Rachael Ray on her grandpa's moonshine
September 22nd, 2010

Rachael Ray on her grandpa's moonshine

"30-Minute Moonshine," anyone?

That very well could have been the name of celebrity cook Rachael Ray's popular Food Network show if she had followed some of her grandpa's recipes.

"My grandfather ran liquor during Prohibition, and he made some good hooch," the kitchen whiz turned talk-show host says in the current issue of New York magazine. Ray, 42, can also vouch for the fact that the tipple was top-notch because she tasted it herself.

"He'd put wine in my baby bottle because I didn't like milk or formula, and I'd get rosy cheeks and pass out," the cookbook author tells the magazine. "He thought I was a good baby. Basically, I was just drunk."

1. Ttony

Has this woman done something wrong? Seems like there's a lot of people here who dislikes her for some reason...except that thing about her being more successful than anyone here?

September 24, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Big John

Are you kidding??? She is beautiful. I'd give her a 30 minute meal she would never forget.

September 23, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. tinkajada69

Your just rebelling because you havent had good food since your mom cooked for you. Don*t be a hater.

September 22, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • @tinkajada69

It's a joke moron. Lighten up! Rachael Ray will be the first to tell you she's not a chef or a cook. She lucked into it doing demo's at a department store. She's a writer first. Secondly, I have eaten in restaurants all over the world and can honestly say, Rachael Ray's style of cooking is way at the bottom of my list.

September 23, 2010 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Raving Lunatic

Know what I hate? People that use the term "hater" in their comments.

September 23, 2010 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  4. TINKAJADA69

Rachel ray is a cooking genius.

September 22, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • @TINKAJADA69

My Mother can cook better then Rachael Ray and she's been dead for 10 years.

September 22, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. W#2

Rachael you have got great confidence......your story was neat to read. I was in a 4 vehicle accident this morning and I needed something to make me smile. Stay true to yourself and post more stories about your grandfather. LOL He like so many men of his generation was a character.

September 22, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • yeayeayea

why do you feel the need to announce the details of your life on here? she's not reading your post and nobody is interested in the accident that you probably didn't get in.

September 22, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • @yeayeayea

Cruel and harsh but oh so true. Unfortunately, many of the morons that follow these "celebrities" have no life and feel the need to live theirs through the object of their fanaticism, Rachael Ray in this case. They feel that by posting on these blogs, they are close to that person. She probably does think Rachael Ray is sitting at home on her computer hitting the refresh button and reading the comments as they pour in. LOL!!!!!!

September 22, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Moses

Not something I would brag about,being drunk as a baby - does that explain her raspy voice ???

September 22, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Boof

I had a ham sandwich for lunch.

September 22, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Pinky

This probably isn't even true. She just wants to be outrageous... BORE. God, she's annoying

September 22, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steven Tyler

She's obviously lying. No kid remembers back to the days of being small enough for a bottle. However, I'd love to get her drunk and see where that led. She's stupid, but she's hot.

September 22, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • @TheStevenTylerPoser

Dude, come up with something original or at least, someone more talented then Steven Tyler.

September 22, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sir Loin of Beef

This story explains a lot of things about her.

September 22, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. LBW

Back in the day women also rubbed a cranky, teething baby's gums with liquor to numb them. In today's world you would be branded a child abuser. Some of the old ways are still good. My granny used to give me a hot toddy for cramps. It worked and I didn't turn out to be an alcoholic. Sometimes people just need to lighten up.

September 22, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Raving Lunatic

She's annoying as all get out, but I'd still love to butter her muffin in the moring.

September 22, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jaye

Crazy Grandpa; where the h*ell were her parents? Maybe she's the crazy one to suggest she drank bottles of wine. GP probably just topped off her formula. lol. Explains a lot about her.

September 22, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Truth

Well this explains a lot of why she can be so danged annoying...

September 22, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. yeayeayea

creepy.

September 22, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. g

doesn't anyone know this is naughty?

September 23, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Chester

Apparantly not. Score one for me. LOL!!!!

September 24, 2010 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  17. Gartism

No one at CNN got the joke, Chester - I love it.

September 24, 2010 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |