A few Emmys later, 'Modern Family' is back!
September 23rd, 2010

A few Emmys later, 'Modern Family' is back!

After a wildly successful first season, and winning six Emmys, what does "Modern Family" do for an encore? Stay just as funny as ever.

Wednesday night's season premiere had the show continuing right where it left off in terms of delivering the laughs. Best of all (as usual) were Cam and Mitchell, with Mitchell determined to build a princess castle all on his own.

Cam immediately seizes on the opportunity to bring Jay in, who is reminded by Mitchell of a project they worked on in the past. "That was my Vietnam. And I was in Vietnam," Jay said.

Poor Gloria is watching Manny grow up and look to other females in his life, and she's not handling it well. Sofia Vergara and Rico Rodriguez are so good together, it's hard to believe that they're not really mother and son.

And once again, Phil tries to do something nice for Claire - by giving her a "time machine" trip with the kids in their soon-to-be-sold-station wagon - and it ends up blowing up in his face. As in the station wagon ends up going in reverse by itself down a hill. But I loved Phil's "creative" ad for selling an extremely damaged car ("They don't make 'em like this anymore... for legal reasons").

So, if the premiere was any indication, we could be looking at an Emmy repeat. What did you think of the show? Share your views on video or in the comments below.

1. Noneya

This is by far the greatest comedy on television! I was absolutely rolling when Luke was trying not to throw up and said, "I need buckety"!

September 23, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. lucy10

The show is absolutely the best comedy show on television by far. The cast is amazing and the fabulous writing just compliments the cast. From Ed O'Neill down, everyone is hysterical!

September 23, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. linda

by far, THE BEST comedy show on tv. loved it last year, love it already this year. Phil is spot-on as the goofy, yet, loveable husband, and the kids are funny too. when the youngest daughter said she wouldn't take care of her brother after the parents are gone, well you had to see it to appreciate it. LOL.... can't wait for nest week!

September 23, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jorja

The actresses who play Phil and Claire's daughters are hilarious, especially Alex. She always has the brilliant throwaway lines and says them with such a straight face that I laugh out loud. Phenomenal show – best comedy on TV, bar none.

September 23, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sean

Am I the only one who noticed Gloria's pronunciation of Shia Labouf? LOL!!

September 23, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. clo

I love Mani..that kid is so talented..when he says something funny in that old fashion style with that serious face HILARIOUS!! best sitcom since friends.

September 23, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. BB

WOW... People honestly think this show is that great? Modern Family is total mediocrity.

September 23, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

Just curious. What is YOUR idea of a great show? Or even a good one?

September 23, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Rob

I love this show! Luke gets some of the best lines and delivers them perfectly. The best part was not having a guest star ... no Jennifer Aniston (lame) .... just the regular cast and lots of laughs!

September 23, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Beth

i download Modern Family on my ipod and im sure my coworkers think im nuts i laugh so hard in the breakroom

September 23, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Irwin

Such overblown hype! 'Mockumentary' style sucks! Great in 'Best in Show', lousy in this crap. Best since Seinfeld?? Incredible! Can't touch ..Raymond, Driends or even 2-1/2 Men. Just like it's predecessor in Emmy- 30 Rock – it will crash. Numbers speak!

September 23, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • N

Anyone who references Two & A Half Men *and* Everybody Loves Raymond immediately loses all credibility in their argument. Glad you like Lowest Common Denominator.

September 23, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • linda

judging from the number of posts of people loving this show, you are right, numbers do speak.

September 23, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kevin

I wasn't able to watch the premiere last night, but its on the DVR waiting for me. We fell in love with Modern Family last year right from episode one. If you missed any episodes from last year, do yourself a favor and get them from iTunes. So so many funny episodes, but the Birthday episode with the iPad debut was classic. Looking forward to another great year. Love every character, but Cam is FANTASTIC. His award is well deserved.

September 23, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Sean

I'm so so happy Modern Family is back. Everything about last night's episode was hilarious especially Phil and the station wagon (cried laughing when Luke had to throw up!) and Cam and Mitchell (the flash-backs to when Mitch was trying to be Mr. Handyman...OMG!) Way to start off the season...can't wait for more!!

September 23, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Myriam

Just reading this article made me laugh out loud (and I'm at work). LIke Jill said, the best sitcom since Seinfeld!

September 23, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  13. kitty Kat

The best part is, Eric Stonestreet, who plays Cameron is not even gay. He does such a great job playing the very feminine Cam. His comedic timing is impeccable!

September 23, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jill

This is the BEST Sitcom since Seinfield WE LOVE MODERN FAMILY

September 23, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  15. kitty kat

I LOVE this show! Phil cracks me up everytime he opens his mouth! Calire is priceless as his wife and Mitchell and Cam are hilarious! I love this show

September 23, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  16. Adam

Love the episode last night. The writers have done a better job than anyone else on television of making you believe that the families are real families. Couple that with the fun and friendships the actors genuinely have with each other and they really do feel like real families as well. The kind of crazy, insane, bizarre, random things that happen are just like real life. You can't make this stuff up. I wonder who last night's episode really happened to?

September 23, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  17. Alison

Words cannot express how happy I am that this beat out the other dreck in the running for the Emmy. This is the only truly new and innovative, fresh comedy we've had on air in probably a decade.

September 23, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  18. C Smith

The whole scene in the station wagon with Luke trying to not throw up and them trying to get out of the car had me crying I was laughing so hard. Great to know we can always count on this show for great laughs.

September 23, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  19. Meghan

seriously the best comedy on television right now.

September 23, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Leather Beanbags

I bought Coach back when it was high quality leather and had no logos anywhere. Then they would repair or replace an item if it broke. Now that every teenager in America has one and they are covered with Cs, I hate the look and the customer service and quality have deteriorated.

March 29, 2011 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  20. dee

I couldn't wait to see the premiere last night. I was a little disappointed. Wasn't as funny as some of the other episodes. I really hope that Cam and Mitchell don't show too much PDA. I liked it just the way they had it last season.! They are hilarious and so is Phil!

September 23, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Aryk

I hope you're not saying that because they are a gay couple. That would be both offensive and hypocritical.

September 23, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • samuels

A loving, devoted couple showing affection is too much for you? Cam and Mitchell will eventually kiss and you will have to deal with it. Maybe ,when they do, and your television doesn't explode, you'll realize it's not nearly as suggestive as Claire passing her panties to Phil in a restaurant. If you can't handle it then you're free to go back to the Focus on the Family Channel and let the adults who live in the real world have their own shows.

September 23, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Dan

The premiere was hilarious. I can't wait until next week!

September 23, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  22. Michelle

Loved it too! The part where Cam talked about projects being a near death experience had me doubled over with laughter. GREAT show!

September 23, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  23. Marlene

PERFECT cast; PERFECT writing.

September 23, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  24. thislittepiggy

Weeee!!! Weeee!! Weeeeee!!

September 23, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  25. Teneal

All of the characters and actors are funny, but Phil is the one that gives me a belly laugh every single episode.

September 23, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  26. Pat

Loved it!

September 23, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  27. Jenn

What's the plan, Phil?!

September 23, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  28. RedHotStF

I thought it was really funny last night. Admittedly, I didn't watch all of the first season. Sort of bandwagoned halfway through. But it's definitely on my DVR this season.

September 23, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |