Jodie Foster defends Mel Gibson
September 22nd, 2010

Jodie Foster defends Mel Gibson

Whether or not Hollywood turns its back on Mel Gibson, he'll always have Jodie Foster in his corner.

Foster, who directed and co-stars with Gibson in the upcoming dramedy "The Beaver," tells October's More magazine she is standing by the troubled actor throughout his ongoing battle with ex-girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva.

Foster, 47, says that she and Gibson – who portrays a man who rescues himself from depression by wearing and speaking through a beaver puppet in the film - immediately clicked when they first teamed up for the 1994 Western "Maverick." The 54-year-old star was the "easiest, nicest person I've ever worked with," she explains. "The second I met him, I said, 'I will love this man for the rest of my life.'"

And she meant it. Despite his recent troubles with Grigorieva, which includes allegations of domestic violence and recordings filled with racist and obscene rants, Foster isn't giving up on Gibson.

"When you love a friend, you don't abandon them when they are struggling," she explains. "But more importantly, he is and has been a true and loyal friend. I hope I can help him get through this dark moment."

1. jw

I'm unimpressed with Jodie Foster and Whoopi Goldberg. You wanta stand by your (even continually) abusive friend, I can understand. I am black but know some bigots who don't know any better yet, aka I understand that I need to be patient because God isn't finished with them yet. But as members of marginalized groups, both Foster and Goldberg should also have at least SOME loyalty to other women, to mothers, to jews, gays and blacks.
    They could at least say some pittance like "domestic violence is a terrible thing" or "prejudiced remarks are harmful..." .. (but I still love my friend Mel ). They are both sold out to Hollywood Uncle Toms.

October 27, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jane

Jodie is a good friend to Mel but she does not have to live with him, nor is she slapped around by him, nor is she Jewish and he has the capacity to charm. Mel, like his father, is a racist and his true racist thoughts came out when he was inebriated. Anyone who strikes a woman holding a child (not to mention his own) or has instilled hatred of Jews certainly needs a friend like Jodie. Mel's ex wife supports him but probably only because he strikes me as someone who has threatened and/or bribed his ex to support him after all his ex wants her kids to inherit his money.Most people with moral values would not befriend him or marry him unless they want the comfort of his money which in itself is low.

September 30, 2010 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  3. Aarde V Atheian

The Jews suffer a persecution complex because they live outside their country. Their natural instinct is always to weaken and break up their host country lest it persecutes them. You can criticize anyone but the Jews.
    The ideology that is destroying this country Feminaziism, Communism, class warfare, judiciocracy, the Divorce Court Industry, etc are all inventions of the Jews. Without them there would be none of it. They are the driving force behind all of it.
    The Jews have also invented Libertarianism, Atheon (Atheism) and erotic rights all of which has saved this society from its medieval oppressiveness.

I owe Jews thanks for all their cultural contributions to our Western Civilization in science, in arts, in music, etc.
    When I praise Jews for their positive contributions, I get appreciated as a friend. When I criticize them for their disruptive or destructive hegemonies and power monopolies and manipulations, I am called an anti-Semite.
    So they are the only ethnic group that has the government treat any criticism of their kind as a hate-crime. That cannot be a good thing. It only indicates a proclivity to hold on to a privileged position and famously self-serving special treatment politics that they are famous for.

September 30, 2010 at 4:44 am | Report abuse |
  4. Bernie Nagler

Like many on the left in Hollywood Foster is naive and stupid.

September 30, 2010 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  5. bernie Nagler

This has to be a role reversal....last time I looked Jody was the BEAVER.

September 30, 2010 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  6. Byl

For those who do not know, The Rabbi that is credited with saying "turn the other cheek" was a Jewish guy named Jesus of Nazereth. I learned that in catechism when I was a Catholic kid.

September 29, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  7. Byl

Let's face it, if it weren't for the occasional anti Jew remark made by someone, people like ZJI would have no place to vent their hatred of Christians; they sit and wait frothing at the mouth waiting to uinleash their venom under the guise of being outraged by an insult. These people should take a hint from a Rabbi who many years ago said,..."But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you."
    That philosophy doesn't work for me totally, but it is worth considering if you are consumed by hatred like some on this post.

Excerpt from sermon on the mountain.

September 29, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  8. ZJI

Jodi foster is either tone deaf or supports that low-life racist, & Anti-Semite Mel Gibson. Shame on you Jodi.Wake up and smell the coffee!

September 28, 2010 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Hondo

In fact; Jodie Foster genuinely is the nice, friendly, articulate and loyal friend she appears to be. She was my friend long ago and I am Jewish. She is a very private person, but let me tell you, Jodie is neither a phony nor a hate monger.
    I remember when she acted in tv commercials, movies and television as a child. I was always amazed because she really was that same character in real life, very inquisitive and extremely intelligent, a pleasure to be with. One more thing, Jodie listens and learns. She likes diferent kinds of people. Mel Gibson is extremely lucky to have her as a friend.
    I certainly do miss her.

September 28, 2010 at 4:46 am | Report abuse |
  10. toad man

Jodie cant be gay she just loves frozen sperm in the winter like a a aa a aaaah polar bare, there is nothing wrong with gay and lesbian things just they serve no purpose in the evolution of history more like a deformed person only wishing to be defective

September 27, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  11. Tom Jones

Why cant Mel just hate Christianity like everyone else in Hollywood. No one would be on his case!

September 27, 2010 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  12. John

Does she know that Gibson hates Joos?

September 27, 2010 at 4:27 am | Report abuse |
  13. Joan

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Mel make anti-woman, anti-Black AND anti-Jewish remarks the first time he was caught driving drunk? Of course he built a very expensive church so he can get down on his knees every Sunday and pray to a probably very dark skinned Jew (no Mel, Jesus was not Catholic). If Jody Foster can make sense of this man then good for her. And by the way, for the person who said Mel Gibson is a great actor – did you ever see him in Hamlet? His emotions ran the gamut from A to B (Sorry Ms. Parker)

September 26, 2010 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Snerdley Toy Chow

Foster is a moron.

September 26, 2010 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Max

I love Jodie even if she's not interested and Mel is one of the best in both acting and directing. If he offended 1/2 the worlds population than I'm sure he's truly sorry for that but the guy is a talented loud-mouth with an explosive personality-don't take it personally. So she's probably gay and he gets drunk and obnoxious sometimes-it doesn't ruin his body of work. after all, isn't he australian? everyone knows how crazy they are...

September 26, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Byl

Max, Gibson was born in the USA and moved with his parents to Australia when he was about 12.

September 29, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  16. nikki

jodie is a bigger anri semite than mel is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 26, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Ambrose Chapel

This just reaffirms that Jodie Foster is a decent and intelligent human being. I'm willing to bet that she knows more about Mel Gibson – the actual person – than the persona created by Entertainment Tonight/ Headline News/ YouTube. Granted, Gibson invited controversy through poor judgment and bad behavior. The hypocrites who denounce him should consider their own mistakes and struggles though. God forbid we all had our personal demons constantly televised.

September 26, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  18. questionable Friend

If I had a clearly racist friend, I would get away. Depression? We can work with that. Domestic violence? Work with that, maybe. I do not associate with racists and am shocked someone of Jodi Foster's calibre wouldn't run the other way! What might that say about her?

September 26, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

What the hell? You would hang out with a wife beater but not a person who happens to have misguided views? That makes no sense.

September 28, 2010 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
  19. mary

Finally a human being with an honest to God heart.

September 26, 2010 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  20. Suzy Q

Good grief. The man was drunk and when he's drunk he becomes an idiot who can't turn their inner governor on, apparently. A lot of people get that way when they're drunk: they say and do idiotic things they'd never do if they were sober. Who among you HASN'T thought something negative or spurious or racist. In your head? You just don't spew it out, and you might realize what you're thinking and be ashamed for thinking it and maybe change your mind. But alcohol and drugs remove these inhibitions. The guy's a drunk. He says stupid things. I think Jodie's a good friend to not throw her hands up and turn her back on him. He's a lucky guy, to not lose all his friends due to alcoholism. Yet.

September 26, 2010 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
  21. JimZ

If I were Mr. Gibson's publicity agent I'd really sit him down in my office, explain that I'm not gay or Jewish, but that I grew up in California, and that he might not understand having grown up in Australia. I'd explain, or metaphor, or analogize to him that California is all but run by two rather passive, and extremely well read and news savy, sets of cultures: gays or lesbian and Jews. I'd analogize to Mr. Gibson that spouting off about Jews and gays to a California peace officer would be akin to saying the same things about Italian Americans, say in New Jersey, Irish and/or Scotts Irish Americans in Boston or Massachussettes, or rednecks and whitetrash in Texas or Alabama, or blacks in Atlanta. NOT A GOOD IDEA, WHATSOEVER, SIR! Where was the guy born, anyway? In a barn in Australia, with manners like that? And he needs to stop calling or writing Oksana. Her agent or lawyers only want to profit off Mel's tabloids and books selling freakish and odd ranting racism. And Mr. Gibson needs to have a nightly curfew where he locks himself in after a certain hour and gives his car keys and his cellphones to his security guard until morning. Mel has to actively police himself now, just like Brittney and Robert Downey, Jr., and Keanu Reeves, and Hugh Grant all had to learn to do. Lyndsay Lohan and Paris Hilton should do likewise. Just stay inside. Don't go outside, don't tweet, and chill!

September 26, 2010 at 3:46 am | Report abuse |
  22. JimZ

I think that Mel Gibson is getting rotten PR advice from his sorry agents and lawyers. Mel should appear at both a Jewish cultural center, and then a gay/lesbian cultural center, both in L.A. and he should be seen on television and a press conference presenting charitable donations at each place. He should speak and just admit that half the real workhorses in Hollywood are Jewish and pretty much the other half are gay or lesbian. He shoud thank both cultural groups he offended when he mouthed off to that cop that night, and he should publically apologize to the cop, as well, on television and he should admit the cop was just doing his job to feed his family, too, like the rest of hard working Hollywood. He should ask everyone for forgiveness and then pray, or meditate, with the assembled Jews and gays. He should also find the best Jewish lawyer and therapist in California and have no more contact with evil Oksana. And he should date either Jodi Foster, or his ex-wife, if either are currently single. Watch the Jews and gays/lesbians flock, like a pack of wolves, to defend him and help him out if Mel, himself, would only show such an ounce of humility.

September 26, 2010 at 3:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Foster is an out lesbian. I highly doubt that she's going to 'date' a guy, even for good PR.

September 26, 2010 at 3:55 am | Report abuse |
  23. michael

maybe after being with Mel she immediatly knew that beaver was in her future and hense has good reason to be grateful.

September 25, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  24. michael

was Jodi gay before Mel in 94 or did he make her see her path?

September 25, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  25. gs

Mel's father publishes hate material for years and has filled mel's head with that stuff since he sat on his knee as a child. This is the stuff that was first recorded in his brain, and comes out when he speaks from the heart.

September 25, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Anthony Clifton

Too Bad Andy and Mel never had a chance to WRASSLE...that woulda been a good match. After Jerry taught Andy how to do the Pile driver...think of the re-match. Massmurderers print currency and own the media. Talmudvision spews hate. . . google Issa Nakhleh.

September 25, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

"Too Bad Andy and Mel never had a chance to WRASSLE...that woulda been a good match. After Jerry taught Andy how to do the Pile driver...think of the re-match."

What the hell.

September 25, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  27. torgo_x

When Jodie Foster says "When you love a friend, you don't abandon them when they are struggling... this dark moment...", that's shorthand for basically:
    "MEL IS SCHIZOID, AND I CALL HIM EVERY DAY TO CHECK THAT HE HAS TAKEN HIS PILLS."

Folks, parsing his yowlings about The Jews or The Gays is like taking notes about whatever the nearest street crazy is saying as he's readjusting the tinfoil lining in his hat. "I see, so it's... because of the... 'Worldwide Mad Deadly Communist Gangster Computer God', you say?"

Of course, when he just spirals into these rants of menacing omnidirectional bigotry, it should be treated just as seriously as if he starts explicitly threatening people's lives– both are socially intolerable acts based clearly on mental breakdown, and it's probably time to put him in rooms with soft walls before he moves on to walking up to people and screaming death threats in their face.

And the media is being complicit– when they see him, they should switch off the mics and the cameras and walk away. Maybe the guy with the tinfoil hat is still outside.

And maybe it has been bad for him that he has been cast in movies to play lunatics, OVER and OVER!

By the way, if YOU have any friends who are losing it, hey, pick up the phone and check up on them, maybe ask if they're taking their meds.

Hey, MOVING ON, I hear there's a war someplace...

September 25, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Yes, let's just lock everyone who is going through something up, without their consent, of course, and pump them full of pills. (Especially Thorazine. Mmm, chemical lobatomies.) Let's throw in some electroshock for good measure. I'm sure that'll help.
      (Actually, it doesn't help. It makes them worse.)

September 25, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Al Catraz

I feel sorry for all you who worship these idiots of Hollywood!

And a donkey carrying sacks of gold is still a donkey!

September 24, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  29. mikeeee

Let those without sin cast the first stone. It is so ironic that the perpetual jew hating anti Israel, anti semites in Hollywood, suddenly are ohhh sooo sensitive to anti semitism when it comes to Mel Gibson. Couldn't have naything to do with his departure from their LOCK STEP sheep like Marxist politics now could it? What a bunch of frauds and phonies. Mel comes off badly when drunk and 'set up' by a girlfriend who clearly staged the entire operation to mess with him mentally and emotionally in order to extort him, but any of you frauds and santamonious phonies who might walk a mile in his shoes, could very well do the same when drunk, set up, betrayed, and emotionally devastated by a gold digging !@#$%^& like that Oksana.

September 24, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Anti-Zionism is not 'anti-Semitism'. Hollywood isn't anti-Israel, anyway. What planet are you living on?

September 24, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zionist

Yes, Frank, anti-Zionism is indeed anti-Semitism. Why should Jews be the only nation to whom you deny the human right to self-determination?

September 27, 2010 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Jews aren't a 'nation'. They're a religion. Anyone can be a Jew. Many very religious Jews are against the lies of Zionism, as well. Are they 'anti-Semites'?
      Zionists are the true anti-Semites.

September 28, 2010 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Anyway, I'm a Catholic so it would be quite ridiculous for me to believe that Israel is a physical nation on earth. The true Israel is a spiritual Nation.

September 28, 2010 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  30. Evil Jew

I like Jodie foster, hate Mel Gibson. I respect her decision to stand by her friends, if that is genuinely what she's doing and not just thinking about her movie. I think it's important for her to point out she doesn't agree with his racist views though. If she just says "I am sticking by him" and doesn't say she disagrees with him, that makes me question if she agrees with his views.

September 24, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  31. pj

Jodie Foster must pay for her rebellion against the Chosen People of G-d. Peresecute that filthy lesbian. The nazis posting here are like little Hitlers, and Mel Gibson is youir BIG HITLER of the day.

September 24, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Lol. We (well, not *we* because I am a filthy goy not worthy of carrying out such a blessed act) should stone her, right? How DARE she?!

September 25, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Jewish

people with inferiority complex like Hitler and M.G. are always Jew-haters.No attractive in the past Jody will help him

September 24, 2010 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  33. mg

ja

September 24, 2010 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  34. Pete J

I love Jodie Foster and admire her for sticking up for a friend, right or wrong. But I still hate Mel Gibson. He's irredeemable, and he knows it.

September 24, 2010 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  35. Meee42

Mel gets what he deserves and so does his gold digging girl friend...There is no fool like an Old Fool..How many Beautiful Women do you see with "Poor" Old Ugly men?

September 24, 2010 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Jewish Filmgoer

Gramexame and Meee42 are correct. Oksana manipulated Mel for money; her own dentist stated that the damage to her veneers was nt the resul of being hit.

But, being Jewish, I retain the right to boycott any film involving Gibson. here is no reason I should contribute to anyone who gins up hate for my race.

Foster, to her credit, did not seem to defend Mel's bigotry but said only she is loyal to a friend in need. The best way she could help her friend, woud be to bring him to limit drinking and to egret his iases and hatreds.

September 27, 2010 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  36. Candice

Like so many of us. When a child is involved, and we are pushed to the breaking point, Mel broke. I myself have uttered some pretty awuful things out of anger & frustration. It's very easy to do. I have had to rebuild relationships and face my children and that is not easy. I was lucky enough not to have it broadcast nation wide for the world to judge. I feel for Mel and truly hope he will find peace.

September 23, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  37. rofl

Looks like the "high and mighty" have decided to comment today.

September 23, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  38. DeW

Shes starting to look a little Barbara Walter ish

September 23, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  39. Bob Loblaw

Jodie Foster deserves kudos for not jumping on the anti-Mel train with everyone else. She's the first person I've heard say anything positive about Mel Gibson for quite some time. In my world, you stand with your friends even in the face of a royal beatdown, and even if you're in the wrong.

Mel is an alcoholic. That is the beginning and end of his problems. Well, that and his choice of girlfriends.

September 23, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • gramexame

.That Mel is an alcoholic,is one thing.That alcohol is the beginning and end of his problems,negative.It is only one of his problems,and not the worse one.Mel is not a drunk racist bigot.He is a racist bigot who happens to drink a lot.Alcohol never creates prejudices,or hates.It only allows your brain to lose all the inhibitions,and reveal all that is deep inside your soul,hidden because it is ugly,against the society,or dangerous to your survival as a social being.
      .He has all the right to have prejudices against anyone,mexican,jew,black,gay,dwarf,or whatever.After all he lives in a democracy,he can even say untrue things about any minority,that is his problem and risk.What he can not say is that he said those things,because he was drunk.That would be a lie,hypocrisy,and the act of a coward.I taught Mel Gibson had much more cojones than that.As it is,he disappointed me a lot.I always admired him as a gret actor and director.There is no doubt he has a lot of talent,but his personality is defficient to say the least.

September 24, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

You don't really understand substance abuse very much. Alcohol to an alcoholic is like heroin or crack. It turns them into someone they wouldn't be normally. Also there's the fact that his father pumped him full of that crap as a child.

September 25, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Steven Segal

Is this a joke? Jodie Foster directing and starring in a movie called, "The Beaver"? Did she even have to read the script before signing on?

Studio Exec, "Jodie, we have this project that we think you might be interested in."
    JF, "What's is about?"
    Studio Exec, "Kind of hard to explain, but we're thinking of calling it, 'The Beaver'."
    JF, "That's like asking a fish if he wants to be in a movie called "Water""

September 23, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  41. Posh-Kenneth

"There once was a man from the past...
    Whose balls were made out of brass...
    and in stormy weather
    they'd clank together
    and lightning shot out of his ass."–Braveheart

Ah... the good old days of Mel, before he was a crazy hater.

September 23, 2010 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  42. Timeonics

Gibson and Foster should both take that ride to a galaxy far out there. He didn't appear in "mad max" films for no reason.

September 23, 2010 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  43. meadowmuffin

Yeahh Jodie, Yeahh Mel, UGH!!! Oksana

September 23, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  44. theboldcorsicanflame

At least she is a faithful friend and in Hollywood it is a rare exception. Who cares if she is gay or not and if she wants to support a macho she has the right to do so.

September 23, 2010 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  45. Enoch7th

Mel Gibson is just like the rest of the world, imperfect and despite the celebrity status, just another fallen man. I do not stand for racism in any form. God made us all; even though it is no longer politically correct to say so in today's confused, ungodly world. Concerning gays, the Bible is against such sick lifestyles. What the whole Western world thinks makes no difference to the truth of God's Word. Gay people neef spiritual help. I stand with MeL Gibson against the gay lifestyle. It's both unnatural and ungodly. True friends are loyal especially in times of trouble. Jodie Foster must be a true friend of Mr. Gibson.

September 23, 2010 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Posh-Kenneth

@Enoch7th- Oh YES all of us EVIL GAYS whose lives have no impact on you GODLY christians what-so-ever! Leave us to our hell YOU ALMIGHTY RIGHTEOUS BEING! GOD BLESS. *smack* STFU, yes we made "neef" spiritual help... but who doesn't? I'm pretty sure rapists, pedophiles, blahblahblah can be straight christians too not just us GAY DEVIANTS. Do something productive, quit being such a hate monger. Isn't Jesus all about love and whatever the heck else? Freakin bible thumper idiot.

September 23, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • OMD

God made you? If there is a God, wouldn't he have better things to do than to create your sorry a$$? What a tool!

September 23, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Kathryn

If your god made us all, then your god made us gay and lesbian people, too.

September 24, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Singer

@Posh-Kenneth, you are correct, everybody including Christians need God. That does not excuse unnatural behavior that goes against the Word of God. This is simple, if you believe in God, you believe in His word whether you agree or not. If you choose not to believe, that is your choice. At the end of your life you will know if you made the right choice or not.

September 29, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  46. suzy diamond

Let me start with...I LOVE Jodie Foster. Great actress! I do like Mel Gibson until lately. Don't understand what's going on with him. If he's having some sort of mental breakdown, then get HELP! But to go on, and on with this crap is ridiculous!

September 23, 2010 at 5:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

He's an alcoholic and has anger problems. He may eventually have a nervous breakdown, though, if not helped.

September 23, 2010 at 5:45 am | Report abuse |
  47. Frank

Good on Jodie. She's a true friend. Mel is just a human being and is going through a bad time. He needs support more than ever, as we all do when going through our darkest moments.
    I have been a Mel Gibson fan ever since I saw Mad Max years ago. He is an excellent actor and filmmaker. I certainly don't agree with everything he says and believes in, but I believe in him as an artist and I believe he'll pull through. I just watched Edge of Darkness, and I must say, that man can still act!
    Best wishes to Mel and Jodie!

September 23, 2010 at 5:31 am | Report abuse |
  48. StewieG

It's ok, Christians don't believe in gravity.

September 23, 2010 at 5:22 am | Report abuse |
  49. rico2500

"A friend will see us at our worst, as well as at our best. A friend will not close his or her heart when we have made a mistake. A friend will not condemn us but will compassionately support our return to the state of grace." – Katie Groover

September 23, 2010 at 4:12 am | Report abuse |
  50. r.goad

I worked with jodie and she is a good person. There is to much hate and negativity in this world. Im sure everyone has said or done something they regret when they were angry. We say and act out of the norm when under pressure. How would it be if the world watched your every move and reported to the world about it. (NOT GOOD)

They are actors not gods. They make and do the same stoopid things as we all do. Were just HUMAN BEINGS .

September 23, 2010 at 4:11 am | Report abuse |
  51. JJ Mark

An actor makes gay, racists comments and the whole planet is after him. Politicians do the same and we don't make the same fuss!

September 23, 2010 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
  52. Johan

What ever happened to freedom of speech? Mr. Gibson believes in the Bible and Jesus Christ. Last time I checked, the Bible does not support Gay relationships! I think its refreshing that a person stands for their believes even though they are not "political correct". We all go through rough times and act more or less crazy sometimes. Mr Gibson acts like the rest of us would if we were feeling low. To all of you who think they are moraly higher than humans with feelings and believes: GET A LIFE!!!! (sorry for the bad writing, Im not from around)

September 23, 2010 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
  53. George

Jodie Foster just went way up in my estimation. So easy to kick Gibson atm when everyone is against him.

September 23, 2010 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  54. Whoops

My comment, above, should have read "not a good person."

September 22, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • just so

No, you were night the first time.

And loyalty in a friend is everything. I like Jodie because she loves someone others think 'unlovable', You would drop your own mother if push came to shove.

September 23, 2010 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  55. You kidding?

Mel Gibson is a good person going through a hard time. Yes, that would be the kind of person worth being loyal to. Mel's horrible outbursts reveal his character. Shame on you, Jodie.

September 22, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • KKKKKatie

You are lucky that all of your friends are perfect, shining citizens that never make mistakes or say anything hurtful. It must be nice to live is such a happy place all the time.

September 23, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  56. b0bc4t

I have gotten into fights with a sibling that bordered on the type of rant that Mel exhibited, though I would not have spoken to her like that, obviously Oksana goaded him into a drunken rage. This doesn't excuse him, but makes the context a little more believable, considering the library of work Mel has produced over the years. The man is human, and fallible, but he also let his underlying biases out and he spoke with hate, which like a bullet, cannot be undone.

I hope he gets some of the needed counseling to overcome the feelings he harbors, and look forward to seeing his movie with Jodi Foster. I am happy to see that not everyone feels resentment for him, and look to a lifetime of work and admiration, rather than be repulsed by what should be a private matter. It was only released because, in addition to trying to have 'another' actor pay for her illegitimate children, she tried to extort him when an offer was made to arrange for an amicable settlement. That is why the court sided with Mel Gibson and not Oksana "wanna payday" Gregorieva!

September 22, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • gfloyd

Yeah right – she goaded him into a drunken rage. It's her fault that he got drunk and went to crazy town. Try, again.

September 25, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Mel Sucks

Mel Gibson is a racist, woman hating, gay hating, J*w hating dirtbag. Don't believe me?? Go listen to the Mel Gibson tapes on radar online. My favorite quote is "You should just smile and blowwwwwwwwwwww me"... Nice huh??

Having said that, Mel is in a bunch of my all time favorite movies and he's a GREAT actor, and while I'll continue to watch and own the old stuff, I would not pay any money towards anything new because I wouldn't want to support a disgusting human being.

September 22, 2010 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • just so

I think is an awful lot like most people – only he has the media on his back and is highly distressed.

I love Mel and wish him well.

September 23, 2010 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
    • paul

I agree alcohol brings out a persons true feelings, this creature is clearly no friend and to think I liked this monster at one point in my life, I guess you can be fooled at any point!

September 26, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • White Oak

My kind of guy. A real man not scared of all the PC bull....say what is on his mind. You go, Braveheart!!

September 28, 2010 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  58. Tony

My two favourite actors but can't figure out why they click. I'll go see The Beaver, regardless of any slime that's thrown at Mel. He probably said loads of this stuff in the heat of the moment, like we all do. I doubt very much he actually means any harm. As for all the rediculous speculation over the years about Jodie's personal feelings, only she knows how she feels, so it's quite refreshing to see her declaring a form of love for Mel Gibson, whatever she means. I would love to see Jodie win a best director Oscar, as I know directing is a huge ambition for her. If she could match her directing skill to that of her acting..... well you don't get better than that.

September 22, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Right on

What a great comment and come back after all these 'Media' biased comments up above.
      I agree 100% with you 'Tony'. You made my day and renewed hope that there is intelligent life out there.

September 23, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ally

I'll tell you why they click. Because he's a Capricorn guy and she's a Scorpio woman. These two signs click like peas and carrots. I should know. I'm a Scorp chick, too, and have instantly loved every Caprciron male friend I have ever met and have dated two Cap guys. There is an unspoken bond between these two who have a lot in common, most importantly loyalty. I know it sounds otherworldly and wacky, but that's my two cents from both experience and observation :)

September 27, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  59. TJ

What else do you expect Jodie to say??? They both have a movie coming out which she directed. DUH!!!

September 22, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  60. b0bc4t

I like Jodi Foster, and admire her for her loyalty to Mel Gibson. He was gaoded to utter those words by a manipulative moster in Oksana, who wants to keep the star funded money faucet flowing, providing for her illegitimite children. She preyed on Mel, ground him down to a drunken nub, and he lashed out with hateful things thaat should have been their private business, except that she wanted to ruin him and cash in. He has his own demons and some soul searching to do, for sure, but I am glad that not everyone has abandoned him.

September 22, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Right On

Jodie Foster is one class act, not to mention a great actress. I totally agree with her....you don't abandon a friend when they are in trouble. If you have ever had or have had friends/family members with a subtance abuse, you know that they are totally different people when they are under the influence. It is NOT who they truly are and those who are so quick to judge are either hypocrits or self-righteous know-it-alls. We don't know what demons other people fight in their life, so keep your small minded, judgmental remarks to yourself.

September 22, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  62. alastair

Hats off to Jodie Foster. In a world of shallow minded people who sell their friends for the price of dinner for two, she's one of a kind. People could do a lot worse than to follow her shining example. Some things are worth more than money, like loyalty and love.

September 22, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • KKKKKatie

If we all abandoned family and friends when they make a mistake, even a horrible one, all of us would be alone. I don't doubt that Mel has said some awful things, but I'm also objective enough and smart enough not to believe EVERYTHING I read and hear in the media. There are two sides to every story and somewhere in between is the truth. Most people want to believe and assume the worst about everyone.

September 23, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • KKKKKatie

I agree alastair, true friends stick by your side no matter what happens. I'm glad she has the courage to speak up and stand by her friend.

September 23, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  63. shapri

He hates gays and this and this and that.....says who?? The media or have you heard that yourself. Who are we to judge? The only person that has that right, is the man above. Do you want someone to hate you for everything you stand for or believe in...where does that get us...which is why this world is a crazy one....I did not hear the tapes. so I cannot comment. on that. Let it be

September 22, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • XDjo

Just because you stick your head in the sand does not mean it did not happen. Do you think the media just randomly made up Mel's DUI arrest and comments? I'll agree his ex-wife did lead him down a path, but he still said some pretty rough stuff.

September 22, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

That's right. You can't judge a person by what he says and does, you have to listen to what his publicists says.
      And hey! A movie about lesbians and beavers? You got to love Hollywood, they think out of the box.

September 25, 2010 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
    • captwasabi

Shut the hell up.

September 27, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  64. J. Scott Moore

Jodie Foster can do no wrong, in my opinion. Love her. Go Jodie!

September 22, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • G

I love Jodie Foster too!!!

September 22, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

I agree. I love Jodi Foster as well. She isn't saying that what Gibson said or did isn't wrong. She's simply saying that she considers him a friend and doesn't turn her back on a friend. Period. I respect that. Also, she is making a movie with him so she's not going to speak out against him even if she privately disagrees with his actions.

September 28, 2010 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  65. elidude

I didn't know she took drugs...

September 22, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • darncat

you didn't know Jodie Foster did drugs?!?
      where have you been?

September 29, 2010 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  66. Claaaarence

"BEAVER"?!?!?!

THAT IS TOO FUNNY!!!!!

September 22, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  67. David Kogan

How does she feel about Jews i wonder?

September 22, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Lol. Don't let the ADL see that.

September 25, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • JW

Chut Pata: You have it all inverted. An anti-Semite is someone who attributes dark evil forces to the Jews as a whole, generalizing based on the real or imagined actions of certain individuals, as if the Jewish People alone exhibit such behaviors to an extent that no other people in the world do in equal measure.

September 26, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Higgs Boson

JW – I NEVER heard it said better! You encapsulated the entire 2000 + years of Jew-persecution perfectly. Incidentally, note that I wrote "Jew persecution" (or "Jew hatred"). I did NOT write "anti-Semitism", which is an inaccurate term. Some of the biggest anti-Semites are Semites themselves - our near relatives, the Arabs. "Anti-Semitism" was invented by a German in the 19th Century. It's oh, so polite, but inaccurate. Let's call it what it is: "Jew-hatred".

September 27, 2010 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

JW, you misunderstood. What Chut was getting at was the mentality of certain Jewish people and Jewish groups like the ADL, who think that Jews can do no wrong and lash out whenever someone says something.

September 27, 2010 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
    • JW

Frank: Your comment is a perfect case in point. Are you actually saying that groups like the ADL believe it impossible to be ever wrong on anything? Give us a break!

September 28, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • lvi

who cares? why everything has to be measured by stand on Jews?

September 30, 2010 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

JW, the ADL actually does seem to think that it's never wrong. They're constantly calling others out for what they believe, but never taking back anything they say. They're just the media arm of the Mossad.

October 26, 2010 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  68. Geoff Hector

OMG – I laughed out loud at that comment!

September 22, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Jodey

Do you wanna tell Jodie Foster than Mel Gibson hates gay people, or should I?

September 22, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • montoman51

ur you saying Jodi is gay? this stinks!

September 22, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Natch

She's not gay, she's lesbian. Or, as we gently put it, "a woman in comfortable shoes"!!

Get your gay & lesbian pride labels straight, would you?? ;)

September 23, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • gfloyd

Natch, A lesbian is woman who is gay. A woman can be gay. You are clueless.

September 25, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

'Gay' is quickly becoming a catch-all term for everyone in the LGBT community. Which isn't the best move.

September 25, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard Fusilier

That a lot of Bull about Mel Gibson, a real Talent . A hatchet job! I'm eagerly waiting for his next motion picture.

September 26, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |