Billie Joe Armstrong headed to Broadway
September 27th, 2010

Billie Joe Armstrong headed to Broadway

Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong is getting ready to rock Broadway: The musician is set to make his theater debut this week in "American Idiot," the hit rock opera he co-authored.

From September 28 through October 3, Armstrong, 38, will take on the role of St. Jimmy, a ghostly apparition who helps fuel lead character Johnny's drug addiction. Tony Vincent, who usually plays St. Jimmy, has temporarily left the show to attend to family matters, but will return October 12.

"American Idiot," playing at the St. James Theatre, is based on Green Day's 2004 smash album of the same name. "We've always thought that somehow there should be some sort of stage version," Armstrong told MTV News, "because that's what was going on in our heads."

And Vincent told Broadway.com that collaborating with Armstrong on the project has been an actor's dream. “We both operate in such different echelons and platforms, so there’s always this exchange of creativity, but also encouragement and validity in what we both bring to our individual arenas.”

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Green Day • Music • theater

1. Jerry

Why all the hate? Billie Joe and Green Day have been an extremely sucessful band for years and Billie Joe is one of the few artists around that still writes his own music. American Idiot is an amazing play which I had the pleasure of seeing during its run in Berkeley,CA.

I could tell that Billie put in a lot of effort and time in working on this play and making it the success it is today. I can only imagine how thrilled he must have been to be given the opportunity to play a part of this masterpiece that he helped create in the absence of Tony Vincent.

September 30, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. !Viva La Jess!

I'm going on Sunday and I've never been more excited. I've never seen them live, yet. Billie is an inspiration to many. Billie Joe is defintely one of the most talent men out there. Musically and Personally.
    " Better thank your lucky stars! " He's so doing that. :)

September 30, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. melly

Right on achild!!!! I have been a huge fan of Green Day since the first album came out. They have got talent beyond belief.....especially Billie. Omg amazing!!!!!!

September 28, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Achild

really dude? who is Mr. Moore to say that Billie is untalented?? Im sorry but Mr. Armstrong probably has more talent in his pinkie toe than you do in your whole body. his band writes excellent songs and they are meaningful to him his band and his fans. and cheefsfury, the play isnt about gay guys living in poverty its about drug abuse do a little research before you post something. your comment is full of stupidity sorry but its true. i love my Green Day they are amazing i have loved them for about 10 years and they still amaze me with their talent. i hope that American Idiot sells out and i hope to see it one day and Melly i agree i love him too!!

September 28, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheefsfury

HEY YOU STUPID NERD YOU SHOULD DO SOME REASEARCH CUZ I THOUGHT HE WAS GONNA BE IN RENT WHICH HAS GAY GUYS IN IT. YOU ALSO MIGHT WANNA TRY TO LEARN TO READ CUZ I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT AMERICAN BIGOT.

September 28, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. melly

i totally love him <3

September 28, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  6. Frankie Says "Get Over It"

Green Day was never all that amazing, musically speaking. Pretty simple straight ahead stuff. I used to be a big fan of theirs but I grew out of it. American Idiot was decent, but it's not exactly a classic.
    But good luck with the Broadway (weird saying that).

September 27, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Seriously Aaron?

Yeah. Too bad Billy Joe can never be the success that Mr. Moore surely is. (whoever the heck he is....)

September 27, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. not aaron Thank God!

wow, why all the hate, what did he do to you? This sounds fun!

September 27, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Aaron Moore

Oh, wait...I'm sorry, that's what he is in real life. My bad!

September 27, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Aaron Moore

No. He's playing a no-talent, 3-chord wanna-be who is only famous as a result of the mainstream's lack of taste (see Creed for more info...)

September 27, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |