'Smallville's' Clark Kent prepares to suit up
September 24th, 2010

'Smallville's' Clark Kent prepares to suit up

After 10 long years, Clark Kent of "Smallville" is finally ready to suit up - star Tom Welling reveals that his character will finally don Superman's famous red cape, blue tights, and "S" shield and take flight in the CW series's final episode.

"Some people might be a little upset that it’s taken this long, but I think that we have to embrace the fact that if we’d done it in the first season, the show would be over,” 33-year-old Welling, who spent more hours playing Clark Kent than any actor in history, tells the Los Angeles Times.

"The whole point was to try to elongate this journey or this transition that Clark has to becoming Superman," he adds.

Still, Welling admits it will be tough saving the big reveal for the very last episode. "At this point you’re like, ‘Why doesn’t he just put on the suit?’ I mean, come on — he’s doing the same stuff now, so why not? That’s the challenge — to make that last until the end.”

Ultimately, Welling – who is also executive producer of the CW's new series "Hellcats" - wants fans to feel that while "Smallville" won't be around, Superman hasn't abandoned them.

“I just want the audience to get the feeling that I got watching [the "24" finale] … a feeling of hope, and faith that he’s going to continue, and that he’s out there somewhere.”

1. Red Smallville Jacket

Thumbs up for Tom Welling performance in Smallville. The way he played the role of Clark Kent in the series was completely natural. Also, the Superman logo jacket he wore in the series made him look really appealing.

July 19, 2013 at 2:21 am | Report abuse |
  2. Smallville Leather Jacket

Smallville Leather Jacket

Do you will have any sources where we can get some extra info about Smallville's' Clark Kent suits or jackets ?

February 28, 2012 at 2:30 am | Report abuse |
  3. Smallville Leather Jacket

Do you will have any sources where we can get some extra info about Smallville's' Clark Kent suits ?

February 28, 2012 at 2:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. Bob

This show over all did have some touching and defining moments in the development of Superman. I’ll have to say that I can’t wait until the finale, but I’m kind of disappointed that the series is coming to an end. But for now I’ll continue to enjoy Smallville in HD while the show is still running. I am a customer and employee of DISH Network and I just got HD free for life and you can too! You can find more info on how to get HD free for life online at DISH Network’s official website.

April 16, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Oh boy, Bob! Maybe you'd like to advertise the snacks you eat during Smallville, too! That way, we can all rush right out to the grocery...

May 1, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  5. Robert

SMALLVILLE is the best! i am going to miss this show, this is the best show and superman show in the world, nothing comes even close to this. Tom Welling is Superman and i wnat him to be cast as Superman in the new movie.

Please give us a Smallville spin-off, of either or both a Superman tv show with Tom Welling and Erica Durance and a Justice League tv show

March 17, 2011 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
    • VERO

omg THAT WOULD BE TOTALLY AWESOM. U KNOW I WONDER IF THE PEOPLE EVEN LOOK AT ARE COMMENTS AND ATLEAST TRY AND CONSIDER OR OPINONS. LIKE TOM WELLING COULD HAD PLAYED SUPERMAN IN THE MOVIE MAN OF STEEL AND ERICA DURANCE COULD HAD ALSO PLAYED IN IT. IG THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN! THAT WOULD HAD BEEN A BADASS MOVIE, I MEAN IT WAS GREAT BUT OH WELL RIGHT.. SMALLVILLE SPIN-OFF OR SUPERMAN MOVIE W/JUSTICE LEAGE AND SOME OF THE CHARACTERS FROM SMALLVILLE MAIN CHARACTERS SHOULD BE IN IT.

December 4, 2013 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Marie Elena Dawal-Sepcich

Love the show and hate to see it go!

March 16, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. nami

Smallville will truly be missed. I wish they would change their minds!

March 16, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Superhiro

I've heard from a few people that this show was good but I could never get past the FACT that this show was literally Dawson's Creek with superpowers. And the fact that it was a show about Superman, where you would never see Superman. And the fact that they just decided that Clark conveniently met almost all of his villians IN Smallville? It's extremely convenient and lazy imo.

March 16, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Superhiro

The wonder twins? Really?

March 16, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mike Tabor

Sad to see the show end but happy to finally see him don the suit and fly! For such a convoluted , non-canon look at Superman's life as the Teen of Steel to the man of Steel , this cast was awesome , Tom , Michael , and the rest of the cast , past and present did an excellent job. It is a shame that Tom will not be the big screen Superman...would love to see him in a big budget Supes movie. As for the show , it's too bad some of the cast can't segue into a spin off called "Watchtower". Green Arrow and Chloe with Bart , AC , Victor , Speedy , the Wonder Twins and J'onn J'onzz as recurring or rotating characters? That would be a cool show! Occasional JSA alum appearances....

March 16, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Superhiro

Maybe since I actually read Superman comics and know a lot of his stories, this series really bothered me. I get it's a retelling and all but I never found it even remotely close to what actually happened nor was it more interesting imo.

March 16, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike Tabor

Did you ever get into the Ultimate Spider-Man comic? Dunno if you read Marvel stuff or not , but me , I just looked at Smallville as the Ultimate version of Superman , revamped for today , and they had to get all the coolest stuff about Superman in while they had the show on the air. Or this is like a D.C. Elseworld's tale. That's all. They still did a good job showing where Clark's morals and ideals came from , basically , to make him the greatest superhero ever. (Superman is not my favorite but arguably he is the greatest superhero of all.)

March 16, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Web Designer

I'm so saddened that Smallville is ending, I would love the punch the guy whoever made the decision to end the amazing series. It could easily go on for another 10 years. Trying to make us feel that Smallville/Superman will still be around just isn't enough.

March 16, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Frank

This season is just disappointing & somewhat boring. They're wasting time on more of the anti-climactic nonsense, when Superman could be soaring on television. Gee whiz. Reminds me of why I stopped watching in the first place. Wake me up for the finale. Zzzzzz

October 31, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  14. Matt

First off, I have to say that Superman is not my favorite superhero (that's Spider-Man), but I have been watching Smallville from the very beginning. It is my favorite superhero-based TV show, and the fact that it's taken Clark this long to don the suit and finally take flight has made it worthwhile. This show is a great retelling of an American icon, and it's sad to see it come to an end, but I'm happy, because the fans will finally get to see what they have been waiting for: the birth of the Man of Steel.

October 14, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ron

I LOVE SMALLVILLE.

October 13, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Gernot

Captain276, what you call errors AREN'T actually errors. Think of it as a different reality's Superman. In one reality, Clark (Superman) Kent and Lois Lane met for the first time as toddlers, and in another, they met as college students. In yet another, they met only after Kent became a reporter. The other meetings actually took place in the comics at one time or another. :)

October 2, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Redskin

We have had nine years of a complete butchering of the original Superman lore. DC comics used to publish "What If ?" publications of alternate realities of Superman's origins and life. This series should have been portrayed this way (or at least a disclaimer should have been made at the beginning). At this point, with all the convoluted plots that were spun out at the writer's whim and after dragging out the costume issue, who cares if he wears it at all? How is he going to keep people from recognizing him as clark kent unless he wears a mask with the outfit when he finally decides to wear it?

October 1, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Captain276

This show is amazing. They have really done a great job with the Superman Legend. They have stayed sorta close to the Comics in his Flying ability. Back when Superman first appeared in comics he never flew Hence the saying "Can Leap tall buildings in a single bound". There have been many times in the series that he has come so close to flying but it was classified " A Jump". However if you pay real close attention to the Season 10, in the end ( SPOILER ALERT) when he saves the globe from falling off the Daily Planet actually DOES fly.

However there have been many mistakes in the shows 9 yr run. Take the Legon of Superheros for example. They are a bit to old. They are suppose to be only teenagers not adults. The introduction of Lois. Yes I liked seeing Lois as much as everyone else. BUT He isn't suppose to meet Lois UNTILL he starts working at the Daily Planet. The Appearance of Zod was to soon, Supergirl was WAY WAY WAY to soon. Anyone that is a big fan of Superman can pick this show apart with the errors that they have put into this show.

If you go back and watch the episodes with Christoper Reeves and watch it close you will notice that Christopher Reeves passed the Superman Torch to Tom Welling. Read interviews that Mr. Reeves gave about the show and you will see how much he liked Tom Welling play the roll of Clark Kent. This show has been one hell of a ride and very enjoyable to watch.

My Finaly thoughts on the show and Tom Welling? Tom Welling and the rest of the cast for Smallville have been amazing. Every single one of the main cast SHOULD be cast in the new move set for release in 2012 called "Man of Steel". Expecially Tom and Erica to reprise there Rolls. Tom Welling has done both George Reeves and Christopher Reeves extremely proud by playing the roll of Clark Kent. I am looking forward to the Final Episode where we get to see Tom in the Suit and if the previews have been right..... Fly out of the Fortress the EXACT same way we first saw Christopher Reeves fly for the first time. I just hope that they keep Tom's suit the EXACT SAME COLOR as Chris's suit was because the Superman Returns suit was HORRABLE!!!

September 30, 2010 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  19. sarah

Love love love this show – through the good eps and bad, I love the character development and all the fun guest stars/justice league peeps they have brought on throughout the years. Been waiting a LONG time to see our beautiful boy fly...even though I wish it came sooner, I'm sure it will be a great send off for the end of the show.

September 28, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  20. robyn

Wow-when Smallville first debuted the producers said we would never see Clark Kent fly. Not that I'm complaining, just amazed at the evolution!

September 28, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  21. raul

please , make a biiiiig bulge!!!

September 28, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  22. greg

The family that owns the rights to superman have to be paid every time he wears the suit. That is why they waited ten years and the last episode and called the show sSmallville.

September 27, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Sandra

Now that's just plain silly! It's go nothing to do with 'paying' to wear the suit. The entire show is called Smallville. The story of how Clark Kent BECOMES Superman. If he's worn the suit years ago..A : it would have finished years ago and so depriving us all of the rather lovely Mr Welling et al. and B : It would have been called Superman..or more to the point, SuperBOY!

March 16, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  23. sarah

god hes so cute!!!!!! and hot... is he married??

September 27, 2010 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  24. CHRISTINE

I HAVE BEEN TOTALLY ENTERTAINED WITH THE SERIES. BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE TO WATCH. I GET TO ENJOY THE
    "WHAT IF'S" AND A FEW SURPRISES, TOO. THANKS FOR 9 GREAT YEARS. I AM ANXIOUS TO WATCH THIS SEASON!

September 27, 2010 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
  25. Franny

Yippee!

September 26, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Kimo

Smallville has been a favorite of my husband's and mine since the pilot episode. There have been times when we were tempted to leave (those soap opera years) but we stuck with it because we each have loved Superman since we were kids. The last year and much of the year before have been great! However, if they leave Clark's flying until the last episode, we will not only be majorly disappointed, but downright mad! This comes from two fans who have loved Superman since the George Reeves' days. We understand that with the suit comes the character Superman, but flight is just one of his abilities (which he always had since he was a boy in most versions of the myth). It is a special ability, and the fans are waiting to see him fly, just as Kara, Zod, the Legion, Hawkman and others do naturally – and they are not Superman! Clark Kent will be, and this is the year he should develop this talent and get it down pat for when he does put on that suit! Really, we now have had over 9 years of stalling – enough is enough!!!!!

September 26, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

Agreed. It's really frustrating.

September 28, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sandra

Also agree. It's not even started over here in the U.K ( starts about May time usually) I've also watched the entire series. I even have the entire DVD sets. Clark – and indeed Tom – have grown beautifully over the past 9 years. Tom/Clark has that definitive Superman presence. After reading the article, I'm a little peeved-off to hear it'll only be in the last episode that Clark will become Superman. It's a 'no-fair' situation for the loyalty of the people who, lets face it, have kept Tom et al in the job in the first place! Disappointing to say the least. Unless...and it's a BIG unless, they make it really, really spectacular. *shrug*

March 16, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  27. veggiedude

And as soon as he puts the suit on, no one will ever be able to recognize him ever again. Amazing!

September 26, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  28. clauditta

I love the series. Tom does a wonderful job as Superman, and I would pay to see him on the big screen.

September 26, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Sandra

As much as we've all wished that to happen..it ain't. They've already picked their new big screen Supes and he's a Brit. Mark Hamil ( from the bbc show The Tudors) Have you been on an island somewhere? It's been all over the net!

March 16, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  29. garyd

Hopefully Warner Brothers will consider Tom Welling's nine year reign as Clark Kent in Smallville the worlds longest "Superman" audition in history and give him a shot to make the transistion to "Superman" on the big screen!

September 26, 2010 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
  30. Whayevdd

Him and Erica Durance need to get married and dump their ugly spouses

September 26, 2010 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  31. Mike

This season is going to be fantastic. Yesterday's season premiere was awesome!

September 25, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  32. mgbhighlander

This is a fantastic show, and Tom Welling is wonderful in the role of Clark Kent. I don't want them to wait until the finale to put him in the suit though. They need to give us at least a few episodes of full-blown Superman after ten years of loyalty. I hope he moves onto the big screen as Superman too. No one else can fill those tights like he will!

September 25, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  33. wasteoftime

this crap is still on? crap crap crap

September 25, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elsa

I'll never understand why people read news about shows they don't like. I love Smallville and I think the premiere was great. Nice action/special effects and emotions. Hopefully we'll get to see more of this in season 10 :) after season 10, there's a new series called Metropolis? Would be wonderful! They would get a great chance to bring in even more guest stars from former S shows

September 26, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Daniel

Can't believe they are going to wait until the final episode. What a joke. Last night's episode was a joke. I'm at a loss for words after reading this. They are honestly saying that the purpose of the series was to string this whole thing out? Puh-lease. Clark's decision to become Superman is one thing, his transition INTO Superman is quite another. 10 years in, and he hasn't even begun the transformation. The writers on this show must have no respect for the fans.

September 25, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Agreed. They have dragged it out over 9 years already, & now all of season 10 too? That's a big mistake & thoroughly disappointing for most fans. While I understand the show is "Smallville", the man before the Man of Steel, this is THE END of the show. There is no more & there won't be any spinoffs. Give the fans a bone...let the fans enjoy Superman for several episodes @ least. How about all of May sweeps for example?? Gee whiz. They're going to waste many episodes on more anti-climactic melodrama, when Superman could be soaring this season. What an epically bad decision.

September 25, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  35. NewFan

One word for Mr.Welling.......Gorgeous :)

September 25, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Miah

We need a Superman Movie or series with Tom , Erica and the rest of the cast ....

September 25, 2010 at 6:24 am | Report abuse |
  37. Nan

I love the journey that Tom has taken through his character, Clark. It will be awsome to see him, finally in the suit. I just hope for the ladies sake we get to see him long enough in that suit. What a bod!

September 24, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Kim

I love Superman!!! Tom Welling is my favourite. And that's saying a lot, because I grew up with the Christopher Reeves Superman in the 80s.

September 24, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Carlos

Why dont superman come back wt the hall of justice

September 24, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe from CT, not Lieberman

ARRGH! That was for the worst Cartoon series in history – i.e. Super Friends! After 10 years playing the role, how about letting him try to find other work. He has spent close to a third of his life avoiding Kryptonite and trying to deal with relationships with Lana and Lois. Let him do a cop show, instead. Just make sure he avoids "Dancing with the Stars"

September 28, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sandra

I'd like to see him on the big screen. I know he'll never actually get to play Supes on the Imax, but I'd love to see him in a Rom-com. Tom's great comedic timing. He's also very sweet on the eyes..so a Good written Rom Com would do him just fine ;)

March 16, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Terryromeo

Yea we need a superman series and it will be great if tom welling was playin superman and it started right after smallville

September 24, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  41. E

How about a sequel SUPERMAN Man of Steel

September 24, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheefsfury

NO YOUR STUPID. IT SHOULD BE CALLED METROPLOIS IF THEY MADE IT A SEQUAL

September 25, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

@cheefsfury

"You're" is actually a contraction for "You are". As in, "You're stupid".

Also, sequel is spelled with an "el", not an "al".

Then, there's Metropolis. And you're missing a period to punctuate the end of your sentence.

September 25, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • al

Then the sequel after that, they can call it "America." And then "Earth!" We might as well keep going after that! lol

September 26, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lex

Or call it Justice League since the team is amlmost together....

September 27, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Frank ... Loved your understated 'put down' there ;)

September 28, 2010 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |