A big hand for the return of 'Big Bang Theory'
September 24th, 2010

A big hand for the return of 'Big Bang Theory'

Before the “bangers” start sipping the haterade over what I am about to say, let me be clear: I still heart “The Big Bang Theory.”

That being said, I wasn’t as amped over this season’s premiere as I anticipated.

Don’t get me wrong, I hold fast to my belief that the series is one of the best comedies on broadcast television, but I miss the dynamic that was Penny and Leonard’s relationship. They were so sweet as a couple and I love the way actors Kaley Cuoco and Johnny Galecki play off of each other.

Thank goodness we can count on Penny and Sheldon’s relationship not to change. He remains as exasperated as ever by his neighbor and I loved his nod to her and Leonard’s new status as just friends: “I thought you broke up with her. Why is she still here?”

Much attention has been given to Jim Parson’s Sheldon Cooper as “the star” of this sitcom, but I also herald Cuoco’s Penny for how she holds her own. And kudos to the show’s writers for crafting a storyline where Penny finally had the opportunity to school Sheldon on a topic in which she has more knowledge than him: dating.

And on that note, three cheers for the new couple that is “ShAmy.” I love, love, love Mayim Bialik as Sheldon’s lady friend, Amy Fowler. It’s absolutely hilarious to watch their “relationship” unfold in such a clinical and impersonal way complete with scientific puns sent via text. LOL indeed Sheldon.

The other "love story" on Monday night's show had me trying to anticipate how far the writers were willing to push the envelope when it came to Wolowitz and the robotic hand.  It was the perfect blend of visual and adolescent humor and Raj gave voice to my thoughts when he said "A robot hand has got a death grip on your junk dude. That's funny!"

I can't wait for the rest of the season to see what might develop with the whole Sheldon/Amy possibly procreating storyline. I would also love to see more of Penny versus Sheldon, but given Cuoco's recent injury that's on hold .

So what did you think of the "Big Bang" premiere? Thumbs up or thumbs down?

1. Adrianne

Frankly I'm glad that the show is not centering on the relationship with Leonard and Penny. Many shows have suffered after the couple who were sparring became a couple. I wondered how the story line would change and I'm not disappointed. The addition of Mayim Bialik is inspired and of course, the robotic hand was unbelievable! The writers are very clever...hope this sitcom lasts a long time!

September 27, 2010 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  2. LuvBBT

I thought the Season Premiere was hilarious – and it was everything I hoped for! The whole situation with Wolowitz was classic and, given his reputation on the show, completely in line with his character! The writers did an amazing job of keeping it tasteful, yet still ridiculously funny! And the banter between Penny and Sheldon never gets old. I only wish there was more interaction between Leonard and Penny...I loved them as a couple and I sincerely hope the writers revisit that situation.

September 27, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. Head Diva In Charge

O what a show. I started watching this last year, and at the time it was the only thing I could laugh at. I think this show hasn't even hit it's stride yet, can't wait to see what else they come up with.

September 27, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. zekat

I disagree... I hated Leonard and Penny together... it took the life out of the show and was so boring! I love the dynamic of the three Leonard, Penny and Sheldon, but Sheldon and Penny have the most on screen comedic chemistry together. I love Raj and Wolowitz, Simon Helberg should get an Emmy nomination for his performance as Wolowitz. I like the addition of Amy(Mayim Bialik), but I like that the writers kept their "romance" very in line for Sheldon's character. Glad to see the show back. I just don't understand the whole Leonard and Penny romance. They have NO chemistry!

September 26, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
    • frankl

Leonard and Penny are what make the show work! they are the point at which the real world and Sheldon's world intersect.

Leonard is the reason why Sheldon and the rest of the world (Penny) interact. Without Leonard there is no reason why Sheldon would put up with Penny.

Sheldon's character only works if we believe that he completely believes everything he says. Penny would have no reason to continue to interact with Sheldon – and endure his insults – if not for her relationship, in whatever form it takes, with Leonard.

I have to disagree about the no chemistry comment. I thought they worked well together.

The show, at its base level, Is Leonard the "nerdy" dad and Penny the "fun loving" mom, raising Sheldon, the kid fom another world

September 27, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. KTsMOM

What a fun show! This is my favorite show on TV – and then House. The characters are perfect. Wolowitz does get on my nerves but I think that's the point. Penny has evolved into a really sweet character and almost mothers the guys, especially Sheldon. I look forward to seeing Shamy having a real relationship. I also would like to see Leonard and Penny get back together. We shall see. Someone find a girlfriend for Raj!

September 25, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. danceland

Hey wasteoftime....obviously you watch it, or how would you know it's a "piece of crap". Just sayin'...

September 25, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. wasteoftime

who watches this crap?

September 25, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Idiot.

Go watch American Idol and stay away from grownups shows.

September 27, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kenneth Lee

I thought the season opener was simply hilarious and sets a high standard for the rest of the season. I also would like to see more of the Leonard and Penny interaction and frankly would like to see them get back together, but the great verbal and sight gags in this episode more than makes up for this minor deficiency. Watching and hearing "Shamy" turn the tables on Penny and recharacterize her dating experience as Penny being a "s–t" was almost priceless.

September 25, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. KS

I almost thought there was an IT Crowd reference in this episode with the nurses solution to Wolowitz's problem.

September 24, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Glastra

I thought EXACTLY that myself! But I think the timelines don't work out quite right, as it hasn't aired too awfully long ago. Plus I think 'turn it off and on again' is just sorta a classic geek joke.

September 26, 2010 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  10. PennyNot

Hey Normal, are you kidding – that was classic Wolowitz – and the it happened again at the end was great! It was so perfect that with all that genius in the room no one thought of simply turning the silly thing off until the nurse did it. Sometimes you can be too smart! Love the show, was not disappointed at all. Wished Penny had held off on the Mom threat to Sheldon and they had gotten a little more mileage out of the procreation threat though.

September 24, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Normal

I'm worried. The writers shouldn't humiliate the characters such that they become unlikeable. They crossed that line with the robot hand story line. Disgusting, cartoonish and almost enough to turn the channel. What drugs were the writers on when they wrote that story line to think that was funny?

September 24, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • cinders23

No drugs. Tell the truth, can you not see this as perfectly in line with Wolowitz's character? It was FUNNY!

September 26, 2010 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  12. lesgho

Didn't we all know seemingly like characters in high school and sometimes even be them one of them upon occasion?! I love the show. I love the characters. Penny has gone from shallow, ditzy blonde to a maturing female neither brightest nor dumbest on the block...and so much wiser in human nature than the boys next door. The boys...okay, one exception maybe/who uses a robotic hand for that and doesn't foresee disaster on the horizon ...actually ar maturing "a tad", too – hey, just llike real life people often do. Penny and Leonard as a couple again? Perhaps...perhaps not...and it really doesn't affect the outcome of the popularity of the show. It stands on its own be they a couple or just neighbors in a building. And – that is one of the great dynamics of this show!

September 24, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. marz

Why, why, why will Big Bang Theory not take my perfectly good money in exchange for streaming episodes of their show? I get lousy reception, and I'm not going to pay $75 for cable for only one show, but I'd be more than willing to pay $24 a season to iTunes if they'd just give me the ding dang chance to do so. Also, why the iTunes banner on your website if you have no iTunes episodes?

September 24, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Top Of My Head

I disagree – I liked Penny and Leonard, but I can take it or leave it. I think the show will loop around and have them get back together, but I just love the dynamic of the group as a whole. And, last night's episode did not disappoint. Watching Penny eat dinner on Sheldon and Amy's first date was truly laugh out loud funny. The whole robot hand, while I saw it coming, it was done in the hysterical way. This show is getting better and better. Even my wife, who was not a fan and thought it was too geeky, loved last night's episode. Chuck Lorre is a comedic genius.

September 24, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Linda

I agree, I love Penny and Leonard together. On most shows when the love relationship that gives rise to tension culminates, it ruins everything, but here, it was sweet. I was sad that the show did what was expected and broke things off.

September 24, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |