Is '1-8-7' good news for Detroit?
September 22nd, 2010

Is '1-8-7' good news for Detroit?

Detroit sometimes gets a bad rap. So when Metro Detroiters first heard about ABC’s new crime drama, “Detroit 1-8-7” - with 1-8-7 being the police code for homicide - many people were concerned the show would cast an even darker shadow on their beloved city.

But, since the show’s Tuesday night premiere, viewers seem more at ease.

John Roach, a former spokesperson for the Detroit Police Department told the Detroit Free Press: “The ending was a grabber ... I think the show portrayed Detroit's police officers as real people, dedicated, even heroic, which is entirely deserved.”

Ed Fernandez, the vice president and general manager of ABC affiliate WXYZ TV in Detroit, agrees, but he also understands the community’s initial concerns.

“People are fiercely proud of this particular area,” Fernandez told CNN. “When you feel sometimes there’s been a lot of negative comments about that area, you take offense to that. We don’t want to be a joke around the country … People are sensitive to the issues of making sure this area is seen in the proper light.”

Fernandez said he’s sure more people will grow to love the show as it begins to feature “elements that are very beautiful and appealing - the Detroit River, shots of Windsor.” Much like HBO’s “Hung” has done, he added.

“The truth is, the creators of the show … see Detroit as a tremendous city and a great backdrop for the show,” he said. “[They] look at Detroit as a character. There are parts of it that have flaws, but there are also parts that really have character.”

All in all, Fernandez said he has high hopes for the show.

“If it can be a success, it will begin to break down the negative stereotypes that have hampered Detroit. Show a different side [of the city].”

Post by:
Filed under: Fall TV • television • TV recaps

1. Royal Wirtanen

The AffiliateYard.com program will never be the largest but it’s the most effective when it comes to negotiating a commission structure that may start you essentially the most cash for your traffic. Had the ability to barter a hybrid solve them increased my business profits significantly. Their sales force is also in a way advantageous and I’ve noticed my average commissions per trader is certainly above average.

March 12, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. gerri kirk

Love, love the show! My husband and I have never missed an episode. We love seeing the scenery, buildings, and show casing our beautiful city. We get such a bad rap. We live about 90 miles away and go "Daytwoh" often. I hope this show is renewed. We love all the characters Renew the show PLEASE!

March 25, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Adam

This show could be a hit. The problem is there isnt one likable character in it, no one has a personality. To me the acting is flat. NYPD Blue is 100x better. Recast or add more characters. I wish it luck.

November 18, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. Tiger

I love the show. I watch it mainly because of Michael Imperioli. He's a great actor. Most people I've met who used to live in Detroit say it's a shame how it's gone downhill. That's not a good review of the town. Detroit can't hide the fact it's undersirable to live in. Anyone want to go on vacation there with me? Didn't think so.

October 11, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. cajunmama

Visited Detroit to see castmember of Detroit 187. Was very impressed with the city and state. Was there only for a week, but so many things to do and many things left to see, so will def be returning to see more of what Detroit and the area offers. Sorry to have missed the zoo and the river boat ride, but on my bucket list. Impressed with the Henry and Edsel Ford homes, look forward to seeing the Ford museum. Did get to see a Detroit Tigers game, very enjoyable. Wan to see the Red Wings in action. Got to get a coney. Luv Det 187 and it's cast, hope it stays on to see the characters develop and see Dr Ward do her roller derby. Wonder what really happened in New York.!!!

October 8, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. razzy

After seeing the first 3 episodes of DETROIT 1-8-7, I would really like to visit Detroit, Michigan someday. The TV show has shown some beautiful parts of Detroit. Seems to be a very modern city with it's good and bad, but overall, Detroit is portrayed in a positive light. Detroit, Michigan is lucky to have a television series filming in their town... it brings a lot of attention and revenue to the city. DETROIT 1-8-7 ROCKS !!!!

October 7, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  7. I Love The Henry Ford

Spent the day with my family at The Henry Ford. Specifically the museum as when we arrived some liquid sunshine (aka rain) had started so we went from Plan A (The Village) to Plan B (the Ford museum). FANTASTIC visit. Haven't been there in a year and we're now wondering why not? It was a great visit. My 7 year old son was jumping up and down and kept thanking my wife and I for taking him. I had a blast and the rest of the family seemed to enjoy themselves immensely.

A good time was had by all. Even if we dropped a hundred bucks just on getting in the front door and buying some cheesy plastic injection mold thingys.

Over the next few weeks it's Halloween in the Village. We'll be back!!

73 to my ham radio friends de N8ASD.

September 25, 2010 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
  8. Duncan

I moved from Detroit years ago and am happy to see anything positive happening in my birth city. We all know that major cities have major crime, so nothing should be shocking to viewers or Detroiters. I look forward to the series and seeing scenes of areas of Detroit I grew up in and love.

September 23, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. iceandsnow3

To Moonwitch – Don't you think that perhaps you should give this new show a chance? There's been plenty of shows in the past that have started out "ify" and eventually become really quality shows. I agree that Michael Imperioli truly shone on The Sopranos but I also know that he will get better and better on this show – because he is a fine actor. You say this show will be gone after 4 episodes....maybe, but possibly not. By the time the 4th episode rolls around the viewing audience will be more attached to the characters and care what happens to them. No one can predict what the quality of this show will be like down the road......including you. Don't be so narrow minded!

September 23, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ron

One of the problems is 1-8-7 is the California Penal Code section for murder. It's not some cop code used everywhere. They're using a California Penal Code section as part of the name for a show based in Detroit. Producers didn't do their homework.

September 23, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jill

My husband and I loved the show and are crossing our fingers it will continue. Good Luck Detroit 1-8-7, we are with you too.

September 23, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  12. Lisa

I watched the show and did NOT like it. I will not watch it again. It appeared to me that the "rookie" was killed as his cell phone was going off alerting him of his wife delivering their baby.

September 23, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  13. Myrna

Having lived on the east side until I was 30 I was concerned that the city may come across in a very negative manner. Yet I was excited to see all the familiar sites that I've known & loved my entire life. I hope the show continues so the rest of the world is able to see all there is to love about Detroit! I will continue to watch the show which I thought was the best drama I've seen in years.

September 23, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  14. Nancy Brown

So was the the ROOKIE killed or what at the end of the show?

September 23, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  15. MoonWitch

In my case, having been a resident of the outlaying suburbia of Detroit for 39 years, doesn't really mean anything. I know Detroit but I also know bad writing, acting, directing, script, plot and storyline and this had it all. Michael Imperioli was fabulous in the Sopranos, but his execution in this train wreck is beneath him. This plot is beneath him. The story is beneath him. Forget the ketchup/coney/pop/soda/slice issues, this show has much bigger Saganaki to fry. In short, it's awful, unbelievable and poorly acted. Frankly, some of the worst performances I've seen in prime time ever. Certainly not HBO material and certainly not worth the DVR disk space to retain a "Season Pass" to this show. This show will be gone in 4 episodes.

You heard it here first.

September 23, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  16. Matt

As a metro-Detroiter I am watching. I like that we get a nod here or there on TV since this is a very TV loving area. We love our sports and TV shows as much as we love our city, maybe more. ;-) So far, I enjoyed it. I hope to keep enjoying it.

I agree about the Soda vs Pop issue, when I was in college it was a lively debate for all the kids coming in from out of state. Its a fun Michigan thing. We also need someone on the show to put their hand up like a Michigan map and say to someone from out of state "I'm from here." Then, they will have arrived.

I wished at one point that when "the news" was shown on the show that it would have been our local ABC 7 instead of the made up station's they used. On other shows I see them have a channel 7 logo and it looks like the local ABC 7 logo and I don't mind. It would be a nice nod to the local affiliate and mid-Michigan if nothing else.

Good luck Detroit 1-8-7, I'm with you.

September 23, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  17. Jack

man, that soda thing is really bugging people (that's the first complaint most of my friends had about the show.) i've lived here my whole life and almost always say soda. and the deal with the one cop putting ketchup on the coney was commented on by the other cop.
    overall i think the show will be great for the city, a ton of people i know are getting work either as extras or in other production jobs on the show, much more so than any of the movies being filmed here

September 23, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  18. Lisa

I woujld really like to see this show, but when is it on?? Does it say it in the story or did I miss that?

September 23, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  19. Julie

I loved the show and will continue watching it.

September 23, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  20. Jason

It's "POP", not "SODA". geez people.

September 23, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  21. Lee

I watched last night, because of Michael Imperioli ( aka Christopher). It was good, though not up to the level of NYPD Blue or Hill Street Blues, at least not yet. Hopefully it will get even better.

September 23, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
    • KKKKKatie

I hope it gets better too. At first I thought it was so-so but by the end of the episode I decided to watch the next episode, so I think there is a lot of potential with the characters and stories.

I for one, am sick of seeing everything set in NY or LA. I think a change of scenery will be nice even if it is just another crime drama.

September 23, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  22. DetroitGirl

We say "pop" here...not soda pop and we'd NEVER put ketchup on a coney. Little clankers only the locals would pick up. :)

September 23, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Jenny

I just got into an argument yesterday about the pop vs soda thing. If you come to Michigan....it is POP! Soda is baking soda! =)

September 23, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
    • detroitgirl

I grew up in Detroit and I am disappointed that it was not shot entirely in Detroit and yes we say POP...you ask for soda and you'll get Arm and Hammer...I too am disappointed in how my town is being run and looks but it'll bounce back...and with a vengance because it's rich in history and has great bones.

December 22, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  23. ShawnlovesDetroit

I moved from TN to Detroit, MI in 2007. Before moving, I thought I was going to hate it. What I found when I got there was a city rich in history, culture and pride, despite the gang beating the economy had taken due to decline of the auto industry. Go 30 miles any direction of downtown Detroit and you'll find some of the most beautiful communities in America. I hope this show gets a chance to show America some of those places: the Henry Ford, Greek town, that amazing baseball stadium. There's still a lot to love in Detroit.

September 23, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Jenny

@ShawnlovesDetroit–you are 100% right! Downtown is awesome! People love to hate on D-Town because they have an idea of what it is like without ever actually going there! We have casinos, Ford Field, Comerica Park, THE JOE! (Sorry HUGE Wings fan!) great restaurants, wonderful traditions and everything else you could want. Now venturing to far outside of downtown I wouldn't recommend but they are improving that too. Don't call it a comeback! We have been here for years! LOL!

September 23, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  24. Valentina

I really liked it. It wasn't perfect, but it was entertaining and has great potential. And, I think it will be good for the city. I'm definitely looking forward to next week's episode.

September 23, 2010 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  25. Dot Dot Dot

I'm not sure I'd say it was complimentary to Detroit, and it's not the best show ever (some moments got a little too cheesy) but it's different enough than everything else out there, and definitely has potential to be better. I love, love, love Michael Imperioli so even if the show sucked rocks (which it doesn't), I'd still watch it just for him. The undercover cop-turned-homicide detective is pretty dang hot too, another compelling reason to watch. I hope it sticks around a while and has a chance to grow into a solid show.

September 23, 2010 at 5:07 am | Report abuse |
  26. Adriana

"I love you Christofah..."

"You bettah!"

September 22, 2010 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  27. me

Detroit is a sewer. I hope they don't sugarcoat it

September 22, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • shannon

when was the last time you were actually in Detroit? Downtown is beautiful and has made a lot of strides in the past 10 years. Sure some of the outer neighborhoods are still bad, but you get that in every big city–New York, Chicago, Los Angeles...

September 23, 2010 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

@Shannon-if by "outer neighborhoods" you mean "neighborhoods immediately bordering downtown, then yes, Detroit's "outer neighborhoods" are pretty awful. The moment you leave downtown, it's a desolate war zone. Still.

September 23, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  28. Tony Soprano

Kwistophah. how i murdered thee.

September 22, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  29. tammy

I didnt like the show. it could have been better

September 22, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Gina

Can't wait for this show. Ever since the Sopranos ended, I've missed seeing Michael Imperioli aka my favorite character, "Christopher". I just hope this show is good... TV really needs some better dramas.

September 22, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |