Anthony Hopkins on turning into a 'health nut'
September 23rd, 2010

Anthony Hopkins on turning into a 'health nut'

It looks like Anthony Hopkins is the latest star to join the “guess how much weight I’ve lost!” club. The venerated actor revealed to the New York Post’s Cindy Adams that he’s shed 75 pounds in two years – although he added that he’s gained a bit of it back.

“I was addicted to bread, cookies, whatnot. I love all the bad stuff,” he said. “My wife’s no dictator, but she said I must stick to a regimen. So I’m in the gym six days a week, I power walk, live on 800 calories a day. No pasta. No seconds. A sandwich occasionally.”

The new routine has transformed the 72-year-old actor into a “health nut,” he told the Post. “I can't get back into my wardrobe. I gave it all away to some mission. I tried tailoring the pants but they look ridiculous. “

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. degrading anthony--gross

June 15, 2013 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. Takisha Gremillion

Caloric restriction may have its evolutionary roots as a survival mechanism, allowing species to survive on scraps when food is scarce in order to continue to reproduce. But that restriction only has lasting positive effects if the overall diet is a balanced one, which may not always be the case in conditions of famine. (That also explains why anorexia is so unhealthy: people who starve themselves become malnourished). It’s possible the strategy developed as a way to protect species from consuming toxic plants or foods, when it wasn’t always obvious which sources were verboten.`';*

Catch you around http://www.caramoantourpackage.com

June 15, 2013 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  3. err

whose the gal

Watch Online movies free

October 10, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sus

800 calories for a man is just not enough, particularly since he works out 6 days a week. I am female, 5 feet 2 inches, and lost 25 lbs in 2 months by consuming 700 calories a day...and I did not work out at all. Men have higher calorie requirements than women, so I really have a hard time believing his lifestyle is healthy.

September 27, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  5. Thad

That's got to be a misprint. He HAD to have said 1800.

September 24, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. barbara

i love anthony hopkins. even though he can play a psycho to the T, he has this beautiful grandfatherly face and such deep eyes, he don't keep the look when out of a movie. that is a good actor. not alot of them can do that. when seeing a nice story for a change, can't people comment happily instead of still seeking something to bytch about? 800 cal. a day is not that little. a diabetic diet can be anywhere from 850-1600 a day. so get the facts straight. he looks great and needed to loose that extra weight for his health. he is much older now. there are alot of people moving to the restricted cal. diets and studies show they are living longer and healthier. we are eating way to much these days. way too many processed, fake, heart attack in a bag or box meals that is shortening the lives God gave us. we need to move back on the food. its disgusting to think of what some people ingest on a daily basis. and then say "oh i don't even eat that much" when they are hundreds of pounds overweight. yea ok. whatever makes you feel better. he is a good man, be happy for him and keep the negative crap in your house. some of us want to see positive and loathe the daily negative. negative attracts negative. improve your life by blocking out your negative thoughts. you will feel so much better. it does take alot of work and im not attacking. im trying to help some of you. take it or leave it. and i don't read NEGATIVE replys. God bless you.

September 24, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  7. Diana

I agree with Martin and Lisa... 800 calories a day is just stupid. So is Showie's response. Any nutrionist and personal trainer would say that eating under 1,200 calories a day while exercising 6 days a week is bad for your body! How could your body not go into starvation mode and hold onto every last bit of fat you have?? Unless you are Matt Damon running 20 miles a day and eating 1,000 calories a day trying to look like a cocaine addict for a movie, 800 calories is excessive. How could you possibly be happy and live off of that?? Think about it, that's four 200 calorie meals a day... I do four 300-400 calorie meals a day and I consider that a big diet/lifestyle change for me.

September 24, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
    • ALEX

Diana, your post is filed with fallacy. It is regrettable that you must sink so low as to criticize Showie personally because you disagree with his/her/its statement. How are you able to question what makes another individual happy? Are you that empathetic? Your last sentence shows that you wallow in insecurity. If your 1200-1600 current daily caloric intake is a "big diet/lifestyle change," then we may safely assume you have or still do contribute to the gluttonous over-indulgers literally weighing heavy on the shoulders of the American system – not to mention those of us who actually maintain our health and lifestyles in a positive way. You have no room to criticize. You have no credibility whatsoever.

September 25, 2010 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  8. Lloyd Cata

He looks healthy and (WOW!) she looks happy, so it's just good to see a nice Hollywood story once in a while.

September 24, 2010 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  9. Martin

When I was first diagnosed diabetic, I was living on 800-1000 calories a day diet and when I went to see the dietician, she told me that she recommended I eat "almost twice as much, about 1600 calories a day" in order to lose weight more effectively.

I cut out sugar (of course), high fat foods, all fast food, salt (completely), and got rid of bread, pasta, rice, candy, and pop and lost 55 lbs in 6 months. I eat about 1500 calories a day and swim 3 times a week.

At 800 calories, his body is in starvation mode and he's actually losing less weight than if he ate say 1500 calories. It's a pretty unhealthy lifestyle to eat so little.

800 calories AND working out at the gym 6 days a week? I'd say that's a recipe for disaster down the road!

September 23, 2010 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Showie

Hi,
      That's because your a diabetic. Its called calorie restriction and its been around for a very long time. Our bodies generally don't need as much as we eat. Our lifestyle had evolved from hunter-gatherer to sedentary do nothings. He will actually live longer. Although I'm not sure about how much exercise he does at the gym. He justs needs to keep how many calories he eats in check with how much he burns.

September 24, 2010 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  10. lisa

800 calories a day and exercise? Jesus, that's insane. What's his wife trying to do kill him? 1800 calories maybe, but not 800.

September 23, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |