Warren Buffett on Jay-Z: Learn from him
September 23rd, 2010

Warren Buffett on Jay-Z: Learn from him

You might think that music mogul Jay-Z and legendary investor Warren Buffett have nothing in common, much less anything to talk about, but it turns out that's not true. Forbes orchestrated a meeting between the two men as part of the first Forbes 400 Summit, and exposed the secrets to their very different rises to success.

Sitting down with Steve Forbes in Buffett’s hometown of Omaha, Nebraska, the rapper with more No. 1 albums than Elvis and the business brains behind Berkshire Hathaway shared some eye-opening tales, including Jay-Z's request to buy his last album back from his old label, Def Jam.

Jay-Z revealed that his last album, “The Blueprint 3,” which included the multi-platinum single “Empire State of Mind,” wasn’t originally set for release on his current Roc Nation imprint.

“The year I went over to create Roc Nation with Live Nation, I still had one album left to make with Def Jam. L.A. Reid, the chairman of Def Jam at the time, did a great thing for me. He allowed me to walk in and have the conversation with [chairman of parent company Universal Music Group] Doug Morris,” Jay said.

“I had to walk into Doug’s office the next day and buy an album back that might leak the next day…But it was worth it, you know. I was heading in a different direction and needed that freedom. It was a great decision for the company. They got some money. And a great decision for me.”

At 80-years-old, Buffett is exactly twice the age of Jay-Z, but their generation gap is dwarfed by their mutual respect for each other’s drive. In fact, Buffett says that the younger crowd should take cues from Beyonce’s hubby.

“Jay is teaching in a lot bigger classroom than I’ll ever teach in,” Buffett said. “They’re going to learn from somebody. For a young person growing up he’s the guy to learn from.”

You can check out the full interview here and the video session here.

Filed under: Celebrities • Jay-Z • Music

1. Moriahb Yedidn

Wonderful site. A lot of useful info here. I am sending it to some buddies ans also sharing in delicious. And of course, thanks on your sweat!

July 16, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. reparatii it

Normally I don't read post on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very forced me to check out and do so! Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thank you, very great post.

April 19, 2012 at 3:49 am | Report abuse |
  3. Erica

Jehovah & His son Jesus christ the ones whom we all shall worship..We are close to the end of all wicked & governments. Satan is trying to confuse everyone. These artist are being used by him & at the end of it all they gonna be destroyed along with him too. So money & material things isnt everything. Gain true wisdom, love & serve our creator *JEHOVAH*

September 25, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. Angel

I don't understand how the statement "the rapper with more No. 1 albums than Elvis" is offensive to anyone. It's a fact, not an opinion. Now the part about anyone saying he is/not more important than Elvis is an opinion.....The "some rapper" comment means you don't consider rap a legitimate genre. Well, Ignorance can feed ignorance, so I don't consider rock n' roll a legitimate genre, therefore, anyone that suggests some rock n'roll guy is more important than Jay Z should be ashamed of thier ignorance.... Now dosent that sound dumb?

September 24, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  5. Truth

"the rapper with more No. 1 albums than Elvis"

Anyone that suggests some rapper is more important than Elvis Presley should be ashamed of their ignorance.

September 24, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jl

You can learn a lesson from anyone, but Jay-z isn't some one I'd choose to follow. Wealth can get you pretty far but it can't buy you true joy. His songs don't represent that. To me he represents an extremely selfish individual that thinks he is at the same level with God.

September 24, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  7. yeaok

shoopadoop.....mark whalberg murdered someone once? really? thats news to mark whalberg...ur clearly a moron and i doubt u were getting promoted faster than people with college degrees whithout a HS diploma...and the fact that u refer to them as "underlings" exhibits a lack of leadership, and suggests you made up that whole paragraph.

September 24, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  8. brownie1

ARE YOU SERIOUS????? Warren Buffett said learn from Jay Z...... HA!!! why? JAY's soul is FOREVER GONE!!!!!!!!!!
    Money is not EVERYTHING PEOPLE!!!!! HE IS A FOOL!!!!!!

September 24, 2010 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jamie

Hmm ... So Warren is saying you can learn a lot from a ghetto drug dealer who abuses women mentally and emotionally huh? Very interesting Warren ... I wonder if next you're going to tell us that polygamy is actually a good thing for women in a recession as well?

September 24, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  10. STEEVE-O

Not a huge fan of Jay Z's music, but I forever have respect for him for the "Death of Auto Tune" track, that needed to be said. He's not rapping so much about drugs and guns like everybody else... he pretty much raps about himself and how great he is. Far better than promoting street violence if you ask me. Regardless of what he used to be, give the man credit for how far he's come.
    And Biggie Smalls IS the king of Brooklyn.

September 24, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  11. m.c.

who cares about jay nowadays? heres a man to whom signed a 9 yr old girl to a record deal, hence the fact that there are a whole lot more talented people out there in the world that deserves a shot, yet willow smith who is born into the hollywood wealth gets a record deal under his rocnation print, jay came up a long way true indeed but why is he putting out more albums? he cant rap about being broke nor selling drugs or even about video hoes any more because of his wealth he just needs to sit back and let the new generation of people within music come into light...

September 24, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  12. Da1DaOnlyStr8

People, people, people. This right here reflects all the negativity in the world and why people can't get along. So much hate...for what thought. It ain't about race...both men bleed red blood. Jay-Z may not be the perfect role model but he pulled himself up from his bootstraps and made something out of himself. Ya'll thing it's a joke to crush elvis and threaten the Rolling Stones? Now would I encourage my son to listen to his music? Absolutely not, but when he is old enough of course he can choose what he wants to listen to. As an aspiring business man though, I can learn something from both men. I ain't a hater...I respect any man that handles his business and goes from rags to riches. Salute!

September 24, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  13. kevin

Elvis was never known as an album seller. Beatles, Who, Led Zeppelin, Eagles were album sellers

September 24, 2010 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  14. brooklyn badfish

If you don't know what it's like living on the streets of Brooklyn then please do not comment on his days as a hustler. It's not easy growing up in one of the roughest places in the country. Not to mention, achieving Jay-Z status as being the black rap Frank Sinatra. Believe it...

btw, Biggie Smalls is Brooklyn's king...forever

-a

September 24, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  15. kiwi

Leave the man alone all the negative 4 what stop hatin

September 24, 2010 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  16. Phil

I read pumkin's post she's got heart and seems to courage to stand on what and who she believes in. Everyone has opportunity. How it is used or abused does start to define, but who is to say there's no turning, US? Enjoyed you all, later.

September 24, 2010 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  17. Realinthisworld

The truth is no matter how you feel about Jay-Z the reality is that Jay-z is a multimillionare sitting with Warren Buffet and you are broke at home with a worthless opinion. Get up get out and do something

September 24, 2010 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  18. Phil

Hey! Just because someone starts out doesn't mean staying in it is some type of nobility badge. WE Can Be a light shining in our neighborhoods however our status, Ordinary and extraordinary.

September 24, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
    • bluebird

Worthy advice, you should have taken it yourself before making negative comments about others for doing the same thing you were doing.

September 24, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  19. J

Bottom line people.. Stop hating on the mans success...

NONE of you have the drive or work ethic he has to do what he's done.

He was NOT A MAJOR DRUG DEALER. He was a low level STREET HUSTLER like and dude standing on a corner. That very risky. Death or imprisonment all day!

Tim Allen is a CONVICTED DRUG DEALER.
    He probably made more than Jay did with his connects and clientele.

You may not like his music, BUT YOU HAVENT PRODUCED ANY MUSIC AT ALL.

YOU haven't sold out MADISON SQUARE GARDEN!

STOP HATING YOU LOSERS!

Go make his kind of money and be the role model you want for your kids!!!

September 24, 2010 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  20. JR Jake

Oh BTW Warren, just how many of the unemployed have you and your friends hired during this recession?

September 24, 2010 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  21. JR Jake

Warren I agreed on your assessment the recession is not over, but than again who said it was? Your evaluation of Jay Z (C whatever) is based on both of your drive for success. Mr Jay Z is a talent and knows how to pick his women and sing a song, establish a music career and call his own shots. Other than that Warren, go play with your trains and railroads because your time and opinions mean little anymore.

September 24, 2010 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  22. pumkin

Anyone out there with their own success story with a situation that I can relate too and become inspired?

September 24, 2010 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  23. D's Mom

Don't hate, because your kids and grandkids are listening to him on their i-pods. Your way of thinking will leave you as a relic not to be heard in ten years. The world is wants a piece of the pie too and success will no longer be just for one type of people. Diversity.

September 24, 2010 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  24. john

2 observations.

1. The Buffett quote is not what i would call high praise. B didn't say he himself learned from J.

2. It can be read 2 ways. Sarcastically, or as a social commentary. I do not believe B said you think he said.

September 24, 2010 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  25. ishane

While I appreciate the context and apparent elucidation of knowledge this article aims to net, (the entrepreneurial Spirit etc...). I doubt these two will/would impart the knowledge needed, mainly financial, well no, exactly financial, needed for someone to survive and rise that our education system lacks in teaching and hence, most are in debt.

My advice would be to read a book like 'Rich Dad, Poor Dad".....it really goes to the heart of the issue.

September 24, 2010 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  26. Angel

And by the way, for those artistically challenged, if we call jazz, disco, and R&B music, hip hop and rap are offspring of those genres, so let's go ahead and call it music, even though you may not agree.

September 24, 2010 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  27. Angel

You know, i've done things I regret in my life, they may not have been shooting or drug dealing, but I still regret them..Now that I have done right in my life and got myself together I hear the same things Jay Z hears (of course not on the same scale). No matter what you do positive, some people will always try to remind you of your shortcomings...Like crabs in a barrel pulling each other down. Most of those people trying to pull me down are not on the same level financially as me, I notice, though.....Just sayin.'

September 24, 2010 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
  28. MXL

Jay has rapped repeatedly on much of the public's inability to accept his current success without constantly bringing up his past:

"...Every step you take, they remind you that you're ghetto..."

"...You know these pigs don't wanna see you get your life together..."

"...Can't get past my past..."

Everybody has a history, and they aren't all pretty. You can't change what you've done in the past, you can only change what you do now and in the future. I guess some of you would rather Jay-Z got locked up or continued selling drugs instead of cleaning up his act and doing legitimate business.

September 24, 2010 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  29. Greg

If you havin' cash problems
    I feel bad for you son
    I got 99 Problems
    But money ain't one

September 24, 2010 at 6:55 am | Report abuse |
  30. reverend raynard rickenbocker

Jay z .... more and more am I believing the rumors of his affiliations... he made it into the upper echelons of " the enlighten ones"

September 24, 2010 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
  31. Opa Locka

Honestly , who cares about Jay Z or Buffet ? There is nothing there that the majority of us can relate to. It's a great thing to be filthy rich. Jay Z was made by backstabbing former CEO Dame Dash , the guy who started him in the music biz. Joe Camel is a coward. But a successful coward.

September 24, 2010 at 6:06 am | Report abuse |
  32. A`

Jay-Z is 40? Huh?

September 24, 2010 at 6:05 am | Report abuse |
  33. Big Johnson

I remember when JayZ was rollin a 190E and still was a positive roll model. Karma brought the billions. I remember. FOREVER YOUNG!

September 24, 2010 at 5:36 am | Report abuse |
  34. Big Johnson

It's not about the money, its about doin the right thing. It's about livin your life and being who you are....

September 24, 2010 at 5:28 am | Report abuse |
  35. jigga what

Love Jay Z!! go on with yo bad self! =)

September 24, 2010 at 4:01 am | Report abuse |
  36. Yes I. Would

jz can't do anything for me but shine my shoes and wash my car!!!

September 24, 2010 at 3:23 am | Report abuse |
    • whatthe*

Jay-Z spends more on one pair of boxers than all the clothes and shoes you own. His gardener drives a better car than you.

September 24, 2010 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
  37. Curious

Once again, Tim Allen is a convicted drug dealer that is fact. Yet no one has an issue with that. Where are the role model comments and we are boycotting his movies comments?

September 24, 2010 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
    • what?

Maybe comments about Tim Allen are following a story about Tim and Warren meeting and Warren calling Tim a role model. Your point might be valid if it wasn't written in such a stupid manner.

September 24, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Curious

Tim Allen is a convicted drug dealer

September 24, 2010 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
  39. jason

Wow. Haters. Wanna talk about this cause you are jealous. Get up off your butts and quit being couch-potatoes! These people act like jay-z didnt work "hard" for what he has. Try it sometime. Welfare "what-ifs". You are the reason America is the laziest nation in the world! Enjoy your McNuggets. And slap yourself in the face so I dont have to use air-miles to come do it myself!!!! Gruzer23@yahoo.com

September 24, 2010 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  40. whitekong

I like how you cut out my history lesson mr or mrs editor. :) wouldn't want people to learn now would we. Goodnight

September 24, 2010 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  41. Ophelia

And we are all so perfect?

September 24, 2010 at 2:15 am | Report abuse |
  42. whitekong

Every person who's doing no good with their lives should look at how others have changed. Not everyone can rap but starting a legal business and getting away from the streets was the point of this article.

September 24, 2010 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
  43. Phil

Ditto pumkin!!

September 24, 2010 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  44. Phil

Do you know what's good about this conversing here about this subject of choice and then moving beyond bad ones? We don't have to be stuck in a rut, if only we can see where we are at and reach out for the help needed.

September 24, 2010 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  45. simplicio

Ditto Pumkin!

September 24, 2010 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  46. pumkin

Both Mr Buffett and JayZ have brillant minds. That cannot be taken from them.

September 24, 2010 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  47. pumkin

How is success measured? Is it by ones ability to spell? Is it by how much money one has? Is it by how they got their money? Is it by how they live their life and treat others? Is it how they were able to turn their life around which in turn inspired others? Is success a positve result or can it be a negative one (ie one successfully killing another)? Is it acheiving a goal? If so than whose goal? I guess success can depend upon your objective/viewpiont. What is a role model? Is it a man or a woman? Is it a successful person? (Hmmmm, what is success.) If so what does his/her success have to be? Amount of money made; points scored on the court; IQ level; # of years on the job; # of bedroom partners; or the way you are left feeling after meeting him/her? How clean does a role models past have to be? I think many people can be successful if they spend more time focused on positive thoughts about others and things and put themselves to physical action to make those thoughts/ideas a reality. I think a big part of life is about growing/maturing all of the time. Change can be good. The Bible is full of great people who had a shady past and were not perfect. I just believe we all have something positive to offer this world. It is not my responsibility to guide JayZ or mr Buffett through life but it is to guide my own life. Believe it or not young people are not just watching jayz but they are watch you and me too. How have you been doing as a life model? -Please excuse any spelling or grammical errors.

September 24, 2010 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Kane

Hey pumpkin, NO ONE is going to read what you posted! You ever heard of getting to the point? Haha

September 24, 2010 at 2:52 am | Report abuse |
    • J

For real Kane!

That ish is WAY LONG!!! BORING!!!

People just need to stop Hating on Jay.

Jay WON!

September 24, 2010 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  48. Lucky

Jay-Z is testament to the human race for the simple fact that he used to be a drug dealer and recovered. He has legitimized his income and donate tons of $$$$$$$$ to charities around the world just like his counterpart from Omaha. God bless them both.

September 24, 2010 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  49. raded R

Let's face it jay z a real boss

September 24, 2010 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  50. T

Those of you stuck on his teenage past are missing the point.

It's not the fact that he sold drugs or had a violent past that is the story. It's the fact that he took the skills he learned and applied them to become a successful executive in a global and legal business. In other words, for the people who are currently involved in a life of crime, poverty, violence and despair – here is a living example of how to escape that lifestyle to become successful. For the people who don't live that lifestyle, you can still learn successful business and marketing skills from him. Like his music or not, he transcends race, age economic and cultural differences more than virtually any 1 public figure.

September 23, 2010 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Kato

I've never seen so many hypocritical people in my life. He's changed his life we've all made dumb mistakes when we were young. Jayz hasn't sold drugs in 20 years and when he did he was not any kind of a kingpin. You people have this portrait of a perfect human in your brains and sorry to disappoint but it doesn't exist. I wonder how many white millionaires have done things 20 times worse.

September 23, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  52. josh

Everybody hates jay z because nobody is better then him at what he does. What other rapper has sold more hits then the proclaimed king elvis.....nobody. What other rapper has ran a entire label.....nobody. To make a long story short jay z is the fn man any way you look at it PERIOD. Hate on haters lmao

September 23, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  53. curious

For all the hypocrites who talk about Jay-Z. Tim Allen was in jail for two years for selling cocaine. He was selling large amounts and had his sentence reduced because he told on other people. He still does Disney children movies and no one ever says a word about it. Robert Downey was a poster child for being a crackhead in the 90s. He is doing fine and I commend him for it. However, through the obvious double standard in the media we never hear a word about these things. Funny, how selective we are about some things.

September 23, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  54. gscott

Why do you all look up to individuals who's main pursuit is money for power.power over you don't you all have just common everday people to admire,someone who wants better for humanity sake or is it all about diamonds and gold!!!

September 23, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  55. SayWhat?

@Warren Buffet: No Thank You!

September 23, 2010 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Mark B.

The story of hip hop and how inner city kids from NYC took their culture and spread it around the world is an incredible story that needs to be in the history books. Men like Jay-Z, 50 Cent, and Puff Daddy show that anything is possible in America if you dream. These are true Americans who never got a free ride like the rich spoiled celebrities that people worship like Kim Kardashian and Lindsey Lohan.

September 23, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • MsLady74

All the peopel you named can worship the devil and they should be in history books but others are crazy for worshipping Kim K and Li Lo. HAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

September 24, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  57. Peter Wolfe

Neither one are really worth a crap in the end. Its not about race so don't try to divert people either cause I'm blind and I could careless. He spreads hate and negative garbage just becoming rich. They don't care just a reputation game with these folks that is all. Its all mind games to think that all of us can even think of making up to their level. Most of us will live in poverty for the rest of our lives and nobody cares at all. This world is awfully stupid probably made by a mentally retarded God.

September 23, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  58. ALCOHTRAZ

You can hate the man but you can't hate his hustle... he made his dollar out of .15 cent, learn that, and you too, can be king! Click here: http://www.criminalcustomzstore.com so I can get mine...

September 23, 2010 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  59. djlockerthebrain

Jay-Z songs lyrics, "Illuminati want my mind soul and my body. Secret Societies trying to keep their eye on me"

September 23, 2010 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  60. jarry

Whatever happened to the days of Easy E and Too Short?

September 23, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • ALCOHTRAZ

When rap was real... them days are long gone.. rolln down the street in my 64 / now its / rolln down the street on my 64" rims.. lol , I'm with ya, this new stuff, sucks..

September 23, 2010 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  61. M.sherman

Ya know what's pretty funny? Eveyone (including myself) has most likely done something there not proud of, and probably not legal. Yet you are the main ones casting stones. That's just plain sad.

September 23, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • nevemind

I have never shot or stabbed anyone. Being shot or stabbed would be plain sad and the person doing such things would not be a role model.

September 23, 2010 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  62. freakey toney

Jay-Z been taking Extenze before the commericals even was started. If you dont believe me then ask Superhead.

September 23, 2010 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lori Swafford

yeah and I'm at home naked eating a honeydew. You people will follow anybody.

September 23, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  63. mm

With the millions that J-Z has, can't he go fix his teeth?

September 23, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  64. jay vegas

For those who are hating Jay-Z of course he did his wrong but a track that he has called no regrets meaning his past is his past but to learn form him is how well business minded he is he was c.e.o for def jam records brought young jeezy who by the way sold drugs but yet people still enjoy his music and jezzy has learned from jay his own recording label cloting line etc learning from jay is meaning how to handle your money properly and turning a small fortune into making money while you sleep

September 23, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  65. nevermind

Um, am I the only one who remembers that not only was Jay-Z a drug dealer but more importantly he also shot his brother and was accused of stabbing someone? Maybe he has great business sense but role models do not do that type of thing. Ever. And for the record race plays no part in if a stabber-shooter is a good role model.

September 23, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • bluebird

VALID POINT

September 23, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay-Z

I shot my brother in the shoulder and he was fine!!
      Being ACCUSED of something doesn't mean it's true stupid!

BRB, gonna go fluck my wife :)

September 24, 2010 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
    • MXL

The incident with his brother happened when Jay was 9 - over 30 years ago! His brother's shoulder has long-since recovered.

September 24, 2010 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
  66. B-Dog

Jay-Z is one of the most talented rappers out there.... I only wish he would have been able to kick Chris Brown's a** after the Rihanna thing, but there was too much attention.

September 23, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  67. pghkid

The best part of all this is that people don't always hear the truth. When the twin towers fell u know who the first person was to help financially....that's right. JayZ...u want a role model its def this guy, just bc he doesn't boast everything he does doesn't mean he doesn't help out, a lot of people have rough pasts, get over it, he did and look where he is now...if people weren't drug users then there wouldn't be dealers...blame the users just as much..for the dealer its a business

September 23, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  68. M.sherman

Quit crying people. Would you rather Jay-z stay a drug dealer, expand that trade. I didn't think so. I guess what I'm really trying to say is SHUT UP. Thanks for letting me vent.

September 23, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  69. John

Most of the people writing these negative comments about Jay Z not being a role model are obviously old white people (I am white myself) who don't understand and refuse to accept this because Jay is black and once made his living rapping about his roots dealing crack on the block. He pulled himself out the streets, became a music mogul, and is a great American Success story, and for those of you who said rap is not music, why don't you try it, it's not as easy at it sounds!!

September 23, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Shirley

He obviously has SOMETHING going on! After all, Beyonce chose him, and we all know she's got her own, so it's definitely not about the money!!

September 23, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Shirley

He's obviously got 'something' going on! After all, Beyonce chose him, and we all know she's got her own, so it was NOT about the money!!

September 23, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Chocolate 916

And at the end of the day Warren and J gone still make $ And all were spending is time commenting. If we have/had a way to make $ legal/illegal we would. Thankfully there's only 1 Judge

September 23, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  73. shawna

I can't believe how ignorant some people still are in this world. Jay-Z definitely makes music but his success stems from more than just that. He is a business man. Stop haten on him! And Beyonce is very lucky to have snagged him.

September 23, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • MsLady74

WOW! You have the nerve to call others ignorant yet you believe that he made his money honestly.....I guess all it cost him was his SOUL.

September 24, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  74. tate

The majority of you can't spell. Jay-Z got money for his recording venture from selling crack cocaine. What happens to white people that do that? (See Delorean). While most people that did what Jay-Z did eventually go to prison, we have allowed this "jigga-man" to become a naional celebrity and role model for children. 90% of what's wrong with America? People believe they can wake up and become a famous rapper before the days end. What else? Rap music altogether.

September 23, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Phil

Who says redemption can't be brought to the forefront in a persons life. Courage and honesty when looking at one's reflection can start a chain reaction and cause all one's schemes and dreams to come to the light. Seems to me Mr. Jay-Z has made his peace with his past and hope shines in front he and his mate. Stay strong Jay-Z sir.

September 23, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  76. low

Jay z made it. thats what up

September 23, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  77. fanti

let us acknowledge the different ways of getting to the top. that is why mr. buffet is that rich.

September 23, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  78. nina

that's not fair, jay-z has done well for himself nothing to be jealous about. he is a nice guy.

September 23, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  79. snickersman

Jay-Z is a genius!

September 23, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  80. sha!

The man already told you.."And it may not be what you call perfect but,it's my life!..my life!..my life!..once again..it's my life..PEACE!..

September 23, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  81. wmsJAX

"Was??!!"... I wasn’t aware of Jay-Z’s past however, since Jay-Z actually pulled himself away from the streets he should write a book!!! What a successful story!!! So many people are UNABLE to pull themselves away from the SIMPLE things in life such as the dinner table (obesity), affairs (cheaters/liars), negativity (haters), over spending (in debt/no self control), stealing, drug using/abusing and etc... What a story!!! Great job Jay-Z!!!!

September 23, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • guy

good comment. everyone makes bad decisions at some point. jay-z made his and obviously corrected it and prospered. good for him...and his wife.

September 23, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Rich-on-the-rise

@Shoopdadoop

Very well said, can't argue with that.

September 23, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Dan

I wouldn't call what he does music.

September 23, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Byron Sliq

Aww, I feel sorry for you for not recognizing what he does as music. Guess what, if I merely snap my fingers and rap at the same time, it's still music. Anything with rhythm is music you fool!! You must be deaf dumb and, blind! Ok, I'll calm down....Woooooosa..

September 23, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • J

What kind of music do you make Dan? Does it inspire? Do you make people dance? Do people quote or sing your lyrics? Do you have any albums out? Are you popular? Billboard charts? Platinum sales? Concerts? Sold out Madison Square Garden? Twice? On the radio? Huh?

Hello?????? No... I guess not. HATER.

September 24, 2010 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  84. joy

Good interview..the negative comments are only coming about bc he sat down with a BLACK MAN..get over yourselves!It is time out for that!

September 23, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • omgracist

Well joy, that sounds mighty racist of you.

September 23, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • oda155

...I'm African American and if you read my posts near the top you'll see that we all don't think the same... this is not about Jay-Z being black... THE MAN WAS A MAJOR DRUG DEALER! Maybe you'd like for him to "mentor" your kids... but I don't.

September 23, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • J

FOR EVERYONE WHO SAYS JAY WAS A MAJOR DRUG DEALER, HE WAS NOT!!!!!!!

HE WAS A LOW LEVEL STREET HUSTLER JUST LIKE THE GUYS YOU SEE STANDING ON A CORNER! THAT IS NOT MAJOR! ITS LITTLE MONEY WITH CONSTANT THREAT OF DEATH OR IMPRISONMENT.

THANK YOU AND GOOD DAY!

September 24, 2010 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  85. Rebel

I don't want my or anyone's children learning from this puppet!

September 23, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • vera waitress

Your children are not your children.

They are the sons and daughters of an abusive, controlling household.

September 24, 2010 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  86. JF

With those lips ? Poor Beyonce, he always thinks he is so cool on stage .He is a below average rapper. Why the media pumps this guy up is beyond me !!!!!

September 23, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rebel

Maybe because he promotes the New World Order agenda?

September 23, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • guy

"Below average"? Obviously you know NOTHING about

September 23, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • do da dippity

look at all these haters who are most likely struggling and complaining of a recession that simply just doesn't exist.

September 23, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick A.

You may not like the guy,but You can,t name 5or6 rappers today with a better Flow then his.

hate the Game not the player.

September 23, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kay

Lets make it clear this guy would never be where he is right now if 2-Pac and Biggie smalls were still around. True rappers. JZ was back then trying to get raps out but these 2 had a huge follows because they have TRUE talent. We know he was a big part of the set killing both of them along with Puffy Sean Combs. So before looking at this guy before knowing the whole story he is all about himself. He wants is so bad that he will sell his soul to get there. When all your are doing is holding the lamp and standing in the front yard. Sell Out.

September 24, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  87. faya

love to hear about good..................

September 23, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  88. bino

very positive messages from both j and mr. buff......

September 23, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Hodge

CNN, what are the names of all of your sponser's? Television and media is no longer free, along with free speech. You add, post and talk about what you want, most of which isn't worth posting or making news. And a number of your writers cannot write or spell, where did they go to school? I'm so over CNN!!! What happen to when "The New's" was real?

September 23, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adam

Learn to spell the word "sponsor" correctly, then we can talk about CNN's alleged spelling errors.

September 23, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • mz

...and you don't use an apostrophe in your usage of the word "sponser's"...should be "sponsors."
      You're just one of the many people I run into on a daily basis of average intelligence who are certain they know everything, but really don't know more than most folks. Trust me, you should reconsider your judgement of others because you are, at best, average.

September 23, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shut up

I think you mean " what happened" not "what happen"

September 23, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  90. bob

Jay-Z was a DRUG DEALER. Is Buffett crazy? I'd rather have my son mentored by a blue collar worker who makes his money legally. Puhlease!

September 23, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rebel

Former drug dealer – current Baphomet worshiper.

September 23, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • James R.

Come on...the Kennedy's got there start running liqueur illegally during prohibition...IT WAS Against the LAW!!! Most families with "old money" established themselves by breaking the law at one point or another...we just choose to give some a pass while demonizing others...go figure. It takes all kind.

September 23, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • djlockerthebrain

Jay-Z hasn't been a drug dealer in over 20 years. People do stupid things when they are young but guess what.....Jay-Z is mega rich and you're just another broke hater. He's laughing all the way to the bank while you cry reading your bank statements. So, who is smarter?

September 23, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • nevermind

Yes perhaps he was drug dealing 20 years ago but he was much older when he pleaded guilty to stabbing a man. I think his situation proves that rich does not equal smart. Sometimes rich just equals rich.

September 23, 2010 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • D's Mom

That's funny how so many people can down him for moving his life in a legitimate direction. We have all done something that we were not necessarily proud of, but there's honor in making a consious decision to do better and make YOUR OWN opportunities happen. I remember the Kennedy's made their money off of prohibition.

September 24, 2010 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  91. Lori

Jay-Z is one ugly mo'fo. How da hell does Beyonce look at that every night.

September 23, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

beyonce has 200 million resons and counting to look at JayZ

September 23, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • guy

Everyone has to play the hand that they are dealt. From the outside it looks like he played his hand pretty well. Stop being so shallow...if you could date him you would.

September 23, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • BobOnMyKnob

Same way Obama does!

September 23, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • djlockerthebrain

@Chris, Actually Beyonce makes more money than Jay-Z. Look it up.

September 23, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • O'O

Green bills make any man look great. Just toss a few around his face and she's ridin'!

September 23, 2010 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Shana

Who cares? They both are liars, manipulators and greedy. Self involved is the perfect word.

September 23, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • G

Just because you are not able to succeed as well as them, does not mean you have to nag on them..... Don't be Jealous of others' success.

September 23, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  93. dbox

im the spanish Jay Z http://www.youtube.com/?v=lSRgTF7ml2U

September 23, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  94. oda155

…right… turn a fledgling multi-thousand dollar drug business into a multi-billion dollar music business. OK Warren… I’m in… you wanna front me?

September 23, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • shoopdadoop

Ever notice the majority of the world's most sucessfull people (not necessarily millionaires or billionaires) got their start on the streets. Not all of em were thugs. Street life taught me things I use in business daily. You should've seen the look on my co workers faces (now underlings) when they found out that I didn't even have a high school diploma let alone a college degree yet I was promoted faster than anyone in the company's history. Most of the NBA and NFL had the same start. Same with a small percentage of Hollywood's A-list thesbians. Mark Walhberg even murdered somebody once. Tookie Williams, founder of the crips nation, was up for a nobel prize. What's your rebuke to that?

September 23, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • guy

This country was founded on man stealing and genocide. Do you condemn the founding fathers or do you say they were great statesmen?

September 23, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jamal Matsuzaka

The "majority" of the most successful people..."not necessarily millionaires and billionaires"...who's successful? What the hell are you talking about?

September 23, 2010 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • oda155

@shoopdadoop... and your point is... what?

September 23, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • oda155

@Guy... this conversation is about Jay-z... not a bunch of dead white men... besides, does the wrong they committed against blacks make Jay-z anymore justified for selling drugs to black people? Talk to me...

September 23, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Booger

What exactly is wrong with Genocide? It has served this nation well and you wouldn't be here without it. GO genocide, yaaaaaah.

September 23, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Derek

Me = OWNED!!! lol

September 23, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • DerekRownedNow

Actually, 9 times out of 10 on here most of the corrections are ok, it's just that the author goes back through and fixes them. Sad part is that they get loads of free editing from the peanut gallery, not that they don't need it...

September 23, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Marc

or 'too' even. :)

September 23, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Me

Is it really to much to spell Omaha correctly?

September 23, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carl

"TOO" much

September 23, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • akc

What exactly is misspelled? The last time I checked, "Omaha" as in Omaha, Nebraska is spelled "Omaha".

September 23, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • asdf

Lots of weird Indian names for cities in the midwest (lol like Osceola). Guess that is how we pay homage to the people we wiped out and stole the land from. As for Omaha grew up near there and except for Warren B and his kind feasting on the insurance for farmers all there is in the area is flat corn fields. Nothing worth mentioning.

September 23, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

September 23, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hannah

John: In my opinion, a good role model is not someone who is financially successful, but someone who is a good person. Jay-Z may be intelligent, but he is a diva who allegedly gave Rihanna herpes and his songs are about the typical rap stuff-drugs, killing, blah, blah, blah.

September 23, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kato

Hannah you're an idiot. Stop listening to every dumb article you've read on the Internet. Gave Rihanna herpes? Give me a break!!!

September 23, 2010 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pat

@Me

Is it really too much to spell too correctly? lmfao

--–

"Is it really to much to spell Omaha correctly?"

September 24, 2010 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |