is the crime here ignorance

September 27, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  41. guest

If I were a parent, I'd be far more concerned about my child watching and emulating Ms. Perry's recent egotistical rant against some guy who rejected her in high school. And it's disappointing that the American public and media seem to think wearing a tight shirt is a poorer influence on kids than a full-fledged, shameless ego-fest.

September 27, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  42. krashundburn

Americans and boobs. Sheesh.

Heaven forbid a child should ever see a breast. It's just not, um – NATURAL....

Right?

September 27, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  43. edward

I do not thing did anything bad and it is so funny that we in the usa make things like to bad anyways, others all over the world do not look at stuff like this as being bad only we do.Maybe someday we will be better then this.

September 27, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • namenotimportant

It sound similiar to you not from usa since yoda-talk and bad grammar and spelling appear in you postings. Maybeee one day you will be better with this.

September 27, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  44. barb nelson

i caught a little of vocals by Katy Perry when it was on SNL sat night – i was taken by surprise at how bad her voice sounded when she didn't have background band or singers helping drown out her true voice! maybe she was half drunk or high?

September 27, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • lori

OMGosh. Her voice was terrible. My college aged daughter thought the same. I just hope she doesn't normally sound that bad...if so, then nobody would want to see her live.
      Wonder if something was wrong with earpiece?? Anything other than that being her REAL voice!!!

September 27, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Be Quiet

I agree, she sounded awful! Just another singer who sucks when there is no help from an engineer (i.e. Taylor Swift, Ashlee Simpson, etc)

September 27, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  45. mejazzbo

Kids love boobies! Don't be ridiculous.

September 27, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  46. namenotimportant

If Katy wanted to show off the mommy bags, she made a better TV choice the second time around.

September 27, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Joe

Anyone bothered to watch the Commercials that run durring SS.. Some of the clothes there are a lot worse than what Ms. Perry was wearing in the segment. Where is the parental outcry from that.

SS obviously had nothing wrong with what she was wearign when they shot it, they just got so much flack from parental groups they want the support of that they caved to thier ridiculous crys of outrage. It is a fine outfit nothing wrong with it.

I didn't see the SNL skit but I am pretty sure Perry and SS are still on good terms since they did invite her back. Grover was on GMA wearing a cape, his first comment was something like "you like my cape? I hope it's not too revealing." So even SS is poking fun out this whole "Gate"

September 27, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • me

Joe,
      Your arguement seems a bit lame to me. Sesame Street is on PBS – Public Television – and HAS NO COMMERCIALS.

September 27, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Be Quiet

Forget Sesame Street and her boobs – I was most offended by her terrible acting.

September 27, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  49. cheekbrown

Funny clip. Nice bounce action, Katy.

September 27, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  50. katie

If they didn't like her green top/dress thing why didn't they tell her BEFORE filming? Just sounds like they all wanted some publicity, and that is what they got.

September 27, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  51. EdJr

Sensorship is sensorship no matter what it is. If you think Sesame Street is any different than other programs, you are just kidding yourself. I agree that Sesame Street is for children, but it is not different than not displaying a coke because somesone said it has too much sugar.

September 27, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Megan

First of all, it's spelled censorship. And we're a capitalist society, wherein a company must answer to their consumers if they want to retain their business. Obviously the coke thing is a little crazy, but if they're trying to cater to helicopter moms, they'll do it for the ratings. Nothing too corrupt here.

September 27, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda

Yep Meghan, and Katy can cater to SNL's audience too, and this is darn funny!

September 27, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Journey 44

She must not have kids.

September 27, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  53. Ed

I doubt she wrote the skit on SNL. I saw it and thought it was funny. Lighten Up People.

September 27, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  54. Child, Please!

I do wish society would stop paying wh*res & her ilk any attention, already!!!

September 27, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • A. Lincoln

Ah, so now you've stooped to name calling. How childish......what's the matter, wouldn't your mommy let you stay up Saturday night?

September 27, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • brent

and yet even more sunshine on this rainy day. what a post...feel better after you got that off your flat chest.

September 27, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blah

She has large breasts...so she must be a wh*ore? Really?

September 27, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rbnlgnd101

Jealous much? A singer wears a sundress, and in your eyes she charges money for s3xual favors? You need to see a therapist, you got issues.

September 27, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Drazul

I learned a valuable lesson in that I really like that shirt she has on. And you cant put a price on learning valuable lessons.

September 27, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  56. :-)

So.....one's the size of my head and the other one's huge......who cares?!??!?!

September 27, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  57. Liz

No matter what is worm said or done someone isnt going to like it. People cant be pleased!

September 27, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  58. jesse

Oh my Katy Perry is offended by seasame street and attacks by using low class comedy. Way to go Katy, way to show who is the more mature. I don't agree with pulling the clip but you should have taken the high ground and let it go.

September 27, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  59. wally willy

she could teach me many things...

September 27, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  60. Bob Dole

Every thing doesnt have to end in GATE thats a controversy. Watergate Happened Years ago and this has nothing to do with GATES HOTEL!

September 27, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Maggie

I agree with you. I am sick of the media tacking "gate" onto the end of a word. They need to start coming up with something original. I am 49 years old and Watergate happened when I was a kid.

September 27, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • LLIBSETAG

Dude...It was The Watergate Hotel & it happened during the Nixon Administration in the 1970's.

September 28, 2010 at 4:17 am | Report abuse |
  61. Marilyn

Yeah, I agree. Tell the girl to change. What was the big deal with that anyway? And it's not like kids aren't going to be exposed to boobs nowadays in general. Boobs are EVERYWHERE people! Get over yourselves!

And as a side note, Miss Perry is very pretty and I'm glad her boobs are finally REAL! And I love Russell Brand...hysterical guy! Good luck to them both :):):)

September 27, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Megan

I'm generally pretty liberal but I thought it was pretty unnecessary. Really, what's the purpose? There's a time and place.

Also, exposed to boobs is not the same thing as saying, "here small child, watch this show that teaches you what I want you to learn, but remember, you don't have to expose yourself to be pretty!" I would think the boobs everywhere thing would be a better reason for it to be more reserved. Give a poor 5 year old girl a break from thinking that that's how she'll need to dress to be adult.

September 27, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  62. J

I don't get it...don't they have a wardrobe department on set?

September 27, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  63. Leah (TXanimal)

Maybe the real reason they wanted to boot her is because she's a no-talent hack...it was just easier to let her down this way.

September 27, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
    • brent

no talent hack...you must be thinking of someone else, i find her quite refreshing, original and fun. But you Leah, have failed today... to bring a ray of sunshine to this dark world. your a sour little puss.

September 27, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leah (TXanimal)

LOL...you cannot be serious. I express my distaste for one "artist" and I have no "sunshine"? You may find her "refreshing", but to me, her voice is like nails on a chalkboard and all of her songs sound the same (not to mention manufactured).

The Black Keys are currently bringing me my "sunshine". Troll elsewhere.

September 27, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wildblue117

Grow up.

September 27, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • OHS

HAHAHA! I was thinking the same thing! I love to watch Katy Perry videos...ON MUTE! Blah music, great body!

September 27, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Edward

Congratulations to Ms. Perry and her two absolutely spectacular talents.

September 27, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  65. Head Diva In Charge

Yeah, why didn't they just ask her to change instead of throwing out what was otherwise a cute skit? I bet it's because the people there didn't think anything was wrong with the dress. But some conservative group who wants children to grow up in a bubble (actually, more like a box, you can see out of a clear shield), said no to the skit, so the show had to pull it. Why does it seem like we are going backwards with this type of thing, not forward? O well – another discussion for another time.

September 27, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  66. Taylynn

C'mon people! Sesame Street is for educating the little children. I do not think they meant any harm towards Ms.Perry. I do believe that they should have told Katy they were not happy with the dress before she performed. Communication folks! Communication. Truth be told our children are being exposed to alot of things we were not.

September 27, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • KellyB

absolutely agree! Katy Perry would have been great on Sesame Street because she's so animated and the song is perfect. Why didn't they (the S.S. people) notice her outfit a little sooner???

September 27, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Alexander

they where not upset with her dress, they where upset by the parents response to her dress.

September 27, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Stupid American

More likely, Sesame Workshop provided her outfit from their costuming department. It was their own gaffe and Katy gets to pay for it.

September 27, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Babs

I would think that the staff of Sesame Street had a wardrobe person that dressed her.

September 27, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Red Yankee

Watched the Sesame Street clip, nothing wrong with it. If you take your kids to the beach or the mall they see more than Katy showed.

September 27, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Red Yankee

Also, was of Sesame Street age back in teh late 60's, early 70's. You know back in the day when tub tops and halter tops did not have built in bra's. When hot pants were hot. When braless was the way to be. yeah saw more bouncing breasts back then walking down the street of my conservative little town then the kids would have seen on Sesame Street.

September 27, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kaylynn

Elmogate is about a bunch of pathetic people who are afraid of breasts. Kids are not the ones paying attention to breasts. These freaks need therapy.

September 27, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lilac

Honestly, if you think Sesame Street doesn't have a person in charge of costumes, you're mistaken. This isn't Perry's fault – someone approved the wardrobe. This hullabaloo is all caused by over-reactionary parents and now Sesame Street is pandering to them.

September 27, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  67. LadyCry

Lovely boobies, horrible voice.

September 27, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
    • alek

Haha! That pretty much sums her up.

September 27, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • b-dog

I've heard her sing in unfiltered in the studio, and I'm not kidding when I tell you she has a GREAT voice. Her voice is a lot stronger than Taylor Swifts, and Katy actually stays on key.

September 27, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hannah

Have to go with LadyCry, I had a hard time watching her performances.

September 27, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • stacy

all she cares about is her ratings. who cares about the children. can we have anything that is just innocent and pure anymore? sesame street even went off the deep end with this. yes, her top is too racy for sesame street. everyone knows it. its not controversy. Its plain selfishness on all involved for stupid ratings. At least desame street won't air it. They already knew they weren't going to. and this chick whoever the hell she is, obviously did this because it will better her career and put her in some sort of spotlight.

September 28, 2010 at 3:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Greg

I love it when people take the time to read these stories and comment on them, then feel like they have to prove a Hipster-Pseudo-Detachment from Pop Culture by saying things like "This woman, whoever she is...". You know damn good and well who Katy Perry is...so really, drop the charade, it's kind of pathetic. My parents, who are in their late 60's know who she is.

September 28, 2010 at 5:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Lol. I totally agree, Greg. It's even dumber when they act like they don't know who Lady Gaga is. "Gaga who?"
      It's not cute.

September 28, 2010 at 5:07 am | Report abuse |
    • John

Greg...I'm with you..they are such hypocrites!

September 28, 2010 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
    • lolgreg

You know what Greg? I know who Katy Perry is. But the fact remains that she is a nobody. Every time she appears in the media it is for some half-baked engineered controversy where she just comes out looking like an angry, jealous person. Her music takes a backseat to this kind of nonsense to such a degree that you can't even call her a musician. So I feel justified in being dismissive of her. This has gone on long enough.

September 28, 2010 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Angela

I wonder why they are making so much noise about Katy Perry. Remember Xuxa anyone??????

September 29, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |