'Glee' comes back - with quite a few changes
September 22nd, 2010

'Glee' comes back - with quite a few changes

[Editor's Note: You know the drill: If you haven't seen this episode of "Glee" yet, stop reading now.]

Oh, how quickly things change in high school. “Glee” is back after a long summer hiatus and there are several noticeable differences in the New Directions' world.

One: Tina and Artie broke up after Artie ignored her for a video game (been there, sister). Tina and Mike are now dating after discovering each other at an artistic Asian camp.

Two: There’s a new football coach in town… and he’s female. Shannon Beiste, played by actress Dot Jones, is already one of my new favorite characters, especially since she forced Sylvester and Schuester to team up for some adolescent pranks. Fist bump!

Three: Rachel got bangs. Mercedes lost some weight. And Quinn is back in charge of the Cheerios (with Santana on the bottom of the pyramid). Plus, all the girls seem to have developed some dancing skills over the summer – their performance during “Empire State of Mind” was awesome.

But of course, there are some things that never change. Puck still makes me swoon when he pseudo-raps, and Artie still tops Finn’s “lead” vocals any time he opens his mouth. The songs from last night’s episode are still on repeat in my head – even the ones I don’t really know the words to.

Filipina singer Charice blew me away in this episode and I’m hoping we see her again. That such a big voice could come from such a tiny body will never cease to amaze me. Her duet with Rachel in the bathroom – although cut short by Coach Sue – was comical and her solo from “Dreamgirls” was just… wow.

More importantly, though, is newcomer Sam Evans. He had my favorite line of the night: “I’ve never had any balls in my mouth. Have you?” Perhaps he’ll relegate Finn to the drums for good – after all, he was discovered in the shower (just like Finn), is now the quarterback of McKinley High (just like Finn) and has that pretty-boy look only a high school girl could love (just like Finn).

To be honest, some of the funniest moments of the premiere came during the commercial breaks. The Members Project ad with Coach Sue had me cracking up (and wanting to volunteer my time), while Betty White’s line during the “You Again” ad put a smile on my face: After all, “Glee club was for dorks.”

I feel like I should end this post by throwing a slushy in your face. Do you prefer strawberry or grape?

1. XTIAN

CHARICE is overwhelming with talent and that makes the musically inclined fans want to watch Glee & probably be addicted to the show..I think David Foster,Oprah Winfrey,Ellen Degeneres would more than agree..

♫ Pyramid ♪ we built this on a solid rock ♫
    It feels just like it’s heaven’s touch ♫
    ♪ Together at the top ♪Like a pyramid ♫..- WITH CHARICE, THAT’S WHERE GLEE IS GOING

September 23, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jessica

I think it's pretty hilarious that people are bashing the show based on it's lackluster character development. How do these people not understand that the show is supposed to be this way? Let me clarify: it's not a deep, prophetic show about the meaning of life in the mind of adolescence. It's supposed to have stereotypes because they're poking FUN at the stereotypes! It's light hearted because it makes people laugh and the music is entertaining with some true powerhouses providing the vocals. It's not a drama. It's supposed to be this way, and I fell in love with it because of that. I watched Lost for all 6 seasons, wracking my brain through countless twists and turns, and i watch Glee because my brain needs a break and I like the music. Everyone has their entertainment getaway. When did everyone become such TV snobs?

September 23, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dhen

i enjoyed the pilot episode. the cast was great. the most hilarious scene for me is when VA director carried Sunshine's hello kitty backpack..that was totally lmao.

hope to see Sunshine in the coming episodes. she's a breath of freah air

September 23, 2010 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  4. panday's_wife

More of Sunsshine Corazon please, please,please

September 22, 2010 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Brett

Does anyone know if the actress who plays Santana really got a boob job? I love her so much, she is so hot, and I really like her voice. She should be my girlfriend.

September 22, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Trudy

Glee makes me smile. It's mindless entertainment. For one hour I can't to see what song they sing next. Great Show.

September 22, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Santana1

Glee – ROCKS!!!

September 22, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jenna

The only part of the show that resonated with me was that last Finn and Rachel scene. It was vulnerable and honest and I think the two of them balance each other nicely.

September 22, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. amanda

I think Glee is one of those shows that if you don't watch it from the very beginning you won't get it. So before you judge, watch all of last season.

September 22, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. CELTIC COUGAR

I was in Glee Club in HS in a small Southern town where football is almost a religion. We always had to play second fidle to the band and sports teams, SOOO my hat is off to a show that can celebrate the hard work it takes to put on a concert!!! Also... any word on if the suits will have Damian McGinty on as a guest?? He is quite the handsome dude and he can realy sing!!! Check him out on the Celtic Thunder web site, you won't be disapointed.

September 22, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Blue

I love the show, it does promote showing off your talents despite the pressure of teen life. I also love the shows rendition of the songs and how they give credits and recognition to all the popular artists. In this season, Charice blew me away with a superb performance I want to see more of her in the show, I love the cool rendition of Billionaire by Chord, one of my fave songs plus I love as well their Empire State version and Lea's What I did for love. Hoping to see more awesome episodes.

September 22, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Me and Bre

Loved it! Loved it! Loved it! Need I say more?

Oh yeah, one more thing, Justin Timberlake as Mr Shu's younger brother.

September 22, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Holly Golightly

How is this show advertising for gays?

September 22, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daphne

That was my argument. Apparently there was a post removed to which I had responded stating that the show was an advertisement for gays. I saw red when I read this. It's a television show, its entertainment, enjoy it. Or dont enjoy it and turn on something else. That is why we have the gift of a billion and one odd channels and just as many television shows. You dont have to watch what you dont like.

September 22, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Joe

I am VERY picky when it comes to what I watch, and I absolutely love Glee. After a huge first season that made it the most Emmy nominated series of the year, the bar was set very high last night, and they exceeded every hope I had.

Quinn and Santana cat fight? Meeeeow! Sue and Will teaming up against the Beast? Awesome and hilarious.

"The Beast" is a fantastic actress, by the way. I hope she stays on for awhile.

Speaking of fantastic actresses – Jane Lynch, you are a god.

September 22, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alison

I'm picky about what I watch too... that is why I watch MODERN FAMILY!

September 22, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Another great show Alison! Love it. Can't wait for season premiere tonight!

Ahhh...TV junky week continues.

September 22, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Alison

Lame show that has worn out it's welcome unless you are a 13 year old girl desperate for an extension of the High School Musical franchise. Nothing special about it at all. I tried to like this show but it is silly and all the characters are stereotypes.

September 22, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  16. cynthia lim

Charice Rocksss!!! I wanana see more of Charice in the show,hope she'll come back

September 22, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  17. AS

I love how people bash a show – they are quite obviosuly watching! If you don't like it – why do you watch? Is it just to prowl message boards? Get a real life – watch what you enjoy and comment on those message boards, instead of watching what you dislike just to criticize it.

September 22, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Anthony

Charice did a great job! That performance of Listen was superb! What a powerful voice! Can't wait for more!

September 22, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Holly Golightly

Love the show. And I love musicals, perfoming, and character development. Do people really have nothing better to do than read a story about a show they hate then post negative comments about it?

September 22, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Marylena

To anyone who is actually a fan of musicals and performances, this show is unwatchable. To anyone who is actually interested in character development beyond stereotypes, this show is unwatchable.

To anyone who prefers four-for-a-dollar candy bars that taste like cardboard with a dash of Hershey syrup over 80% dark Belgian chocolate, this show is a dream come true.

September 22, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • megan

but but but the people who watch this show *are* fans of musicals! they like, totally saw "wicked" this one time!

September 22, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Emiyl

What a blanketed statement. I happen to be a big fan of musicals. My favorite musical is probably The Light in the Piazza, and no, it's not because Matthew Morrison played Fabrizio. And I also happen to enjoy character development. Sometimes, it's fun in watch a show that is just plain silly. It's cleverly written, laugh-out-loud funny, and contains a ton of catchy music. Just because you don't like the show doesn't make it unwatchable television.

September 22, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marylena

Emiyl – perhaps to you a lack of character development and the exploitation of stereotypes makes for "laugh out loud funny" television, but all I have seen when I've attempted to watch this program is a cheesefest that is embarrassing to watch.

September 22, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Johnny Drama

Yes, and Marylena, the God of TV and the ultimate TV critic has spoken. We must all believe her oh so educated opinion. Whatever, loser.

September 22, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • JLS

Actually I'm good with just 80% dark Belgian chocolate–thanks. :) But I assure you that you can't buy that ANYWHERE 4 for $1. ;-)

There is plenty of development in this show, I'm impressed the range of heavy issues this show tackles in a meaningful yet light hearted way........you know the way that more people will get the message.

September 22, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Sean

Last night's episode blew me away. I already have the songs from the season premiere on my iPod lol. Their rendition of "Empire State of Mind" was epic. My cheeks were actually hurting from smiling so much. It's nice to know that after a crappy day, I can rely on Glee to cheer me up. Welcome back Gleeks!!

September 22, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • danielle

sean, im with you! my cheeks hurt from smiling!! :) LOVE GLEE!!

September 22, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  22. hot_babenic

charice...sunshine...awesome...voice...hope she stays!!!!!!

September 22, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • SPIRIKITIK

I hope she gets more publicity, she'll be a big hit in the future.

September 22, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • J

I know!!! Charice is my fave pop star!!! Her voice is just awessome i love Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaarice's songssssss

January 21, 2011 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |
  23. Emily

Wow. What's with the Finn bashing? I thought he did a great job last night. Puck was great, too, except on Empire State of Mind. His rapping was ATROCIOUS. He just mumbled the lyrics in a monotone voice. I honestly don't understand why that performance made you swoon.

And also, what about the absence of Matt Rutherford, played by Dijon Talton? After giving him only two lines last year, he now conveniently "transferred" to a different school. I was very disappointed by this, and also disappointed that it wasn't included in your recap.

September 22, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Shay

@Emily, I was also looking for info about Dijon....that WAS a conveniently transfer.

September 22, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  24. melissag

You missed that one kid was gone from the glee club! Matt, the african american kid transferred to another school!

September 22, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  25. B-Dog

This show is un watchable cr@p.... Worse than Will and Grace.

September 22, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  26. jpjg

Love the show! Last nights episode was great and I hope the rest of the season continues this way!

September 22, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • RichardRedlin

We love Glee too and are so lucky to have Lauren Potter (Becky Jackson) on our cool new series! Read all about it !

November 4, 2010 at 4:16 am | Report abuse |
  27. Daphne

I hardly think the purpose of the show is to advertise for the gay community. I think it is so encouraging for the show to show so many different types of characters to show teens that there are many people from many different backgrounds that are going through the same thoughts and feelings. And so what if they do want to advertise. You have the option of changing the channel. No one is forcing you to watch Glee. Im sure there are some episodes of The 700 Club you could still turn on. Glee is one of the most entertaining shows that have been on in a long time. It takes current problems in high schools and brings them to light offering a good message on how to handle and deal with them. Would you rather they just sling some guns around and beat people up?? Because that seems to be the common alternative these days. Not to mention in my own opinion the music and talent is fantastic! Lighten up, not everything is about politics these days.

September 22, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |