Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler join the 'Idol' judges table
September 22nd, 2010

Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler join the 'Idol' judges table

After the departures of Simon Cowell, Ellen DeGeneres and Kara DioGuardi, Fox has tapped Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler to join the last man standing, Randy Jackson, at the judges' table for "American Idol's " upcoming season. In addition, legendary music producer Jimmy Iovine will serve as a mentor to contestants.

The news arrives after weeks of rumors, stories about divas and a member of Aerosmith saying “Idol” is just barely a step above “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles."

What do you think of the new judges panel? Will you be watching? Post a comment below or share an iReport.

Click here for the full story on today's 'American Idol' judges' announcement.

Filed under: American Idol 2010 • television

1. tryecrot

August 27, 2011 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  2. irene brewer

the prediction of burt weiss on sept 30 sbt regarding a diva rival between steve tyler and jlo is hardly surprising. i sensed it in every one of their photo shots together!!! it seemed especially evident on jlo's face. steve seemed to be trying harder to hide it.

October 1, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. John Kenney

You know I think the show will be a big hit look at all the people talking and emailing the press covering it all JL and ST are so famouse. Simon when he started Idol was not famous or a musician he only makes money from Idol Finalist after he produces and sells them. Also he still ownes the show. I never watch idol now I will cause Steven Tyler will be on I know he will find good talent . We won't end up with another Clay Ackins If thats how ya spell it, nise guy but hate his voice.

September 27, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kexessa

Steven Tyler will make the new season watchable. Unfortunately we have to take the horrible, completely without talent JLo with him. Love TIVO, watch him, mute her.

September 27, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. missniss

Should have hired Harry Connick Jr. to replace all of them. He did exceptional last year. But instead, we get Jenny from the block.

September 27, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. D.J.ez

Cancel the show, gets worse each year! Simon no loss but Paula was! Didn't watch it last season because of the Paula mess!

September 26, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. amanda paradiso

wow really, steven tyler & jennifer lopez?!?!?! I guess I'm not shocked, Aerosmith has been around a very long time, their first albums that came out were way beyond their time, such as "gems" "toys in the attic" and "rocks", all iconic jams on these. Steven Tyler is both Flamboyant and masculine, so hopefully he'll be able to incorperate that in his opinions.. Although Jenni Loez doesn't put out my favorite music, oris she my favorite actor, she has built an empirefrom the ground up, she has to have a good business mind.. I prefer Brett to Steven, only because he's sooooo compassionate. As far as what their paying these people, is a dang joke, really, that money could practically re-build New Orleans.. I could go on and on, we all face our "Maker" in the end!!!

September 26, 2010 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  8. Laura E.

Steven Tyler is not only a legend...I had a chance to meet him and he's a gentleman...very very nice and kind!
    I was not even a great fan, but after that I become a great fan!

September 24, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  9. Fariborz

cool

September 24, 2010 at 4:44 am | Report abuse |
  10. Admin

soooo...there bringing 2 women to the panel?

September 23, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  11. LoJenk

PROOF THAT AMERICAN IDOL IS FAKE, RIGGED, STAGED, aka Smoke and Mirrors!!!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVdV4X2M2AI&w=640&h=390]

September 23, 2010 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  12. WhocaresUSA

Wish this show would go away already.

September 23, 2010 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  13. SKY

FACT: STEVEN TYLER KEEPS THE SHOW ALIVE...J. LOPEZ WILL DRAW ALL THE SPANISH PEOPLE,. AND RANDY WHO IS ONE OF THE ORGINAL KEEPS THE SHOW CALLED AMERICAN IDOL.
    I WILL LOOK AT THE SHOW SOMETIMES JUST TO SEE STEVE TYLER SAY A FEW WORDS, AND THAT
    MAKES MY DAY!

September 22, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Cathy

So long American Idol!
    Randy is stale and J-Lopez isn't a credible musician. Steven Tyler should have replaced Randy and a music industry wizard should be replacing Simon. Bad choices all around! I won't be watching anymore.

September 22, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. b0bc4t

I could never stand Amerian Idol while Simon was the Judge. The only way I would have watched is if the previews showed an angry contestant, rush the judges, knock his English butt over and stomp on his throat til he DIED! I don't tolerate the whole local karaoke gone global thing, and would be glad to see American Idol go away forever. J Lo will be lost to the compact mirror she hides like a teleprompter to see herself perform, and Steven Tyler will be just this side of Anna Smith away from an overdose on the show, making Paula look like a university professor. Reality at its' finnest!

September 22, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  16. REM

Great choices. Never cared for Paula being a crackhead, and Simon's sarcasm got old after a while (Piers Morgan has taken that role over). Steven definitely has a great ear for music/talent, and will add comedy with his antics, regardless of what you people say about his age- ever see him on stage? Clearly not if you have the balls to insult him, you only suggest Brett Michaels because he's suddenly famous with young people from his reality shows (how many of you REALLY listened to Poison before then or even now?). As for J.Lo, she knows the entertainment business. Finally I think I'll watch AI again.

September 22, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  17. mashengky

david foster would be perfect.. and madonna

September 22, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Meranda

Anyone is better than Kara DioGuardi. I could not stand that chick! I think it is an interesting combo and will watch to see how it goes. I do miss Simon and Paula though!! A I should have never let her go and got rid of Kara! There is going to have to be someone on there that has Simon's bluntness or I am afraid it will not work. But I am open minded and will see how it turns out......

September 22, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  19. HellsKitchen

How about the host from Hell's Kitchen?

September 22, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Ruth Huarneck

That's it... i'll never watch american idol again. jennifer lopez is the worst choice possible for any type of positive representation. She needs to judge herself first and make some changes. Tyler is good, at least he doesn't think he's better than anybody.

September 22, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Martom

I will most likely never watch this show again. How low can they get. At least get some judges who can actually sing!!

September 22, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  22. The Man

People who suggest Brett Michaels over Steven Tyler are clearly delusional. Steven Tyler was a master singe,r songwriter when BM was in diapers. Hell, even BM would agree.

September 22, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Sarah Vasquez

I too LOVE Jennifer Lopez ! I think she is beautiful, smart and multi-talented. There isn't anything that she cannot do.
    (Unfortunately, her haters are intimidated by that, but that's their problem).
    I will definitely tune in just to watch her !

September 22, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Ted

Sanchez – Lopez... I get it!

September 22, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Yvonne Sanchez

I LOVE Jennifer Lopez ! I think she is beautiful, smart and multi-talented. There isn't anything that she cannot do.
    (Unfortunately, her haters are intimidated by that, but that's their problem).
    I will definitely tune in just to watch her !

September 22, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Ted Nugent

BB – I love me some animal! A bow right through the heart of a scrumptious deer gives me a woodrow wilson! Unlike JLo I am very friendly to animals – until their ripe for the killing – then zowie! – Right thru the heart!

September 22, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Milton

Steven Tyler is the only reason I would even watch American Idol, but I am thru watching Idol with J-Lo I can understand having Steven Tyler as a judge. He's a real singer and musician. But Lopez????? Get real!

September 22, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  28. jerry

BB says: "JLo is NOT a friend to the animals. She refuses to stop her frequent use of fur in her clothing lines. I can't support her in any way so I will find something more interesting to watch." What kind of moron are you? I'm sure PETA has a blog/forum you can join in on. I want to eat Lady GaGa's dress! Gimmee some raw, dead meat!! Yum!!!!!!!!

September 22, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Jerry

BB – Bringing animals into this? What kind of psycho are you? This is a ah em, talent show! Go hug a tree you idiot!

September 22, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  30. moni

jajjajajajajaja!! beast and the beast!! LMAO!! !

September 22, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  31. themoi

Sorry Green Day but this show now needs to be called "American Idiot". Thankfully this line up will be the death knell it needed a long time ago!

September 22, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Lilly

I will probably watch it and see how it goes, but I do not have high expectations. I like Aerosmith ok, but I don't see Steven Tyler as a judge on AI. I think Harry Connick Jr. would have been great.

September 22, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Jerry Springer

What's this Steve Tyler guy and this Jenny Lopes gal? Ovey! I should be the judge. Think about it? I am the greatest "reality" show host ever. Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

September 22, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  34. BB

September 22, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  35. denise

OMG I just puked in my mouth! But ugly, both greedy, and both has been with everyone!

September 22, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Billy Idol

Hey Little Sister....I'm the ONLY IDOL!!!!Give me a call

September 22, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  37. MeNBe

End it already! It's not like survivor, it needs to end and no matter what star you throw at it - it wont make it interesting again!!

September 22, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Doubtful

J-Lo = Paula Abdul....dancer turned singer, bad actress. They're thinking that the same formula will yield the same results. Wrong! Steven Tyler? I don't know if he'll be interesting enough w/o being on stage. He won't be a performer so I'm not sure how to gauge him. I think they're making a mistake, but what do I know....I don't watch the show. Good to both. P.S. who the heck is Kara?

September 22, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  39. JohnD

I think Eminem would be a better choice than Steven Tyler

September 22, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Mel V.

Well to start with I'm not a die-hard Idol fan. I've watched it here and there. Truth of the matter is Steven Tyler and JLo are both in the music business whether or not you think they are has beens or no talents. Fact is you can't be a front man of a band like Aerosmith and not know about music and apparently some people do like JLo's music or she wouldn't still be making it. I hope with the new judges comes new life to the show. Many seem to forget that idol has given us many talents such as Kelly, Carrie, Jennifer and Daughtry etc who without this show wouldn't have been living their dreams. Maybe choosing the judges could have been done different, maybe the viewing public could have voted. Who knows? For those of you who watch the show, the new judges may surprise you. So for now sit back and enjoy the ride or the crash however you might want to look at it. Have a nice day!

September 22, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terrie

What music has Lopez recently done? That's right NONE......she's a greedy diva in every since of the word. She's nothing and shouldn't be on this show. I don't watch because it's a joke of a show anyway. It's rigged. It's not based on true talent. It's who the producers want to win. The voting system is also a joke. This will hopefully be the demise of American Idol. As for Tyler, he is a musician and has been in the music business for many years and can most likely provide something to the show. But Lopez, not hardly, all she can provide is how to be a greedy diva.

September 23, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  41. krizzle

Steven Tyler is a great artist, but the show is still lame/boring and I won't be watching.

September 22, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Purple

Steven Tyler is the only reason I would even watch American Idol. Finally, someone who can bring some good old rock and roll to this pop fest. Rock on, Steven! You are the best!!!

September 22, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  43. meadowmuffin

Steve Tyler is yummy...mmmmmmmhhmmmmm

September 22, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Jim B

Paula and Simon were the heart and soul respectively of that show. Randy, luv ya', but with all due respect you weren't the reason we tuned in every week Dawg! They should just cancel the show now and go out with some dignity before these two send it down in flames.

September 22, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Stig O'Hara

Who cares? As usual, I'll just check out the acts that start to rise to the top on YT, ignoring the judges.

September 22, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Pattym

Can't stand Jennifer Lopez. Harry Connick or Brett Michaels would have been better.

September 22, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  47. JayMo

First of all J-Lo is way hotter than Paula, Kara, and Ellen so its an upgrade there. Second, since she is a judge she doesnt have to sing or perform, so thats good I guess. Third, she's been in the music/acting career for a LONG time so she must be doing something right and she probably has some worth while advice. I dont know how Tyler will work out but he should be very entertaining, if not completely annoying.
    I will probably tune in for a couple weeks just because there are new judges. Idol was getting so boring the last few years.

September 22, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Pokey

my prediction: Tyler and Lopez will be judges for just one season, "Idol" will bring in 2 more recognizable names and they will tank also. And that will be the end....thankfully! Cowell, Jackson and Abdul were the right mix of brutal honesty (Simon), respectable talent recognition (Randy), and flaky entertainment (Paula). You can't re-manufacture that!

September 22, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  49. meadowmuffin

MMMMM Steve Tyler is hot...yummy

September 22, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  50. doubleR

Idol is a complete joke. The live audience is composed of 13-year-old girls who boo any kind of criticism from the judges, even if it's valid, constructive criticism.

September 22, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  51. No longer a fan

J LO??!! The woman can barely carry tune!! She can't act and her voice is awful!! I won't be watching.

September 22, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Tom J.

Hey folks, this is definitely the end of "Idol". Jennifer is so fine; but Tyler should be in a nursing home!

September 22, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  53. PaddyReagan

Too much emphasis on judges! Too often their obligatory comments are meaningless and predictible. Remove "dawg" and "pitchy" and Jackson would be a mime. Simon developed 25 ways to say "I hate you!" In my opinion, here's what's killing Idol: The show is too blimped up with weeks of auditions with too much emphais being funny and absurd. You know screeners are scheduling those we see and toss in the idiots as comic relief. Then, we have 24 performers to work through before the real show can begin. STOP! Idol became successful because viewers developed relations with the artists and each week, the angst and loyalty grew as the pool became smaller. Now, my family is bored with it all before the real talent search begins with 12 performers.

Forget the two night nonsense. For busy families it's difficult to isolate the time to watch on Tuesday and amost impossible to carve two consecutive nights out of a busy schedule to watch the puffed up Wednesday show. Consider a two hour show with a one hour voting window and a half hour winners wrap later in the evening.

Idol provides an incredible short cut to stardom. It gives us hometown heros and shows us its impact on family and friends. Most of all, it's a proven commodity with successful singing careers for participants. Get back to basics. The stars are the singers and their moments in the spotlight shouldn't be diluted by judges who have nothing to say or by producers who keep adding hours of junked up viewing time.!

September 22, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Columbus

Right!, and didn't producer Nigel Lythgoe say the emphasis was on the judges and that's why last year's show sucked. So here we go again.

September 22, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Howie

How about too much voting?!? If the mediocre masses were not allowed to vote, and only actual successful musicians were allowed to judge, we might see some real talent on this show. Instead, it is a race to the bottom. there has NEVER been a good artist showcased on this farce. AI is crap!

September 22, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  54. jason wolff

I personally would rather look at my severly misshaped right testacle than those two.

September 22, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  55. AI NEED REAL TALENT

Without a good talent pool this season will be the last. It is up to the talent to save AI. Let's face it, Simone and the others were not picking good talent anymore.

September 22, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  56. MISS SIMON

I don't think so!!! without simon who really wants to watch????

September 22, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Wild Child

People. Steven is a legend. You people are not worthy. Steven, rock on my friend. I am looking forward to watching. Bashers need to climb back under the rock that crawled out from. One of the greatest rock singers in history will judge young talent. Excellent.

September 22, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Howie

Steven is a legend, and should not lower himself to participate in this talentless farce. It would be nice if he was actually judging young talent, unfortunately there isn't enough talent showcased on idol to fill a shot glass. Maybe if they got rid of the viewer vote portion actual talent might have a chance to show through, but if America gets to vote, mediocrity will win every time. Leave this BS to talentless J-Lo and the like, Steven should not lower himself in this way.

September 22, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Aerofan

Ok....always been an AI fan. But.....JLO...OMG. No talent and really bad choice. Steven...Love him. Extremely talented and if you have EVER seen Aerosmith live, you would not be calling him a HAS BEEN!!! Just saw them a few weeks ago and that man has got CHOPS! Is he a good choice for a judge...I think so. Probably the only reason I will continue watching the show now that Simon is gone!

September 22, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  59. patti

Bad choices but they love to shake things up!

September 22, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Chris

I am thru watching Idol with Tyler on board!!!

September 22, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Beth

SIMON IS GONE....IDOL IS OVER!!!

September 22, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Pamela

I do believe I am done with American Idol. Without Simon there to tell people the truth, because he knows the music world, we will have a screamer, a sort of good singer but better actress and a guitar player. Boring! They'll all be relatively nice as not to hurt anyone's feeling. I'm done.

September 22, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Rob

I love Aerosmith but this will not work. Please end this madness now!! AI is like the Sopranos...It's OVER!

September 22, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Jeremy

For christ's sake. Steven Tyler is a sellout...and must be pretty broke.

September 22, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  65. NeNe

I sure was hoping that it would NOT be J.LO. Alas, my worst nightmare has been realized. Hhmm ...they may surprise me.

September 22, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  66. SteveM

I'll still be watching, (as bad as I hate Fox), because I do like to see the contestants. Afterall, it's not about the judges, it's about the contestants. They can't be any worse than Simon.

September 22, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  67. CTHE3

This will SUCK!!!!

September 22, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  68. craig

yeah two people who are irrelevant in todays music hosting a show that soon will be if it isnt already. i would say they have now jumped the shark

September 22, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blah

Yes, because Paula Abdul was still so totally relevant when the show started. *eye roll*

September 22, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  69. TJ

Consider that shark jumped. The only person that could replace Simon was Howard Stern, but it looks like the producers wanted to play it conservative and guarantee irrelevance by next season. Look for a rapid ratings decline.

September 22, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  70. birdlady

I'm actually looking forward to Steven- he has the long background/experience to judge. J.Lo not so much- need a behind-the-scenes type producer or someone very experienced instead...

September 22, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • mgc

He sure does! bring on the booze and the drugs!!! and just for the record, those applying for idol now have no idea who areosmith was....times does pass folks, like 20 years ago lol

September 22, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  71. J-LO HATER

I cannot stand J-LO and for that reason will NOT watch American Idol. The lady is a vain cow that wears dead animals on her back.
    No longer a fan of American Idol.

September 22, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Aidan Eugene McMurray

Ok, Let's be honest here people. How many of you have had a successful Music Career? Your judgments are not based on anything other than your own bias opinions and disappointments. While the Show may be losing its edge, I wouldn't say these two new judges are a bad choice until we see them "being bad judges" on the show. Then we can say FOX made a decision. As far as Success, I wouldn't call Jennifer Lopez a failure as she has had more success than many of the Musical Artists out there. She has made more films than all of the leading woman out there, and know how hard the industry is.
    Tyler, I mean come on the guy Is an American Music Icon. We aren't here to talk about there talent, but their sense and knowledge of the industry. What works and what doesn't. I think they would both know from there own success and failure as well as those around them.

September 22, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • michael

Making movies and records does not mean making GOOD movies and records. She has no talent so she can offer no useful advice!

September 22, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • tonysgirl

Well said, Aidan!

September 22, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  73. NacLady

People really still watch this crap? ugh....

September 22, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Carol

Stephen Tyler is an artist and a music legend, no doubt about that.

September 22, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  75. klamerus

Great, foggy and froggy...

September 22, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Dave

Barf . ..

September 22, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Robert

Want me to watch? Try paying me 12 millions. That woman cannot act, dance and sing. Sing even less.

September 22, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Cheryl

As soon as it was announced that Simon was leaving they should've just cancelled the show. At least he was honest on who could and couldn't sing. Adding Stephen Tyler who I love in Aerosmith but probably wouldn't be a good judge and JLO who I can't stand and is only on this show to try to boost her career is for sure going to bring the end to this show. I will not be watching.

September 22, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  79. JSmith

Yet another reason not to watch this show. FOX should have have stopped producing AI a few years back. Very bad choices for the new judges, 2 has-beens.

September 22, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Conic

"a member of Aerosmith saying “Idol” is just barely a step above “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles."

How dare they insult The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles like that. 'Idol' will never compare to the TMNT!! I just lost all respect for Aerosmith.

Just let the stupid show die already.

September 22, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Hideyakidshideyawifeandhideyahusbandcausetheyrapinerrbodyouthere

Kanye West, Justin Bieber and Antwone Dodson

September 22, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Keith

I hope Tyler isn't as weird as he looks! To me the real fly in the ointment is Ryan Seacrest. He's embarrassing.

September 22, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  83. brad

So who is the jerk on the show now? It won't be "new guy" (Tyler) or "new girl" (JLo). It won't be Randy Jackson. Idol is fading. I predict Seacrest with join Simon on Xfactor within 2 years. Come join the conversation about Idol here: http://bit.ly/ayMYPz

September 22, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  84. joe krup

This looks like a before and after picture of J Lo. Picture of her now and a picture of her when she is 70. Seriously hire a noone that knows about singing. Before did wew know who Simon was. NO!

September 22, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  85. none

test

September 22, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  86. David

Ummm that's not J-Lo it's Beyonce in the picture.

September 22, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Dana

I don't plan to be watching American Idol this season. Kara Dioguardi caught a lot of slack since she started, meanwhile she has a lot to offer as a judge and a lot of great constructive criticism. She knows what she's talking about. And Simon said what everyone was thinking and didn't want to say. Yes, he sometimes went too far, but most of the time he was spot on. Randy's opinion is useless and monotonous. Nothing is ever original that comes from his mouth, which si disappointing. I hope Tyler won't be the same way. J Lo couldn't even sing when her first single came out years ago. Granted, she has a lot of experience as a "star," but that's about it. Not interested.

September 22, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Johnny V

I have never watched a single episode. Might have to take a look now that Steven Tyler is on board.

September 22, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  89. clr

ick... tyler... bad choice. I could not see myself watching him every week...

September 22, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  90. JoeNJ

Jennifer Lopez will fake her way through judging just like she has faked her way through her entire career. Will Steven Tyler be able to make it through the entire season without being stricken with some medical ailment? While he may be able to judge a rock voice, I can't imagine him judging singers doing Celine Dion and disco songs. If the show does come back for another season after this one, I bet it will be with three new judges.

September 22, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Audrey

This will be awful, and AI will survive anyway. Look at the crap people watch. Bad taste and stupidity are like renewable resources in America.

September 22, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Kenny

I think Randy is secretly updating his resume because even HE knows AI is screwed

September 22, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  93. WisEng

Steve, is a cool guy, but he can have a caustic mouth. I don't watch this stupid show, but I might now to see how Perry reacts.

September 22, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  94. tonysgirl

I have to admit that no, the show won't be the same without Simon. But, shows do move on without the "popular one". We will just have to see how it goes. If you don't like it, don't watch it. I gotta say though, I am not a big fan of J-Lo, but I'm very excited to see Steven Tyler. I will watch just for him. And those of you putting him down because of how he looks....why don't YOU look in the mirror and ask yourself why you're still working at a dead-end job, and Mr. Tyler is out having a fun time at his job! Go Steven! LOVE YOU!

September 22, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  95. cxd

will this train wreck of a show please die!

September 22, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Mary

I just dont know what to say! its gonna flop.jLOpez pretends to be the girl next door but why then is she getting 12 MILLION DOLLARS to judge on this show?The girl next door is cleaning toilets for 7dollars an hour! its making me real sick.AND HIM<HER WHATEVER IT IS! NEEDS TO QUIT THE SURGERYS NOW. My god whatever happened to our show?12 million dollars PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!! MOST PEOPLE ARE OUT OF WORK&THEIR HOMES TAKEN BY THE GREEDY BANKS&SHE WANTS 12 correction! will settle for 12 until she can get more later. MY GAG IS AS BIG AS HER BUTT! WHATEVER ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST sincerely would have done it for 30thosand without a hassle DUHHHHHHHHHHH lol

September 22, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

P.S. GOT_CHA OLD ROCKER! I LOVED HIM THEN ALSO THEN BEING THE KEY WORD!! AND BY THE WAT IAM 54 NOT 17-20. ITS NOT A CONCERT! so what are you talking about?

September 22, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Lostee

I am not the biggest Idol fan, but after seeing the confirmation of the judges today, let's be honest. FOX knows that the show is out the door and simply do not want it to be, therefore you offer a ton of cash to two "stars" who have been out of the limelight for a while now to try and drum up interest. God knows that the only reason Randy is still there because he had one year left, which means he has to endure them this season, then I sure we can see Randy over at X-Factor.

September 22, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Nernie

DONE, will no longer watch without Simon. And these two are a joke.

September 22, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Lynn

I was rooting for Brett Michaels.

September 22, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Lynn

Babe, rooting for Brett Michaels is for saps. The guy's not even a has-been, he's a never was. Bar band trash at best. He hasn't had any success with music for decades. Time to stop sniffing glue and realize your infatuation with him is just plain stupid.

September 22, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Patty

I stopped watching when Ellen D. was a judge. Never could figure out what a stand up comic/talk show host knew about the music industry.

September 22, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Brenda

JLO and Steven? Bad choice. These two need to retire already!! Jennifer can't even make a good movie or a song anymore. She needs to take care of her kids. I'm sure she's got plenty of $$$$$$ already. And Steven he might faint if he gets to excited...lol. BAD CHOICES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......They should of picked younger people!!

September 22, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  102. papi3030

The show will initially have strong ratings. However, ratings will drop fast. Lopez? She couldn’t win Idol!

September 22, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  103. mgc

Areosmith who?? that is one kind of music and not exactly mainstream, besides this guy is really hard to look at. Time for Idol to go anyway!

September 22, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Audrey

Are you 12? Aerosmith is legend.

September 22, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Not mainstream, seriously?????? They have been playing for longer than you’ve been alive. Does your mom know your playing on her computer?

September 22, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Captain Slapaho

Those pics look like a before and after ad for a plastic surgery clinic.

September 22, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  105. me

I always watch the first couple of days, the auditions, I love to watch some of these people. New judges could make it funnier. I especially like it when someone, who is obviously from another planet, says "my friends think I'm great", dude...those are not your friends.

September 22, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Nedermeyer

You're all worthless and weak. Now drop and give me 20!

September 22, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  107. michael tampa

Lopez has 0 talent, just a wanna be singer, actress and Diva. As for the crypt keeper, why would i want to look at that face every week...i don't think so...

bye bye idol

September 22, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  108. jerrys1953

I have watched my last season of AI. Don't care for either one of these new judges. See ya!

September 22, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Sandy

Groan . . . she's already saying stupid things . . . "I'm looking for the next Michael Jackson . . . " Oh, gimme a break!

September 22, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  110. sconcept

Goodbye American Idol. It was nice while it lasted.

September 22, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  111. jen

see ya.........can;t stand that big butt women, why doesn't some one teach her how to speak english...........

September 22, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  112. 80's Rocker

You all must be 17 to 20 years old. Steven Tyler is Aerosmith. Because of him I will finally watch an entire season of idol.

September 22, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • 70's Rocker

Absolutely.........I can't wait to see it. These younger ones don't know what they're talking about....

September 22, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Bob

Brett Michaels a better choice??!!?? What are you snorting? Brett Michaels is a no-talent stooge who is good at one thing: leveraging his untalented self. Can't sing, can't write good songs and is a "Hard Rock Cafe rocker" – phony. I agreee with Gene Simmons – he would have been perfect!

September 22, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sandy

Gene Simmons wouldn't know potential if it bit him in the butt. Remember . . . he was the one who said Adam Lambert's career was over after he came out. That goes to show you how much he knows. After a highly successful U.S. tour, Adam is now on his own jet to tour Europe and parts of Asia.

Simmons' problem is he's over the hill and jealous of new talent. That would never work.

September 22, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Sandy

Who the hell is Adam Lambert?

September 22, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Sharon

Geez, Aerosmith is one of the greatest bands out there and give their all at every single live show. If you want to give your opinion on whether Tyler is a good choice for Idol, fine but no need for all the snarky comments from the Too Cool for School bunch. Simon was irreplaceable, and the show won't be the same no matter who they choose. But, it could still be good, we'll see.

September 22, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Daisy

No big surprise in the announcement (although FOX tried to spin it). Choices at first glance are blah! I'll watch the first show and make a decision, but I'm guessing I won't tune in as much unless there are some phenomenal constestants to overshadow the judge's panel. I'll miss Simon and even Kara (who had good advice if not poor judgement in going gaga over Casey in such an unprofessional manner).

September 22, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  116. DeeDee

Oh my! Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler??? She's boring and snobby and he is too weird! What about Shania Twain or Harry Connick Jr or Gladys Knight or Smokey Robinson or Elton John? Oh well...........good bye IDOL!

September 22, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie

You've mentioned several good choices. Extremely talented Artists. Idol get a clue.

September 22, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  117. gman

@maggie – Thanks for letting us know that Funk and Wagnalls is still alive and kicking.

September 22, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  118. boocat

September 22, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Julie

J Lo!? Really? She can't even sing. OMG I heard her on the radio and she was practicing a song and had to keep starting over because she couldn't get the right note, and they expect her to judge other would be talents, this is a joke! A really bad joke! I will not be watching Idol anymore. I miss Ellen and Simon already. I can do without Kara. But J Lo Really?!

September 22, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Alice

Fox has gotta be shakin in their boots right now. Anytime I see this story run, not ONE person has a positive comment. No one wants to see JLo on there, no one likes her. She is horrible, and can't sing to save her life (this is a SINGING contest, isn't it?). Tyler has the singing and performing skills (unlike JHo), but who wants to hear him speak? No one. Ratings have been sinking anyways for this glorified karaoke show, probably because the winner is rarely heard from again. Hey Fox, quit while you're ahead. Hey Ryan Seacrest, you are gay.

September 22, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  121. gman

To sum up the new panel... Come on X-Factor, Fall 2011...

September 22, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  122. maggie

ALL these naysayers aside, we know NOTHING about how these two people think or their ability to evaluate talent! A lot of people thought Ellen would shine and she had nothing to say; these two might just be better arbiters of emerging ability than anyone other than Simon. So why so quick to judge?? We haven't even heard them speak yet!

The absolute and dismissive tone of many commenters suggests to me that they make really quick judgments based on nothing but their own fatuous opinions.

September 22, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Gene Simmons

All right listen up: I should have been chosen at the new head judge. Think about it... I formed the greatest band in the world, discovered Van Halen, produced Cher and Liza Minelli AND sllep with Shannon Tweed. Nigel, call me!

-Gene

September 22, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • @TheGeneSimmonsPoser

Watch out poser, the real Gene Simmons has enough money to hunt you down and cut of your cajones.

September 22, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  124. phoenix

what strange bedfellows king duck lips and the queen derrierre yooza yooza

September 22, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  125. b-dog

They kinda look alike.

September 22, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Sancho Libre

Two words for American Idol: X Factor

Yep, that show will surpass Idol when it begins simply because of Simon Cowell.

September 22, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Dee

Seriously folks Tyler is an amazing artist and has has more staying power then just about anyone in the business. That decision was brilliant. JLo however we will see.

September 22, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Diane

Well I guess it could be worse it could have been Lady GaGaI still think Brett Michaels would have been a better choice then Steve Tyler

September 22, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  129. C

Should have chosen David lee Roth instead.

September 22, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Brenda Collins

I have watched American Idol since its beginning. I refuse to watch AI with the addition of Steven Tyler. That was not the smartest choice and you will end up alienating a good portion of you viewers. Bad moce. Brett Michaes would have been far better choice. Even he might not have been your best choice but certainly far better then Steven Tyler.

September 22, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Sam

Joe Perry was quoted as saying that if Tyler signed a contract that took him away from his job as Aerosmith's lead singer for more than seven months that the band would be finished. I have to seriously question at this point whether Tyler is capable of being both Aerosmith's lead singer and a judge on American Idol.

RIP Aerosmith...it was good while it lasted.

September 22, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Kenny

I wil refuse to watch AI until they get an actual knowledgable music executive who legitimately has an eye for talent. JLo's career is promoted by her big butt. Her singing sucked, her acting sucked. Steve Tylor has a horrible vocal himself and haven't a clue about R&B and Pop music. Randy?.... Randy who?

September 22, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Betty

It's gonna be a great new season! I love both the choices and think even most of those who are complaining are gonna watch anyway lol. I watch about 5 shows on television today and this is one of them. Dont get the complaints though, You can always change the channel.

September 22, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  134. techman81

I don't watch American Idol but I may tune in occasionally now just to see if Tyler can stay sober for each episode.

September 22, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Angel of Mercy

Jennifer Lopez giving someone else tips about how to sing should be fairly entertaining, since girlfriend can barely sing herself.

September 22, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  136. coop

It doesn't matter what judges you get now that Simon left, the show will never be the same. It's just a matter of time until it's off the air.

September 22, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Angel

I think the time has come to say GOOD BYE to American Idol. Come on.. Jennifer Lopez AND Steven Tyler.. Steven needs to retire, and Jennifer has no business being a judge.

September 22, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Penny

I agree with Angel, Jenny from the block has no talent, never liked her as a singer/actress. As for Steven Tyler, "dude looks like a lady" won't be watching AI, send in the clowns.........

September 24, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  138. gman

I don't think I like the new panel.

Sidebar – Have the preliminary auditions happened already, or has Fox announced the new panel just in time to film the 'best of' and 'worst of' audition shows to be aired early in the next season?

September 22, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Aaron

My vote is still for Howard Stern. Marilyn Manson a close second... I don't even watch this stupid show, but I might if they had those two as judges.

September 22, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Peter Bennett

He looks like a cross between Carly Simon (touche) and Howard Stern. Not sure I could handle it.

September 22, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Joe Perry

Did you all see that picture of Steven? Dude look like a lady! A Betty White ugly lady. Audition announcement: if you can screech and look at least younger than 60, twit me!

-Joe

September 22, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Capt. NoDuh

An air head and a drugged head as judges. This will be more fun to watch than Paula Abdul on one of her off nights.

September 22, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Never Realized ...

Steven Tyler is my GRANDMOTHER!!! AAArrrggghhh

September 22, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Truth

Anyone but Betty White...

September 22, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Cat

Ellen, is that really you? It's ME, Catherine Zeta!

September 22, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Holly Golightly

billinpa...we get it. :)

September 22, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Raevyn

Tyler=Win Lopez=Epic Fail

September 22, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Mike Cole

I wanted them to bring back Paula. Randy, Paula and Nigel might have been very good together.

September 22, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  149. SusaLis

Lopez cannot sing – why on earth is she "judging" talented, young up and comers? Tyler has paid his dues but has gone off the rails in the last few years. All this is more proof that a) AI has a year or two left before execs admit it's a mess and b) without Cowell, there is no AI.

September 22, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Luke Smith

Who will be the leader of the pack here? Without a judge on the panel like Simon the chemistry on the the panel will be a bust.

September 22, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  151. occ

I think it is time for Idol to retire. It will not be the same without Simon. He told it as it was even when people just wanted to be told how nice they looked from Paula. Ellen D. was great last season. She will be missed as well as the original judges when they were on the show. Idol will only last for so long.

September 22, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  152. Cat

So Idol does plan to "jump the shark" twice? They should have gotten Oprah AND Judge Judy–cause their careers doesn't need saving.

September 22, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  153. Ellen

J Lo??!? Are you kidding me? How is this over-hyped birdbrain diva going to actually judge talent? At least I was entertaining!

-Ellen DeGe

September 22, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  154. Donnie

NOPE!

September 22, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Otis

Randy is incomprhensible... you know what I mean dogg? No I don't. Tyler is so stoned he'll barely be able to stay awake never mind make slur out a comment. And J Lo will be so set on getting her perks, that she won't give a rats a$$ about the conestants. AI should be about the contestants and no about the judges. I'll monitor the first week or two but may finally be able to tune-out AI for good.

September 22, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  156. Monica

Worst kept secret in the world. Poor choices for both. Neither are very entertaining to say the least. I can't even look at Tyler without cringing. Idol is done without Simon anyway. Looking forward to his new show!!! If this isn't Idol's last season, it should be.

September 22, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  157. justme

Nope. Tyler is scary looking and annoying!

September 22, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  158. billinpa

two reasons not to watch any longer.

September 22, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  159. Tom Thacker

Tyler looks like a very unattractive woman, I might add.

September 22, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  160. Sam

Doubt I will watch this season. Last year was awful.

September 22, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  161. svscnn

Ughh.. who's that old chick?

September 22, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  162. Be Quiet

***grabbing remote, removing American Idol from DVR series list...***

September 22, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  163. stephanie

I predict the demise of the show. No Simon, no show.

September 22, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

The top show on TV is not going to go down in flames because a couple of the judges change. You may not like it, but I predict it will continue to have a long run and will only end because they get tired of doing it, not because of ratings.

September 22, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Conic

Mark, that's pretty funny. You thing a show ending doesn't have to do with ratings? I hope you're kidding. Networks don't air shows because people want to do them. They air them so they can sell commercial air time and make money. The higher the ratings for a show, the more money the can charge for the ad time and the more money they can make. They can't afford to pay J-Lo her $12 million without high ratings and lots of dollars from selling commercial time.

So, I'm sorry. If the ratings are low, I predict a very SHORT run.

I still think what you said was funny though. I'm not trying to be mean. I really needed the laugh. Thanks for that. :)

September 22, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mayte

I believe what Mark was trying to say is that... regardless of who's the judge... people will still watch. The ratings won't be the reason they cancel it... it'll probably be the TV station just getting tired of the same old grind. Not the people...

September 22, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

Mayte, I don't think you get it. Fox is not going to cancel a show simply because they got tired if it. The reason will always be ratings and money. Television is a multi-billion dollar BUSINESS.

September 24, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  164. Joe Perry

Steven is a terrible choice. He's a mediocre singer and quite honestly, we'll be better off without him. Just look how well replacing the lead singer of Journey worked out! -Joe Perry

September 22, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Be Quiet

Oh RIGHT. You're really Joe Perry! Get a life, loser.

September 22, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

Steven Tyler – Joe Perry...........lead singer to Journey was Seven Perry...............coincidence??

September 22, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • @TheJoePerryPoser

You're so stupid you don't even realize that Randy Jackson played bass for Journey. Don't try to be clever. It ain't working.

September 22, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  165. billinpa

two resons not to watch any longer.

September 22, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  166. HR

Good bye Idiol – without Simon you have no show – everybody enjoy the last year -will not be on next year – last year talent sucked, this year talent and judges will suck.

September 22, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  167. grenny4031

I think both are BAD choices. Brett Michaels would have been a better choice than Steven Tyler, who by the way was "kicked out" of his own band for a while this year. And J'Lo?! Sounds to me like they picked 2 former superstars who are trying to revive their careers. Not sure I will watch this season.

September 22, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jacki

While I don't know that he'll be an asset on AI, it's ridiculous to say that someone with over 20 years in the business is a former anything. He may have his issues, but no one that's had women thrown @ them, money thrown @ them & drugs thrown @ them for that long could come out completely unscathed. People like to judge, but they have no idea what that kind of life would do to them.

September 22, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  168. Joe

How shocking!

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz.........

September 22, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • JoesAnIdiot

Hey Joe, what do you know? Absolutely nothing. Why? Because you're an idiot!

September 23, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  169. Christine

I was holding out hope for Brett Michaels/much more palatable or Harry Connick/much more talented – than Tyler.

September 22, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

Bret Michaels? You're kidding right? That guy already has a job, he doesn't need to waste his time watching people sing karaoke.

September 22, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blah

Why not? He has plenty of time to exploit women and his children on VH1. Then again, he'd probably stir up more behind the scenes drama that Paula did with his pervy antics so it's best he steer clear of Idol.

September 22, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mayte

are you kidding me? Tyler has more talent in his pinky toe than most of today's musicians combined.

September 22, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  170. Peach

Love it!

September 22, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  171. all about whats RIGHT

Lets wait and see what happens!All you can do is WAIT & SEE WHAT HAPPENS.OH,BRING A TOWEL.

September 22, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  172. Masha

Yes – JLo – at least one reason to watch the show!

September 22, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  173. Jdoggy

"Dude looks like a Lady!!"

September 22, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  174. Myke

Which one is Steven Tyler?

September 22, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  175. Athena

Eh, nothing special. I think its time for American Idol to end anyway. I predict the lowest ratings this season.

September 22, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  176. K.C. Kincade

Looks like the Beauty and the Beast!

September 22, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Len

So, which one of them is the Beauty? Both look like beasts to me.

September 22, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • jojo

How dare you call J-Lo a beast!

September 22, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Fly on the wall

That's right jojo, her looks are the only reason she's in that biz, because she has little talent.

September 22, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  177. Marcel in Brooklyn

I think the show was already on the decline, but with these two it will tank this season for sure. RIP American Idol!

September 22, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  178. Gr8ful Dude

Is it just me, or does Tyler look like a dead ringer for Carley Simon???

September 22, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  179. megan

jennifer lopez is so thoroughly mediocre and forgettable. a mediocre actress, mediocre dancer, mediocre singer who is not very respected in the entertainment community. bad choice.

September 22, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Fly on the wall

I was about to say, what does SHE know about talent?

September 22, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • toofragile

Very well said. How she can judge if she barely can keep a tune?!!! JL is a very bad choice!!!

September 22, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  180. trustajh

Lopez, maybe. Tyler, definately NOT. Bad choices for Idol, this may be its last season.

September 22, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  181. Les

it "could" be entertaining... we'll see

September 22, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  182. Devin

LOL, actually both of their pictures scared me alittle

September 22, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  183. Kirbieber

I will not be watching. Just boring set of people...

September 22, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  184. JohnB

They should have had a show called "So You Think You Can Judge American Idol" and let us VOTE on who would be there. hahaha

September 22, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  185. Alison

Very few people could revive American Idol with the departure of Simon, and these two are definitely not among them.

September 22, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  186. John Smith

Tyler will try our patience. Bad choice.

September 22, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert

Sorry but this would not make me watch it J-LO please she is a want a bee singer/actress. and the other one good for him. But after the AT&T party when they gave out thousands of cell phones . I dont' trust the show, never will again, and the show is on its way out the door, just like Dancing with the stars.

September 22, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  187. Natasha adefemi

Omgosh stevan Tyler looks like a woman :0

September 22, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • BryanG

So you are saying, Dude looks like a lady?

September 22, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cristina Yeah w/o the H

Hahahaha!! I was totally thinking the same thing! :)

September 22, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Yeah, but I wouldn't date her.

September 22, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bearfoot

Brett Micheals would have been the better choice for the guy. JLo is a good womans choice to replace Kara and or Ellen

September 22, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • 70's Rocker

You must be very young if all you can come up with is a derogatory comment like that. Steven Tyler is Aerosmith and they are one of the all time greatest bands, not like this stuff today where artist don't/can't even play instruments. That's not talent. I can't wait to see AI. It's gonna be great this season....

September 22, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ann

Steven Tyler wrong choice. I have watched for years but will not this year.

September 22, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • alvin fox

tyler,63 years old,yeh he'll make a good judge for the Senior citizen crowd, all 5 or 6 of them.

September 22, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wild Child

September 22, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • gJax

sorry but i actually think steven tyler is gonna be good for AI. hes fronted a legendary band for decades. hes a talented songwriter as well. personally this gives me a reason TO watch!!

September 22, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • AJ

Sorry, this show was all about Simon & the contestants .. sadly, nothing of interest there anymore ..

September 22, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Graben

Hey, my 13 yr old son loves Aerosmith/Steven Tyler. He is still so relevant in music today. I would have been happy if they got rid of Randy too. No feelings either way on JLo yet, keeping an open mind. I love Brett Michaels but he's a little too scattered when speaking so it would have ended up Paulaesque.

September 23, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |