'Grey's Anatomy' creator: Please stop freaking out
September 24th, 2010

'Grey's Anatomy' creator: Please stop freaking out

The creator of “Grey’s Anatomy,” Shonda Rhimes, has been reassuring her fans on Twitter for several weeks.

“LAST TIME I WILL SAY THIS: Mer and Der are not breaking up.”

“Love is just love. RT @crazyforoh Is there anything behind why you spoiled C/O
wedding? Is there a catch? Or is love just love”

“I say this once again: WE ARE NOT ADDING ANY NEW CHARACTERS. Please stop freaking out”

You really can’t blame them. After last season’s mass murder finale, fans of the medical drama were left shaken, confused and really, really angry at the writers of the show (or was that just me?).

Yet the theme for this season of “Grey’s” is all about healing. There’s a new sexy counselor in town who’s in charge of helping the staff of Seattle Grace deal with their demons… although if they’re seeing the same flashbacks we had to re-live during the show, I don’t know how they can.

Derek has recovered from his near-death experience, at least physically. Mentally he keeps pushing the limits, forcing Meredith to leave him in jail after his latest arrest for reckless endangerment. He’s still the McDreamy we know and love in the OR though – the patient’s face that he literally split in half during the premiere will haunt me for life.

As Twitter fan @knowgreen said earlier this week: “Everyone knows Cristina and Meredith are the best couple on the show. Period.” I have to agree. The loyalty and understanding that those two have will forever beat out any other couple’s on the show.

Cristina’s wedding was perfect, especially with her red dress. But while I applaud the writers for marrying the most traumatically scarred pair on TV ever, I’m worried the happiness won’t last.

Meredith still hasn’t told Derek about the miscarriage. Cristina seems to be marrying Owen because she doesn’t ever want to be left alone. And neither of them has been cleared for surgery by Counselor McSexyStare (I ran out of words that rhyme with “dreamy.” Think it will catch on?).

There is hope. Who didn’t smile while watching Chief Webber shake his booty in his reclaimed office? Or laugh when Arizona began talking about the pretty pink bubble she and Callie were in? And while I’m concerned that Derek is going crazy, seeing him as the bad boy isn’t exactly a turn-off. So cross your fingers and say a quick prayer for a healing season 7 of “Grey’s Anatomy.”

1. Leelee

I thought the Grey's Season 7 premiere was awesome for the most part. It was well written, well acted and I liked the pace. Among one of the best episodes I've ever seen of Grey's since I started watching and was better than anything from Season 6. I like the addition of April and Teddy and I hope they keep the new trauma psychiatrist. He's hot! He and Teddy make a good couple although I think she and Alex have potential. I think April and Jackson should be paired. They compliment each other well. Can't wait for episode 2.

September 25, 2010 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  2. InkPen

I cannot believe the show's creator is an African American Women. What heppened to the African American Actors? You could only have 2 on the show? Was there a limit? Everyone on that show has a more significant role than the African American Actors..Unbelievable! I suppose since they are not backstabbing or sleeping with everyone on the show there would not be much use for them.. Why is that whites have to have the staring roles on this program that is created by an African American...Did she relinquish her rights to this show or is it she just doesn't care!

September 24, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • susan

I think Dr Webber and Miranda are hardly less significant characters than the others. They are two of the most important people in the show. Please.

September 27, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Strontium

Shonda Rhimes keeps an open mind when she casts her characters. Bailey was supposed to be played by a white tall woman, but when Chandra Wilson auditioned Shonda re-invented/re-invisioned the role for Bailey. The Chief had a huge storyline last year compared to past years. I kind of like it that Bailey doesn't sleep around. I respect her more for it. She's the person who keeps everyone on the ground. The rock of the show. (not literally as now she's 'tape and glue'). Shonda wants to keep her cast and guest/co-stars different races because you don't have only white doctors in the hospital or only white patients (although, they probably did 40 years ago). Plus, what about Jackson? He's not white. Compare this to Desperate Housewives in which Vanessa Williams has been practically the only black person on the show since the season 2 storyline arc.

October 10, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Trace

Grey's is the best ..... and "Bailey" is the best of the best .....she rocks!

September 24, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Lauren

How about dubbing the counselor "McFeely?"

September 24, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Quinn

Ok, I've heard Meredith this, Christina that, when's Izzie coming back. But only one person, even bothered to mention the performance that Chandra Wilson gave last night. The usually reserved, calm, cool and collected Dr. Miranda Bailey has been shaken to the core of her being and seems to be the only one truly dealing with last season's finale. Everyone wants to repress the memory of what happened but you can tell that Bailey is the only one who was really affected by it. She even told the Mercy Westers "I'm sorry about the loss of your friend." But the rest of the staff is too self-centered to even recognize that a lot of people died that day. Sure Christina got married, so what? She has a penchant for clinging on to emotionally stunted doctors (remember Burke?). And shame on Dr. Webber is just happy to have his position back. Grey's is a great show and Chandra Wilson is a big part of that. I think we should take the time to put shed a little lime light on a great. Character and an awesome actress. Thank you Chandra Wilson for another award-worthy performance. You are the true substance of Grey's Anatomy!

September 24, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. paul

In a past season, didn't meredith's sister come to the hospital and have a baby? Is Lexi the same sister? If I remember correctly this was while meredith was estranged from her father and her father's new wife was trying to ease relations between meredith and her father. The father's wife died later. What happened to the half sister?, the half sister's baby? How does Lexi fit in?

September 24, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dawn

That's Lexie's full blood sis (from Thatcher and his wife who passed), and Mer's 1/2 sister. She did come to have a baby, and she lives with her husband in another state or country or something. When Thatcher needed the organ last year, Lexie mentioned her sister was living with her husband abroad, I believe. Thatcher has 3 daughters all together.

September 24, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • val

Ya about Lexi, I notice that as soon as she came on. There was another sister with a baby. So did they just cut that out and switch it up like we would not notice.

September 24, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. KariP

um, hello?? no one mentioned the ordeal with Bailey! shes going to need the most help of all.

September 24, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Katya Ospenskya

I expect it to pick up after the first few episodes of season 7. Would love to see Miranda have a total nervous breakdown after all she's been through lately. The straw that breaks the camels back can't be TOO far away can it? Oh, and I'm wondering what will happen to bring Derek back from the brink of insanity, which he is obviously on. I still miss the characters which are no longer with the show, especially George and Burke.

September 24, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ash

I loved the show and can not wait unitl next week!!!! I hope Mark and Lexie get back together. I loved how she just blew Alex off. He didn't eve know what to do or say after that!! love love love the show. keep up the good work!!!!!!

September 24, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Carroll E. Gant, JR.

I have not watched it yet. I had to DVR it because something came up that took me away. But the season final was a shocker and trip for me. Looking forward to seeinig it soon thow. Keep up the drama.

September 24, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Janeth

Was a little bored but I love the show will not stop watching

September 24, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ambs

I was over this show and quit watching mid-season last season until I heard how amazing the finale was, so I went back and watched the last 4 or so, and they have won me back. It's about the journey of the characters now. Deal or quit watching.

September 24, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Bethany

I thought it was a great show,although I do miss Izzie!I'm also bored already with Alex he's run the course and needs to be replaced!Anyway can't wait to see the rest of the season!

September 24, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Nicole

I love the show and how the twists and turns in each scene keep my eyes glued for the anticipation of whats to come!!

September 24, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Angelique

*underlying

September 24, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Angelique

I have been watching this show since the beginning and I have to realize that ALL openers are boring. However, the unferlying story of them all dealing with the "mass murder" is really good. Shonda Rymes is really developing a under current that I cant WAIT to surface.

September 24, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  17. debsup

McTellmeaboutyourDreamy

September 24, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  18. Soljagurl

FAMILY... I love this show and couldnt wait to see the season premiere. Although, I will say I am a HUUUUUUGE fan, I was a bit bored. I know openers are a bit boring and the season will be a blast. Enjoy the season...

September 24, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  19. m

I'm still rooting for Little Grey and McSteamy!

September 24, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • LittleMo

I agree. I want my Mark and Lexie!!! But from the SR interview during the summer in which she gave some spoilers she basically came out and told the Mark and Lexie fans to hang in there. Did anyone else notice how Lexie blew off alex in teh kitchen, alex looked at no one at the wedding, and Mark looked directly at Lexie!!! I'm on the launching pad for this couple. Love them!!

September 24, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kandi

I too would love to see Lexie and Mark get it back...they really are good together. Love the show Thanks Ms Rhimes

September 24, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  20. J

Awesome episode. The Chief dancing was hysterical and a lovely moment for real fans who have been waiting for his return to the position he truly owns. Yes, Shonda Rhimes is a saint to deal with the ridiculous questions and complaints from some fans. But there are so many more that really adore her and her ability to continue to make Grey's one of the best shows still on TV. Great start to season 7!

September 24, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  21. hahahaha

McCreamy...

September 24, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  22. Demetria

Great start!

September 24, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  23. Angela

This is one of my favorite shows! I love it even with all of the twists and turns, ups and downs. If many of the followers were really THAT upset, they wouldn't be watching it. But it obviously catches attention, doesn't it? Thanks Shonda Rhimes!

September 24, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  24. Chiclet

Shonda Rhimes has the most high-maintenance fans on Twitter! She has the patience of a saint to put up with them! They need to know the whereabouts of every actor, what each word they say means, when Izzy is coming back... God forbid one of them is left out of a scene, then it must mean that they are being written out of the series! It's just a show. Let's all relax!

September 24, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
    • James

I saw the episode in a different way: when Dr Webber started celebrating, I wished the shooter had gotten him in the finale. I am actually sick of seeing his face now, for some reason. The rest of the episode was good, though. Even if Christina did marry my least favorite character, "Ginger McDrama"- by the way, somebody teach him how to "screen" kiss before he headbutts Sandra Oh. Far too intense for such a delicate moment.

September 24, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Summer

Chiclet, I agree with you. It's JUST a t.v. show!

September 24, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Please No!

Please gawd don't let Izzy come back. She was the most annoying creature I've ever laid eyes on.

September 26, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • susan

I agree about Izzy. I couldn't take another season of her. As for Derek, I thought his warmth and inner strength were a large part of his appeal. I guess writer is trying to show real effects of trauma through more characters than Meredith. But don't like being back on her 'I.m fine I'm fine I'm fine' psychosis.

September 27, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |