Surgery scheduled to fix hole in Bret Michaels' heart
September 24th, 2010

Surgery scheduled to fix hole in Bret Michaels' heart

The surgery needed to fix a hole in Bret Michaels’ heart has been moved to January, Michaels’ publicist Jo Mignano says. The operation was originally scheduled for this fall.

Doctors discovered the hole earlier this year when Michaels was in the hospital recovering from a stroke. It’s been a rough year for the rocker, who survived an emergency appendectomy and a brain hemorrhage shortly before the warning stroke.

The former Poison frontman isn’t wasting time waiting for the surgery. He’s currently in the middle of his Roses & Thorns tour and his new VH1 show “Life As I Know It” premieres October 18.

"Is he 100 percent? No, but he's in good spirits, he's having fun on the road, he loves his fans and has always said music heals him," a rep for the rocker told RadarOnline.com.

Filed under: Celebrities

1. Becse

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I've truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very soon!

March 2, 2011 at 5:16 am | Report abuse |
  2. carolyn

Whether you like his music or not,is a moot issue here- survival is. As an aside, I am 67 years old-never drank, smoked, etc., (genetics ring a bell??) and have four stents in my heart followed by triple-vessel bypass in 2005. When Bret first had this sudden illness–people automatically assumed it was drug-related, and to jp's comment about wishing the "dirtbag" dead–be very careful what you wish for -it may come back to haunt you. The overwhelming venom in a lot of the responses absolutely amaze. He may have had a drug history–I am not totally familar with his history. If he wants to wear the bandana so what......ji you do not care for his music–use your index finger, turn it off-!!!- Remember our freedom ends where another person's nose begins.

By the way t I am gainfully employed and I do contribute to society--I am a certified medical transcriptionist/medical editor which for those of you who think this requires no smarts–think again,,,this is a very taxing job-I am responble for your legal/mediclal history and the accuracy therein.. I only have to make one fatal mistake that goes unchecked to have a lasting impact on your well being. This job is not a walk in the park but the redeeming factor–I get to work from home, I am required to punch an electronic time sheet, and if I do not show up on my supervisor's radar sceen–a call willl not be long in coming.

Sorry to be so long-winded but nasty and uncessary remarks must be addressed–do not open your mouth untll your brain is fully engaged.

September 26, 2010 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
  3. Frank

Good luck to him. *listens to 'Talk Dirty To Me' in his honor*

September 25, 2010 at 3:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. sniffit

...every rose has its thorn...

Listened like a champ when I was a kid and wish him all the best. The righteous pull through, and from all reports he does much good for those around him...more than good...for his family and others...may karma cradle him. :-)

September 25, 2010 at 2:52 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jeffery

Maybe you can sew up that other hole that's dangerous for him: His mouth!

September 24, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. dee

Lot's of prayers for your recovery and lots of people pulling for you Brett.

September 24, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. MJB

Don't get into Michaels music. to each his own. But, do know about the Manson family and certainly hope he was not really into all that nastyness and hurt/killed anyone. If he wanted that swastica off his forehead he could of taken it off with laser. guess he still likes it. Maybe during the surg he can remove it. Good luck with surg....

September 24, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Seriously?

You took the Manson Family comment seriously? Their actions took place in the late 60's – Bret wasn't born until '65. I know that some people are bad at judging ages based off of appearance, but common sense can tell you that it was an ignorant statement from someone trying to make a smart*ss remark.

September 24, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. yaggi

why didn't these doctors find the hole in his heart years ago? All of America knew he had a hole in his heart when we first saw that ridiculous tv thing he had for a while.

September 24, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rotonyja

Well i think you shouldnt make fun of other pepole that way even if ther famous or not! People have serious med problems some people want to be stupid!

September 24, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. kazz

hasn't he been through enough?

September 24, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. joy4ky

I just had this surgery done on Wed. They go in through the veins at the groin and go up and put the patch over the hole. It took about and hour, I came home on Thrusday. I am 57 years old and also a diabetic. It was a piece of cake. Brett should have no problems with this.

September 24, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jan

May God continue to Bless and keep you Bret.

September 24, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Pliny

Will he wear that hat in surgury?

Or will the doctors and nurses get to see his bald head?

September 24, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. dan

This happens to old men.

September 24, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. K

You know what? Drugs, drinking, and diabetes don't mix. It WILL come back and bite you. It's refreshing that he's not whining about it but let him be an example to others.

September 24, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Eugene

I wonder if he'll wear one of those cool bandanas during the operation. I'm sure we won't want any of the nurses to see his middle aged male pattern baldness that he has. I wish him well though...

September 24, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Zigzagman

To Scott and who ever the other person was that responded to my comment. You guys are to funny.

September 24, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • @Zigzagman

What's hilarious is that morons like you can't figure out how to respond to their own posts. Roll another doobie dude and kill some more brain cells.

September 24, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zigzagman

You mean like this?

September 24, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Timmy!!!

The hole in his heart was caused by an excessive use of chlorofluorocarbons much like the ozone. This story obviously is attributed to global warming. I blame China.

September 24, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  19. Erika

Going to see him tonight.....he'll pull through the surgery, he's already shown us all he's tough!

September 24, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  20. @CNN

I guess it's not ok to not like the subject of an article on CNN. Heaven forbid someone disagree with the ignorant sentiments of the cretins that latch onto celebrities and act like they know them and send them stalker-like well wishes. I guess it's ok for the losers that kiss these guys butts to call us names, thanks Michele, but it's not OK for us to post the fact that we don't care what happens to him. Good for you CNN. Way to maintain that unbaised platform you're so well know for (sarcasm intented).

September 24, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • RU Serious?

And how about you, genius? Are you so wrapped up in your own self-importance that you can't reason that articles (and the folks they spot light) are evaluated by how many hits and comments they receive? So your mindless bi+tching about this article has actually made it more likely that there will be more articles on this subject in the future. What a moron.....

September 24, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • @CNN

My comment was made after 3 of my posts, which were negitive about Brett Michaels, were deleted by CNN because mindless hypocrites like you whined about them. They weren't obscene or crude, simply stated that I did not share the love and admiration for this guy that most of you do. So, that being said, take your condesending crapola and shove it. Sorry, don't want to be rude.......PLEASE shove it.

September 24, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

You do realize that this blog is entirely about celebrities and the entertainment industry as a whole, right? So of course fans of certain artists are going to be posting well-wishes and words of praise! If you don't like it, go elsewhere or stop being a d-bag.

September 25, 2010 at 3:22 am | Report abuse |
  21. Ann

Bret is so hot!

September 24, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  22. Greg

Why is this news? People are dying all the time. Oh yea because idiots pay for this crap.

September 24, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • RU Serious?

September 24, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Trev

OK, enough about Bret and his health issues. He's a good guy and all, but are there not more important issues to report? I'm sure evryone wishes Bret well, including myself, but enough already.

September 24, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  24. lf

jp a little harsh don't you think. wishing someone dead because their overexposed. How sad we have people in this world like you.

September 24, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  25. Pierre

After the heart procedure , maybe they can fix the hole in his head....

September 24, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  26. Lori Smith

hey cnn, could you take the unnecessary apostrophe away from the headlines page? it's bothering me.

September 24, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
    • CJ

Michaels' is a correct as a possessive form of Michaels (it can be argued that Michaels's is also correct). The apostrophe needs to stay.

September 24, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • CJ

my extra "a" can go though LOL.

September 24, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  27. SteveinAZ

Welcome to the "Zipper Club". I'm a member in good standing since 2006. Good luck to ya. Trust the Docs, they have skills and majic hands.

September 24, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  28. jp

hopefully the overexposed piece of garbage will die

September 24, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  29. LeRoy

Saw Bret in Spencer, Iowa in concert last week....WOW he didnt hold back a bit!!! What a concert...
    Two thumbs up on that show Bret!!!! Sure couldnt tell he had or is still having health issues...Come back
    to Iowa again..

September 24, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  30. Linda

They made holes in my heart to stop my congenitial arrythmias from happening so I always wonder why they fix them in other people...who knows. They fix some holes and make holes in others...kind of interesting...

September 24, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  31. L.G.

Bret is Superman, you people that make negative comments go F@@K yourselves, the other 90% Rock on !

September 24, 2010 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  32. LI OLD

to Bret thank-you for your music,you have put smiles on millions of people! Good health and happiness will follow you.
    Brett you have our prayers.Stay strong my friend.
    To zigagman you are a sick idiot ! your words show your pettiness,envy,and fear .They prove what a LOW LIFE you truly are.Your words will bite you in the ass!!

September 24, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Zigzagman

Care to explain

September 24, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • huh?

Ll Old, I think that Zigzagman was calling out the "idiot" who said they didn't care about the story, but still chose to read and comment on it. Then he said that he couldn't wait to see him in concert this weekend. Soooo....what's wrong with that???

September 24, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Joel

I had this same procedure done a couple of years ago. It takes about an hour and a half. They go in through a vein in the leg and apply a patch to the hole. It's a pretty common condition. 20-25 percent of the population has it.

September 24, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
    • jack

My ex girlfriend put the hole in my heart

September 24, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • B

I was born with a hole in my heart. Drs never repaired it. Now when I visit a new dr., they always say, "It's unusual to see someone your age with this condition." DUH wasn't my choice there doc.

September 24, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  34. mary

Why is there such hate for Bret? Could there be a tad bit of envy going on? I for one will be praying that Bret has a full and total recovery from the surgery and continues to make the music most of us love! God bless you Bret!

September 24, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  35. m.c.

why is he always wearing eye liner?

September 24, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  36. AJK

Good luck Bret- wishing you a quick recovery!

September 24, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  37. Zigzagman

Two things to say. One- To the idiot who dosen't gave a rats azz about this loser as he put it. Well, I've said what I had to say. I called you an idiot. Second – To Bret, we look forward in seeing you on 09/25/10 in St. Pete..

September 24, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Scott

From a guy called "zigzagman" should we really expect any more?

September 24, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
    • @Zigzagman

Took every brain cell you had left to come up with "idiot"? There's no way to describe how ridiculous you are.

September 24, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  38. Dan

This guy really has had a hard year. I know he says that his music heals him, but there are less stressful ways to do it. He needs to take some time off and let his body do the healing. He's not 20 anymore. Good Luck Bret and hang in there!

September 24, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  39. Susan

With the kind of health woes he's had he should not be putting off this operation for the sake of touring....could very well cost him his life! But these stars think they are invincible..

And what's with the incessant bandanas? Does his forehead look like Mel Gibson's?

September 24, 2010 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Miranda

No, if you take it off then you can see his exposed brain....

September 24, 2010 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Raving Lunatic

The bandana covers the swastika he carved on his forehead when he was a member of the Manson Family.

September 24, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • ralph

he should change his name to carlos bandana

September 24, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • e severino

in 2006 i found out i had 2 brain aneurysms had a operation to fix the ruptured one . I suffered a stroke from that operation so i put off the second one for 2 years over fears of another stroke affecting my other side. that operation went well and only left me with matching scars on both sides of my head . still have no use of my right side so i cannot drive or work wish i had some of Brett `s money lol

September 24, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  40. todd

I hope he mans up about it and doesn't use any of that whimpy anesthetic. Just a piece of leather to bite down on as they start cutting. That's all a man needs.

September 24, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  41. Kaleb

Bret We want you to pull through the surgery we love you

September 24, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Ted

Isn't it amazing that people come out to critize Bret and the people who support him, but they are interested enough to read the article, read the comments at the bottom AND respond to them? I guess Trolls are everywhere

September 24, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Boof

Kaleb, sounding a bit gay there dude. If you are, fine, but if you aren't, you might want to lighten up a bit. Just so you know, it's highly unlikely that this guy is even reading this blog.

September 24, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Boof, you are an ass. Get off Daddy's computer and go study. We don't want you to be held back in the 5th grade once again.

September 25, 2010 at 3:17 am | Report abuse |
  42. Pete

Hang tough Bret...We're pulling for you!

September 24, 2010 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |